HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2009 Flyers Prospect Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-12-2009, 04:20 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Alright everyone. This is a prospects thread.

If it's going to turn into a brawl between the Carle corner and the Coburn corner, please take it outside, and start a new thread.

Nobody can judge what is going to happen.

This is what we know:
-Carle has clearly improved in both ends of the ice since Pronger has joined.
-Coburn has not looked as good since getting hit in the face.
-Coburn was expected to lead Carle by the hand last season on a pairing, but while moderately successful, it was not great.
-Carle has a history of recklessness in his own zone which may be clearing up this season.
-Coburn is back with Timonen and seems to slowly be getting out of a funk.

Let's not worry about other "elite" defensemen and their development time tables because, frankly each player is an individual.

Back on track:
-We already have 5 top 4 NHL defensemen: Pronger, Timonen, Carle, Coburn, and Parent.
-Parent and Coburn are up for new contracts.
-If Marshall and/or Bourdon pan out like the organization hopes in the next couple of seasons we could have 7 very good NHL defensemen.
-There are other prospects like Bertilsson, Bartilus, Lehtivuori, and to a lesser extent, Bodrov in the defensive pool who could have solid careers ahead of them as well.

So please, either discuss this in another thread or get back on the discussion about prospects. That obviously includes how some of them may eventually replace either Carle or Coburn, but this thread is not for the play of established NHL veterans.

Old
11-12-2009, 09:36 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Just want to point out that tonight Bartulis played very well in his first NHL game. He looked like a natural at times with the puck. He didn't try anything flashy or look nervous at all.

Good showing for someone we could see more of this season.

Old
11-12-2009, 10:02 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Bartulis looked fine, but he and Syvret got pinned a lot.

Old
11-12-2009, 10:04 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Bartulis looked fine, but he and Syvret got pinned a lot.
Meh Bart played over 17 mins his first NHL game. Not to bad I say. He played pretty well for the first game.

Old
11-12-2009, 10:25 PM
Garbage Goal

Bartulis looked very good. I'm impressed by his TOI the most.

I don't hate Syvret like some people on here, but when it comes down to it, I'll want Tollefsen-Bartulis over Tollefsen-Syvret if Bartulis' play keeps up.

Old
11-12-2009, 10:30 PM
HoverCarle*

I definitely think he's better than Syvret, defensively which is all you need from a 3rd pairing guy anyway

Old
11-12-2009, 10:42 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Just want to point out that tonight Bartulis played very well in his first NHL game. He looked like a natural at times with the puck. He didn't try anything flashy or look nervous at all.

If you don't change your avatar to be something orange and black related then...

I'm gonna have to declare kangaroo court.

Old
11-12-2009, 10:46 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:

The Flyers brass have been very high on Bartulis for quite some time now. The problem they had was trying to find a way to fit him into the lineup. Now that he's in, it's going to be real hard to take him out. We could very possibly see Syvret or Tollefsen or maybe even both waived. A Bartulis/Parent pairing would be something very interesting.

Anyways, I've followed Bartulis' career since the time he was drafted and he has always been a good defenseman. The other benefit with him was that at one time, he was a center, so he sees the ice real well and is always on top of his defensive assignments. He might just be a potential shut down defender in the making.

Old
11-12-2009, 10:55 PM
v-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
The Flyers brass have been very high on Bartulis for quite some time now. The problem they had was trying to find a way to fit him into the lineup. Now that he's in, it's going to be real hard to take him out. We could very possibly see Syvret or Tollefsen or maybe even both waived. A Bartulis/Parent pairing would be something very interesting.

Anyways, I've followed Bartulis' career since the time he was drafted and he has always been a good defenseman. The other benefit with him was that at one time, he was a center, so he sees the ice real well and is always on top of his defensive assignments. He might just be a potential shut down defender in the making.
What is Syvret's contract situation like? Can they send him down just as easily as Bartulis or does he have to clear waivers first? I definitely think one game is way too early to be talking about waiving the other two guys , and with both the injured guys most likely coming back this weekend, they have to make a decision by tomorrow. Great debut by Oskars though, couldn't have gone much better. Had a chance to hang out with him when he was in T.O. just prior to the draft. Good kid.

Old
11-12-2009, 11:00 PM
HoverCarle*

I don't think Syvret needs to clear waivers

Old
11-12-2009, 11:08 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
If you don't change your avatar to be something orange and black related then...

Happy now? Jeez.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post

As much as I like the idea of Bartulis/Parent, don't jump the gun just yet. This was only ONE game.

If Parent is ready to go this weekend (which he very well could be), it's going to be interesting to see if the organization decides to go with Bartulis over Syvret for his pairing.

In fact, with our doctors and Parent's recent injury, I'd be perfectly okay with letting Parent sit and letting Bartulis get a little more lengthy NHL tryout, even if it is with Syvret.

Parent certainly can't be hurt by an extra game or two off. These "lower body" things are starting to get annoying.

Old
11-12-2009, 11:23 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

So I just read the Flyers Prospect Update on the Flyers own site and apparently they think that DeSerres was stuck behind "Predators prospect Chet Pickard" in Seattle." How can their own site report something that stupid? I can see if it's some sports reporter that barely knows what hockey is and has to cover 20 sports for his local rag, but I expect correct info on the Flyers site for crying out loud.

Oh and while we're on DeSerres I watched his last game. He really sucks. I've now seen him 8 ish times and hated him every time. Non prospect. Cam Ondrik 2.0 Morrison and Eriksson is where I put my money.

Old
11-12-2009, 11:34 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
Oh and while we're on DeSerres I watched his last game. He really sucks. I've now seen him 8 ish times and hated him every time. Non prospect. Cam Ondrik 2.0 Morrison and Eriksson is where I put my money.
Pretty sure everyone's right there with you.

Old
11-12-2009, 11:42 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post

I was just watching this one.

While the milksteak one might have been my favorite, Charlie attacking the Phillie Phanatic is one of the top-10 moments in the series.

Old
11-13-2009, 11:08 AM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Happy now? Jeez.

As much as I like the idea of Bartulis/Parent, don't jump the gun just yet. This was only ONE game.

If Parent is ready to go this weekend (which he very well could be), it's going to be interesting to see if the organization decides to go with Bartulis over Syvret for his pairing.

In fact, with our doctors and Parent's recent injury, I'd be perfectly okay with letting Parent sit and letting Bartulis get a little more lengthy NHL tryout, even if it is with Syvret.

Parent certainly can't be hurt by an extra game or two off. These "lower body" things are starting to get annoying.
Agreed on keeping Bartulis in the lineup for a couple more games to make sure Parent's healthy. He can skate and defend, and he moved the puck well - almost scored too. His passing was off a couple times, but that should come.

Heck, Syvret almost looked like an NHL player with Oskars as his partner.

Let Parent and Tolly rest a bit more to heal, let's see if Bartulis is No. 6.

Old
11-13-2009, 12:56 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
So I just read the Flyers Prospect Update on the Flyers own site and apparently they think that DeSerres was stuck behind "Predators prospect Chet Pickard" in Seattle." How can their own site report something that stupid? I can see if it's some sports reporter that barely knows what hockey is and has to cover 20 sports for his local rag, but I expect correct info on the Flyers site for crying out loud.

You haven't noticed that everything on a sports team's website is a fluff piece? What reason would they have to bash the guy?

Old
11-13-2009, 01:01 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:

Bartulis has been ready for over a year now. Like I said, Flyers brass have always been very high on the guy. And from watching games in the AHL, you can really see just how good he really is. Honestly, the guy is a Marcus Ragnarsson clone. He just makes the right play and the simple play 99% of the time.

Bartulis is one of those under the radar guys because he doesn't have an offensive game like Bourdon or a physical game like Marshall. However, his hockey sense is probably unmatched by any another Flyers defensive prospect in the organization right now.

I guess I'm just really sold on Bartulis from following his junior career. He's always been a smooth defenseman who doesn't seem to be overwhelmed or in awe of the environment surrounding him. He's probably the calmest defenseman I've seen and his influence directly affected how Syvret played.

Old
11-13-2009, 01:07 PM
Jim Schennson
Bros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I was just watching this one.

While the milksteak one might have been my favorite, Charlie attacking the Phillie Phanatic is one of the top-10 moments in the series.
You mean, Phillie Phrenetic, right? Wouldn't want to get sued.

Speaking of Sunny, how about the prominent Flyers pennant on the wall of Dennis and Mac's apartment on last night's episode? I thought that was pretty cool.

Last edited by Jim Schennson: 11-13-2009 at 01:15 PM.
Old
11-13-2009, 01:12 PM
Jim Schennson
Bros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
You haven't noticed that everything on a sports team's website is a fluff piece? What reason would they have to bash the guy?
What he's saying is that the Flyers site reported that DeSerres was stuck behind Chet Pickard, the Predators 1st round pick, not Calvin Pickard, Chet's younger brother, who isn't even draft eligible until this coming draft. It sounds more acceptable that DeSerres would lose his starting job, and get traded away, because of a 1st round draft pick goalie, from a few years ago, and not some up and coming goalie, who is two years younger than DeSerres. It's just bad reporting. You can't twist the facts to put a positive spin on something, fluff piece or not.

But, as was said, at this point, I think most of us are putting our hopes on one, or both, of Morrison and Eriksson panning out.

Old
11-13-2009, 01:15 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick van Riemsdyk View Post
What he's saying is that the Flyers site reported that DeSerres was stuck behind Chet Pickard, the Predators 1st round pick, not Calvin Pickard, Chet's younger brother, who isn't even draft eligible until this coming draft. It sounds more acceptable that DeSerres would lose his starting job, and get traded away, because of a 1st round draft pick goalie, from a few years ago, and not some up and coming goalie, who is two years younger than DeSerres. It's just bad reporting. You can't twist the facts to put a positive spin on something, fluff piece or not.
Oh, nevermind then. But, as my post would indicate, it's not an obvious mistake to even people that follow hockey.

Old
11-13-2009, 01:59 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Oh, nevermind then. But, as my post would indicate, it's not an obvious mistake to even people that follow hockey.
Doesn't matter. Mistakes like that shouldn't be made.

Old
11-13-2009, 02:34 PM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Doesn't matter. Mistakes like that shouldn't be made.
Lemme guess. Al Alven?

Old
11-13-2009, 03:12 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Lemme guess. Al Alven?
If it's the prospects article I read a bit ago, then yes, it was Al.

I didn't focus on it really too much. I skimmed over the names and read Pryor's take on the prospects I have particular interest in.

I don't necessarily trust the Flyers' evaluations of their own prospects, but you can find some decent information in those kind of articles, especially on European prospects they may be focusing on as well as time tables.

Old
11-13-2009, 11:41 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick van Riemsdyk View Post
You mean, Phillie Phrenetic, right? Wouldn't want to get sued.

Speaking of Sunny, how about the prominent Flyers pennant on the wall of Dennis and Mac's apartment on last night's episode? I thought that was pretty cool.
I am going to be disappointed if there isn't a cameo by a Flyers player next season. They really need to take the next step and I believe that they do most of the filming in the summer.

Also, to keep this one topic... umm... how about them prospects, eh?

Old
11-14-2009, 12:33 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Saskatoon defeated Brandon 4-3, but neither Morrison nor DeSerres played.

Hostetter had an assist and was +4 in an Erie win on Wednesday. He had another assist tonight.

Closed Thread