HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Rick Nash on The Fan 590 with Doug MacLean

Old
09-25-2009, 12:52 PM
BlueJacketBacker

vCash: 500
Rick Nash on The Fan 590 with Doug MacLean

Rick is on the fan 590 right now with Doug. www.fan590.com

BlueJacketBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 01:02 PM
Ar-too

Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
Why would he do that? Doesn't he know that Doug's a worthless, pompous, a-hole?

Ar-too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 01:11 PM
double shift filatov*

Christ that is awful. I lasted two full minutes of banter before I had to close it down.

Thanks for the link though. I'm sure it will be a great discussion, I just don't have the stomach to get that far.

double shift filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 01:18 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

No longer. I assume this media gets archived? If so, someone please PM me, Sam or Mac and we'll re-open

Last edited by Double-Shift Lassť: 09-25-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 02:51 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

link per Skraut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut
mp3 is here http://qml.quiettouch.com/files/radi...c-20090925.mp3

Go to 1:13:30 to minimize the Dougie Mac banter

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 05:31 PM
FiveHole23

man D-mac is a D-bag

I loved the indirect "Back me up I did the right thing with you bringing you up early"

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 06:10 PM
skimp

My fantasy hockey team's name is Dougie Mac Daddy. That is all.

skimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 06:21 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar-too View Post
Why would he do that? Doesn't he know that Doug's a worthless, pompous, a-hole?
Sure he does, but Rick is a nice guy.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 06:47 PM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post
Sure he does, but Rick is a nice guy.
I remember him being pretty upset when Doug was fired, though.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 09:26 PM
gojacketsgo61
Fire the Refs!

vCash: 555
didn't doug maclean get kicked off the fan 590? if i was nash i would of been saying in the background HOWSON'S BETTER!

gojacketsgo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 09:34 PM
Palinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
I remember him being pretty upset when Doug was fired, though.
Nash was upset for a variety of reasons unrelated to his personal feelings for Doug MacLean. Understand that Nash was drafted at age 18, signed a contract extension shortly after his ELC expired, and didn't play a day in the OHL or AHL after he was drafted.

Look at it from his perspective. He was in the organization for five full years and the team simply was going nowhere. Early draft picks weren't becoming NHL players, free agent signings weren't improving the team, and there was a total lack of direction. When the CBJ took the step of canning Gallant (which came from above MacLean) and then booting MacLean, there definitely was a sort of crisis over "What direction is this team going? Where do I fit in, how do I fit in, and what can I expect?"

Let's look at it this way. You have worked with a company for five years and are now preparing for a new job with a new company. There is going to be a certain pervasive feeling during the time between jobs; if you hated your old job, it will be one of excitement and relief. If you loved your old job and were forced out, there will be a sense of dread and fear. Nash was feeling the latter.

Two years later, the excitement is certainly there. He's seen the team improve by leaps and bounds and a clear direction imparted by Ken Hitchcock and Scott Howson, which is a great deal more than can be said about the previous regime.

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 09:41 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by gojacketsgo61 View Post
didn't doug maclean get kicked off the fan 590? if i was nash i would of been saying in the background HOWSON'S BETTER!
He was kicked off of one Fan590 show run by someone with a similarly questionable reputation.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 09:57 PM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinka View Post
Nash was upset for a variety of reasons unrelated to his personal feelings for Doug MacLean. Understand that Nash was drafted at age 18, signed a contract extension shortly after his ELC expired, and didn't play a day in the OHL or AHL after he was drafted.

Look at it from his perspective. He was in the organization for five full years and the team simply was going nowhere. Early draft picks weren't becoming NHL players, free agent signings weren't improving the team, and there was a total lack of direction. When the CBJ took the step of canning Gallant (which came from above MacLean) and then booting MacLean, there definitely was a sort of crisis over "What direction is this team going? Where do I fit in, how do I fit in, and what can I expect?"

Let's look at it this way. You have worked with a company for five years and are now preparing for a new job with a new company. There is going to be a certain pervasive feeling during the time between jobs; if you hated your old job, it will be one of excitement and relief. If you loved your old job and were forced out, there will be a sense of dread and fear. Nash was feeling the latter.

Two years later, the excitement is certainly there. He's seen the team improve by leaps and bounds and a clear direction imparted by Ken Hitchcock and Scott Howson, which is a great deal more than can be said about the previous regime.
I already understood the context, which you put quite well, and I am quite sure he had many reasons to be upset. However, unless someone can say with authority that part of Nash's reasons for being upset about MacLean's firing weren't that he personally liked and/or respected him, I'm uncomfortable accepting it as true simply because it feels like that's what fans want to be true, rather than what is--in my opinion--more likely to be true. We already know that, despite fan hatred of Foote, Nash still goes to him for advice.

I don't have a stake in this. I didn't like MacLean. I'd just prefer to have the truth, though I don't expect to get it unless someone has had some intimate talks with Nash around here. And I don't mean his picture.

Old
09-25-2009, 10:02 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

I think the problem is overlooking the manic behavior of MacLean. He was not all evil, all saintly, all stupid or all brilliant. He could be any of those at any given time.

MacLean stuck his neck out for Nash, merchandised him, brought him up quickly. Nash seemed to be a XGMDM's teacher's pet (no offense to Nash) in some ways. So I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Nash held MacLean in high regard despite his shortcomings as a GM.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 10:36 PM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

http://www.fan590.com/ondemand/media...25_144744_6704

For those who couldnt listen via the MP3 link.

Paisano* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 11:06 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Honestly, I found the segment itself to be relatively entertaining, and I'm not exactly a fan of MacLean and his tenure here.

Granted, there were portions during the earlier banter where I wanted to somehow reach through the Interweb and strangle him, but for the most part the interview itself was fine IMO.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 11:21 PM
ScreamingWild
Kissin' The Cup

It's really quite irrelevant what Rick's opinion of MacLean was/is. Rick took the opportunity to speak very well of Columbus both as the hockey organization and a city. He was on the air in the LARGEST hockey market on earth and made it clear that he CHOSE Columbus for reasons other than just money. Like Doug or not, his ego has contributed to the Blue Jackets being the topic of discussion fairly often. He brings attention to this team in a city where there are still "fans" of hockey that aren't entirely convinced that the Columbus Blue Jackets are actually an NHL team.

Rick Nash does not strike me as a man to make poor judgements and I'm glad he doesn't find it necessary to tell MacLean to kiss his *** just because a few disgruntled fans feel he should. That's not how the game is played and maybe, just maybe, Rick considers Doug a friend. Does it really matter?

ScreamingWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 12:36 AM
Fuzzy D

Listen to Doug between 1:08:30 - 1:08:35. He very clearly goes to make a quick indirect jab at the Blue Jackets then catches himself before he gets it all out. The interview with Nash itself though was pretty funny, especially the part about the 5 on 3's.

Fuzzy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 07:39 AM
hashmarks

Quote:
I already understood the context, which you put quite well, and I am quite sure he had many reasons to be upset. However, unless someone can say with authority that part of Nash's reasons for being upset about MacLean's firing weren't that he personally liked and/or respected him, I'm uncomfortable accepting it as true simply because it feels like that's what fans want to be true, rather than what is--in my opinion--more likely to be true. We already know that, despite fan hatred of Foote, Nash still goes to him for advice.

I don't have a stake in this. I didn't like MacLean. I'd just prefer to have the truth, though I don't expect to get it unless someone has had some intimate talks with Nash around here. And I don't mean his picture.
We do?

Old
09-26-2009, 08:03 AM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post
We do?
Yeah, it was in a rather easily missed blog entry:

http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/2009/07...columbus.shtml

Old
09-26-2009, 08:32 AM
anteater90

Quote:

Renion

Careful. When you back up info with quotes from the actual player it gets scary around here.

anteater90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 08:37 AM
hashmarks

Quote:

Thanks. I didn't see that entry. I don't always read puck rakers.

It makes perfect sense to call Foote. The guy has a wealth of experience and it is nice to know that Nash is tapping his resources.

Old
09-26-2009, 09:40 AM
orthosrgn2

Two things to take away from that interview. 1.) Rick Nash is doing an excellent job of being the "face" of the CBJ. He is polished in his presentation and believable.2.) XGMDM can be charming, but more like the mongoose is to the cobra....don't get too close!

Last edited by orthosrgn2: 09-26-2009 at 10:03 AM.
orthosrgn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 10:45 AM
gojacketsgo61
Fire the Refs!

vCash: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
He was kicked off of one Fan590 show run by someone with a similarly questionable reputation.
oh yeah it was about the balsillie thing i'm pretty sure

gojacketsgo61 is offline   Reply With Quote