HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

wondering how the former canuckers are doing

Old
09-23-2009, 10:37 PM
rajvandam
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
wondering how the former canuckers are doing

hey guys, just wondering how bertuzzi and cloutier have been doing during training camp/preseason... are they disappointing like i think they are? or are they pleasant surprises?

rajvandam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 10:48 PM
JustinW

It would be funny if Cloutier won the cup in detroit.

JustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 05:34 AM
kuick
Tatar Sauce

Both are playing surprisingly well from what I've seen and read.

Cloutier has a small chance for a 2 way contract but I have no clue where he would play. He's been solid but the only reason that he might not be signed is we don't have room for another goalie and he would just take time away from our 2 goalies already splitting in the AHL.

Bertuzzi has been better also, fighting for a second line spot.

kuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 06:08 AM
Drunkspleen
Face of the company

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajvandam View Post
hey guys, just wondering how bertuzzi and cloutier have been doing during training camp/preseason... are they disappointing like i think they are? or are they pleasant surprises?
not much worse than Samuelsson who's only production so far has been a secondary assist on a tip-in.

Drunkspleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 08:48 AM
CC Chiefs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandonFerraro View Post
Both are playing surprisingly well from what I've seen and read.

Cloutier has a small chance for a 2 way contract but I have no clue where he would play. He's been solid but the only reason that he might not be signed is we don't have room for another goalie and he would just take time away from our 2 goalies already splitting in the AHL.

Bertuzzi has been better also, fighting for a second line spot.
Babcock has said many times, whom ever is the better goalie is staying with the DRW. I believe he means what he says.

CC Chiefs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 09:19 AM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooper wings fan View Post
Babcock has said many times, whom ever is the better goalie is staying with the DRW. I believe he means what he says.
Uh, no. Babcock has not said that.

Sorry to disappoint you if you were hoping for a battle, but Howard will be Osgood's backup. The best Cloutier can hope for is a two-way contract offer and a chance to play for an AHL team (which won't be Grand Rapids since Detroit already has two goalie prospects slated to play there).

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 09:36 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack View Post

Sorry to disappoint you if you were hoping for a battle, but Howard will be Osgood's backup. The best Cloutier can hope for is a two-way contract offer and a chance to play for an AHL team (which won't be Grand Rapids since Detroit already has two goalie prospects slated to play there).

I dunno, DJ.
If the Wings feel Howard isn't up to the task, and if they think Cloutier can get it done, my guess is that they'd keep Cloutier and trade/waive Howard.

I don't think we've seen anything to suggest that's the case, really. Cloutier looked decent in limited work.
Howard has been OK. Nobody has done enough to win or lose a job.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 09:51 AM
CC Chiefs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack View Post

So are you saying this a mis-quote?

Red Wings goalie Jimmy Howard might be out of minor league options, but Detroit coach Mike Babcock said that excuse won't guarantee him a backup role behind Chris Osgood.

Old
09-24-2009, 10:30 AM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:

Red Wings goalie Jimmy Howard might be out of minor league options, but Detroit coach Mike Babcock said that excuse won't guarantee him a backup role behind Chris Osgood.
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....k_on_wzam.html

That's the link to the quote. I'd like to point out that he refers to Larsson in this article, not Cloutier.

I thought Cloutier has played well in the limited time he's gotten. Definitely hasn't hurt his chances.

Bertuzzi has looked like Bertuzzi. I read that he was in better condition and wanted to return to his old form. He hasn't looked bad either. I hope he has a good season, the Wings would use it, and so could he.

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 11:02 AM
SirKillalot

vCash: 390
It's time for Bertuzzi to be a beast again. He just need that confidence.

SirKillalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 11:22 AM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
I dunno, DJ.
If the Wings feel Howard isn't up to the task, and if they think Cloutier can get it done, my guess is that they'd keep Cloutier and trade/waive Howard.

I don't think we've seen anything to suggest that's the case, really. Cloutier looked decent in limited work.
My assessment of the situation is that the backup job is Howard's to lose. Cloutier represents the fallback plan. However, the only way someone not named Howard was going to start the season as Osgood's backup was for Howard to play horribly in camp and the preseason. That hasn't happened. That's why I say the best possible outcome for Cloutier now is for him to get that two-way contract, go down to the AHL, and wait by the phone.

Once the regular season starts, the pressure will remain on Howard to perform. I'm not sure how much rope he'll be given, but IMO there's a 0% chance that anyone will take the backup job from him before the season starts, unless he gets injured. As you said, he's played OK so far. In truth, he's played better in the preseason than Osgood has. I don't see how that can result in any other outcome than Howard being the backup, for now at least.

Quote:

I'm saying that the quote you pasted in means something different than what you claimed it to mean. Babcock put Howard on notice that he's got to play well because he's not entitled to the backup job and Larsson is knocking on the door. That is not the same thing as

"Babcock has said many times, whom ever is the better goalie is staying with the DRW."

This is not an open competition. The job is Howard's to lose. Those are two different things.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 12:07 PM
skinneh
#FireHolland

vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajvandam View Post
Its a bit early to tell on Bertuzzi for sure. He hasn't played with his line yet (Zetterburg and Cleary) because they are out right now with sore groins.

I hope he does well!

skinneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 12:11 PM
Shoalzie

I'm going to assume they bring Cloutier along for the trip over to Sweden...just as an emergency #3 goalie. I think NHL allows teams to do that on these opening games in Europe.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 12:26 PM
CC Chiefs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....k_on_wzam.html

That's the link to the quote. I'd like to point out that he refers to Larsson in this article, not Cloutier.

I thought Cloutier has played well in the limited time he's gotten. Definitely hasn't hurt his chances.

Bertuzzi has looked like Bertuzzi. I read that he was in better condition and wanted to return to his old form. He hasn't looked bad either. I hope he has a good season, the Wings would use it, and so could he.

And this was my post! I never mentioned any names?

Old
09-24-2009, 01:38 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
I dunno, DJ.

The point folks seem to be missing is that deciding if Howard is "not up to the task" is a decision that is likely to come no sooner than the Olympic break/trade deadline.

Back on topic, Cloutier has looked good from what I've seen of him - no worse than how Conklin looked playing "backup" last season. I think Cloutier still has some NHL games in him.

As for Bertuzzi, I have yet to see him play, so I can't comment.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote