HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jan Hejda

Old
09-26-2009, 04:10 AM
Yzerplan
I has one.

vCash: 500
Jan Hejda

a) Jan Hejda is the most underrated defenseman on the Blue Jackets.
b) Jan Hejda is one of the most underrated defenseman in the NHL.
c) Jan Hejda isn't that good if anything hes overrated.
d) none of the above.

Trying to gauge his importance to the Blue Jackets. From what I've gathered, hes very limited when it comes to offensive skill but hes a solid stay at home type. I'm intrigued by the fact his plus/minus rating has been 20 or above two straight seasons, hes one of a handful of players who have done so. Keep in mind I may get to see the Jackets play once, maybe twice a season.

Yzerplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 05:27 AM
mokkan88

I think most Blue Jackets fans have an unspoken appreciation for his ability. As you said, he's very limited in terms of offensive firepower, but as a pure defender he's the best on the team. In the defensive zone, he's about as smart as defenders come; he defends the odd-man rush well, he can throw a brutal hip check, and his awareness on the ice gives him the uncanny ability to be in the right place at the right time. There were a number of instances last year where Mason found himself out of position and Hejda got a stick in to prevent a goal. He has a unique relationship with Mason as well; when Mason comes out on the ice, Hejda is always immediately behind him and skates with him to the goal, and after a victory, Hejda is usually the last in line to congratulate him.

Hejda's the quiet type, however, so he doesn't get much face-time on the boards. In that sense, you might say he's underrated. In any case, I would summarize his importance thus: while Commodore is clearly the most popular of the Jackets' defensemen (recent talk about Moore aside), Hejda is the most solid in terms of defending ability. If I had to choose between the two, I would take Hejda.

mokkan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 05:30 AM
Renion

None of the above.

I think he's probably underrated, by fans at least, but not one of the most underrated. He's also appreciated by his own team.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 05:35 AM
Inquiring Minds

He's the Black Hole of Prague. Attackers go in, and never come out.
Where the opponent's offense goes to die.

Probably most telling is that whoever he is paired with, their +/- improves. Good ice awareness and able to cover his partner's mistakes.
You are correct that he doesn't bring much to the offense, but 3-18-21 is respectable.
He doesn't blow people up, but gets them off their game enough to make them ineffective. Very smart player. Doesn't need or even want the spotlight. Content to shut down his assignments and give his teammates the glory.

Inquiring Minds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 06:56 AM
Jimayo

Judging by NHL 10 and 2K10 where they both lowball his defensive skills, I would say he's one of the most underrated in the NHL.

Jimayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 09:30 AM
Xoggz22
HFB Partner

I would say d) None of the above.

He is underrated by NHL standards in my opinion but he does have holes to his game. Ideally I think he's a 3/4 type d-man that can shut down big lines but doesn't add much to his offensive game. He is BY FAR the most economical top pairing dman in the league. He may not be a legit 1/2 because of the lack of offense but for $2M per season I don't know that there are many established d-men that are better for the cost. (by that I mean guys who are beyond their ELC or maybe even their second contract).

He's a valuable guy that has few let downs. I think he played too many minutes last year and a minor injury slowed him during the final few weeks and playoffs. I take him on my team any day of the year.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 09:32 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimayo View Post
Judging by NHL 10 and 2K10 where they both lowball his defensive skills, I would say he's one of the most underrated in the NHL.

Jan Hejda is the Rodney Dangerfield of defenders in the NHL...

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 09:32 AM
xJarod

Send a message via AIM to xJarod
I say it's b.

xJarod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 10:30 AM
Happy Pony

Combo of B and D.

He's very underrated as a defender, although he is gaining more recognition league-wide by fans (obviously coaches, scouts and GMs know who he is and what his skills are).

His offense is properly rated.

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 12:02 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

I'd say "E".

As in: "Jan Hejda needs to be the Rory Fitzpatrick of next year. His offensive game won't attract enough people to vote him into an All-Star Game, but someone who plays defense like that should have a chance to get the trip and showcase his skills."

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 02:14 PM
Doug19

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 03:07 PM
Hipster Letestu

B - Hejda is underrated. He is an awesome defender who is rarely out of position and I really enjoy watching him play. Funny side note - he and his wife came into my store last year and bought a few items. The person who called them to let them know their items had arrived asked for Jan (think american female name) I had a good laugh after she showed me the order and told me that Jan was the guy's name.

Hipster Letestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 03:39 PM
Fuzzy D

My wife (teacher) often sees him at New Albany Elementary picking up his daughter from school. She says he's always very nice to everyone and it's apparent he's really involved in his daughter's life. Not to say one shouldn't expect that, but you just too often hear about pro athletes that are nowhere to be seen when it comes to these kinds of things.

Anyway, B.

Fuzzy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 03:42 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
D.

After two years of being the most underrated defensman in the NHL, I think he is merely "rated." He isn't going to surprise anyone at this point in time.

09-26-2009, 05:30 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
B

He's not a flashy player that gets his name mentioned by the announcers often, he does his job away from the puck in addition to when on the puck. I think much of what he brings to the table goes unnoticed by many unless singled out to observe for the entire 60 minute game or a coach responsible for the defense.

I rank him #1 on my defensive chart..

I once had a job that was done in front of the public, I was told I was doing my job well if wasn't noticed by the audience, I think that applies in his case.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 05:38 PM
cbjpointman
It begins here

I think I have to vote B. He's just a first class shut-down D. As others have noted, always in the right place, just gets the job done.

I had an observation of Hedja late last year, which I never did post. I don't get to pre-game skates very often, but a couple times late in the year I went and watched. Both times Hejda spent a minute or so firing pucks into the other teams goal as they were skating in circles just warming up. In the last regular season game against the Wings, he just must have fired 10-15 pucks the length of the rink from his goal line into their net. Just very low key, not flashy. Very much in personality. I found it highly amusing. Not sure the other team would agree.

cbjpointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 05:41 PM
cbjpointman
It begins here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
B

I think much of what he brings to the table goes unnoticed by many unless singled out to observe for the entire 60 minute game or a coach responsible for the defense.
This applies nicely to my last anecdote about Jan.

Old
09-26-2009, 05:46 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjpointman View Post
This applies nicely to my last anecdote about Jan.
Yes... I posted before reading your abservation of Jan...

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 06:02 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJarod View Post
I say it's b.
I agree, definitely very under rated league wide.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 07:22 PM
cbjpointman
It begins here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Yes... I posted before reading your abservation of Jan...
I know. That's what made it so spot on. It sums Hejda's personality and game up. You have to sit back and really watch him to appreciate what he does. (or look at the +/- at the end of the year....)