HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Sweden
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

What SEL players go to the Olympics this time?

Old
09-25-2009, 11:16 AM
Ribban

vCash: 500
What SEL players go to the Olympics this time?

Okay, so I get irritated with some of BÅG's picks for the national team more often than not. But then again, I'm sure he knows more hockey than I do, so that's not my issue per se (Big Cudos to him for finding Gunnarsson in the mix!)

However, I suffer from this theory that whenever I see one of these blue players out of the SEL on his roster for a big tournament, I chalk it up to politics.

It seems logical to me that he'd pick a couple of token players from the SEL to keep peace with the SEL GM's, as it is recognition and promotion of the league after all, and he needs the goodwill/leverage when picking out teams for the other Eurocrap tournaments, which for some reason people care about... if we lose. Crazy talk? I'd love to hear your thoughts on that.

The scond part of this, and as the title describes, who from the SEL can we expect to see on the plane with BÅG to Vancouver next year?

I'm sure Pebben and Honken will be there, although that's cheating given their CV's.

Your thoughts (Remember: Not your picks, but who do you think BÅG picks)?

Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 11:32 AM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
The Pebb and the Honk should be sufficient. I really can't see him justifying bringing anyone else along. Barring a ******** of injuries, that is.

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 02:00 PM
Garl

Aasen, Skroder, Holtet, Holos, Bastiansen, Hansen, Bonsaksen, K.Forsberg, Olimb, Roymark.

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 02:05 PM
Tomas W

Glenn and Lehoux, bank on it!

Tomas W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 06:25 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Johan Andersson
Fredrik Warg
Stefan Liv
Johan Holmqvist
Magnus Johansson

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalaryCap View Post
Fredrik Warg
Doubt it, he has a lot to improve really.

1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 02:03 AM
Seiza

Send a message via ICQ to Seiza
Quote:
Johan Andersson
Fredrik Warg
Stefan Liv
Johan Holmqvist
Magnus Johansson
If that happens, I will personally switch sides to Finland.

Seiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 03:19 AM
Garl

Quote:
Johan Andersson
Fredrik Warg
Stefan Liv

Johan Holmqvist
Magnus Johansson
LOL.

Old
09-27-2009, 07:23 AM
SChan*

hopefully no one except forsberg

SChan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 11:55 AM
Garl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentNight View Post
hopefully no one except forsberg
All players in Europe sucks. Playing in NHL automatically makes a player a star. Playing in Europe makes player a piece of crap. Only exeption-Forsberg. PJ. Axelsson is a piece of crap now.

Old
09-27-2009, 12:08 PM
Tomas W

I detect some sarcasm here from previous poster.

You dont have to be "crap" to not to play for Sweden, its just that there is enough NHL talent to fill the slots, and there will be a tourney on NA ice with NA size rink. The players has to be used to it, up to it. Axelsson, who has several years in NHL, is in contention, but not a lock, there is others that is about as good as him, both in NHL and also a few outside.

AND THE NHL IS THE BEST LEAUGE IN THE WORLD. I mean common, AHL players become stars in most European clubs, including the SEL. Only the KHL is a bit better than that.

Last edited by Tomas W: 09-27-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Tomas W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 12:47 PM
svartgul
Hata Löven

Send a message via ICQ to svartgul Send a message via MSN to svartgul Send a message via Skype™ to svartgul
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas W View Post
AND THE NHL IS THE BEST LEAUGE IN THE WORLD. I mean common, AHL players become stars in most European clubs, including the SEL. Only the KHL is a bit better than that.
NHL isn't AHL, and only the top AHL players become stars in SEL (and vice versa), and only for those who can play big rink hockey. Tons of AHL players fail every year in Europe.

svartgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 01:11 PM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
All players in Europe sucks. Playing in NHL automatically makes a player a star. Playing in Europe makes player a piece of crap. Only exeption-Forsberg. PJ. Axelsson is a piece of crap now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas W View Post
I detect some sarcasm here from previous poster.

You dont have to be "crap" to not to play for Sweden, its just that there is enough NHL talent to fill the slots, and there will be a tourney on NA ice with NA size rink. The players has to be used to it, up to it. Axelsson, who has several years in NHL, is in contention, but not a lock, there is others that is about as good as him, both in NHL and also a few outside.

Looks more like mocking than sarcasm, but nevertheless, I can agree with both points, just like I have nothing to say but, "Amen" to Boustedt's comments in SilentNight's other thread.

The "stars" we see coming from the minors to Europe's leagues could very well be victim's of politics or late bloomers that finally get some meaningful ice time to climb a few notches and develop their game. I remember having a difference in opinion with somebody, who I think was Swedish and liked Strålman, a long time ago about Strålman and Schenn. Anyway, we discussed whether Anton was held back becasue of MPL politics or ability to provide what Tornto needed at the time, and was better of getting major minutes with the Marlies. On the same note, I also think Backlund is a hell of a hockey player, but rather than have him sit on third and get limited minutes in the Flames, he can go a be a star in the WHL, which will be a lot better for his confidence and skills.

Boustedt is 100% correct though. I left Sweden as a 19-year-old, and it was tough. When all hockey experts on these boards put their stat sheets together and argue strengths of leagues when trying to translate what the stats really mean in a different league, etc, the human element, the guy in the skates is completely forgotten.

Certainly, a player could benefit tremendously from staying at or close to home, even if the league at hime is "weaker," as opposed to fly across an ocean and get hit by a complete culture shock when it comes to food, morals, media management and scrutiny, a new society and its ways of looking at the world/problems/history/religion/humanity, and let's not forget or under estimate the distance to friends and family... all the things that aren't covered in the stat sheets, and most people take for granted when they never lived outside their own little "shire." Those who think that it's ONLY money that keeps more and more Russians in the KHL vs. the NHL simply do not understand what leaving your country behind does to one's insides and how it affects people.

Having said all that, certainly there could be gems in the SEL or HA, who should be on a Swedish national team. My frustration is rather that when BÅG already has a team of "all skill" guys... ... picking a few more "skill" guys out of the SEL makes little or no sense to me. But, then again, what do I know.

Last edited by Ribban: 09-27-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old
09-27-2009, 01:47 PM
SChan*

Quote:
Since it seems you're mocking me, which current SEL players will make an impact at olympics in canada on small rinks? when we won the gold in 2006, no SEL player did, plus Mika Hannula and Ronnie Sundin became laughing stocks.

Old
09-27-2009, 04:07 PM
Garl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentNight View Post
Since it seems you're mocking me, which current SEL players will make an impact at olympics in canada on small rinks? when we won the gold in 2006, no SEL player did, plus Mika Hannula and Ronnie Sundin became laughing stocks.
I'm going to sleep now, cause I have to go on a night flight today, but to answer your question in short: in 2006 Jorgen Jonsson and Kenny Jonsson were pretty good yeah?

This year, P.J.Axelsson, Magnus Johansson, Joel Lundqvist, Johan Holmqvist would be ok for Olympics. Martensson and Weinhandl are good, but I don't like them as 4th liners, I think guys like Sjostrom(doubt BEG will call him) or even Steen would be better for bottom line. But Joel Lundqvist will be quite fine for 4th line duties. Actually, I wouldn't be pissed if Thornberg or Nilson or Ekman would go to OG as 4th liners.

Old
09-27-2009, 06:43 PM
KRM

Quote:
I'm going to sleep now, cause I have to go on a night flight today, but to answer your question in short: in 2006 Jorgen Jonsson and Kenny Jonsson were pretty good yeah?

This year, P.J.Axelsson, Magnus Johansson, Joel Lundqvist, Johan Holmqvist would be ok for Olympics. Martensson and Weinhandl are good, but I don't like them as 4th liners, I think guys like Sjostrom(doubt BEG will call him) or even Steen would be better for bottom line. But Joel Lundqvist will be quite fine for 4th line duties. Actually, I wouldn't be pissed if Thornberg or Nilson or Ekman would go to OG as 4th liners.
Hear, hear.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 06:47 PM
SChan*

Quote:

Ok forgot Kenny Jonsson, but he is retired now. And Jorgen Jonsson was decent, but certainly not amazing.

But for next year, the SEL does not have the Jonsson brothers anymore. Martensson and Weinhandl are overrated, they couldnt perform at crunch time in last world championchip, so i doubt they will perform on small ice against the best of the best.

Ekman or/and Thornberg as 4th liners? We got better NHL grinders then that.

pahlsson, sjostrom and samuelsson are what I would play as 4th liners.

As for SEL players, I dunno. For KHL I hope for Omark.

Old
09-28-2009, 01:09 PM
SirKillalot

Quote:
Aasen, Skroder, Holtet, Holos, Bastiansen, Hansen, Bonsaksen, K.Forsberg, Olimb, Roymark.
Oh yes

SirKillalot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 08:13 PM
Ribban

Quote:
OMG! It took me until now before the damn quarter dropped!