HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

the reason why Komisarek left (in his own words...)

Old
09-26-2009, 03:12 PM
FF de Mars

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvenirs View Post
Well LesCanadiens on an internet board says this, so I must be terribly wrong!
The Habs didn't negotiate with him to extend his contract. Fact.
Oh, nice way to come and criticize me on ''my opinion on a process that I know zilch about'' and then shortly after say that speaking in the medias says all about a guy's character and intentions and that he always wanted to be a Leaf. Because that's totally not a human being's thoughts that you know zilch about, too.

Yeah, I'm gonna take Komisarek's defence because I liked him as a Hab. He was authentic, showed lots of leadership and heart. Please tell me how that makes me a false fan.

He was embarrassed to be at the All-Star game. He didn't even think he was gonna hit the net with his shot. It's Habs fans fault if he was there anyway.
Dark side of the moon

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 03:16 PM
gardenfaithful44

vCash: 500
For those of you who say he left because of Lucic, your just stupid. He's still gonna face Lucic 6 times a year.

gardenfaithful44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 03:45 PM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

vCash: 1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenfaithful44 View Post
For those of you who say he left because of Lucic, your just stupid. He's still gonna face Lucic 6 times a year.
Yeah. He left for the money.

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 03:51 PM
Madevilz

I still like Komo, and I blame Gainey 100% for not resigning him before his contract season.

Flame away!

Madevilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 04:57 PM
rafal majka

Elisha Cuthbert grew up in Montreal. Komisarek couldn't handle the hurt anymore so he's looking for greener pastures in Toronto.

Maybe he's thinking of dating Alyson Court or Gail Kim or Lexa Doig or maybe even Fab Filippo.

rafal majka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 05:08 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
no, highly uncommon, and still doesn't seem to make a lot of sense... do we know that it was Gainey's idea, or that it was specifically a "reward" or sign of appreciation? or was it just that we were short a bench coach, and Komisarek, given how good of a leader he was for this team, was seen as being useful to the team, and he willing to take on that highly unusual role???
Gainey and Carbo were close and such a move would require the GM's approval. Was it a shortage of bench coach??..of course not, and you know this. Seriously, don't try to argue otherwise. We've never seen anybody else there. This was an organization move and it's obvious.

Quote:
again, I never said Gainey or the organization were jerks... Being a good person does not equate to being a good GM.
Komi could love Gainey as a father, but still dislike the way he runs his business.
Doesn't change the FACT that he was offered a contract before July 1st. If Komi is disappointed because he wanted to sign an extension at the end of next year, it's another story. He got an offer before deadline, refused, and signed with Leafs for little more. Those are facts and he can't possibly argue the org never showed interest.

Quote:
it is a business, first and foremost. Loyalty in the business sense is shown by putting your money were your mouth is. Waiting until the last minute to extend a contract offer is, as Komi indicated (oh but wait, he's just lying because he's a disloyal jerk intent on making Gainey look bad ), a sure fire way to put doubts in the head of your players, and ENCOURAGE them to start thinking about looking elsewhere.

once a player goes from thinking "this is home, i love it here", to "hmmm I wonder if they really want me, maybe I need to think about alternatives", as a GM you've lost any edge you had or should have had to keep that player... i'd say that's GM 101.
He was offered a contract was he not??...
There was such a thing called the SALE of the Habs was there not??..
Komi can't realize that maybe that's why he couldn't be extended at his required moment??..
Habs showed loyalty by offering him a contract before deadline. If they had doubts as to whether or not they want him, they wouldn't have offered him a deal.

Gainey also has a no signing policy. Komi knows that. So it shouldn't be much of a surprise that he didn't get extended before the season.

Komi wanted to be an exception??..Okay, great, but that has nothing to do with Habs not showing interest or being disloyal.

Quote:
You can't believe I'm taking Komisarek at his word? but yet we are supposed to take Gainey at his word?

fact is all we have is what they say... frankly, Komi's comments are precisely what I suspected happened right from the get go, and that's why I "buy into it". It confirms what was painfully obvious to many... refusing to sign contracts during the season, and refusing to do extensions on key players = a great way to make sure you lose the talent you develop.

what more proof do you need? and more importantly, why are you so stuck on defending Gainey despite the the proof (hard to ignore the sheer number of quality players we've watched leave the organization without any compensation for the team in the past 6 years).
I'm not taking Gainey's word for it because he didn't say anything.

It's very simple to me. Komi was offered a contract before July1st, he refused and signed with Leafs.

I'm not defending Gainey, this isn't a Gainey vs Komi thing, don't know why you're viewing it as so.

I'm saying Komi's excuse is pure crap. If he wants to act like a baby and say ''well, I wanted an extension on ''x'' day but didn't get it, so I left because I had doubts'', then good for him. But in no way is that disloyalty from Gainey.

Quote:
the sale of the team had nothing to do with Gainey's decision not to extend Komi last summer, as he clearly should have...
or with the no contracts in season bias.

He's not whining, he's just explaining what happened IN HIS MIND. He liked it here, even loved it, but the closer he got to Free Agency without so much as an offer on the table, the more his mind started to explore options. Once he got that close to it, he rightfully decided to see what he was worth, and it turns out that another team valued him more than the habs... to see him going to the leafs as some sort of betrayal is childish...
How do you know if the sale of team had nothing to do with it??..Gainey already made an exception in re-signing Koivu during the season, what makes you think he couldn't have done the same to Komi??..

Maybe Gainey just wanted to see if Komi was indeed the real deal or was it just a one season type a thing.

What makes you think Komi would have agreed to a 3M extension??..after his good season I doubt he would have accepted that deal.

You know what's childish?..Someone claiming he didn't really feel wanted even though he was offered a generous contract before deadline.

Quote:
he loved the city (surprise surprise), and from my vantage point, he sure as hell played his ass off for us. He was a leader, he played hurt, he trained hard every offseason to continue developing... was he perfect, of course not, but as far as pro athletes go, he did everything an organization could want... that's more than enough loyalty for me, a paying fan/customer.

In the end he chose to change "companies" and go to where he was being offered a better salary (and arguably a better playing environment in the sense of not being forced to take on a role he's not suited for).
Exactly my point. That's what I'm saying.
He left because he didn't want to re-sign for a team where he'll be the big horse again.
In Toronto, he won't be the only big guy and there's many other role players that should drop the gloves before him. They have a big, strong, aggressive style that fits Komi perfectly.

That's why he left. It has nothing to do with him not feeling wanted, that's BS.
Would he have agreed to an extension before or early last season, sure maybe. But that was before all the crap that happened midway through the year.

Quote:
Do we know if Markov was offered more money elsewhere? Did he think he'd get more elsewhere? At the time of his deal, he was became one of the highest paid dmen in the league, and that was before topping the 50pt threshold...

Komi is a fool for taking a better offer? For going to a team coached and GM'd by the coach and GM of team U.S.A in an Olympic year? ...you have a strange definition of foolishness.
Markov could have gotten more on the open market. Why couldn't he?? of course interest would have risen for him. Why wouldn't it??..

Komi is not a fool, if you look at Toronto, it's actually a perfect fit. There or Boston are perfect fits for him.
He's a fool for trying to say it's because he didn't feel quite wanted.

Quote:
In my opinion, which seems to be supported by this "B.S excuse", a big part of the reason we've lost so many UFA's during Gainey's tenure has to do with his indecision and resulting hesitation in locking up important players the team develops BEFORE they get to UFAgency...
It's about money, and it's about security.
Not having a deal in place = insecurity, insecurity opens the door to exploring other options (not too mention making it SOOO easy for an agent to convince his client that the team doesn't care about the player or doesn't value the player)... that's why we've lost so many talented young players.
I seriously don't care about any of the UFA we lost.
Kovalev wanted an extension before last year too. He loved it here and said so himself many times. He got a deal from Gainey but decided to wait and sign for a million more in Ottawa.
Komi went for TO even after getting an offer.

At some point, you can criticize Gainey all you want but you have to wonder just how true their ''love'' for playing here truly was.

Quote:
Komi simply took more money, after deciding to test the market BECAUSE his team didn't make it clear early enough that they would retain him, that simple.
Of course they did, they made him an offer before July1st which is the deadline for UFA market to open is it not??..
So they made an offer early enough, he just decided to snob it and test the free agency.

If Komi wanted to re-sign on ''x'' date, did he warn Gainey that if he didn't get an offer he'd test free agency??..Never heard anything about that.

If he truly wanted to play here, then he would have signed. Simple.

After the season, his desire to test free agency was bigger than the one to play here and that's why he didn't agree to the deal. Is he a fool for that??..Not at all, it's part of the rules, it's business and I actually think he took a good decision for him personally.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 05:58 PM
smon

I don't think it's a big deal. It doesn't make sense to be losing players like Komisarek to free agency, and not negotiating during the year is stupid at best. Seems like a lot of people here think the team holds all the power in negotiating, if they make an offer the player should be honored and accept...they don't, it's the players and their agents that have the balance of power if they're heading to UFA status. At least when the player is a valuable commodity, not a journeyman type.

Ultimately though it's more of a mutual thing - the Habs gave him an offer before July 1st, but they weren't bending backwards for the guy either, and he didn't exactly rush to re-sign or make a counter offer. And so he moved on July 1st, and the Habs moved on even quicker than he did.

And that he signed with the Leafs for only what seems like a bit more? Well, so it came down to money, big surprise. If the Habs really didn't want to lose the guy, they'd be more aggressive in trying to re-sign him, and if Komisarek really didn't want to leave, he'd have made counter offers. Either didn't happen. So it's mutual.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 06:41 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
You're really out of touch regarding what happened to Kovalev.
Not really. Kovy would have signed if he wouldn't been mad with the Habs. I don't buy the whole "oh Kovy and his agent were confused" bit. If he would really wanted to stay here, he would have.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 09:10 PM
Habitant#1

As much as I loved Komisarek for reasons others have already mentioned, I think Ken Holland says it best when he says you don't sign a defensive defenceman for more than 4 million a year. Look at Detroit's top 4, they're all excellent puck movers and three of them even got 50 points last season!

With Spacek, our defence looks a bit more like that this season, and I'll think that Martin will be able to use that to its full advantage.

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 10:18 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Not really. Kovy would have signed if he wouldn't been mad with the Habs. I don't buy the whole "oh Kovy and his agent were confused" bit. If he would really wanted to stay here, he would have.
There was no confusion. Gainey made Kovy an offer and his agent went to other teams hoping to get a bigger offer to take back to Gainey to get more from the Habs. During this posturing, Gainey signed Cammelleri and Gionta and there was nothing left for Kovy. It was the posturing that led Kovy to Ottawa. There is no doubt that Kovy wanted to stay in Montreal. Even after becoming an Ottawa Senator, he stated that he'd like to come back and finish his career in Montreal.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 10:23 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
There was no confusion. Gainey made Kovy an offer and his agent went to other teams hoping to get a bigger offer to take back to Gainey to get more from the Habs. During this posturing, Gainey signed Cammelleri and Gionta and there was nothing left for Kovy. It was the posturing that led Kovy to Ottawa. There is no doubt that Kovy wanted to stay in Montreal. Even after becoming an Ottawa Senator, he stated that he'd like to come back and finish his career in Montreal.
I'm wondering though. Seems to me that if it was solely his agent who made those moves by going to other teams without talking to Kovalev, If I would have been Kovy, I would have fired him right after. Even in his comments, he kinda came to his agent's defense a whole lot of times. Also with that in mind that Gainey said he was in constant negotiation with Kovalev and his agent, all 3 together. So while Kovalev wanted to come back, I believe with all that being said, he also was interested to know what was out there for him, not only his agent. Reason why he didn't fire his agent or why he came to his defense after everything was done.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 10:47 PM
Crimson Skorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Also another reason Kovy chose Ottawa is because he can still stay close to Montreal to continue to keep watch over his charity he has. Simply put, Kovalev is a class act.

Komisarek however, had dollar signs in his mind. Toronto offered him more and now they have two defenseman that were both on the Bulldogs roster once upon a time.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 10:49 PM
jamz

pay 3.5M for a 4-5th def??

jamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 11:59 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Komi is not a fool, if you look at Toronto, it's actually a perfect fit. There or Boston are perfect fits for him.
He's a fool for trying to say it's because he didn't feel quite wanted.

i thought about replying to the whole post, but this is really what it comes down to...

I can see that you are hurt by komi's departure, I'm sorry you feel so personally slighted.

A grown man decided that the employer he worked for didn't show him the kind of (call it what you want) trust/loyalty/confidence he was looking for... as a result, he decided to listen to offers from other employers, and sure enough, someone else valued him more, so he signed with them.

As pissed as I am about it (i hate the laffs as much or more than the next guy), I find it hard to fault him, and having worked in a very similar environment, I can completely understand his mindset and subsequent explanation.

don't believe him? think he's childish or foolish? whatever dude, that's your opinion and your more than entitled to it.

perhaps one day you'll find yourself in a similar situation, and be able to appreciate that job security is really the best/only way an employer can show their loyalty to you, when they don't, or they hesitate, the next logical step is to start looking at other option... Komi found a better paying option that, as you pointed out, also probably puts him in a better situation professionally (no longer needing to be THE tough guy), I'm sure he's glad he made the move, but it doesn't change the fact that he loved playing here.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 12:47 AM
DaHabMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoalJudge View Post
He left because management is a joke. If you have good players, lock them up. Not rocket science, ****.
i think this is pretty much it...gainey screwed up.....we'll see if he learned from his mistakes.

DaHabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 01:47 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madevilz View Post
I still like Komo, and I blame Gainey 100% for not resigning him before his contract season.

Flame away!
To you (and others) saying that, where was the guarantee Komisarek would sign before his contract season? Komisarek isn't an idiot, he knows he's a valuable commodity and that his stock was on the rise. Maybe he wanted to test unrestricted free agency. People act like he would have signed any piece of paper Gainey put in front of him a year ago.

Personally I didn't want Komisarek back for a cent more than a 3.5m cap hit and you can go dig up old posts of mine that say as much.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 06:44 AM
JrHockeyFan

Get over it folks. Whether you love or hate Komi he was offered a deal before the UFA deadline. He chose to take more money elsewhere which is entirely his privilege. He was not offered a new deal before his old one was done which is management's privelege. He knew how it works and chose. He could have stayed here for more than what he says he would have signed for last year. So his story sounds like a crock to me.

He was a likeable character. I'll miss some aspects of his game, but bottom line is that he was a huge liability handling the puck a lot of the time. And too many of his hits took him out of the play. Time to move on

We'll do just fine without him.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 07:23 AM
rocketlives

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoalJudge View Post
He left because management is a joke. If you have good players, lock them up. Not rocket science, ****.
TOUCHÉ.

rocketlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 08:25 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
To you (and others) saying that, where was the guarantee Komisarek would sign before his contract season?
I don't know why you're asking the question when we can easily say the total opposite. Where was the guarantee that he wouldn't signed if he would have been offered a contract?

At the very least, we had to offer him something. We know it wasn't done. A guy that was portrayed as your future captain, as much as he had struggle last year, you had to know that he didn't went from reliable to a total disaster in one year. It had to be a bad year. Still we were in a perfect position to sign him cheaper than what he got as a UFA because of that season. Give him the length, save on the money. Would he had signed? Would he not? That's so not the point. Offer him at the very least.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 09:13 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by newromanceforkids View Post
The guy from THN asks him about how he was supposed to be the next habs captain and why he didn't re-sign with the habs, komi talks about his last few years with the habs... bla, bla, bla... he talks about the good times, then he answers (around 6:00 min)

"couple years ago but even looking before this free agency, I couldn't imagine going anywhere else and we approached the team and stuff like that and they never really wanted to.... .... they wanted to wait. The longer you wait you know ... you're sitting there a couple weeks away from agency and things just went differently. Things work out for the better or for worst ... (talks about leafs)"

So yea bottom line my whole point is that when you have a rock solid 4 - 5th d-man that can also be the next Captain. You don't mess around.

I also think he would of signed for 3 to 3.5M at the time, the time being at the beginning of last season, or even during the season. For the right price Komi is gold as 4 or 5th D. It sucks to hear him say that. imagine: Markov, Spacek, Hammer, Komi, Georges, Mara. Solid. 1/3 of grit, a 1/3 of movement, 1/3 of steadiness

http://video.thehockeynews.com/mediadetail/1508614
It seems these days we're blindly repeating the Toronto mediots claims that Komisarek was a captain in waiting in Montreal.

If you want to use Komisareks own words turn back to his Toronto interviews in July when he admitted that Montreal and a short list of other teams were in the running for his services until the end. Seems to me it was a numbers game and Komisarek played it.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 09:16 AM
acemobile

Send a message via MSN to acemobile
From the interviews after he signed with the Leafs, he said something along the lines of, "The Leafs have a vision of what they're trying to accomplish while the Canadiens don't have a plan." I'm paraphrasing here, but that's the gist of what he said.

acemobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 09:20 AM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHabMan View Post
i think this is pretty much it...gainey screwed up.....we'll see if he learned from his mistakes.
Darcy Regier screwed up because he let Spacek walk
Lou Lamoriello screwed up because he let Gionta walk
Darryl Sutter screwed up because he let Cammalleri walk

Welcome to the NHL where player change team all the time.

Anyways I'd take Spacek, Giontal and Cammy before Komisarek anyday of the week

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 10:26 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I don't know why you're asking the question when we can easily say the total opposite. Where was the guarantee that he wouldn't signed if he would have been offered a contract?

At the very least, we had to offer him something. We know it wasn't done. A guy that was portrayed as your future captain, as much as he had struggle last year, you had to know that he didn't went from reliable to a total disaster in one year. It had to be a bad year. Still we were in a perfect position to sign him cheaper than what he got as a UFA because of that season. Give him the length, save on the money. Would he had signed? Would he not? That's so not the point. Offer him at the very least.
BINGO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djee#9 View Post
Darcy Regier screwed up because he let Spacek walk
Lou Lamoriello screwed up because he let Gionta walk
Darryl Sutter screwed up because he let Cammalleri walk

Welcome to the NHL where player change team all the time.

Anyways I'd take Spacek, Giontal and Cammy before Komisarek anyday of the week
players do change teams all the time, but good teams do a better job than poor teams at identifying and locking up important players...

komisarek, sure just one guy lost to free agency, replaceable... but when you have a track record of losing all of your established players to UFAgency, it's a sign of a problem at the management level.

Komisarek, Streit, Souray on defense

Koivu, Kovalev, Tanguay, Ryder on offense...

find me another good team that has lost 7 key contributors for nothing in the past 3 years.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 10:41 AM
zurg999

Quote:

Komisarek, Streit, Souray on defense

Koivu, Kovalev, Tanguay, Ryder on offense...

find me another good team that has lost 7 key contributors for nothing in the past 3 years.
Komi - one dimensional, big money elsewhere, not worth it
Streit - ditto
Souray - ditto
Koivu - (biggest fan talking here) didn't get it done so he's gone
Kovy - had an offer, but IMO org. is better cause he jumped ship
Tanguay - money spent better elsewhere (see Cammy)
Ryder - see 1,2,3 above

I guess what you're saying is that some of these guys could have been deadline bait?

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 10:57 AM
rafal majka

Does Komisarek deserve a contract similar to that of Markov?

YES! Danny Markov money.

rafal majka is offline   Reply With Quote