HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We better have a good "team concept"...

Old
09-24-2009, 01:34 PM
MSG the place to be*

vCash: 500
We better have a good "team concept"...

...Cause that is all I hear Torts' talk about. I do not like this guy, not one bit, since we brought him in. There are two aspects of how I view a coach of a team I root for -Performance of the team and whether I like what we see and hear from the guy. Now obviously the performance is more important but a real fan who watches all the behind-the-scenes stuff and is truly a dedicated fan wants to like the personality of the guy behind the bench. The first week of Torts was refreshing cause it was a new voice and he said some interesting things that Renney would never say like we were out of shape. Now though its the same crap over and over again about team concepts, creating identities, being tougher mentally. I thought Renney was the cliche king until Torts stepped in.

Now lets look at the performance. Not a large sample size but we blew a 3-1 series lead which if Renney did he would have been KILLLLLLED even though we were completely overmatched. Torts was suspended for a game for being a hot head - name me the last playoff coach to do that.

I'm sick of hearing Torts talk but I'm also sick of the fans buying into this guy. Fans think you can bring in guys and Torts will light a fire under them and this team will play hard for Torts. We have no proof of any of this. If Torts can get things going this season I may never like his personality but I can be happy that he's our coach if hes doing a good job. So far though he should have no equity with the fans.

Last edited by MSG the place to be*: 09-24-2009 at 01:43 PM.
MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 01:41 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I'm willing to give 'the bad cop' a try.

He went too far last season trying to be the anti-Renney, now lets see what he can do with a team thats more to his liking.

I have to admit, I have him on a very short leash, cause unlike Renney, he now has players he wanted and said the team needed. Lets see him equal or better the previous coach.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 01:45 PM
BwayBshirt

I saw him in Tampa Bay up close. It never got old. Not one bit.

I have him on a long leash because of that.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 01:46 PM
DutchShamrock

I don't care about what he says to the media. He hates the media and that is fine. As long as he isn't the cliche king in the lockerroom, I'll be happy. Basically, it's not his job to teach us the game plan and make sure we understand it. It's his job to teach the plan to the team and make sure they get it.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 01:51 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWayBShirt View Post
I saw him in Tampa Bay up close. It never got old. Not one bit.

I have him on a long leash because of that.
It never got old?

He was fired only a couple of seasons after winning the cup.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 01:53 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I'm willing to give 'the bad cop' a try.

He went too far last season trying to be the anti-Renney, now lets see what he can do with a team thats more to his liking.

I have to admit, I have him on a very short leash, cause unlike Renney, he now has players he wanted and said the team needed. Lets see him equal or better the previous coach.
That is exactly what Renney did. Renney got the teams he wanted. You think it was a mistake that a defensive minded coach got players from Minnesota, Columbus, NJ and Buffalo. The pre-requisite for any player already here or acquired was an ability to take care of you own end. That is the main reason some one like Prucha, who Renney desperately needed, sat.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 01:53 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
I don't care about what he says to the media. He hates the media and that is fine. As long as he isn't the cliche king in the lockerroom, I'll be happy. Basically, it's not his job to teach us the game plan and make sure we understand it. It's his job to teach the plan to the team and make sure they get it.
You mean like telling your players not to step on the Rangers logo embedded on the carpet with a message of 'respecting the organization,' then getting into an altercation with a fan an being suspended for a playoff game?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 01:54 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
It never got old?

He was fired only a couple of seasons after winning the cup.
He was fired 3 seasons after because Feaster gave him crap to work with.

And do you see who was/is owning the team at the time?

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 01:56 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
That is exactly what Renney did. Renney got the teams he wanted. You think it was a mistake that a defensive minded coach got players from Minnesota, Columbus, NJ and Buffalo. The pre-requisite for any player already here or acquired was an ability to take care of you own end. That is the main reason some one like Prucha, who Renney desperately needed, sat.
At the deadline Slats traded for players Renney specifically said the team was lacking before he was let go.

Old
09-24-2009, 02:00 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWayBShirt View Post
He was fired 3 seasons after because Feaster gave him crap to work with.

And do you see who was/is owning the team at the time?
Yeah having Johan Holmqvist as your number one and an over the hill Sean Burke lurking in the shadows is definitely not a recipe for success.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 02:01 PM
broadwayblue

So far I love this guy. Now let's see what he does with "his" team for a full season.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 02:01 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
You mean like telling your players not to step on the Rangers logo embedded on the carpet with a message of 'respecting the organization,' then getting into an altercation with a fan an being suspended for a playoff game?
I'm not a huge Torts fan but HE DID not tell the players not to step in the logo. A training staff member told a news tv guy not to..
Posted via Mobile Device

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 02:02 PM
ThirdEye

He's won a cup and won coach of the year before. I have him on a long leash too.

Also, the water bottle thing was inexcusable, but if it were me I probably would have thrown more than a water bottle at those idiots.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 02:12 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
The guy preaches accountability and then got suspended for a potential series-clinching game at home. After sitting a guy for putting himself before the team.

He's got some work to do to earn my trust.

09-24-2009, 02:13 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
The guy preaches accountability and then got suspended for a potential series-clinching game at home. After sitting a guy for putting himself before the team.

He's got some work to do to earn my trust.
All he needs is the trust of the players, and I think he has that despite that incident. I doubt he cares what fans think about him

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 02:27 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Uh, no ones complaining.

Why does it ALWAYS have to be 'like him or hate him'? Some of us just think the guy still has to prove himslef, after last years playoffs how is that a shock?

Old
09-24-2009, 02:31 PM
chosen

No matter which side of the coaching controversy you hang your hat on, everyone here, whether they do it consciously or by mistake, admit that in the final analysis it is about the personnel and not the coach.

Yet, they still talk up their view of why "their" coach is better. Funny stuff.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 02:31 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
All he needs is the trust of the players, and I think he has that despite that incident. I doubt he cares what fans think about him
I find those who don't care what people think about htme do so because they won't like what people do think about them.

Yeah he needs to earn the trust of the players. Getting suspended in do as I say not as I do act doesn't go a long way to do that.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 02:33 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I find those who don't care what people think about htme do so because they won't like what people do think about them.

Yeah he needs to earn the trust of the players. Getting suspended in do as I say not as I do act doesn't go a long way to do that.
More importantly, Torts showed that he didn't handle pressure all that well here in the Playoffs and he is going to get a lot more pressure here than in Tampa if he doesn't get them out of the gate quickly.

Imagine Torts coaching under the Montreal press.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 02:44 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

All I want from Tortorella is for him not to contradict himself and to practice what he preaches. And to not get in his own way.

Specifically, wheb he talks about accountability and earning playing time, it should apply to ALL payers on the roster, including veterans, not just rookies and young players.

It seems to me like veterans get a free pass at times.

Also, I don't want him to get in is own way by having personal vendettas with players.

The water bottle thing was embarassing a little, but when considering why he did it, he was defending his players.

I like him, I like him as a coach... I just worry about those few things.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 03:48 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
...Cause that is all I hear Torts' talk about. I do not like this guy, not one bit, since we brought him in. There are two aspects of how I view a coach of a team I root for -Performance of the team and whether I like what we see and hear from the guy. Now obviously the performance is more important but a real fan who watches all the behind-the-scenes stuff and is truly a dedicated fan wants to like the personality of the guy behind the bench. The first week of Torts was refreshing cause it was a new voice and he said some interesting things that Renney would never say like we were out of shape. Now though its the same crap over and over again about team concepts, creating identities, being tougher mentally. I thought Renney was the cliche king until Torts stepped in.

Now lets look at the performance. Not a large sample size but we blew a 3-1 series lead which if Renney did he would have been KILLLLLLED even though we were completely overmatched. Torts was suspended for a game for being a hot head - name me the last playoff coach to do that.

I'm sick of hearing Torts talk but I'm also sick of the fans buying into this guy. Fans think you can bring in guys and Torts will light a fire under them and this team will play hard for Torts. We have no proof of any of this. If Torts can get things going this season I may never like his personality but I can be happy that he's our coach if hes doing a good job. So far though he should have no equity with the fans.

Ill give the guy the benefit of the doubt for quite a while. Hes won a cup unlike the last few coaches who have been here. Every coach has cliches btw, because they are asked the same questions over and over again.

I happen to be a Tortorella supporter, because the guy is honest - even with himself. I like that trait in a coach, and whether or not you like the way he goes about his job or answers questions - well thats the preference of the fan. The bottom line is the performance on the ice, you are right about that.

But no matter which coach you have in here, you'll see both sides of the coin from the fans and you gotta love that. No matter who you are, player, coach, GM in this town - you have to earn it one way or another. That goes hand in hand with this "team concept" hes talking about. This is the best city in the world and he wants the focus to be on the ice and not one of the 200 distractions players can get caught up in over the course of the season, some self-imposed by the organization itself.

I just think you're hearing a ton of this because its really all he has to talk about.

And another thing. This season in particular we are seeing tons of after practice interviews from players and Tortorella almost on a DAILY BASIS. The internet, specifically Rangers on Demand and all the beat writers blogs and twitters have really upped the coverage of training camp, more than any year ever... so if you are thinking things are getting a bit repetitive, its probably because you are ABLE to hear these things first hand every day.

Guarantee Renney last year or any other coach out there would sound like a borken record by now, three weeks into camp when youve got a mic in his face every day.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 09-24-2009 at 03:57 PM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 03:51 PM
Scooter17

There has been a couple times when he has been asked if a specific player is critical to the team and he refuses to admit to the media that they are important. Avery was one example...I think there have been other incidents but I can't remember with who. I think he is an A-hole and can be overly arrogant at times, but as long as the team wins, thats all I care about.

Scooter17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 03:52 PM
ecemleafs

i dont give a **** about a coach as long as hes not a boring ******* and wins games.

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 05:14 PM
MadHookUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
I'm not a huge Torts fan but HE DID not tell the players not to step in the logo. A training staff member told a news tv guy not to..
Posted via Mobile Device
"You didn't have to look further than the dressing room to see where Tortorella has already left his mark. No longer will anyone -- player, coach, trainer, or media member -- step foot on the big Rangers logo in the center of the carpet.

Respect starts there way before it ever shows up on the ice.

"There is not much room on the two sides there, so we're going to have to figure that out," Tortorella said less than 24 hours after replacing fired coach Tom Renney. "I just don't think you should do that. I don't think you walk on a logo anywhere. So, yeah, that's the way it's going to be.""

http://www.nj.com/rangers/index.ssf/..._down_new.html

MadHookUp is offline   Reply With Quote