HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: I never want to be in another car accident ever again. Not like this.

Old
09-25-2009, 09:38 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
airbags didnt deploy? sue the **** out of anybody.
Honestly, I would if I wasn't hurt. I'm just floored with the amount of damage that the airbags didn't deploy. Granted, sure the car went under the back of the Jeep a bit, but take a look at the front. It's beyond destroyed and the airbags didn't go.

I am going to guess that there is 10K worth of damage to the car and it won't be totaled. But this really makes me question ever owning another GM car... Those airbags should've been deployed. Even if it hurt me a bit more (broken nose, whatever) I would have had the comfort of knowing they worked right.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 09:39 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladmyir111 View Post
Doesn't matter if you're doing 120 the airbags aren't going to go off unless the speed of the actual impact is over a certain mph.

He hit someone doing 55 or whatever and I'm sure the guy in front at that point was doing 30-50 as well. So the actual force of the collision was probably no more than 20mph.

Airbags aren't going to go off during slow speed collisions like that, they do way more damage to people than the pain he was complaining about from his seat belt....they just happen to save you at the expense of the burns and bruising.
I hit him doing 55-65 (probably closer to 60-62). He was probably doing about 20 or so. My breaks completely failed (the ABS didn't work at all) so I hit him at almost full speed and lost control of the car.

Old
09-25-2009, 09:41 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Thanks for the kind words, guys, too. Like I said, I might be overreacting, but I've never had a car accident before. To have the first one be a full speed collision like this was a bit jarring to say the least.

I kind of fell out of the car when I first opened the door crumpled over in pain and shock. I thought I was going to be seriously hurt. Thank goodness for seatbelts and the fact that most newer cars are built pretty well.

Old
09-25-2009, 09:42 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
Moral of the story; fish make bad pets.
LOL. My poor clownfish flew into the dashboard at whatever speed the car was going. Both are actually OK, though, and made it home.

They at least had a water cushion.

I was not so lucky.

LOL.

Old
09-25-2009, 09:45 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

I don't know if you guys can see in the 2nd picture, but the engine is on a pretty big slant from where it was.

Old
09-25-2009, 09:45 PM
SML

I remember my first car accident. I was 17 and my buddy lost control of his car on an icy road. We slid down an embankment and hit a guard rail on the passenger side, which was where i was sitting. Every movie I ever saw, the car blows up like 15 seconds after impact. So I'm screaming at him to get out of the car, get out of the car, because even though I survived the impact, I was convince I was going to die in a fiery A-team style explosion if he didn't get out of my way. My second accident, I was maybe 26? I was on my way home from the gym, and I got tboned in the passenger door. You're right, things slow down, because I could see the expression on the guy's face, his girlfriends face, see him trying to hit the brakes and stop the car, and it seemed like it took forever. Anyway, He destroyed my Taurus. He was driving a Neon and it looked like my car got hit with a two ton bowling ball. His car was leaking antifreeze. Thats about it. I got out, and I was PISSED. I was still in my workout gear, sweaty, I am 6'3" and at the time weighed about 250 lbs and was in my prime for lifting. The guy hit me, I got out of the car and looked at him, and I swear to God, he locked his doors. I know b/c he was driving a Neon that didn't have auto locks, so I saw him do it. Then in a flash, I remembered a coworker of mine who had lost his leg from the knee down in a motorcycle accident a few weeks earlier, and all the sudden, my whole mood changed and I didn't care anymore. Then he finally came out. Anyway, Jon, I'm glad you're ok. If they do total your car, there are ways you can go about buying it back if you think you might want to fix it or know people who can help you out that way. That way you get the insurance total check, but you can keep the car. I didn't do it, but had about 6 people tell me I should have done it when I had to bury my car.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 09:46 PM
park rangers
Optimist

Glad to hear you're alright. Car accidents sure put things into perspective.....

park rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 09:48 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

So glad you're okay, dude. The other guy too. Puts a good bit of perspective on things.

As to why the airbags didn't deploy, this is STRICTLY A THEORY, but given that you didn't impact hard enough to shatter the windshield, it's just possible that you didn't impact suddenly enough to trigger them. They are somewhat dangerous in their own right and if the deceleration isn't rapid enough, they won't deploy. Again, just an amateur theory.

At the end of the day, just glad you walked away, my man.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 09:50 PM
vladmyir111

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I hit him doing 55-65 (probably closer to 60-62). He was probably doing about 20 or so. My breaks completely failed (the ABS didn't work at all) so I hit him at almost full speed and lost control of the car.
They go off in specific situations at the proper speeds, accidents happen very quick the people in them aren't usually the best judges of what happened and at what speeds since like you said things tend to slow down to a crawl.

Your car looks like it it would if you ran into a slightly elevated brick wall doing 10-15mph...cars are made to crumple really bad like that so in turn its not you who's getting crumpled.

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 09:52 PM
vladmyir111

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
So glad you're okay, dude. The other guy too. Puts a good bit of perspective on things.

As to why the airbags didn't deploy, this is STRICTLY A THEORY, but given that you didn't impact hard enough to shatter the windshield, it's just possible that you didn't impact suddenly enough to trigger them. They are somewhat dangerous in their own right and if the deceleration isn't rapid enough, they won't deploy. Again, just an amateur theory.

At the end of the day, just glad you walked away, my man.
That's pretty much it, the impact wasn't that hard cars just crumple real easy to protect the occupants. It must have sucked getting into accidents back in the 70s

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 09:53 PM
RichterLundqvist

Glad to hear you're ok.

On another note I drive an 04 Bonneville and the damage to your car looks exactly like mine did when i had a similar accident; albeit at half the speed. Assuming you keep decent care of your car Insurance probably wont total it. The guy I hit got a ticket for general asshattery while driving (cell phone; as I had several witnesses and confirmed by his call record) Interestingly enough my airbags didn't deploy either. Mechanic who did an excellent repair/body job guessed it was because braking hard drove the front end down and hitting an SUV (or jeep) causes the impact to be high up on the front end rather than down low where he assumed the sensors were.

Nice thing about the pontiacs is all the not so expensive stuff is in the way before you start smashing up the engine, etc.

RichterLundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 09:55 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
I'm glad you are ok. Poor fish...

I know the feeling. A couple of weeks ago we were driving down the highway at midnight or so and someone drove by (they must have been doing 95 to pass us like that) dragging a bicycle, sparks flying and everything, half attached to their bike rack. We thought "it is going to fall and someone is going to hit that."

Sure enough, driving down the road at 80mph, I look down for a second and look up to see the bicycle (we were in a different lane, it must have been bouncing) right in front of me. We hit it, spin out at 80 mph, hit both guard rails, and end up with about $8000 worth of damage and a bicycle stuck in the frame that took two cruisers full of state troopers half an hour to get extracted from the vehicle (they wanted to make sure it wasn't hit with someone ON it).

We had no injuries other than a sore back and a sore neck that went away after a couple of days. Never did find out who let that bike fall off their bike rack...but it could have been a lot worse...

Khelvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 09:56 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladmyir111 View Post
They go off in specific situations at the proper speeds, accidents happen very quick the people in them aren't usually the best judges of what happened and at what speeds since like you said things tend to slow down to a crawl.

Your car looks like it it would if you ran into a slightly elevated brick wall doing 10-15mph...cars are made to crumple really bad like that so in turn its not you who's getting crumpled.
Well, I did hit something once at 10MPH. And this felt a lot worse than that, LOL. Either way, I'm just glad I'm OK.

Old
09-25-2009, 09:57 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Glad you're okay, bud! Hope things can get quickly back to normal ASAP.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 10:05 PM
ZMachine

You've got moths in your engine, better hope they total it.
Glad you're alright though.

ZMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 10:08 PM
blue line cretin

Really glad to hear you're ok after something like that. I had a few friends in high school that lost control when someone slammed the brakes in front of them and they wrapped it around a tree and died instantly. Life is precious, and thank god you didn't have children in the car with you.

Now you can look forward to insurance company BS for the next two months.

blue line cretin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 10:09 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Glad you're okay, JP. That's some scary ****.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 11:15 PM
TomLaidlaw

Jon, glad to hear you are ok. The first major accident is always a rough one mentally. My advice is to get back on the road driving as soon as possible.

1)It is unreal that the airbags didn't go off after seeing those pictures.

2)I just went through a total loss scenario with my Chevy Malibu (horrendous car) recently, so if it does end up getting totaled out PM me. I can give you a heads up on what to expect.

3)How many miles did you have on the car?

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 11:20 PM
Edge

Glad to hear you're okay.

When you're feeling a little better, i recommend you get behind the wheel as soon as possible.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 11:30 PM
NYROrtsFan

Glad you are OK...

If it was around the Hamilton exits then it was exits 3a and 3b. Exit 5 is 130 towards bordentown or Brunswick.

I drive that road every day going home from work. There's been a couple times where I've been late to react, mainly because there are times where it seems like people stop for nothing. Very tough to anticipate that. Either way, I've never gotten in an accident and luckily haven't locked the breaks up but i've definitely left a mark or two on the road. I am driving a Civic so I'm guessing it's better with that sort of thing though.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 11:43 PM
beastly115

Damn man, glad you're alright. I used to work in the trauma dept at a hospital and would see highway accidents all the time. You're very lucky that you came out with relatively minor injuries.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 11:59 PM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

Glad to hear youre ok Jon, Ive had a few of my own. My worst was when I was driving some friends home at around 3am one night. Mind you I live in Upstate NY, and there are a lot of back open country roads here. Anyways I get to their house, drop them off, and start heading back home, bout a 15 min drive. Cruising along around 55 or so, when about 100-150 yards away I see a deer take off across the road. Its pretty common up here so I slowed a bit, maybe to 45ish, and thought nothing of it. Dont ya know 10 secs later the second deer than I never saw runs out in front of my Explorer. I slam my brakes on (natural instinct even though I shoulda hit his ass), and the truck just starts into a spin. Had absolutely Zero control of it, and did about 2 360 degree turns before the truck rolled 3 times and came to rest in a 6ft drainage ditch upside down. The crazy part is I remember it completely vividly, like it was slow mo, and after coming to a rest upside down, I kicked my door out, climbed out and was fine. I mean I was shaken to all hell, and had some bruising, but nothing major whatsoever.

So anyways, I call my dad and tell him what happened and he comes out to get me with his buddy who happens to be the town sherrif. They get there, Im shaken and the sheriff comes up to me and says be glad you had your seatbelt on cause you shouldnt be alive right now. I get a good look at the truck as its been hauled out of the ditch and literally the entire top of the truck has been crushed, with the exception of only the drivers seat. So had my friends been in the car, they were more than likely dead on impact. It shook me up quite badly, but the best advice I can give is just get back to driving. It took me a good couple months before I felt comfortable again behind the wheel.

Edit: Oh and buy a truck if its totalled, you'll be higher off the ground, . After my accident I bought a 2008 Dodge Ram Hemi SPort, I know its an illusion of safety, but I feel a lot better and safer in a truck.

MrEctions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 12:59 AM
Vaheh

Send a message via MSN to Vaheh
Glad to hear you're ok. Just lost a close friend to a car accident 2 weeks ago and I'm still shook up from it.

Vaheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 01:17 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Glad to hear you're OK, Jonathan! Car crashes are always scary, it's great news that you're fine. Take it very easy over the next few days, though, and make sure you don't have any lingering muscle or joint injuries. Thank goodness you were wearing your seatbelt!

Looking at the photos of your car, I see that the wings of the car are relatively undamaged, but the hood is totally accordioned. Knowing that you hit a Jeep, I'm guessing that your car submarined under the taller SUV, because you were both under heavy breaking (the tail of his car was high, the nose of your car was low).

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 01:22 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

glad to hear you are ok...in the end thats all that matters.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote