HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Skoula signs tryout agreement (Edit: Released)

Old
09-24-2009, 02:30 PM
hashmarks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
No kidding. Moore would be a desperation move attempted to fill in a skill gap you haven't been able to fill anywhere else. Skoula is an experienced d-man meant to replace one of the exisiting guys in case of an injury. The only things you are looking for is to verify your old scouting reports to where he is now and his general health. If you don't know what Skoula (coaching staff and management) is after being in the same conference with him over the last few years, there is a problem. Heck they might not even need a preseason game to figure out if they want to extend him a contract offer.
I can't imagine he would be asking for the moon either. The guy could have gone overseas but is willing to do what it takes to stay in the league, that says at least a little bit about the guys' desire anyway.

Quote:
My question is how is could Holden have convinced anyone (at least the fans) that he's ready to be the 7th dman? I mean, Clitsome, at least you've seen him play the last two weeks.
I know, right? I mean how he even factors into the mix is beyond me, yet people feel comfortable with him being our depth? Talk about grasping.

I feel like all Skoula has to show is that he is one ounce better than the others at camp and he will be extended a contract. I know I will feel much better with him in the mix and have Clitsom/Lifiton/Reese as the 8-9th and up.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 02:33 PM
Casework

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
He's got a week(if that) to impress the hell out of the organization. I'm not sure how I fee about it. Depth isn't a bad thing, but Holden/Clitsome/Moore have me convinced we're in good shape at the 7/8 dman slots. I know others probably disagree. Lets see how Skoula looks on the ice.
Wow, really?

Holden just took the ice today and isn't even taking part in contact drills.

Moore has been pretty exceptional but could very well be sent back to juniors.

I'll admit that I feel a lot better about Clitsome, but my fears were right about Roy, and Sigalet seems to have disappeared since the start of camp. How does that make you feel good?

I like this move, though. Florida has a pretty solid D group and with signing Seidenberg (who, really, had a pretty average year last year, Tyutin outscored him) it makes sense they wouldn't want to commit to him before they see how things shake out.

Most seem to feel he's good in a #5 role and great in a #6 role which is right where we could use him.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 02:37 PM
RDriesenUD

This is a good move. We may have a few young dmen playing well, but....

Moore isn't a 7/8 dman. He is either on the team or playing in juniors. And the rest, just like Moore, have never played in the NHL. We have no clue how they will do once it counts. We do with Skoula.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 02:41 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

A one year, two-way contract would be okay by me.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 02:45 PM
Casework

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
A one year, two-way contract would be okay by me.
A two-way contract wouldn't mean anything other than he gets paid less if he were sent to Syracuse. Players of his age (or that have played as many games as him) have to pass through waivers regardless. I doubt someone like Skoula gets through especially once the season starts.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 03:02 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
This is the move I've been waiting for. He may or may not be signed to a one year contract, the real significance is that it tells me Howson is done hoping one of our training camp depth defenseman is good enough to back up our defense in the 7th spot.

Skoula might be the first of several lower tier and affordable veteran tryouts we see before October 3rd. Remember, 29 teams are starting to trim their rosters, good move Howie.

Edit: I do want to make one thing clear, I was hoping our depth could fill our 7th spot going into training camp, as I'm sure Howson was. But I also knew that if the player we needed was not in camp there would many affordable VETERAN players in the NHL pool as we drew closer to the beginning of the season.

Last edited by Robert: 09-24-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 03:06 PM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
This is a good move. We may have a few young dmen playing well, but....

Moore isn't a 7/8 dman. He is either on the team or playing in juniors. And the rest, just like Moore, have never played in the NHL. We have no clue how they will do once it counts. We do with Skoula.
I'm optimistic about the current crop, I'll admit. I want to see Skoula on the ice. How does he not make the cut in Florida?

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 03:21 PM
Aging Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Was thinking more like Dick Tarnstrom myself.
Who???

Aging Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 03:24 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
I'm optimistic about the current crop, I'll admit. I want to see Skoula on the ice. How does he not make the cut in Florida?
Florida wanted him to wait on their decision until after they came back from Europe. He didn't want to be put on hold.

Old
09-24-2009, 03:33 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Skoula's point numbers arent that great, but he is durable. Out of a possible 738 games, he played in 724.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 03:35 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
Skoula's point numbers arent that great, but he is durable. Out of a possible 738 games, he played in 724.
That's important to me, iron men are hard to find.

Old
09-24-2009, 03:38 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
That's important to me, iron men are hard to find.
Pretty amazing in 10 years to only miss 14 games.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 03:42 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Skoula thinks we're worthy all of a sudden, eh?

Worth a shot, gang, IMO. The durability looks nice & if he can help us out, all the better. Plus, it's a tryout, so if he sucks/isn't what GMSH & Hitch want, he's gone. If it does work out, we've got another NHL defenseman & somebody occupies the press box when he's in. We wanted NHL-caliber defensive depth, here comes some.

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 03:44 PM
CapnCornelius

Keep in mind, this is a tryout. If something sexier comes through on the waiver wire before we sign this guy (and that's a real possibility with teams like Anaheim finding they have more NHL-ready defenseman than they expected going into camp), he'll be gone.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 03:46 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Anybody gotten a fan review of him? Puck-Rakers said Hitch talked to Lemaire & that Lemaire & Minny were fond of him.

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 03:51 PM
Nordique

Quote:
agreed. Maybe I'm being too critical, will be interesting to see him on the ice...soon I hope.

Old
09-24-2009, 04:55 PM
Brassard Calder

Quote:
When you play as soft as he does, it isn't as amazing as it seems.

Brassard Calder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 04:59 PM
Brassard Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
Anybody gotten a fan review of him? Puck-Rakers said Hitch talked to Lemaire & that Lemaire & Minny were fond of him.
I'm not a fan of Skoula. The Minnesota fans I know weren't fond of him, but Lemaire did seem to like him for some reason. He plays way, way, way too soft for my liking. For a guy his size he should use it to his advantage and he doesn't at all. He hasn't really been much of an offensive threat in a long time. That being said, it's only a professional tryout, so it cant hurt to give him a shot. Hopefully it works out, but I'm not holding my breath.

Brassard Calder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 05:09 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassard Calder View Post
I'm not a fan of Skoula. The Minnesota fans I know weren't fond of him, but Lemaire did seem to like him for some reason. He plays way, way, way too soft for my liking. For a guy his size he should use it to his advantage and he doesn't at all. He hasn't really been much of an offensive threat in a long time. That being said, it's only a professional tryout, so it cant hurt to give him a shot. Hopefully it works out, but I'm not holding my breath.
That information is actually useful... Thanks.

Old
09-24-2009, 05:16 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
For being a defensive minded team, they had some odd choices to play on their blueline. Marc-Andre Bergeron, who is one of the most defensively irresponsible defensemen in the league was also on that team last year. And I cringed when there were rumors of Howson pursuing that guy and likely overpaying him because of his 32 points last year. I guess when your forwards are playing conservatively you can turn a guy like that loose without great consequence.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 05:17 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casework View Post
A two-way contract wouldn't mean anything other than he gets paid less if he were sent to Syracuse. Players of his age (or that have played as many games as him) have to pass through waivers regardless. I doubt someone like Skoula gets through especially once the season starts.
Exactly! If he plays to the point we want to send him down, we'd WELCOME somebody else claiming him.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 05:18 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
If he has anything to give, Hitch will find it. At least they are making visible effort to bring in some real depth.

Old
09-24-2009, 05:33 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Skoula is the Czech version of Backman but without the hefty salary. Both players are built like tanks yet they'd have a hard time fighting out of a wet paperbag.

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 08:27 PM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz View Post
Skoula is the Czech version of Backman but without the hefty salary. Both players are built like tanks yet they'd have a hard time fighting out of a wet paperbag.
Scott Torgerson said as much on the drive home today.

"I told Rigordatti during break that Skoula would be this year's version of Backman. There is no way this guy should make the team."

I'm trying to keep an open mind.

Old
09-24-2009, 09:11 PM
MFRONE

Quote:
Scott Torgerson said as much on the drive home today.

"I told Rigordatti during break that Skoula would be this year's version of Backman. There is no way this guy should make the team."

I'm trying to keep an open mind.
But like many have said, Holden and Clitsome are much better options?

At the vet minimum, I fail to see how this could be a bad move.

MFRONE is offline   Reply With Quote