HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Forsberg: Would the Rangers want him?

Closed Thread

Old
09-26-2009, 06:37 PM
Turambar

vCash: 500
Stop grasping at straws. The same people clamoring for this to happen were probably at the forefront of the 'sign Dubinsky to center Gaborik' train.

Let Anisimov play, he deserves it with the camp he had.

Old
09-26-2009, 07:29 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Healthy Forsberg ------------------------->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Healthy Sundin
yeah, and the odds of Sundin being/staying healthy>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>the odds of Forsberg being/staying healthy.

Old
09-26-2009, 08:17 PM
NHLsnipers

And he just scored the game winner in OT for Modo....

Old
09-26-2009, 08:29 PM
Nyrvana

He would be our number one center. If we could get him, why wouldn't we? He's still capable of playing at a high level. And if he gets hurt, what's the big deal? He just goes on IR and Prospal goes from winger to center.

Old
09-26-2009, 08:59 PM
Sticky Fingers

last game highlights
http://svt.se/2.19851/1.1705441/fopp...ageArt527895=0

Last edited by Sticky Fingers: 09-27-2009 at 06:02 AM.
Old
09-27-2009, 01:02 AM
nyraider91

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNiMVX7aip4
...yep.

Old
09-27-2009, 09:16 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyrvana View Post
He would be our number one center. If we could get him, why wouldn't we? He's still capable of playing at a high level. And if he gets hurt, what's the big deal? He just goes on IR and Prospal goes from winger to center.
Change the name in your last sentence and you have exactly the Flyers' thinking when they signed Foppa. As we know, the Flyers lost in the first playoff round his first season; they failed to make the playoffs in his second.

The fact of the matter is that there are no easy solutions like "if he's injured, we'll just switch player positions" when it comes to your number one center, who is an international superstar, who has (and loves) his European playing options, and who, when injured, is always a "maybe" for the next game. Forsberg posted points for the Flyers. However, his health - even when healthy - was a constant distraction, eternally covered in the news. Add to that the fact that the team could never gel because he was constantly in and out of the lineup and then toss in the nagging suggestions that he really wanted to be playing at home.

Old
09-27-2009, 09:46 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

If we are struggling, and he comes cheap, I see no harm in it.

Old
09-27-2009, 01:31 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyrvana View Post
Ever heard of team chemistry?

Old
09-27-2009, 02:05 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Ever heard of team chemistry?
Chemistry with forsberg is really simple

1) be on the ice when your on his line
2) get the **** out of his way and wait for a tip in pass

Old
09-27-2009, 05:04 PM
Ola

If you bring in Forsberg it can't be to put him in a major role.

I think thats why he himself mentioned Caps as a good alternative. There he would always end up behind their 1st line atleast in a smaller role.

As people above have pointed out, you just can't change up your entire team by bringing in a major name in the last minute and expect everything to come together in a hurry. But the man can still play. The trick is just to have a good role for him, preferbly a 10-14 minute role early on, that can grow later.

Old
09-27-2009, 11:38 PM
NHLsnipers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohf View Post
He looked incredible every time he was shown there....

Old
09-28-2009, 01:32 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLsnipers View Post
He looked incredible every time he was shown there....
everyone's favorite is reporting that scouts are also saying he is looking incredible.

"The is as good as he has looked since the lockout. He isn't just playing like he has no pain, he is starting to instigate."

The problem still remains, we got no room for him. Not on the roster, not on the cap. He's still such an intriguing player though. If we could get him on the team in place of Drury...

Old
09-28-2009, 02:46 AM
Ola

Higgins-Dubinsky-Gaborik
Forsberg-Drury-Kotalik
Avery-Anisimov-Callahan
Prospal-Boyle-Brasher

Would look pretty good...

Old
09-28-2009, 10:59 AM
NHLsnipers

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
The problem still remains, we got no room for him. Not on the roster, not on the cap. He's still such an intriguing player though. If we could get him on the team in place of Drury...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Higgins-Dubinsky-Gaborik
Forsberg-Drury-Kotalik
Avery-Anisimov-Callahan
Prospal-Boyle-Brasher
We can make room if need be. Anisimov wouldnt make the team I assume.

Or we can just watch Detroit pick him up for nothing and go on another Stanley Cup run with him, while our "youth gets experience"

Old
09-28-2009, 11:59 AM
heeheemonkee

Quote:
Higgins-Dubinsky-Gaborik
Forsberg-Drury-Kotalik
Avery-Anisimov-Callahan
Prospal-Boyle-Brasher

Would look pretty good...
i agree up to the point with Drury and Forsberg together on the 2nd or 3rd line. They played well together behind Sakic.

Old
09-28-2009, 05:08 PM
Sticky Fingers

Third game and his third goal.
http://svtplay.se/v/1707693/hv71-modo_3-1

Old
09-28-2009, 06:37 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLsnipers View Post
Or we can just watch Detroit pick him up for nothing and go on another Stanley Cup run with him, while our "youth gets experience"
Good point that ruins your argument for Foppa.

Detroit can actually win it all if they sign Forsberg and he is the damaged, frequently absent player he was his last few years in the NHL. The Rangers aren't Detroit. They are far closer to the two Flyers teams that crashed and burned with Forsberg as their linchpin centerman. And then there's the 07-08 playoffs for the 'Lanche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohf
Is the important stat here that he's scored three goals or that he's played in three games?

That Forsberg can score everyone knows. The question to be answered is, can he stay healthy? The answer for the last seven years has been "no." Three games for Modo this year don't change that answer.

Last edited by dedalus: 09-28-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Old
09-29-2009, 06:20 AM
Ola

dedalus- The thing is, look at his points per game stat for Colorado -- while playing on one leg.

I mean, I wouldn't want to be in Billy Guerin's body. I am sure he is pretty darn banged up. Or the Gary Roberts of the league. These guys are also done and banged up -- but everyone still wants them.

They play in smaller roles for long stretches and are expected to bring experience to the team -- and maybe get a bigger role in the PO's. You don't mess up team chemistry by bringing in a Billy Guerin, you don't have to change the outlook of your team if you bring in a Billy Guerin.

Why couldn't Forsberg play in a role like that? Forsberg certainly didn't help Nashville and co. He was brought in to be the best player in the league -- but today it wouldn't be like that. Nobody is expecting him to come in and be better the AO for 100 straight games. Heck nobody would expect him to be healty more then a week or two.

Forsberg wouldn't be a good fit with Gabby anyway. Like he wasn't a good fit with Martin Erat in Nashville. He needs to play with guys who sets up in the crease and one-times the puck. And players who can transport the puck up ice and give it to him in the attackingzone. Gabby needs players who opens up ice for him, and who can give the puck fast to him.

If we could bring Forsberg to NY, for like nickle and dimes, my advice would without any doubt be to start him for like the first 20 games with Boyle and Brasher. Don't kick out Anisimov or Prospal, kick out Voros. Give him 4th line minutes 5 on 5, and some PP time. Let him get injured and miss 2-3 weeks here and there during the season.

Then when its 20 games left of the season, you start giving him bigger dutys. Like look at Sweden in the Olympics, Forsberg basically didn't play much at all before the finals.

With that approch you won't risk to mess up your team more then you do when you bring in a Billy Guerin. And it definitly don't seem unlikely that Forsberg would be able to contribute down the line when it matters.

Old
09-29-2009, 06:59 AM
FromTheSide

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohf View Post
http://svtplay.se/v/1707693/hv71-modo_3-1
The question is ,if he was ready to come back would he sign with the av's or will he go for a team that is playoff-bound/contender?

Old
09-29-2009, 07:31 AM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

As much of a fan of Forsberg that I've been over his career, I don't think signing him would be the best use of NYR resources this early in the season. I just don't know if he could come back as the same player after the insane amount of injuries he's suffered his last few NHL seasons.

If Prospal can't maintain top level play consistantly, and Dubi isn't ready for the role, I think this team is going to be in a world of trouble as currently constructed. But I don't see any centers out available, Forsberg included, that could save us from that scenario.

Old
09-29-2009, 08:18 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
dedalu
If we could bring Forsberg to NY, for like nickle and dimes, my advice would without any doubt be to start him for like the first 20 games with Boyle and Brasher.
Cool post....

Although I see the benefit in easing him into the icetime, there is zero chance the Rangers sign Forsberg to play on a line with Huggy and Boyle. Thats just not the NY way. If he can skate he becomes the Rangers best player.

If Forsberg can skate he's a good fit for anyone who can put the puck in the net. Guys with good shots. He's the best passer to ever play in the NHL. His vision and hockey smarts are so intune.

No doubt he'd help Brashears stats, but he's gotta be with guys like Cally, Gabby, Grachev etc.

Old
09-29-2009, 08:25 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalRanger View Post
The question is ,if he was ready to come back would he sign with the av's or will he go for a team that is playoff-bound/contender?

Seriously....the Avs are projected to be the worst team in the NHL. On the one hand he could be a friendly sign to put butts in the seats in Colorado, help rebuild the team, agree to a trade at the deadline to a contender and get the Avs some needed rebuilding assets...

Or sign with a team that has a shot and go for one last chance to win the Cup. If Im Forsberg I'd be waiting to see if Washington has any goaltending and/or defense. Because if they do, I want to sign on that team and put them over the top.

The Rangers? Playing in NYC for the Rangers is always tempting. The city and the franchise are great fits for Elite players. But does he make the Rangers a contender? I don't see it today. Maybe that will change by the spring. Alot of pieces would need to click...ya know?

Plus it makes three key guys who are injury prone in Gabby Avery and Forsberg....risky business

Old
09-29-2009, 09:32 AM
eco's bones

The let's sign Forsberg thread comes up at least one time every year. You can be pretty sure it's not going to happen. Personally I don't think Peter has ever been that jazzed about being a Ranger and he could have easily been one the year the Flyers signed him. Back then he was not always that healthy either but since then he's been out injured or retired almost constantly.

Saying that I wouldn't absolutely against it. I think Ola makes a good point that you would have to put him in a support role--not in a No. 1 center role. Considering our current cap situation he would have to come cheap. As well Anisimov needs to stay in New York--he's earned his spot and outgrown the AHL. I wouldn't hold back his development for an older, more often than not injured player. If those conditions were met then I could see signing him.

Old
09-29-2009, 09:36 AM
FromTheSide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post

The Rangers? Playing in NYC for the Rangers is always tempting. The city and the franchise are great fits for Elite players. But does he make the Rangers a contender? I don't see it today. Maybe that will change by the spring. Alot of pieces would need to click...ya know?
Force lundqvist to call him up.
"Hey man....remember that one time i won sweden the gold medal? yeah you should totally sign here so we can be teamates"

Closed Thread