HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

7 prospects assigned to Grand Rapids

Old
09-25-2009, 12:47 AM
Drunkspleen
Face of the company

vCash: 500
7 prospects assigned to Grand Rapids

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=499699
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. – The Red Wings sent seven players to the Grand Rapids Griffins, their American Hockey League affiliate. The Wings assigned defensemen Travis Ehrhardt, Sergei Kolosov and Sebastien Piche, along with forwards Jamie Tardif and Tomas Tatar. Additionally, forwards Francis Lemieux and John Vigilante were released from their tryouts with Detroit and have joined the Griffins on AHL contracts.
Of particular interest to me is that Tatar was in the bunch, despite management expressing an interest in sending him to a Juniors team instead so that he could play a bigger role.

According to Mlive Tatar might still be going down to the OHL to play with the Plymouth Whalers.

So Would this move be part of satisfying Tatar's contract exit or do you think he impressed enough that they want to see how he can do in the AHL now?

Drunkspleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 04:52 AM
leova

Is that the same Kolosov I've seen around for years, languishing in EHM's free-agent pool?

leova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 05:03 AM
Franzenstein

Send a message via AIM to Franzenstein
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkspleen View Post
So Would this move be part of satisfying Tatar's contract exit or do you think he impressed enough that they want to see how he can do in the AHL now?
If he keeps impressing the coaching staff and management as much as he has already, he should be getting some good minutes in GR eventually, if you ask me. If he can play let him play.

Wondering: If he plays in GR and doesn't pan out, can he still be sent to the OHL?

Franzenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 05:11 AM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzenstein View Post
Wondering: If he plays in GR and doesn't pan out, can he still be sent to the OHL?
yep, the same 10 game rule as in the NHL. actually it's 10 pro games, doesn't matter which league.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 09:37 AM
doublejack

This was an expected move for Tatar. I believe he is still on target to play in Plymouth this season.

No surprises among those who were assigned to GR. None of those players were competing to be one of the first recalls to Detroit, so there's no real need to take a longer look at any of them. I expect we'll see some more cuts before the team heads to Europe.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 10:35 AM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Quote:
Of particular interest to me is that Tatar was in the bunch, despite management expressing an interest in sending him to a Juniors team instead so that he could play a bigger role.

According to Mlive Tatar might still be going down to the OHL to play with the Plymouth Whalers.

Its mostly whats best for his development. If he can hang in the AHL then he should stay. If he can get top 6 minutes then he should stay. I doubt he would get some minutes over a lot of others so a year in the OHL would be better. Him and Seguin would just be a dominant combo. Dominant. He would really wreck the OHL in scoring and i think that could only help him. Not to mention Babs is only a few minutes away so that would be good too. He can watch his progress.

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 10:47 AM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack View Post
I expect we'll see some more cuts before the team heads to Europe.
that's like saying "i expect it to be one minute later in one minute"

the roster has to be set before they play the season opener of course. i think they can carry 2-3 more guys than usual with them to europe in case of injuries. i think it was three, one for every position basically. so they are allowed to go over the cap in europe.

the cuts will come on monday after the wings played three games in three nights. at least that's what babcock said.

Old
09-25-2009, 10:53 AM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
Its mostly whats best for his development. If he can hang in the AHL then he should stay. If he can get top 6 minutes then he should stay. I doubt he would get some minutes over a lot of others so a year in the OHL would be better. Him and Seguin would just be a dominant combo. Dominant. He would really wreck the OHL in scoring and i think that could only help him. Not to mention Babs is only a few minutes away so that would be good too. He can watch his progress.
This. As good as Tatar is, I don't see how he would play in the top six in GR, or be on the first PP unit. So while the level of competition is definitely a couple notches lower, I think there is some logic to playing him in the OHL for one season. Plus, he can come back after the OHL season is done and skate in the AHL playoffs, assuming GR makes it.

Furthermore, you won't hear Holland say this but another major factor is getting Tatar's contract to slide. If he plays in the AHL this season that satisfies the first year of his ELC, leaving only two more. Plus, he'd use up one year of waiver exemptions. If we send him to the OHL the whole deal slides a season, giving the team another full year to let Tatar develop into an NHL player. The difference is that we stand a better chance of getting a season in the NHL out of Tatar while he's still on his ELC (like we're doing with Helm this season). The downside is that Tatar's second contract might be for more money. Filppula played the last year of his ELC in Detroit and was a lot more expensive to sign as an RFA than Leino or Hudler were.

Old
09-25-2009, 11:01 AM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
that's like saying "i expect it to be one minute later in one minute"

the roster has to be set before they play the season opener of course. i think they can carry 2-3 more guys than usual with them to europe in case of injuries. i think it was three, one for every position basically. so they are allowed to go over the cap in europe.

the cuts will come on monday after the wings played three games in three nights. at least that's what babcock said.
I had not heard Babcock's statement.

The Wings do play an exhibition game (or perhaps two?) in Sweden IIRC. So I expect they'll bring several extra players for that, and for injury replacement as you pointed out. I don't know how many extra players the NHL will allow the team to travel with, but my point was that Holland would certainly make the bulk of his cuts before we departed North America (which is days before the mandated roster deadline).

Old
09-25-2009, 11:13 AM
zecke26

Quote:
I had not heard Babcock's statement.

The Wings do play an exhibition game (or perhaps two?) in Sweden IIRC. So I expect they'll bring several extra players for that, and for injury replacement as you pointed out. I don't know how many extra players the NHL will allow the team to travel with, but my point was that Holland would certainly make the bulk of his cuts before we departed North America (which is days before the mandated roster deadline).
ah ok. babcock wants to cut the trash ASAP. that's what i read out of his statement.

they only play one game in sweden i think vs farjestad. and i think since it's the last game before the season, the real team should start. farjestad will run for lives, it's a great experience for them, so the wings will have a good test there.

does GR have a camp this year? i know that they have no preseason games, but in case of a camp they could need the guys rather sooner than later.
maybe larsson, gator, ritola, kindl are candidates for europe, the rest is not.

but they could take ryno with them to stockholm to let him stay there with AIK.

Old
09-25-2009, 03:45 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

UPDATE:

http://apps.detnews.com/apps/blogs/w...hp?blogid=3123

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 08:09 PM
Filppula
Jurks

The fact that Ritola is still with the Wings can only be a very good thing.

One of the first call-ups this season.

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 09:22 PM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filppula View Post
The fact that Ritola is still with the Wings can only be a very good thing.

One of the first call-ups this season.
He looked really good today and looked great on his one shift in OT. Pare was pretty good too so we have lots to look forward to in the future.

r0bert8841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 11:54 PM
FabricDetails

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bert8841 View Post
He looked really good today and looked great on his one shift in OT. Pare was pretty good too so we have lots to look forward to in the future.
Ehh, well, as good as a guy who was -2 could look. He played a no frills kind of game.

I still have high hopes for him. Lately I've heard that he has an upside comparable to PJ Axelsson. Get Ritola, Joakim Andersson over to NA, our supposed Sammy Pahlsson, and Abdelkader (or someone who can really crash and bang) and you got quite the checking line there.

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 12:46 AM
Filppula
Jurks

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabricDetails View Post
Ehh, well, as good as a guy who was -2 could look. He played a no frills kind of game.

I still have high hopes for him. Lately I've heard that he has an upside comparable to PJ Axelsson. Get Ritola, Joakim Andersson over to NA, our supposed Sammy Pahlsson, and Abdelkader (or someone who can really crash and bang) and you got quite the checking line there.
We've got some good character guys for sure. I liken Ritola to a poor man's Filppula.

We've got some handy 3rd liners as well as some highly skilled high end guys like Ferraro, Tatar and Axlesson.

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 09:10 AM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
The team can carry 24 guys on the roster, but the 24th won't count against their cap hit. Holland said they'd take Larsson as the 24th guy, and yeah, it's because they wouldn't have time to call up someone if they needed a goalie back up.

For every other NHL team not going to Europe, the roster limit remains at 23.

Old
09-26-2009, 11:20 AM
zecke26

the manager of AIK says that it's likely that ryno will play for them this season.

http://hockey.expressen.se/elitserie...-forstarka-aik (in swedish)

Old
09-26-2009, 01:32 PM
Evgeny Oliker

is Abdelkader going to make the team??

Evgeny Oliker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 02:18 PM
Frozen Fiend
DOUBLE D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
is Abdelkader going to make the team??
As soon as someone gets injured... so yes.

Frozen Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 02:45 PM
Jussha

how has mursak looked so far in camp? I'm surprised he hasn't been sent down yet. I'm confident he can have a rebound year in grand rapids this season and solidify a top 6 spot there. Hopefully his pre-season play is suggestive of that

Jussha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 03:03 PM
FabricDetails

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
the manager of AIK says that it's likely that ryno will play for them this season.

http://hockey.expressen.se/elitserie...-forstarka-aik (in swedish)

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 10:00 PM
Drunkspleen
Face of the company

It could just be a matter of misunderstanding, or because he is yet to be re-assigned to the OHL, but according to the announcement of Tatar's contract on the Red Wings site "He will play this season for the club's American Hockey League affiliate in Grand Rapids."

Drunkspleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 12:25 AM
Clone10

Ehrhardt

is he going to make the team or is he going to be sent back to the WHL?

Clone10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 05:23 AM
zecke26

Quote:
It could just be a matter of misunderstanding, or because he is yet to be re-assigned to the OHL, but according to the announcement of Tatar's contract on the Red Wings site "He will play this season for the club's American Hockey League affiliate in Grand Rapids."
well, yes. he was assigned to GR. but he could still be sent to the OHL without his ELC kicking in if before he plays 10 games in the AHL. so he has to impress in practice and the first games too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone10 View Post
is he going to make the team or is he going to be sent back to the WHL?
ehrhardt should make the griffins. he adds solid defense, something that team is lacking.

Old
09-27-2009, 09:48 AM
Schroedingers Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filppula View Post
We've got some good character guys for sure. I liken Ritola to a poor man's Filppula.
A poor man's Filppula would not be an NHLer. That is like calling Oulahen a poor man's Draper.

Schroedingers Cat is offline   Reply With Quote