HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

the reason why Komisarek left (in his own words...)

Old
09-26-2009, 12:30 AM
THE HOFF

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Mike Komisarek was very close to Carbonneau. When he got fired, it sealed the deal for Mike. That came from players at some golf tourneys this summer.
never thought of that before... very interesting...

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 12:41 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Give me a break! Komisarek has praised Gainey numerous times for how great he was to him especially when his mother was sick and passed away. The Habs also put him behind the bench when he was injured....a big time show of respect that rarely happens on any team. Also, the Habs fans voted him into the All Star game.

Komisarek's the man with loyalty issues.
it may be tough to explain, but I do believe there is a difference between Gainey the person and Gainey the GM...

I don't know gainey on a personal level, but from many things I've seen/read, he appears to be a genuinely good person. It seems perfectly compatible to me that Gainey was very supportive of Komi while he battle through a tough personal time.

Loyalty in the professional sense, from a GM to a player, is shown almost exclusively in one way... "show me the money", so to speak.

I think it's totally possible for Komi to think the world of Gainey as a person, but at the same time feel as though he wasn't shown enough "loyalty" as a player to warrant him taking a discount to stay...

the "komi behind the bench" thing was, imo, pretty gimmicky and didn't really show much of anything, ESPECIALLY given that a contract offer was not on the table or table soon after... in business money talks and ******** walks, as they say.
(also, if the komi behind the bench thing was Gainey's idea, what does that say about the dysfunctional nature of the Coach/GM relationship? hard to see any NHL coach randomly accepting for his GM to order an injured player behind the bench as some sort of reward/negotiation tactic, don't you think )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
So, let me get this straight..you're saying the organization didn't show loyalty??..
I'm guessing that's why they let him stay behind the bench when injured..no, that's just a common thing for every injured player right??..
no, highly uncommon, and still doesn't seem to make a lot of sense... do we know that it was Gainey's idea, or that it was specifically a "reward" or sign of appreciation? or was it just that we were short a bench coach, and Komisarek, given how good of a leader he was for this team, was seen as being useful to the team, and he willing to take on that highly unusual role???

Quote:
It must also be why they offered him a very similar contract before July 1st..Nahh, that would mean they actually wanted him back.
Didn't Komi thank Gainey and Gillett for all the support they gave him when he had his troubles regarding his mom??..
again, I never said Gainey or the organization were jerks... Being a good person does not equate to being a good GM.
Komi could love Gainey as a father, but still dislike the way he runs his business.

Quote:
The Habs showed tons of respect, class and loyalty to Komi, but because he didn't get a contract offer when he wanted too, he bounces???..Wow, what a classy guy!..Sounds more like a baby to me..
it is a business, first and foremost. Loyalty in the business sense is shown by putting your money were your mouth is. Waiting until the last minute to extend a contract offer is, as Komi indicated (oh but wait, he's just lying because he's a disloyal jerk intent on making Gainey look bad ), a sure fire way to put doubts in the head of your players, and ENCOURAGE them to start thinking about looking elsewhere.

once a player goes from thinking "this is home, i love it here", to "hmmm I wonder if they really want me, maybe I need to think about alternatives", as a GM you've lost any edge you had or should have had to keep that player... i'd say that's GM 101.
Quote:

This is ridiculous and I can't believe you're buying into this. Actually, your stand doesn't surprise me because you've been an avid Gainey critic regarding upcoming UFAs.
You can't believe I'm taking Komisarek at his word? but yet we are supposed to take Gainey at his word?

fact is all we have is what they say... frankly, Komi's comments are precisely what I suspected happened right from the get go, and that's why I "buy into it". It confirms what was painfully obvious to many... refusing to sign contracts during the season, and refusing to do extensions on key players = a great way to make sure you lose the talent you develop.

what more proof do you need? and more importantly, why are you so stuck on defending Gainey despite the the proof (hard to ignore the sheer number of quality players we've watched leave the organization without any compensation for the team in the past 6 years).

Quote:
What Komi is saying is that he left because he didn't get a contract offer the day he wanted too. That sounds more like Komi throwing a tantrum.
What loyalty did Komi show towards Habs exactly??..I mean, he did receive a contract offer right???...so what's the problem???..He didn't get one earlier so he's whining about this??..
There's absolutely no question the organization had high regards towards Komi. There was something that happened this year. I know to most, like Komi, it passed very low key but it still happened. That ''thing'' was THE SALE OF THE HABS.
the sale of the team had nothing to do with Gainey's decision not to extend Komi last summer, as he clearly should have...
or with the no contracts in season bias.

He's not whining, he's just explaining what happened IN HIS MIND. He liked it here, even loved it, but the closer he got to Free Agency without so much as an offer on the table, the more his mind started to explore options. Once he got that close to it, he rightfully decided to see what he was worth, and it turns out that another team valued him more than the habs... to see him going to the leafs as some sort of betrayal is childish...

Quote:
So, Komi being so loyal and loving Mtl as much as he apparently did couldn't have come to the conclusion that him not getting a contract earlier might have been linked to that??...Noooo, impossible right..Teams that are in the process of a sale give out significant contracts all the time right??..:
he loved the city (surprise surprise), and from my vantage point, he sure as hell played his ass off for us. He was a leader, he played hurt, he trained hard every offseason to continue developing... was he perfect, of course not, but as far as pro athletes go, he did everything an organization could want... that's more than enough loyalty for me, a paying fan/customer.

In the end he chose to change "companies" and go to where he was being offered a better salary (and arguably a better playing environment in the sense of not being forced to take on a role he's not suited for).

Quote:
Komi is a fool. He received a very good offer and refused it. If he wanted to play here, then he would have accepted it. There's no way you can convince me otherwise.
Didn't Gainey wait to the end of the season to re-sign Markov???...Didn't Markov say he wanted to play here??..Well, he actually backed it up.
He could have very well waited and he'd easily be making a million more per year than his actual contract.
Do we know if Markov was offered more money elsewhere? Did he think he'd get more elsewhere? At the time of his deal, he was became one of the highest paid dmen in the league, and that was before topping the 50pt threshold...

Komi is a fool for taking a better offer? For going to a team coached and GM'd by the coach and GM of team U.S.A in an Olympic year? ...you have a strange definition of foolishness.

Quote:
Criticize Gainey for losing UFAs, fine, and you can make a decent case for certain. But this is such a BS excuse, it's not even funny.

Not only that, but if he had an ounce of care towards the Habs org then he wouldn't have signed with the Leafs for 500K/y more.

He simply wanted out of here, that simple.
In my opinion, which seems to be supported by this "B.S excuse", a big part of the reason we've lost so many UFA's during Gainey's tenure has to do with his indecision and resulting hesitation in locking up important players the team develops BEFORE they get to UFAgency...
It's about money, and it's about security.
Not having a deal in place = insecurity, insecurity opens the door to exploring other options (not too mention making it SOOO easy for an agent to convince his client that the team doesn't care about the player or doesn't value the player)... that's why we've lost so many talented young players.

Komi simply took more money, after deciding to test the market BECAUSE his team didn't make it clear early enough that they would retain him, that simple.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 12:48 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV View Post
Disagree.

I don't think Gainey was sold on the idea of MK being a real leader on this team. He's a good defenceman who blocks shots and can use his body, but he never showed much beyond that. He couldn't back up his tough-guy routine after the whistle; he wasn't developing much skill in getting the puck up ice; and his positioning was inconsistent. He's a good defenceman, but he didn't develop into the kind of player that deserves Markov-type money. Maybe he'll take the next step in TO, but I'd be surprised.
Fair enough...

To be honest, I HOPE that's the real reason Komi is no longer with the team. I may not agree with that assessment, but if Gainey was convinced that Komisarek wasn't a player worth retaining at his impending cap hit, or that he wasn't a good enough leader to stay on the team in a leadership role (because he clearly did have an important leadership role on the team), then at least it would be a calculated move to let the player walk away.

I still think that the same offer that Gainey made to Komi a week before free agency would have been accepted had it been made last summer, or last fall... and that was with Komi coming off of his best season thus far (as opposed to the sub-par year he just had).

One thing thought, if your assessment is right, then why would Gainey bother with the 4M$ offer, or tell his other impending UFA's that they had to wait because he was focusing on Komi first? Do you think he knew Komi wouldn't take the offer?
Because let's face it, 4M$ for a non-point producing defensive dman is a pretty hefty price tag, hardly the kind of money you offer a player your not sold on, don't you think?

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 01:05 AM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by newromanceforkids View Post
The guy from THN asks him about how he was supposed to be the next habs captain and why he didn't re-sign with the habs, komi talks about his last few years with the habs... bla, bla, bla... he talks about the good times, then he answers (around 6:00 min)

"couple years ago but even looking before this free agency, I couldn't imagine going anywhere else and we approached the team and stuff like that and they never really wanted to.... .... they wanted to wait. The longer you wait you know ... you're sitting there a couple weeks away from agency and things just went differently. Things work out for the better or for worst ... (talks about leafs)"

So yea bottom line my whole point is that when you have a rock solid 4 - 5th d-man that can also be the next Captain. You don't mess around.

I also think he would of signed for 3 to 3.5M at the time, the time being at the beginning of last season, or even during the season. For the right price Komi is gold as 4 or 5th D. It sucks to hear him say that. imagine: Markov, Spacek, Hammer, Komi, Georges, Mara. Solid. 1/3 of grit, a 1/3 of movement, 1/3 of steadiness

http://video.thehockeynews.com/mediadetail/1508614
A year a half ago I wanted Komi resigned...now I am glad we didn't sign him. Gainey was right on this one.

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 01:33 AM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb24 View Post
komi was close to carbo but it's not the reason he left. look, some players want to be taken care of earlier, it's his right. after the TO offer he went back to gainey and asked him to match and he would resign. that's been confirmed by marinaro over and over again - who's as close to komi as any member of the media. i blame gainey and his stupid ****ing policy of waiting till the last minute to sign guys. i hate it and last year showed it didn't work and was a distraction
Agreed its a moronic policy which he occasionally breaches but not nearly enough.

Streit also has said that in the middle of his last year with us (after he had shown his worth on the PP) he wanted an extension in the 2-2.5 mil range, Gainey stuck to his policy and eventually let Streit walk in free-agency into a huge payday with the Islanders.

Its a dumbass policy. Most people like job security, this includes hockey players, and the lack of it (not having an extension) is I would argue is as big a distraction as negotiations about future employment could be.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 02:50 AM
Lucius

*shrug*

This whole thing is silly. I love the Habs as much as anyone on this board, but for $500,000 (and that's the lowest number we theorize) I'd wear Leaf jerseys every day

...and anyone here who says they wouldn't is full of it!

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 02:57 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
So because the Habs didn't extend his contract last year, thats why he chose the Leafs offer today? That doesn't even make sense. Nice try Mike, we're not fools
well, according to the OP, he wanted to be extended 2 years ago... so they had a summer to extend him while he was still under contract. If komi expressed a desire to be extended back then and Gainey thought otherwise, then I can see where komi is coming from.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 03:10 AM
tigerman111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
*shrug*

This whole thing is silly. I love the Habs as much as anyone on this board, but for $500,000 (and that's the lowest number we theorize) I'd wear Leaf jerseys every day

...and anyone here who says they wouldn't is full of it!
Yes i think for 500K many people would wear a leafs jersey, including me. But if the choice was 4mil for a habs jersey, or 4.5 for a leafs one (or whatever the numbers were), the choice for me is obviously bleu blanc rouge....

tigerman111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 03:26 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

As much as I hate him for going and thinks he's a traitor, he's right that Habs management and Gainey jerked him around. It was the same with all free agents that were with the Habs last season. Most of the agents were pulling their hair out wanting to make a deal and Bob was not interested. I'm not surprised that the Komi camp and Kovy camp said buh bye. They didn't show loyalty because Bob did not show loyalty.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 08:00 AM
Drive425

He never recovered from this beating, and when the Bruins came to town I would cringe. With the way he played last season I'm surprised there are so many people whining about him leaving. All kidding aside, Komi is a solid stay at home dman, but in no way is he worth 4.5 mill/year.

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 08:04 AM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
As much as I hate him for going and thinks he's a traitor, he's right that Habs management and Gainey jerked him around. It was the same with all free agents that were with the Habs last season. Most of the agents were pulling their hair out wanting to make a deal and Bob was not interested. I'm not surprised that the Komi camp and Kovy camp said buh bye. They didn't show loyalty because Bob did not show loyalty.
You're really out of touch regarding what happened to Kovalev.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 08:20 AM
rafal majka

Elisha Cuthbert

rafal majka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 09:04 AM
JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Fair enough...

One thing though, if your assessment is right, then why would Gainey bother with the 4M$ offer, or tell his other impending UFA's that they had to wait because he was focusing on Komi first? Do you think he knew Komi wouldn't take the offer?
Because let's face it, 4M$ for a non-point producing defensive dman is a pretty hefty price tag, hardly the kind of money you offer a player your not sold on, don't you think?
I think that's what Gainey thought he was worth. That's the price he was prepared to pay. My uncle used to buy and sell a lot of fancy cars, and he would never say "your car's not worth that much". He'd just say "I can't pay that price for your car". I think Gainey would have liked to have Komisarek at that price, but had determined a limit (what Komisarek was worth to him) and held to it

4 Million is not out of the ballpark for Komisarek, imo, and particularly because he still has upside. But 5 is too much, or at least it was with Gainey. I had no problem losing Komisarek to free agency. I was more upset when we moved Aron Asham for Czerkawski.

JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 09:07 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post

He never recovered from this beating, and when the Bruins came to town I would cringe. With the way he played last season I'm surprised there are so many people whining about him leaving. All kidding aside, Komi is a solid stay at home dman, but in no way is he worth 4.5 mill/year.
So true.....it's time to move on boys! I look forward to facing him 6 times a season to see what some of our speed will do to him...4.5M is about 1M too much, I also think team USA had something to do with his decision...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 09:09 AM
SAKS AVENUE

Did anyone see those familiar highlights on TSN where Komi gets caught at
the blue line and the opposition just flies past him. Remember Ovie avoiding
Markov's side and flying past Komi because he was easier.

Remember Komi's annoying voice in post game cliche filled interviews?
. Remember in the playoffs when he decided to try Lucic again and got
rattled with one punch? How about the annoying rah rah let's get him boys
cheerleader behind the bench when he was injured. The tough guy who can't
back it up face washes after whistles with multple little cross checks that left
you thinking, what are you doing? How is that intimidating? All it is, is a big guy
with a complex trying to fill his big guy role by being mean, with a mean look on
his face.
I was never sold on Komi. He can hit that's for sure and I will miss that, but he
is not a meanstreak kind of guy which will always make it seem like he's falling
short. Thank God Gainey didn't rap up too much money in him, I can't wait
to see our little three mice expose his big poser a$$.

I'm not bitter. I'm glad I don't have to watch him let me and himself down night
after night.

I just hope someone on the habs roster smokes him hard and fast right away October 1st.
Not because he signed with the Leafs but because he's an annoying
poser.

SAKS AVENUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 09:12 AM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4KOMI View Post
Gainey screwed up
and when he leaves eventually
you'll get the impact of losing established Dmen.
I am pissed for seeing how Leafs team getting better with komi
and beauchemin
while here we have to be content with Gill and Mara.
I hope this big experiment by Gainey works out,
for the fans sake.
Me too., to shut some of this nonsense up.

Loved Komi at $2.5-3 or so, but more than that for a stay at home D with poor mobility is stupid.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 09:18 AM
RaMMuT
Tank Nation 2012

I dont understand how people STILL talk about komisarek.

He's GONE, get over him.

And honestly other than checking and shot blocking...what else can he do?

If anything I think Mara is what komisarek has and more at least he can score points...

Thank you Komisarek for leaving the Montreal Canadians!!! but we dont need you as much as you think anymore

RaMMuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 09:36 AM
stoney

You guys have the Habs version of Pat Quinn on your hands. He might be too old-school to be a modern GM. Honestly if you're waiting for loyalty in professional sports, you will be waiting a long time.

Also, I am a little disturbed by the newfound love of Lucic roughing up your (now a Leafs) guy. Thats pretty cold.

stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 09:55 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999 View Post
Me too., to shut some of this nonsense up.

Loved Komi at $2.5-3 or so, but more than that for a stay at home D with poor mobility is stupid.
Id be curious to see gill and komi skate ... like a race... i'd pay to watch that ... and then ... the one that looses ends up fighting lucic ...

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 10:35 AM
Ginu

Gainey made the right move IMO. He's a hockey man. He knows that Komisarek had limitations. Signing him to a contract a couple years ago when he was at his height of play would have been the wrong move. Gainey knew that Markov was covering up a lot of Komisarek's frailties. He would have had to give him 4-4.5m anyways at that point and any way you look at it, that is too much for a straight shutdown guy with no offensive upside.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 10:39 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Fair enough...

To be honest, I HOPE that's the real reason Komi is no longer with the team. I may not agree with that assessment, but if Gainey was convinced that Komisarek wasn't a player worth retaining at his impending cap hit, or that he wasn't a good enough leader to stay on the team in a leadership role (because he clearly did have an important leadership role on the team), then at least it would be a calculated move to let the player walk away.

I still think that the same offer that Gainey made to Komi a week before free agency would have been accepted had it been made last summer, or last fall... and that was with Komi coming off of his best season thus far (as opposed to the sub-par year he just had).

One thing thought, if your assessment is right, then why would Gainey bother with the 4M$ offer, or tell his other impending UFA's that they had to wait because he was focusing on Komi first? Do you think he knew Komi wouldn't take the offer?
Gainey offered him that contract a week before free agency knowing that he wouldn't take it. It was to save face in front of the fans.

Regarding, focusing on Komi first, he never said that. Gainey said, focusing on "something else" which to me is a trade. Komisarek was never a priority given what Gainey could assume his cap hit would have to be.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 11:52 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerman111 View Post
Yes i think for 500K many people would wear a leafs jersey, including me. But if the choice was 4mil for a habs jersey, or 4.5 for a leafs one (or whatever the numbers were), the choice for me is obviously bleu blanc rouge....
Bluntly. I don't believe you

500k is 500k, it's naive to think he should turn it down. He's young, unmarried, no kids and in a career with a limited window of earning. He should take the money.

The only time hometown discounts come into play is when it's actually the guy's hometown, they don't want to uproot their families, or they're going for a cup. None of those applied to him.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 12:55 PM
CanadienErrant*

I agree with Komisarek on the fact that he should had been signed during the season...

But on the other end, I despise him to have signed with the Leafs. The only reason: impress his American Coach and American GM to make the US Olympic Team.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 01:58 PM
tigerman111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Bluntly. I don't believe you

500k is 500k, it's naive to think he should turn it down. He's young, unmarried, no kids and in a career with a limited window of earning. He should take the money.

The only time hometown discounts come into play is when it's actually the guy's hometown, they don't want to uproot their families, or they're going for a cup. None of those applied to him.
i believe me

tigerman111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 02:52 PM
habs_24x

He left because of the two embarrassing beatings he got from Lucic. He couldnt look his teamates in the face anymore. New city, new start is what hes thinking. I just hope Lucy gives him a couple more to keep him down.

habs_24x is offline   Reply With Quote