HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Dave King Impressions

Old
09-21-2009, 04:58 PM
Tom Polakis
W-L-W-L-W-L...

vCash: 500
Dave King Impressions

Coyotes fan here (yes, we still exist):

Dave King was just hired by the Coyotes as a second assistant coach. Currently, Ulf Samuelsson is running the team, and Gretzky is nowhere to be found. So in the event that the Coyotes do stay in Phoenix (please) and Gretz really leaves and King becomes head coach, I wondered what Blue Jackets fans think we could look forward to. Did he seem to make sensible decisions on who plays and their line assignments, did the young players develop under him, that sort of thing...

Tom Polakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 05:03 PM
hashmarks

Dave King is a very smart hockey guy and will be a great asset to the 'Yotes. He will organize them like they have never been organized before and is very good at putting players in a position to succeed. He will have a lot more to work with in Phx than he did in Columbus as well.

This was a smart hire by Phx.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 05:14 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

I really like Dave King, and think he was given a raw deal here in Columbus. He should never have been let go.

That said, based on your thread title, I thought you were going to post vids of someone doing impressions of Dave King.

Old
09-21-2009, 05:14 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post

This was a smart hire by Phx.
Agreed, he'll be your head coach soon.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 05:19 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
He'll work well with the Yotes young core, moreso than the expanison cast of misfits that he had during his time here.

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 05:22 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Polakis View Post
Coyotes fan here (yes, we still exist):

Dave King was just hired by the Coyotes as a second assistant coach. Currently, Ulf Samuelsson is running the team, and Gretzky is nowhere to be found. So in the event that the Coyotes do stay in Phoenix (please) and Gretz really leaves and King becomes head coach, I wondered what Blue Jackets fans think we could look forward to. Did he seem to make sensible decisions on who plays and their line assignments, did the young players develop under him, that sort of thing...
I wasn't paying attention during the King years, sadly, but everything I've read about the situation is that he lost his job here because MacLean went on a power trip, and that he did really well otherwise.

So I'd be optimistic, myself.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 05:30 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I wasn't paying attention during the King years, sadly, but everything I've read about the situation is that he lost his job here because MacLean went on a power trip, and that he did really well otherwise.

So I'd be optimistic, myself.
I heard ego trip

Regardless, he was let go prematurely and for the wrong reasons.

Old
09-21-2009, 05:32 PM
Macster

With the amount of young players you guys have, King is a great fit. He's a teacher and as hashmarks said, will implement a structured system that could lead to some success, given the young talent in Phoenix.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 05:38 PM
CapnCornelius

I'd like to see King get a fair chance in Phoenix. He certainly didn't in Columbus.

Somewhat surprised to see him make it back to the league after, if memory serves me, vocally siding with the Russians in the NHL's dispute with the KHL.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 05:38 PM
Ludicrous Speed

King had a tough situation here, but I strongly believe he would be the man for the job in PHX.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 05:57 PM
blahblah

I never thought he should have been fired. I think he's a great hire.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 07:00 PM
RickS

I remember when he was hired, MacLean raved about him being a good coach for young players. Unfortunately, we had mostly a team of older castoffs. By the time we started to get some good youngun's, King was long gone.

RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 08:53 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Great with youth, a very smart man and knows the game..., sort of quiet but since having Howson the quiet types are the way to go. Let me know if he still wears that yellow sport jacket.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 09:41 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
With the amount of young players you guys have, King is a great fit. He's a teacher and as hashmarks said, will implement a structured system that could lead to some success, given the young talent in Phoenix.
Couldn't have said it better. Kinger is a great hire for the Yotes.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 09:53 PM
Tom Polakis
W-L-W-L-W-L...

Thanks for the replies, everybody. We're not sure if Gretzky (or the team) is going to stay or not, but it sounds like seeing King behind the bench would be a great change from watching Gretzky's blue-in-the-face routine.

There is plenty of young talent, and Coyote fans are generally in agreement that it has not improved under his reign. And his mostly random line combos have been mind boggling. Laugh if you will, but I think the Coyotes could compete for a playoff spot with the right X's and O's guy at the helm.

Home opener against your team is less than three weeks away!

Tom Polakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 09:57 PM
Doug19

vCash: 50
I wish King was still part of CBJ's coaching staff. Good coach and a great guy. He knows how to develop young kids.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 10:03 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRiffle View Post
I wish King was still part of CBJ's coaching staff. Good coach and a great guy. He knows how to develop young kids.
I'll never forget his incessant habit of taking notes... His little pad must have been full after every game.

Old
09-21-2009, 10:20 PM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

Pick up his book "King of Russia" its a great read and you'll learn a lot about the man.

http://www.amazon.com/King-Russia-Ru.../dp/0771029128

Paisano* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 10:24 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBum View Post
Pick up his book "King of Russia" its a great read and you'll learn a lot about the man.

I'd assume he speaks Russian after coaching there, is that true?

Old
09-22-2009, 06:54 AM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Polakis View Post
Thanks for the replies, everybody. We're not sure if Gretzky (or the team) is going to stay or not, but it sounds like seeing King behind the bench would be a great change from watching Gretzky's blue-in-the-face routine.

There is plenty of young talent, and Coyote fans are generally in agreement that it has not improved under his reign. And his mostly random line combos have been mind boggling. Laugh if you will, but I think the Coyotes could compete for a playoff spot with the right X's and O's guy at the helm.

Home opener against your team is less than three weeks away!
I am guessing that you guys will have a new head coach before long as well--Dave Tippet would be my guess. He, King and Burke (who was just promoted to goalie coach and Fuhr was moved to goaltending consultant of some sort--which really means you don't do much) are very tight.

I am guessing a win for the league and no Ballsillie considering these coaching moves.

Old
09-22-2009, 07:06 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBum View Post

I was just going to post that. One of the more interesting hockey books I've read, and lots of insight into his expectations, as well as his critique of N. Amer players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I'd assume he speaks Russian after coaching there, is that true?
Not really. He had his assistant coaches translate for him most of the time.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 07:33 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
I am guessing that you guys will have a new head coach before long as well--Dave Tippet would be my guess. He, King and Burke (who was just promoted to goalie coach and Fuhr was moved to goaltending consultant of some sort--which really means you don't do much) are very tight.

I am guessing a win for the league and no Ballsillie considering these coaching moves.
I certainly hope so. I can just imagine how things would be for King with Balsillie and his newly-MacLean-equipped team.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 07:44 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
I remember when he was hired, MacLean raved about him being a good coach for young players. Unfortunately, we had mostly a team of older castoffs. By the time we started to get some good youngun's, King was long gone.
These. I know I weighed in on this once already, but this, more than any other "what if" in Jackets history, weighs on me most when looking back.

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 07:50 AM
bluejacketsfanwpsl

Dave King without DMGM.....that's a good thing.

bluejacketsfanwpsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 05:33 PM
kingbrutis

That what weve been hearing in Phoenix. Tippet is waiting for the dust to settle.

Quote:

kingbrutis is offline   Reply With Quote