HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Skoula signs tryout agreement (Edit: Released)

Old
09-24-2009, 09:15 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Scott Torgerson said as much on the drive home today.

"I told Rigordatti during break that Skoula would be this year's version of Backman. There is no way this guy should make the team."

I'm trying to keep an open mind.
My grandfather knows more about hockey and the NHL in general than those two buffoons, and he's been dead since 1993.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 09:21 PM
MephistoIV

Send a message via AIM to MephistoIV
I am excited to see what he can do in these last few days on training camp. Definitely could be offered a contract if he makes an impression here!

MephistoIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 09:24 PM
whitesox_2000_22*

JUST an FYI coming from Panther camp, Skoula was just brutal this preseason...playing soft and turning pucks over like he is flipping burgers. I think you guys have a much better defence then this unless they need some depth in the AHL he is not worth the time!

whitesox_2000_22* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 09:29 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Something something something puck poise
Something something something Seidenberg

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 03:33 AM
warlockmb

This is a great move as it is a try out and he can be released at anytime. Maybe he just needs a change of scenery. Is he the PPQB answer hell no but can not hurt either. To compare him to Backman is just ridiculous because he can probably be had for the league minimum and is a great 7th for that. If he does not work out then he is released and then Clitsome, Holden or Roy become the 7th. From what I have seen and heard though Liffiton may be the guy to get the call before the other 3 if Skoula is released.

warlockmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 04:01 AM
54toscore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
Anybody gotten a fan review of him? Puck-Rakers said Hitch talked to Lemaire & that Lemaire & Minny were fond of him.
Last year ate up 20 minutes a game on a Lemaire-coached team (5th in ice time among D). You have to think Lemaire knows what he's doing in terms of defense.

Opinion of a Colorado fan (several years of watching Skoula 50+ times a years, plus seeing Minnesota for divisional games and that playoff series two years ago): Good skater, decent positionally, gets the puck out of the D-zone fairly well. Occasional mental lapses and turnovers. Based on his skating and Europeanness, frustrating lack of offensive contribution. But the thing that annoyed Colorado fans and then Minnesota fans the most was the utter lack of physicality. Big frame, but never throws body checks, instead playing positionally or relying on stick work. Not a good PP QB.

54toscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 08:31 AM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
My grandfather knows more about hockey and the NHL in general than those two buffoons, and he's been dead since 1993.
Scott knows hockey. I'm not defending his position on Skoula, but I want to say that these guys are a huge upgrade over the "The Big Show" in terms of hockey knowledge...and the inclination to actually talk hockey on the radio.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 09:08 AM
SweetLoup

Martin Skoula

Hi. Can anyone tell me what Skoula's jersey number with the Jackets is ?

Thanks.

SweetLoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 09:13 AM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

I'd imagine we'll know shortly. He may not have one yet, as he was signed yesterday.

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 09:38 AM
danielfloyd

I am a little concerned that Backman beat him out in Florida. I know this is just a tryout agreement, and I know Florida may have merely lost their minds (and if they are keeping Backman, that is a possibility), but if Florida was on to something, and Backman was playing better than Skoula then it's not worth it. I wouldn't want Backman as a 7th, 8th or 9th defenseman. As everyone has said, I'll hold a final judgment until I see what he can do.

danielfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 09:47 AM
5StringBuzz

On the other hand, perhaps Skoula will fit our system better than Backman. I'm not sure it's much of a recommendation of your system if Backman's a good fit.

5StringBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 10:14 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielfloyd View Post
I am a little concerned that Backman beat him out in Florida. I know this is just a tryout agreement, and I know Florida may have merely lost their minds (and if they are keeping Backman, that is a possibility), but if Florida was on to something, and Backman was playing better than Skoula then it's not worth it. I wouldn't want Backman as a 7th, 8th or 9th defenseman. As everyone has said, I'll hold a final judgment until I see what he can do.
When did Backman beat him out in Florida?

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 10:40 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

I do not know whether Martin will get a place in the roster. I think not. We have 6 defensmen: Ťjutin, Commodore, Russell, Hejda, Methot, Klesla + Sigalet and especially Moore who, IMO, could play in the roster. But when Skoula will suprise it will be very good, we will able to trade Klesla.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 10:49 AM
danielfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
When did Backman beat him out in Florida?
http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/live/...s.html?sid=101

I read it somewhere else as well yesterday, but I can't remember where right now. Backman is not signed yet, but they released Skoula and kept Backman on for further try out.

Old
09-25-2009, 10:55 AM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLoup View Post
Hi. Can anyone tell me what Skoula's jersey number with the Jackets is ?

Thanks.
The Dispatch says he's wearing #42 at practice today.

dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 10:59 AM
SweetLoup

gracias !

SweetLoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 11:02 AM
5StringBuzz

Quote:

I read it somewhere else as well yesterday, but I can't remember where right now. Backman is not signed yet, but they released Skoula and kept Backman on for further try out.
I think Hashmarks posted a couple of times that Florida wanted Skoula to wait longer for an answer, and he didn't want to wait, so they released him. Perhaps Backman is just willing to sit and wait longer.

5StringBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 11:08 AM
hashmarks

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA28Flyer View Post
I think Hashmarks posted a couple of times that Florida wanted Skoula to wait longer for an answer, and he didn't want to wait, so they released him. Perhaps Backman is just willing to sit and wait longer.
Yes. They wanted him to wait on their decision on him until after they came back from Europe. He didn't want to be put on hold. Backman didn't beat him out of anything.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 11:39 AM
danielfloyd

I don't doubt that they wanted Skoula to wait until they got back from Europe, but I cannot find that information anywhere. Was he making the trip with the team but did not want to wait, or was he supposed to wait here in the states for them to get back. I ask because Backman is making the trip with Florida, which only includes 24 players, so if Skoula was not making the trip, it would seem that Backman was a step above him in Florida's eyes. Either way, if he didn't want to wait for Florida, how will he react if we make him wait or try to send him to the AHL? I still say I won't make a judgment before he has a chance, but I don't see anyway to spin his release from Florida into a positive.

Old
09-25-2009, 11:45 AM
hashmarks

Quote:
I don't doubt that they wanted Skoula to wait until they got back from Europe, but I cannot find that information anywhere. Was he making the trip with the team but did not want to wait, or was he supposed to wait here in the states for them to get back. I ask because Backman is making the trip with Florida, which only includes 24 players, so if Skoula was not making the trip, it would seem that Backman was a step above him in Florida's eyes. Either way, if he didn't want to wait for Florida, how will he react if we make him wait or try to send him to the AHL? I still say I won't make a judgment before he has a chance, but I don't see anyway to spin his release from Florida into a positive.
People are making waaaaaay to big of a deal about his supposed 'realease' from Florida and the fact that Backman is still there.

The reality is that Backman is also a decent 6/7th guy for an NHL team at the right price--for 3.5 it was a joke (and it was the St. Louis management that misdiagnosed his skill/potential/abiliy, not ours--we just had to pay him for it), but he was a plus player in his 50+ games he played for us, but got picked apart mercilessly on here anytime he didn't make the perfect play. All the while other players made similar mistakes, but were never mentioned. Backman or Skoula would be depth for an NHL club, that's it. Don't expect more and you won't be disappointed.

He is who is: a bigger guy who doesn't use as frame as well as he ought to, but a decent 3rd pairing guy and some solid NHL depth for us. He is with us on a PTO and would likely signed a low one-way with us if he does sign.

This is a NO-RISK move for the jackets and I hope he is suited to the team and becomes a jacket.

Old
09-25-2009, 11:57 AM
Nordique

Quote:
Thats a good point. I don't know the details, but one thing is for certain, he didn't win the job over Backman, that alone is unnerving.

I've been tied up in meetings most of the day. Did Skoula skate? Did anyone get a look at him?

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 12:02 PM
danielfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post
People are making waaaaaay to big of a deal about his supposed 'realease' from Florida and the fact that Backman is still there.

The reality is that Backman is also a decent 6/7th guy for an NHL team at the right price--for 3.5 it was a joke (and it was the St. Louis management that misdiagnosed his skill/potential/abiliy, not ours--we just had to pay him for it), but he was a plus player in his 50+ games he played for us, but got picked apart mercilessly on here anytime he didn't make the perfect play. All the while other players made similar mistakes, but were never mentioned. Backman or Skoula would be depth for an NHL club, that's it. Don't expect more and you won't be disappointed.

He is who is: a bigger guy who doesn't use as frame as well as he ought to, but a decent 3rd pairing guy and some solid NHL depth for us. He is with us on a PTO and would likely signed a low one-way with us if he does sign.

This is a NO-RISK move for the jackets and I hope he is suited to the team and becomes a jacket.
I'm not trying to make a big deal out of it. At first, I was just saying that I wasn't going to get excited about someone, who was beat out by Backman (Whom I personally do not think is a capable 6th d-man... it seemed like at least once a game he was caught out of position or took a stupid penalty). Then my comment that he was beat out by Backman was called into question, and I defended it. With every post I have said, and I will reiterate here, that I will not pass judgment on Skoula until I see him play. I would obviously be excited if he were good enough to stick around... that is an improvement. However, I still will not get all excited because an NHL vet is invited to try-out.

Old
09-25-2009, 12:10 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Backman (Whom I personally do not think is a capable 6th d-man... it seemed like at least once a game he was caught out of position or took a stupid penalty).
I get what you're saying but the flip side of this is -- name an NHL 6/7 d-man who isn't/doesn't. Heck, after Hejda, name a Jacket defender who isn't/doesn't.

Old
09-25-2009, 12:13 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
I'm not trying to make a big deal out of it. At first, I was just saying that I wasn't going to get excited about someone, who was beat out by Backman (Whom I personally do not think is a capable 6th d-man... it seemed like at least once a game he was caught out of position or took a stupid penalty).
Who wasn't? Clearly he IS a capable 6th dman because that is where he played...he scored a point or two and was a plus player which means, for the most part, he held his own. He had all of 32 PIM's last year so he obviously didn't do what you described (it probably seemed that way because of the way this board lit up everytime he made a mistake)...scored 2 goals which is only 1 below the league average in goals scored for dmen. If not for him scoring the gwg vs. SJ we might not have gotten in the playoffs.

Quote:
Then my comment that he was beat out by Backman was called into question, and I defended it. With every post I have said, and I will reiterate here, that I will not pass judgment on Skoula until I see him play. I would obviously be excited if he were good enough to stick around... that is an improvement. However, I still will not get all excited because an NHL vet is invited to try-out.
I don't see anyone voicing any sense of excitement rather than calling it for what it is: a smart move. I will be happy if he sticks because he is what we are short of, NHL depth. I am more relieved than anything that they have got off of their hands and brought him here.

Last edited by hashmarks: 09-25-2009 at 12:18 PM.
Old
09-25-2009, 12:23 PM
danielfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post
I am more relieved than anything that they have got off of their hands and brought him here.
That is precisely what I mean. We finally managed to bring a D-man in for a try out, and I'm not going to get excited about it just because it finally happened. It seems like a lot of people are thrilled just because we signed someone to a PTO. As for Backman, I already said that was my opinion. You don't have to agree, that's why it is an opinion. Yes, I know lots of defensemen make mistakes, but it is no lie when I say that there were many, many times that I did not even know Backman was on the ice, and I would see someone do something completely stupid, and I would guess it was Backman. About 90% of the time I was right. I can remember one time specifically (I don't remember the game, just the play) when he flattened a player from the other team at center ice, when we had the puck and were on a rush. Not only did his penalty put us on the PK, but it thwarted an odd-man rush. You can defend Backman if you want, that's your right. As for me, I would cry if he came back as the 7th or 8th D-man.