HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Sanguinetti - reassigned to HFD (merged)

Old
09-24-2009, 12:27 PM
Salvage21

vCash: 500
re-posted:

I must say, as big of a Michael Del Zotto fan I am(favorite prospect since he was drafted).. I'm a bit disappointed that Sanguinetti didn't make the cut. Honestly, I don't think he got a fair chance at it after his little misstep in the skating portion of training camp. With that said, Congrats to Gilroy and Del Zotto-each of which presumably made the team! I hope Semenov stays in the fold as the 7th defenseman and rotates in and out for Gilroy and Del Zotto when either of them look as if they are getting worn out or have particularly bad games.

Salvage21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 12:30 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvage21 View Post
re-posted:

I must say, as big of a Michael Del Zotto fan I am(favorite prospect since he was drafted).. I'm a bit disappointed that Sanguinetti didn't make the cut. Honestly, I don't think he got a fair chance at it after his little misstep in the skating portion of training camp. With that said, Congrats to Gilroy and Del Zotto-each of which presumably made the team! I hope Semenov stays in the fold as the 7th defenseman and rotates in and out for Gilroy and Del Zotto when either of them look as if they are getting worn out or have particularly bad games.
Sangs played good defensively but I saw none of that offense that got him 29 goals 2 years again in the OHL. I think he would have had a better chance of making the team thinking offense-first during preseason, just my opinion though.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 12:31 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlaxburger2 View Post
Anyone have any idea what's going on?
He's 21. He had a very good rookie season in Hartford (especially the latter part of the season). He's very talented. He was defensively "sound" in the preseason. And he looks like he has a good shot at making the club within the next couple seasons.

Unfortunately for him, you had two other rookie defensemen that said "screw it" to defense and went for it with breakout passes, joining the rush and offensive zone work. And they are dynamic defensemen at that and it fit exactly what Tortorella is looking for.

So it just isn't Sanguinetti's time.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 12:42 PM
Vitto79

so correct me if I am wrong, the Hartford D is:

Williams, Sanguinetti
Kundratek, Sauer
Heikkinen, Potter
Henley

man that is depth. I imagine someone may be moved cause they must have others vying for spots and you can't send all to the ECHL can you?

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 12:44 PM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
so correct me if I am wrong, the Hartford D is:

Williams, Sanguinetti
Kundratek, Sauer
Heikkinen, Potter
Henley

man that is depth. I imagine someone may be moved cause they must have others vying for spots and you can't send all to the ECHL can you?
Good point, that is excellent depth.

Sauer and Potter could be NHLers but Torts seems to look past them just because he wants more offense and attacking out of the back end.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 12:46 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

On Sangs, I thought he played well. Better on defense then I thought he would but he sacrificed some offense playing cautiously. He reminds me of a player like Tom Poti.
Posted via Mobile Device

NYRFAN218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 12:48 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Good, now all we need is Seme~ to go away.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 12:49 PM
gravytrain6t

I love MDZ but IMO, I'd like the Rangers to give he and as they just did with Sangs, another year. We all know the two will be here for years upon years to come. We already have one "highly skilled" offensive defensman making the team in Gilroy. So far i like what i see from the huge Russian Semenov. I'd rather be ensured we're more sturdy on the blue line with our 7th defense men. Semenov's got that long reach to swipe pucks away. He also could take some pressure off of Staal as being the primary shutdown defender.
  1. Gilroy Staal
  2. Rozsival Girardi
  3. Redden Semenov

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 01:02 PM
Senorchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
On Sangs, I thought he played well. Better on defense then I thought he would but he sacrificed some offense playing cautiously. He reminds me of a player like Tom Poti.
Posted via Mobile Device
That's exactly what I've been thinking all through pre-season. That's no bad thing - Poti is a perfectly serviceable 3/4 defenceman, but he just doesn't have the swagger/self-belief that Del Zotto and Gilroy seem to, that can turn offensive Ds into game breaking Leetch/Green/Campbell types.

Of course, he's still young, and it could just be nerves, but I've always had the belief that swagger can't be taught - you're either born with that kind of personality type, or have had it instilled in you over the years by your parents.

Senorchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 01:14 PM
ThirdEye

Tortorella did the right thing, even if Sanguinetti is older and more experienced.

In reality though, there's still a better chance that Sanguinetti will see more games this season. Del Zotto will be analzyed under a microscope those 9 games, and I could easily see Tortorella sending him back without hesitation if he isn't impressed. After that, there's no coming back for him... which means Sanguinetti (or possibly Sauer) will likely play out the remainder of the season.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 01:16 PM
NYR Viper

I think it pretty obvious who the first call-ups will be this season. Both Sanguinetti and Grachev have been around longer than everyone else and have been taught how to play the Torts system. They seem to be the early front-runners as the first call-ups if needed which is good for both of them.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 01:17 PM
free0717

Bobby

Go back to the pack with a good attitude. You almost made it. Work on your game and your strength and you will be the first call up when there is an injury.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 01:24 PM
clmetsfan

I'll add to the sentiments that this is not a big deal for Sangs. I think he showed Torts and everyone else that he is capable of being at least a serviceable NHL dman right now, just not a dynamic one yet. He proved that he won't be the liability in his own end that many feared he would be. As long as he maintains a positive attitude in Hartford and concentrates on rounding out his two-way game, he'll be back on Broadway soon enough.

clmetsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 01:25 PM
zarao

There's something Crosby-like about Del Zotto. I think he's going to be a stud. Also, agree with the Sangs/Poti comparisons.

zarao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 01:26 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissButch View Post
That's not exactly correct. There’s a 9 game limit where the ELC kicks in as you stated. But there is also a 40 game limit. Goes the player, in this case Sangs, past this 40 game mark, he can't get send down anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Pretty sure you can still send them down, but they lose a year of waivers protection after 40 games
Regardless, I stand corrected. I thought that you were bound to the player after 10 games. I think however that for all intents and purposes, MDZ's season will be decided before his 10th game. The question will be asked I'm sure: Is it worth starting his NHL clock for his services this season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlaxburger2 View Post
I may be a debbie downer here (which wouldn't be a surprise), but is the proverbial writing on the wall for Sangs? He certainly hasn't lived up to the billing thus far. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Thanks.
It depends on what you're reading. Is the message on the wall that he's the 8th best defender in the organization? Probably.

Or are you interpreing it to mean that he's a potential bust and this failure in September to crack the lineup is an indication that he'll never make it? That's way too soon not only for a 21 year old but for a 21 year old defenseman.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 01:27 PM
NYR Viper

Sangs =/= Poti.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 01:30 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
ouch.

lets hope not.

i just dont think we saw enough of the best of bobby sangs this camp. he needed more games and i think he would have begun to stand out more.

as soon as gilroy scored that terrific goal and del zotto played so well on the pp, it was going to be tough for bobby to stand out from that point on.

with mdz and gilroy seemingly ready to go, mcdonogh lurking at u of w one more year and all that talent in hartford, i smell the makings of a pretty good trade from strength coming up at the deadline.

bobby sangs and brandon dubinsky for..... ???

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 01:34 PM
DutchShamrock

Let's not forget, Sanguinetti dedicated his entire AHL year towards improving his defense to prepare for his career as an NHLer under Renney. MDZ was untainted, for lack of a better word, by Renney's expectations for a defenseman. These are to defenders known for their offense drafted one year apart. One was told to focus on D, the other was told to focus on O... is it any wonder one is less confident with the puck than the other. He'll be fine.

I have a question. Where are we with the 50 NHL contract limit with MDZ as an NHLer? Because, correct me if I'm wrong, Semenov is still on a try out and assuming he or another vet gets a contract we are that much closer. I thought we were at 49 without either MDZ or Semenov signed.

So consider that while discussing the defensive logjam in Hartford... we may be forced to deal someone or send Del Zotto back to junior. We'll have to make a move soon anyway.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 01:36 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

The Poti comparison isn't neccessarily a bad thing. A lot of people forget how well he played in 05-06 because of how bad he played the years before that. As someone else said, he's not as flashy as Gilroy and MDZ but he'll be a solid Dman.
Posted via Mobile Device

NYRFAN218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 01:41 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
I'll add to the sentiments that this is not a big deal for Sangs. I think he showed Torts and everyone else that he is capable of being at least a serviceable NHL dman right now, just not a dynamic one yet. He proved that he won't be the liability in his own end that many feared he would be. As long as he maintains a positive attitude in Hartford and concentrates on rounding out his two-way game, he'll be back on Broadway soon enough.
Very, very well said.

09-24-2009, 01:47 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
The Poti comparison isn't neccessarily a bad thing. A lot of people forget how well he played in 05-06 because of how bad he played the years before that.
and how he continued to steadily improve his game to two years after that.

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 01:50 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

One important thing Sangs accomplished is that I think he acquitted his defensive game quite well. There won't be any fear calling him up and worrying if his defensive game will be a deficiency. He just needs to go back to Hartford and figure out how to be defensively sound without sacrificing his offensive skills which is what Torts will be looking for. Work on his PP skills. Shoot more. He could end up being more like Kimmo Timonnen than Tom Poti

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 02:11 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
He could end up being more like Kimmo Timonnen than Tom Poti
Mark Staal or even better, IMO.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 02:49 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
2 years in the minors is absolutely fine and normal for his development.

In his first year in the AHL, Artem Anisimov did very well. In his second year in the AHL, he established himself as a top5 forward in the league. Going into his 3rd year of pro hockey, he's been assured a roster spot.

In his first year in the AHL, Bobby Sanguinetti did very well. In his second year in the AHL, he can establish himself as a top5 defenseman in the league (like Franson). In his 3rd pro season, he can experience his rookie campaign in the NHL as Anisimov is about to.

Light up the minors Bobby and train like hell during the offseason because now you know what a Torts camp is like.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 02:53 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Mark Staal or even better, IMO.
Marc Staal and Sangs are two different types of players. Staal is a defensive defenseman first whose offensive potential has yet to be realized, but still has a bit of a low offensive ceiling. If Sangs' ultimate offensive game draws comparisons to Staal, then I think he'll be a disappointment.

clmetsfan is online now   Reply With Quote