HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ted Nolan

Closed Thread

Old
04-07-2004, 02:26 PM
romain_jaime

vCash: 500
Ted Nolan

Ok, everyone knows that he had success with Buffalo but why hasn't he been able to land another coaching job in the NHL? I've heard stories from many people but I'd like some "knowledgable" people to post with some theories or hard facts as to why he hasn't been able to land in the NHL since... I am truly puzzled as to why this poor guy has been black balled

Thanks !

Old
04-07-2004, 02:28 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Are the Rangers not after him as of right now?

Old
04-07-2004, 02:31 PM
romain_jaime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Are the Rangers not after him as of right now?
Actually no... This will be his 3rd time applying for the Ranger's job

TSN.ca

"It's the third time Nolan has made a serious pitch for the job. He was interviewed by Sather for the vacancy in 2002, losing out to Bryan Trottier. Nolan also attempted to get in touch with Sather last summer before the GM elected to add the title of head coach to his duties"

Old
04-07-2004, 02:33 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by romain_jaime
Actually no... This will be his 3rd time applying for the Ranger's job

TSN.ca

"It's the third time Nolan has made a serious pitch for the job. He was interviewed by Sather for the vacancy in 2002, losing out to Bryan Trottier. Nolan also attempted to get in touch with Sather last summer before the GM elected to add the title of head coach to his duties"
Oh ok, i never bothered reading the article. LOL!,

im to damn excitied about tonight.

Old
04-07-2004, 02:38 PM
mcphee

I'm sure someone can fill in specifics, but the way I understood it was that Nolan tried to run his own powerplay and tried to get Muckler fired and assume his position as GM. Somehow Hasek got involved, Nolan got canned and he got blackballed by the GM's in the league for going after someone in their fraternity. Nolan hasn't helped his case by refusing to go back to a lower level, right or wrong.
I always thought that Nolan's ambitions were ,more towards politics, I've heard him speak and been impressed. I imagine the way he went after Muckler must have raised a few eyebrows because, it's been awhile and people still haven't hired him.
Again, I don't have specifics, so anyone who does can correct me.

Old
04-07-2004, 02:44 PM
All-Star

The closest you'll get to the truth is that he tried to go over his GM's head to try and get the GM fired or something very similar to that. He's been black-balled ever since because the NHL is an "ol' boys' club". It has nothing to do with his coaching abilities and everything to do with his not being a "team player".

Edit: Damn my slow typing skills! mcphee beat me to it!

Last edited by All-Star: 04-07-2004 at 02:52 PM.
Old
04-07-2004, 02:49 PM
Habs

The stories are numerous. Apparently Nolan is a huge troublemaker who had a real problem with the star players, and the general manager.

Gee, sounds like Mario Tremblay.

Old
04-07-2004, 02:49 PM
romain_jaime

Thanks for the info guys... This is basically the information I've heard from other sources as well. You can't blame a GM for not wanting to hire a coach who is going to try and take the rug from under your feet at the first chance he gets.

Old
04-07-2004, 02:52 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs
The stories are numerous. Apparently Nolan is a huge troublemaker who had a real problem with the star players, and the general manager.

That's how I heard it, but have you ever heard the guy talk ? If I'm hiring someone to sell a product, I'd take him in a second. He'd probably want my job though.

Old
04-07-2004, 02:53 PM
romain_jaime

Quote:

Or Iron Mike maybe?

Old
04-07-2004, 02:54 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
That's how I heard it, but have you ever heard the guy talk ? If I'm hiring someone to sell a product, I'd take him in a second. He'd probably want my job though.
He sounds like he's hooked on meth. Again, just like Mario Tremblay.

Old
04-07-2004, 02:54 PM
Mike8

McPhee stated the first knock against Nolan.

Second one as follows (roughly along these lines, it's been a few years now)....

Nolan was interviewed for the head coaching job in L.A. He got word that he landed the job so he leaked it to the press. Taylor found out and since the job wasn't written in stone yet, hired Andy Murray instead.

I believe he's rejected assistant coaching roles and even a head coaching job with an expansion team (forget which). And I think there was a *second* case of him leaking his position with a team after an interview for a head coaching role.

His name is always mentioned whenever a head coach spot opens. He always seems to go through the interview process and screw things up somehow.

Likeable guy, but there seems to be more than a few reasons why he's not in the NHL and hasn't been for years.

Old
04-07-2004, 02:55 PM
All-Star

Quote:
He'd probably want my job though.
NO!!! Keep the Sacred Pretzel far away from Nolan the Ursurper!!!

Old
04-07-2004, 02:57 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8

Second one as follows (roughly along these lines, it's been a few years now)....

Nolan was interviewed for the head coaching job in L.A. He got word that he landed the job so he leaked it to the press. Taylor found out and since the job wasn't written in stone yet, hired Andy Murray instead.

I believe he's rejected assistant coaching roles and even a head coaching job with an expansion team (forget which). And I think there was a *second* case of him leaking his position with a team after an interview for a head coaching role.

His name is always mentioned whenever a head coach spot opens. He always seems to go through the interview process and screw things up somehow.

Likeable guy, but there seems to be more than a few reasons why he's not in the NHL and hasn't been for years.
So in other words he's a moron.

Old
04-07-2004, 03:00 PM
IcE ColD

Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
He's probably the Alain Vigneault type...

Old
04-07-2004, 03:01 PM
mcphee

Quote:
He sounds like he's hooked on meth. Again, just like Mario Tremblay.
I'm getting the impression, you're not a big Mario fan. [I'm perceptive by nature] Agreed, I think spending time with him would have a bad effect on my blood pressure, but I choose to remember the player rather than the coach. The Boomer was my first favorite player, moreso because his name was cool to a six year old, but I think he may be easily the worst coach the Habs have ever had.

My point ? Well I guess I don't have one.

Old
04-07-2004, 03:03 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by romain_jaime
Thanks for the info guys... This is basically the information I've heard from other sources as well. You can't blame a GM for not wanting to hire a coach who is going to try and take the rug from under your feet at the first chance he gets.
Yup. You don't bite the hand that feeds!!!!

Old
04-07-2004, 04:14 PM
Habs

Quote:
I'm getting the impression, you're not a big Mario fan. [I'm perceptive by nature] Agreed, I think spending time with him would have a bad effect on my blood pressure, but I choose to remember the player rather than the coach. The Boomer was my first favorite player, moreso because his name was cool to a six year old, but I think he may be easily the worst coach the Habs have ever had.

My point ? Well I guess I don't have one.
Tremblay is tied with :

Napoléon Dorval
Adolphe Lecours
Jean-Baptiste "Jack" Laviolette

For the worst coaches in Habs history. I've never wanted to see a coach ran over with a Kenworth, so badly in my life.

Old
04-07-2004, 06:13 PM
EaGLE1

After every game, Tremblay was doing his little show with the medias. It was very interresting to see his reactions after a couple of losses...

He was too high and too low. Julien & Vigneault are calm when it's time to talk to the media.

Old
04-07-2004, 06:39 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Tremblay is tied with :

Napoléon Dorval
Adolphe Lecours
Jean-Baptiste "Jack" Laviolette

For the worst coaches in Habs history. I've never wanted to see a coach ran over with a Kenworth, so badly in my life.
Told you I was perceptive.

Old
04-07-2004, 07:00 PM
hockeyman*

I see him in Winnipeg like every time I go to a Moose game, cause his son plays their. He's always walking around.

Old
04-07-2004, 09:38 PM
CHareth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8

It was Tampa. My understanding is that Nolan was also offered a contract when Phil Esposito was GM, but that he turned it down because he wanted more money. Prior to the Tampa affair, Nolan had turned down a contract offer from the Sabres after which point Regier pulled the contract off the table and looked elsewhere. I heard about the LA info leak problem as well.

Nolan has blown opportunities to be a head coach in the NHL, in large part due to his own ego and chip on his shoulder in those days after winning the Jack Adams. He seems to have mellowed and become much more philosophical since, but unfortunately for him, his past alienation of GMs continues to hurt him. I think the only reason his name keeps popping up whenever a coaching position opens up is a PR gimmick for teams - a way of the team telling its fans know that "We're leaving no stone unturned. Yes, we are so committed to finding the right person to coach this team." The most blatant example I have seen in recent memory was when the Flames reported that they contacted the retired Scotty Bowman. That was quite laughable, although I am happy for them that they subsequently found a good coach in Sutter.

Closed Thread