HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Skoula signs tryout agreement (Edit: Released)

Old
09-25-2009, 01:31 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

vCash: 500
I was talking with my wife about this whole situation last night and she said something I think puts nice bit of perspective around the topic.

I'm paraphrasing of course:

"Boy we've come along ways when the burning issue going into the season is the 7th/8th defensemen."

Makes me field better about the coming season when I think about it that way.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 01:40 PM
danielfloyd

That is very true. At least we're not worried about the situation in goal or something like that.

danielfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 02:52 PM
blahblah

And here I thought the buring issue was an offensive dman. Silly me.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 02:54 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielfloyd View Post
That is precisely what I mean. We finally managed to bring a D-man in for a try out, and I'm not going to get excited about it just because it finally happened. It seems like a lot of people are thrilled just because we signed someone to a PTO.
I haven't seen anyone posting that they are 'thrilled'.

Quote:
As for Backman, I already said that was my opinion. You don't have to agree, that's why it is an opinion. Yes, I know lots of defensemen make mistakes, but it is no lie when I say that there were many, many times that I did not even know Backman was on the ice, and I would see someone do something completely stupid, and I would guess it was Backman. About 90% of the time I was right. I can remember one time specifically (I don't remember the game, just the play) when he flattened a player from the other team at center ice, when we had the puck and were on a rush. Not only did his penalty put us on the PK, but it thwarted an odd-man rush. You can defend Backman if you want, that's your right. As for me, I would cry if he came back as the 7th or 8th D-man.
He won't be coming back so you can save your tissues. His level of play was way overblown to the negative on this board. Your choosing to hang onto one play is evidence of that.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 02:56 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
And here I thought the buring issue was an offensive dman. Silly me.
It was...now it is both. We thinned out on the backend so much that apparently people are 'thrilled' that we have Skoula coming for a PTO.

Who knew?

Old
09-25-2009, 03:01 PM
danielfloyd

I'm sorry, I did not know my opinion was so unwelcome on this board. I will take it elsewhere.

Old
09-25-2009, 03:06 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
I'm sorry, I did not know my opinion was so unwelcome on this board. I will take it elsewhere.
bleh, just ignore the trolls. I appreciate your point of view and opinion whether I share it or not.

Old
09-25-2009, 03:10 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Opinons are welcome and so is defending them. Disagreement does not imply you're opinion(s) is/are unwelcome. Common misunderstanding.

Old
09-25-2009, 03:21 PM
danielfloyd

No, I do not expect everyone to share all of the same views as me, but I also do not expect to be ridiculed for giving an opinion. I also do not expect to have someone carry over something that he is making fun of me for into a comment to another person such as: "apparently people are 'thrilled' that we have Skoula. I post on some other forums, and I will just go to them. That's fine.

Old
09-25-2009, 03:26 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
No, I do not expect everyone to share all of the same views as me, but I also do not expect to be ridiculed for giving an opinion. I also do not expect to have someone carry over something that he is making fun of me for into a comment to another person such as: "apparently people are 'thrilled' that we have Skoula. I post on some other forums, and I will just go to them. That's fine.

There is an ignore feature you can use to mute specific posters. I know it can get pretty immature and irrational around here at times. Despite that, its a good forum for getting information, and the majority of posters are pleasant, though alot of the original folks have moved on for the same reasons your stating.

Old
09-25-2009, 03:39 PM
Aging Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
There is an ignore feature you can use to mute specific posters. I know it can get pretty immature and irrational around here at times. Despite that, its a good forum for getting information, and the majority of posters are pleasant, though alot of the original folks have moved on for the same reasons your stating.
Nah they just lost their Moxy

Aging Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 04:03 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Sorry to hear that. This seems like a common case of reading too much into an exchange. I have read the exchange and I am having a hard time seeing the ridicule in question. Debates get heated from time to time and sometimes people see more then what is there.

I do tend to agree with Hash's assessment however. Trying to read anything into Backman being in Florida and Skoula deciding to come over here is probably a stretch and you probably applied a feeling to people's post(s) that was exaggerated, when you used the word thrilled.

On a side note, I'm also sorry someone decided to use your plight for their own righteous indignation.

Old
09-25-2009, 04:27 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

29 year old 6'3" martin skoula on a tryout?

This could be great news..concerning that Florida didn't offer a contract, but what the heck.. loved him as an Av.. not so much as Wild

Not a right handed shot either.. but does anyone know the mph of his slap shot?

Thanks

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 05:01 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGOJackets!! View Post
This could be great news..concerning that Florida didn't offer a contract, but what the heck.. loved him as an Av.. not so much as Wild

Not a right handed shot either.. but does anyone know the mph of his slap shot?

Thanks
His performance on the ice has steadily declined over the years in Minnesota. He was +9 his first season in Minnesota, then -28 combined over the 2 following seasons. He's no longer a top 6 defenseman, but his experience I'm sure would make him a solid 7th/8th. I'm not sure he's interested in that role, and thats maybe why he left Florida before camp ended, just speculating.

I would rather take a chance on a prospect from within our own system than sign an aging vet thats in decline. At the same I understand the desire to have a steady experienced hand on the blue line when injuries dictate the need to dress that 7th or 8th man. There is no black white in this debate, no clear cut easy call to make, its a matter of personal preference. Furthermore its largely inconsequential in the grand scheme of things since we're talking about a non starter.

As for the Florida situation, it is what it is. We're sitting a week out from the opening of the season and he couldn't win a contract, and decided to try his luck elsewhere rather than stick around and see what management decides.

McCabe, Ballard, Allen, Leopold, Seidenberg, Koistinen, Garrison are probably you're top 7 in Florida, with Backman as a spare assuming they send Kulikov back to juniors. If Skoula had stuck it out, would he have beat out Backman and landed a contract? We'll never know, but the fact that he didn't stick around to find out isn't encouraging.

Old
09-25-2009, 05:25 PM
aRussian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Opinons are welcome and so is defending them. Disagreement does not imply you're opinion(s) is/are unwelcome. Common misunderstanding.
Quote:
Yeah, I usually don't speak up because I don't like having my throat ripped out from my neck either, but this place would be EXTREMELY boring if everybody just...agreed

Try not to take it too personally

aRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 06:08 PM
FlaggerX

I don't know. When a guy is cut while the kept Christian Backman it has to worry you.

FlaggerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 07:10 PM
MFRONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaggerX View Post
I don't know. When a guy is cut while the kept Christian Backman it has to worry you.
Obviously you haven't read all the posts in this thread

MFRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 07:52 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Sorry you feel that way.

Just be prepared to back up what you say and don't exaggerate what has already been posted.

Quite frankly the challenge of other posters is what helps me increase my hockey knowledge.

Old
09-25-2009, 08:11 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaggerX View Post
Backman didn't have "Puck Poise"

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 08:14 PM
Renion

Quote:
I like you, and I hope you stick around. We all have our problems. Hashmarks' is sometimes failing to debate without emotion. Two of my many problems are excessive sarcasm and a growing dislike of a large portion of our fanbase. Yours is that you don't have a space in your user name. Kallio's is English as a second language....

We need some more calm heads around here. Stay cool!

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 09:12 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
I like you, and I hope you stick around. We all have our problems. Hashmarks' is sometimes failing to debate without emotion. Two of my many problems are excessive sarcasm and a growing dislike of a large portion of our fanbase. Yours is that you don't have a space in your user name. Kallio's is English as a second language....

We need some more calm heads around here. Stay cool!
Pshaw. I am absolutely perfect.
[/JF]

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 09:27 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Back to Hockey please.

Hashmarks is spot on in her assessment on the hate of Backman. If Backman were earning 750k as opposed to 2300k, he suddenly sucks a lot less. I don't think Skoula is particularly good, but at a low salary (which is what he will probably get), he's an improvement over Roy/Clitsome/Sigalet

The fact is, there is still no depth outside the top 6. Howson is attempting to address this problem, and a PTO carries no risk. If he sucks, he simply doesn't get a contract, no harm done.

Not sure why everyones getting worked up over this

09-25-2009, 09:52 PM
skimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Back to Hockey please.

Hashmarks is spot on in her assessment on the hate of Backman. If Backman were earning 750k as opposed to 2300k, he suddenly sucks a lot less. I don't think Skoula is particularly good, but at a low salary (which is what he will probably get), he's an improvement over Roy/Clitsome/Sigalet

The fact is, there is still no depth outside the top 6. Howson is attempting to address this problem, and a PTO carries no risk. If he sucks, he simply doesn't get a contract, no harm done.

Not sure why everyones getting worked up over this
Correct. If he's at least serviceable, he gives the kids more time to develop and potentially be better in the long run.

skimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 10:36 PM
cbj21

If they sign him I will question why they let Tolly go for this guy all season.

cbj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 11:23 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbj21 View Post
If they sign him I will question why they let Tolly go for this guy all season.
Here, I'll preemptively answer it for you: Injury History. OKT's is horrifying. Skoula's is fantastic. Granted, some of that can be attributed to their respective playing styles, but given that we need a depth defenseman - i.e. one that's not going to be on IR at an inconvenient time - I'd say that's just fine.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote