HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues sign Sydor

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-25-2009, 06:00 PM
  #1
funktasticblues93
Registered User
 
funktasticblues93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: st. louis mo.
Country: Spain
Posts: 505
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to funktasticblues93
Blues sign Sydor

1 yr 1 Mil.

Not a fan of the dollar amount.

http://www.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=663111

funktasticblues93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 06:21 PM
  #2
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!
 
2 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Temple, Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 7,756
vCash: 50
I think its fine. Sydor is being paid as much for being a coach as he is for being a player. His role is to mentor the young guys and be steady in the minutes he gets. I wouldn't be the least surprised to see him paired with EJ early in the season, and then later with Pietro as he starts to get some minutes and EJ's rust shakes off.

But I don't see him getting that many minutes in total, and wouldn't be surprised if he got displaced if Brewer comes back into game shape and no one else is injured (but that sounds like a long shot). The depth is starting to get mindboggling.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 06:40 PM
  #3
Overkamp
Registered User
 
Overkamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I think its fine. Sydor is being paid as much for being a coach as he is for being a player. His role is to mentor the young guys and be steady in the minutes he gets. I wouldn't be the least surprised to see him paired with EJ early in the season, and then later with Pietro as he starts to get some minutes and EJ's rust shakes off.

But I don't see him getting that many minutes in total, and wouldn't be surprised if he got displaced if Brewer comes back into game shape and no one else is injured (but that sounds like a long shot). The depth is starting to get mindboggling.
Agreed. It's not a big deal at all. And he likely won't be playing anything over 15 minutes per game.

Overkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 07:20 PM
  #4
concept*
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 861
vCash: 500
Ridiculous signing for $1 mil. Whether you call it half player/half coach/part mentor, whatever, $1 mil was too much. The guy had NO WHERE ELSE to go and therefore NO leverage. He's dead weight, and now can potentially handcuff us in a trade deadline situation if we're doing well and want to add a piece. $1 mil doesn't seem like a lot until you're backed in a corner like Philly, et. al.

Plus, wasn't there a quote where he said he'd play for league minimum? Ugh...

concept* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 07:28 PM
  #5
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol
 
WalterSobchak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,951
vCash: 0
I am getting tired of this team overpaying their veterans. They get AMac and Boyes to give sign hometown discounts and overpay McKee, Brewer and now Sydor.

There is no reason to overpay Sydor right now.

WalterSobchak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 07:39 PM
  #6
Overkamp
Registered User
 
Overkamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchak View Post
I am getting tired of this team overpaying their veterans. They get AMac and Boyes to give sign hometown discounts and overpay McKee, Brewer and now Sydor.

There is no reason to overpay Sydor right now.
What's the difference between $700,000 and $1 million? Big deal.

McKee was overpaid but that's what the team had to do to get players to come here..which was three years ago. Boyes and Mac weren't even around then. Same goes with Kariya, we had to overpay him too.

His experience and his leadership attributes will be worth it. It's not like they are paying him $3 million. Geeeez.

Overkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 07:49 PM
  #7
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man
 
rumrokh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkamp View Post
What's the difference between $700,000 and $1 million? Big deal.

McKee was overpaid but that's what the team had to do to get players to come here..which was three years ago. Boyes and Mac weren't even around then. Same goes with Kariya, we had to overpay him too.

His experience and his leadership attributes will be worth it. It's not like they are paying him $3 million. Geeeez.
I agree with this. A few hundred thousand is not a big deal.

Regarding whether or not the signing should have been made at all, I'm willing to wait and see how it works out.

rumrokh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 07:58 PM
  #8
ChicagoBlues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,379
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by concept View Post
Ridiculous signing for $1 mil. Whether you call it half player/half coach/part mentor, whatever, $1 mil was too much. The guy had NO WHERE ELSE to go and therefore NO leverage. He's dead weight, and now can potentially handcuff us in a trade deadline situation if we're doing well and want to add a piece. $1 mil doesn't seem like a lot until you're backed in a corner like Philly, et. al.

Plus, wasn't there a quote where he said he'd play for league minimum? Ugh...
By the time the trade deadline comes around Sydor will be owed only about 350k on his 1yr. contract.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 08:02 PM
  #9
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!
 
2 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Temple, Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 7,756
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by concept View Post
Ridiculous signing for $1 mil. Whether you call it half player/half coach/part mentor, whatever, $1 mil was too much. The guy had NO WHERE ELSE to go and therefore NO leverage. He's dead weight, and now can potentially handcuff us in a trade deadline situation if we're doing well and want to add a piece. $1 mil doesn't seem like a lot until you're backed in a corner like Philly, et. al.

Plus, wasn't there a quote where he said he'd play for league minimum? Ugh...
This sure seems like an overreaction. Just how much do you think they could have saved?

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 10:15 PM
  #10
execwrite
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Peekskill, NY
Posts: 3,567
vCash: 500
The amount of the contact isn't an issue.

What happens if they keep Pieterangelo and Brewer comes back?

Who goes then?

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 11:22 PM
  #11
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol
 
WalterSobchak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,951
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
The amount of the contact isn't an issue.

What happens if they keep Pieterangelo and Brewer comes back?

Who goes then?
Well assuming zero injuries is dreaming but I'll do it anyway

Johnson
Jackman
Carlo
Polak
Brewer
Sydor/Petro sub in and out as needed

Strachan and Weaver to AHL.

Has Weaver ever played any forward?

WalterSobchak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 09:45 AM
  #12
neworleans1814
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 76
vCash: 500
Look at it as an insurance policy against Brewer being able to return:

http://www.bnd.com/sports/story/940122.html

neworleans1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 11:28 AM
  #13
Blues0307
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 816
vCash: 500
I'm not a big fan of the signing, at $1mm especially, but I do hope he's able to be a mentor to our young defensemen. I have yet to see him play this year, so I will reserve judgment.

Blues0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 12:55 PM
  #14
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson
 
Celtic Note's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 8,806
vCash: 500
Sit him on the bench and let him practice...thats all he needs to do!

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 01:10 PM
  #15
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol
 
WalterSobchak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,951
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundo View Post
Sit him on the bench and let him practice...thats all he needs to do!
Whats the point of that, though? Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't Chopper mentor from the bench just as easily (you know, if he wanted to be down there and stuff)

WalterSobchak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 02:25 PM
  #16
General Veers
Registered User
 
General Veers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 1,951
vCash: 500
I'm not a fan of this move, but what's done is done. Who knows, maybe he'll show signs of life for a month or two. I'm still kind of shocked this group didn't think there was enough mentors already in the org. Does this tell us something about Jackman?

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 03:04 PM
  #17
ChicagoBlues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,379
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Veers View Post
I'm not a fan of this move, but what's done is done. Who knows, maybe he'll show signs of life for a month or two. I'm still kind of shocked this group didn't think there was enough mentors already in the org. Does this tell us something about Jackman?
I am also not a fan of this signing. The money isn't an issue at all for me. And it's probably not an issue to ownership either.

But when Sydor was invited to camp I was alarmed that we'd bring him in because he's lost more than just "a step". His mentoring should be great, but when he's too old to demonstrate on the ice his mentor advice the youngins will lose interest and may even possible resent him for taking a roster spot for doing not much.

Then again, maybe this will be a "great" year for Sydor and he comes back to life for a somewhat-maybe-sort-of contending team.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 07:16 PM
  #18
Overkamp
Registered User
 
Overkamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
The amount of the contact isn't an issue.

What happens if they keep Pieterangelo and Brewer comes back?

Who goes then?
Then you cross that bridge when you get there. Right now, Brewer isn't playing and isn't being looked to contribute any time soon.

But right now, worrying about that shouldn't even cross their mind.

Overkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 07:18 PM
  #19
BlueBeard
Registered User
 
BlueBeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 2,769
vCash: 500
I'm just going to cross my fingers and hope for the best on this one. I wasn't real excited about the Stempniak trade but I have had to eat crow on that one(so far). So I am willing to at least be content to see what happens with it.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 11:04 PM
  #20
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson
 
Celtic Note's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 8,806
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchak View Post
Whats the point of that, though? Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't Chopper mentor from the bench just as easily (you know, if he wanted to be down there and stuff)
So he doesn't make any ridiculous gaffes. I am not a fan of the signing.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 04:01 PM
  #21
execwrite
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Peekskill, NY
Posts: 3,567
vCash: 500
When Brewer comes back, who goes?

Could they turn Sydor into a player-coach and send him to Peoria?

Would Weaver be sent down/released?

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 04:08 PM
  #22
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!
 
2 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Temple, Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 7,756
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
When Brewer comes back, who goes?

Could they turn Sydor into a player-coach and send him to Peoria?

Would Weaver be sent down/released?
It would be pretty unusual to have zero injuries on defense...chances are Strachan or possibly Junland will be up by that point, and would get bumped down.

It will be a nice problem to have if we have too many legit NHL guys on the roster.

One nice thing about Sydor (and Weaver's) contracts is that they are just for the one year. Room for Cole, Pietro, Strachan or Junland to step in. I'm curious what becomes of Colaiacovo, but I bet the Blues re-sign him.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 12:49 PM
  #23
execwrite
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Peekskill, NY
Posts: 3,567
vCash: 500
from the 11/28 Post Dispatch

Sydor has become a valued member of their room, regardless of whether he is in the starting group or not. An example of his impact was evident in Dallas, where he could be seen running the stairs at the American Airlines Center after a hard practice.

Sydor had Blues rookie defenseman Alex Pietrangelo running alongside and moments later, young forward Patrik Berglund hurried out to join in when he heard Sydor was involved.

Murray was under the impression Sydor was a quiet person when he signed with the Blues. But he has found he is vocal and profound at all the right times, in all the right ways.

"He's pretty vocal and says all the right things," Murray said. "When he's in the lineup, he's good on the bench. What he's done for Erik (Johnson) and Pietrangelo in a mentoring role, and even for someone like Brewer ... he's better than expected. You can see why he has two Stanley Cup rings."

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 01:06 PM
  #24
Blueshockey2*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: St.Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 815
vCash: 500
I'd rather have Sydor in there or be our 6th-7th dman every night then Weaver

Blueshockey2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 03:29 PM
  #25
concept*
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshockey2 View Post
I'd rather have Sydor in there or be our 6th-7th dman every night then Weaver
Exactly.

concept* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.