HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: I never want to be in another car accident ever again. Not like this.

Old
09-26-2009, 01:25 AM
frankthefrowner

vCash: 500
Wait Wait Your telling me Gaboriks groin and AA on the 4th line arent the most important things in life????

Glad to hear your ok

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 01:33 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
It's always a congested area and, frankly, it didn't help that the guy I hit was on his phone at the time and not paying attention.

I didn't bring that up to the cops (probably should have), but either way, I hit the guy.
It's illegal to be driving while on the cell in NJ (I think it's something like a $200 ticket). You might want to call the po-po tomorrow and at least mention it and have it added on record just in case the guy wants to sue for damages etc...

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 03:26 AM
mrhockey193195

glad to hear you're ok jonathon, that's always most important.

My only experience in an accident was getting side swiped by a car rolling through a stop sign at an intersection...he was only moving like 10 or 15 mph, and that collision still shook me up...I can't imagine how scary and unnerving a highway collision must be.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 05:48 AM
Chimp

3 second rule man, 3 second rule... good it ended up fairly well. But I guess the rule is impossible to apply in heavy traffic, since someone will just try to cut in if you keep a safe distance.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 06:04 AM
eco's bones

You see people driving cars--texting or on their cell phones all the time. It's ****ed up.

I've been in a few accidents myself. I'd even say a couple of them were my fault. It sucks. The most important thing is no one gets hurt and fortunately for the ones I've been in--no one has. My first accident I was waiting at a red light and got rammed from behind--a probationary driver coming up behind me hit the gas instead of the brake and the back end of my car looked something like the front end of yours. I've been sideswiped by a trailways bus in a blizzard and I've been backed into by a propane truck--that one the damage looks very similar to yours. Coming home one night from a Binghamton Rangers hockey game I skidded on black ice and was rammed from behind by a passenger truck--the driver was a local EMT--and the state trooper ticketed me for going too fast for the conditions--the guy who hit me from the rear was not ticketed--go figure--the thing was they knew each other.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 06:37 AM
deke and score

Glad to hear that you're okay and that everyone else who has been through this, recently or not, is okay too. Hopefully the pain recedes quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaheh View Post
Glad to hear you're ok. Just lost a close friend to a car accident 2 weeks ago and I'm still shook up from it.
My condolences.

deke and score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 07:01 AM
chosen

I'm glad you're physically okay but whether he was on the phone or not, the accident is 100% your fault and should most importantly be telling you that you were following him too closely. If you could see he was on the phone you were possibly even closer than what you said.

We've all been in car accidents and some of us have been at fault. All that matters is that you learn to drive smarter because in the end, not doing so could kill people, including people riding with you and innocents in other cars.

Be ecstatic that it was just the car (I know it's hard to do so so soon afterwards) because you might not be so "lucky" next time.

I'm not trying to be a dick, just to offer some advice on how to stay alive. I had a friend who wasn't quite so "lucky".

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 07:41 AM
mti79

I was in one like that a few years ago on 280 just before the Parkway... Lady in front of me slammed on her brakes and I slammed mine but couldn't stop in time. My car ('94 T-bird) slid right under their bumper and did all kinds of damage under my hood... Their car was fine and before i could even make sure everyone was ok, they took off again... 911 dispatcher was shocked when I told her the other car had left already, as were the cops... oh well... It's only a car and at least you're ok.

You mentioned that you live at the shore.... where is that? I'm a Toms River guy myself...

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 07:56 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Pft, you call that an accident?

Sharp walked away. Seat belts.

John, I'm torn on the future of that car. Modern cars are engineered to dissipate energy during a crash with areas that fold and crush. You're not seeing small areas under the car where the subframe bolts up, frame rails enter the bulkhead, the rack bolts to the firewall, etc. If that stuff is "tweaked" it's never going to feel the way it used to and it's value as a collector car is now compromised.

Sure you're feeling a little "racing rheumatism" this AM. Glad you walked away too!

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 09:04 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Glad your ok Jon.. And Melrose get off the computer F1 qualifying is on..

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 09:15 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

Glad you are ok Jonathan. A car is a car...

Got a scary accident some years ago. Was on the right lane riding my bike, a car was on the left ahead of me, I was driving at 45-50 mph in town. The guy in the car didn't see me and decided to cut across in front of me to turn on the right at a traffic light. I tried to avoid him, to turn or brake I didn't really remember actually. I blew up the right window of the car, blacked out for a couple of seconds. Don't know how but I think I didn't fell on the ground. When I regained consciousness I was up in the middle of the street 30 feet away from the crash. the bike was under the car.

All I remember is the little girl seated in the back of the car right before I ran into it. That's kinda weird, my first concern in the next seconds after the crash was to know if the girl was ok. Glad she was. This could have been really ugly, I got glass from the window in my shoulder, in my leg, was bleeding but I got lucky. There was a deep 6 inches long scar on the left side of my helmet exactly where my head hit the top of the door. 4 inches lower and that scrar would have been on my throat...

The sill and the door of the car were destroyed, same for my Suzuki, but everyone was ok, that's the most important.

Last edited by King of cool: 09-26-2009 at 09:25 AM.
King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 10:33 AM
Jeds2StepOpus

Quote:
Just got back home. What a day. I drive a 2005 GTO, for the record.

I have a salt water fish tank. I go out to PA once every 6 months to buy salt and supplies. Today was that day.

Well, let's just say I didn't make it back like I normally did. On 195, around exit 5 (Hamilton), I was trailing a Jeep. We were both doing 65 or 70. I don't really remember, but it wasn't like I was flying or anything. Well, he was on his phone and he slammed on his breaks. I could see smoke coming up and everything. I was about 4 car lengths behind him or so, maybe 5.

Anyways, I slam on my breaks and I just lost the car. I hit him in the back at around 55mph or so. He has relatively no damage to his Jeep (just minor, minor bumper damage).

Long story short, the air bags DON'T go off and, thank God, I had my seat belt on. I am in severe pain with my chest and head since my head hit the damn wheel. I've never had a car accident before and I thought I was going to die at the time. Maybe a bit of an overreaction, but losing control of a car at 65 or whatever is not fun.

The car is really smurfed up, but I don't think that it's THAT bad. It looks a lot worse than I think it is. The radiator is obviously gone (****, the car is covered in antifreeze), the Vararam is crumpled up like a chip bag, the trans cooler is in pieces, and the intake manifold looks like the MAF was shoved up it's ass and ***** to ****, and the obvious body damage.

On the plus side, there is no damage in the wheel well and the windshield didn't crack. The engine looks like it's fine, but it's bent up a little bit. My father thinks it's in it's normal position, but I don't think so. We'll see. I'm not really sure how much damage is done. I would be absolutely FLOORED if they totaled the car. There's a few grand worth of damage to it, but nothing outrageous.

Either way, I'm fine. Thank God. The guy I hit is fine and was a really nice guy. And the guy who towed me back was really nice and owned a 67 GTO in the past.

I'm just glad I'm OK.
Sorry to hear that. I know how you feel. It's a scarey experience.

Get yourself checked out and make sure your head is okay (and the rest of you).

It's unbelievable the intensity and force when two cars collide. You think you know from seeing it in movies or having seen it happen to other people's cars. But you don't really know till your in it. God forbid.

I had my very first car accident, ever, this past December. I was a passenger, though.

A 69 year old man, driving in the southbound lane (doing about 45 to 55 mph); had a massive and fatal heart attack. He immediately went unconscience. Sadly, he was basically dead the second he went unconscience.

His car immediately swirved into our northbound lane, with full force.....slammed the mid to rear of our car and sent our car into a tailspin. (I had my head looking down, as I was reading something at the time of impact).

Which threw me hard to the right and just slightly foward (the seatbelts were worthless), slamming my (Top right) head simultaneously against the metal door frame and the right side of my head........the glass window, slammed my knee, slammed my right shoulder. Not to mention the vicious whiplash.

The tailspin landed us in the Southbound lane, where a taxi cab immediately slammed into my passenger door and sent me flying to my left (in a twisted noodle manner) and almost smack into the driver. Again, the seatbelt was worthless. I was actually twisting and floating completely of the seat.

Concussion, post concussion syndrome (for the last 10 months, but getting much better the last three months), severly sprained and bruised knee, slight right shoulder ligament tear and a small cyst on the brain...where the bruising from the concussion.. And I won't even get into what it did to my neck and back. Imagine a rollercoaster. That's what my back and neck looked like.

Make sure you get yourself checked out and I wish you the best.

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 10:42 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Yikes, glad to hear you're ok man!

...and every body else with a story is ok too!

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 10:46 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Unpleasant, for sure. Good thing your all right. I've never been in a real accident myself, just one fender bender. All these stories scare me, hah. Doesn't sound like something I want to go through.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 10:49 AM
Jeds2StepOpus

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words, guys, too. Like I said, I might be overreacting, but I've never had a car accident before.
You're not over-reacting. It is a traumatic experience and it can have an extendend physcological effect, with people.

You may or may not feel a bit apprehensive or jumpy when driving, for a little while. If so, just fight through it. Just takes a little time to get over it.

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 10:50 AM
Smashley

As a FireLady I can't tell you how important it is to wear your seatbelt. Many times if we have to extricate you [ahem, jaws of life] from your car, we have to hold our breath while we cut your car apart if your airbag hasn't gone off its pretty much a bomb above your legs waiting to go off as we are slicing & dicing. And thats bad news for us and you. If anything wear a seatbelt to protect you from flying through your windshield and soften the blow of the bag.

I flipped and totaled my friends car in January on the thruway in new paltz and walked away without a scratch cause I was wearing a seatbelt, no airbag ever went off. If anything if it did, I probably would have gotten hurt from the deployment. The car looked like it had minimal damage, but when they lifted it the cars frame was a total cluster**** and the repair cost was more than the value. Honey I think yours is done for judging by those pics

Last night I had a call where this lady rear ended this guy going maybe 25-30 and her bag went off ---it was her cars sixth accident and probably its last. Air bags are super temperamental.

Lesson to all: Never ever ever ever bank on an airbag.

Glad youre alright dear, Adrenaline & the shakes, its super scary stuff.

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 11:09 AM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

Glad to hear you are ok, looks pretty bad.
Better hope they total it, will never be the same.
Looks totaled IMO.

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 11:17 AM
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD

Send a message via AIM to Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
Good to know you made it out alive bro...I've got one wicked story of my own. I'll post it after work.

-Brian

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 11:18 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Glad to hear youre ok Jonny. Ive been in a few myself.. I had a range rover run through a red light and totaled my brand new Ford Ranger XLT back in 2000. Never got over that. If he had hit me 4 feet to the right he would have slammed right into the drivers side door. Not cool.

Anyhow, i know this sounds morbid and extremely sad, but sometimes I wonder (GOD FORBID) if any of us happen to bite it one way or another - how will any of the other posters know? I mean I've "known" Jonathan and many others here through the internet for a few years now. I know their online personalities, but have never met any of them. We've laughed and argued, traded wits and wished eachother happy birthdays, but when its all said and done... if someone bites the dust - they might just disappear on here and its scary because we may never know what happened to them. Its quite a cultural phenomenon in a way. Its probably happened in tons of forums too. Its scary and odd, because I really dont expect any family members to come on here to tell the news - and even if they did - how to do it.

But anyway - I'm glad youre alright, and as a result Jon you will probably never feel the same about driving again unfortunately - just like I dont.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 11:27 AM
Smashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post

Anyhow, i know this sounds morbid and extremely sad, but sometimes I wonder (GOD FORBID) if any of us happen to bite it one way or another - how will any of the other posters know? I mean I've "known" Jonathan and many others here through the internet for a few years now. I know their online personalities, but have never met any of them. We've laughed and argued, traded wits and wished eachother happy birthdays, but when its all said and done... if someone bites the dust - they might just disappear on here and its scary because we may never know what happened to them. Its quite a cultural phenomenon in a way. Its probably happened in tons of forums too. Its scary and odd, because I really dont expect any family members to come on here to tell the news - and even if they did - how to do it.
I've totally thought about that too! Its like all of a sudden, Boop! Off the Radar.

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 12:03 PM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashley View Post
I've totally thought about that too! Its like all of a sudden, Boop! Off the Radar.
Had the same thought many times. Its an odd phenomenon. Knowing how much time I'm on these forums, I think my wife would more than likely let everyone know on here.

MrEctions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 12:07 PM
Salvage21

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Glad to hear youre ok Jonny. Ive been in a few myself.. I had a range rover run through a red light and totaled my brand new Ford Ranger XLT back in 2000. Never got over that. If he had hit me 4 feet to the right he would have slammed right into the drivers side door. Not cool.

But anyway - I'm glad youre alright, and as a result Jon you will probably never feel the same about driving again unfortunately - just like I dont.

I think a lot of people think of that. I'm not well known on these boards yet.. but on other boards there are a bunch of guys that I post back and forth with and would just never know if they drop off the face of the earth. I think it's interesting because.. it's not like regular friends or even acquaintances- everyone here is brought together by their passion for hockey and more specifically the New York Rangers. If you can distinguish someone and get to know them by their personality rather than just recognizing their their avatar, it just makes going onto these boards much more worthwhile.

Anyway.. Obviously glad to hear that you escaped relatively unharmed!

Salvage21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 02:14 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

U can rub that out. A 78year old lady ran me over in May on my motorcycle. I still have pins and screws in my hand and leg! Glad ur ok.

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 02:42 PM
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD

Alright so I'm late for work on a Sunday afternoon and I just spent the night at my ex gf's

I jump on the interborough aka the jackie robinson and start bookin'.

I'm driving a 1991 Nissan Sentra SE-R classic. It's got the works, and I did all the work myself. Motor swap, Turbo, suspension the whole 9. For the car buffs here I was pushing 340whp in a FWD car lol. That car is also TINY. My next mod was going to be the brakes because they sucked and well...what good is a fast car if you cant stop it, right?

So I'm driving a little too fast, I'm not going to get into details because I'm going to get slack from a few on here as is lol. For those who know...the "Jackie", its a fun yet narrow 2 lane parkway. It's got twisties, hills, it's a fun place to drive if there's no one on it.

I come over the hill like a bat outta hell and BAM! DEAD STOP TRAFFIC!! Tires are screeching, I'm braking and downshifting trying to prevent this little go-kart from rear ending this BIG ASS SUV. Guess what? I wasn't going to make it.

When they say your life flashes in front of you...trust me, it really does and when you think you are going to die you go into a survival mode. I'm 100% positive it's why I'm still here today. Now I don't know what made me do this but I just knew that I didn't want to die or kill anyone as well.

This particular part of the jackie has a merge so it widens up just a tad and I decided that since I was driving such a tiny car I would just "tuck" in between the middle of both lanes and maybe take out some paint and mirrors while saving some lives. Well, the cars ahead of me heard my tires screeching and saw me coming at them at high speed.

These genius' see me sliding for the middle and decide to "part the sea" so to speak. In other words, the cars in the left lane turned towards the divider and the cars in the right lane turned towards the grass therefore creating a "little" more room for me to slide thru.

Guys...I slid past 10-12 rows of cars before I came to a stop! And I was only inches from both sides.

The guy in the SUV pulled up next to me about a minute later and told me, "You are luckiest man alive right now, I can't believe you just did that." I was speechless and shaking like a leaf.

I never got to do the brakes on that car...I ended up parting it out and selling everything while it was still in one piece.

This was her...I do miss that biatch

mb13se-r.bmp

-Brian

Old
09-26-2009, 03:03 PM
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashley View Post
As a FireLady I can't tell you how important it is to wear your seatbelt. Many times if we have to extricate you [ahem, jaws of life] from your car, we have to hold our breath while we cut your car apart if your airbag hasn't gone off its pretty much a bomb above your legs waiting to go off as we are slicing & dicing. And thats bad news for us and you. If anything wear a seatbelt to protect you from flying through your windshield and soften the blow of the bag.

I flipped and totaled my friends car in January on the thruway in new paltz and walked away without a scratch cause I was wearing a seatbelt, no airbag ever went off. If anything if it did, I probably would have gotten hurt from the deployment. The car looked like it had minimal damage, but when they lifted it the cars frame was a total cluster**** and the repair cost was more than the value. Honey I think yours is done for judging by those pics

Last night I had a call where this lady rear ended this guy going maybe 25-30 and her bag went off ---it was her cars sixth accident and probably its last. Air bags are super temperamental.

Lesson to all: Never ever ever ever bank on an airbag.

Glad youre alright dear, Adrenaline & the shakes, its super scary stuff.
A guy I know in fire and rescue showed me all these pictures from car accidents, fires etc. Some of that stuff you gotta go thru is just not for everyone. I work in the subway so I see people jumping in front of trains once in a while but it's nothing like what he showed me in those pictures. Some of them were just like, woah Ouch.