HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Ridiculous Length of Playoffs

Closed Thread

Old
04-06-2004, 06:00 PM
TimothyR

vCash: 500
Ridiculous Length of Playoffs

I read on one of the hockey sites that the first game of the playoffs is April 7th. The last possible day for the championship (if the cup series went to 7 games) would be June 7th. That is way too long.

Old
04-06-2004, 06:44 PM
Christ

I like longer playoff series. I basically have to miss most of the games in the early rounds due to the Exams and Essay that come with the end of the semester. It is very nice to have a couple of rounds of hockey playoffs to look forward to so that I may unwind after the semeser has ended.

Old
04-08-2004, 04:23 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyR
I read on one of the hockey sites that the first game of the playoffs is April 7th. The last possible day for the championship (if the cup series went to 7 games) would be June 7th. That is way too long.
1. This is because every series is a best-of-7, allowing owners to maximize their revenue at the time of the year when the players are essentially playing for nothing. Also, you can only have so many back-to-back dates in the playoffs with the extra wear and tear that's incurred.

2. Suggestions on what you'd do differently to make it shorter?

04-08-2004, 04:25 PM
Big McLargehuge
No Hope

vCash: 422
This would be the first time I have ever heard a complaint about the NHL playoffs.

The greatest two months of the year

Old
04-08-2004, 10:51 PM
TimothyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
2. Suggestions on what you'd do differently to make it shorter?
I would go back to best of 5 for the first two rounds at the very least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful
This would be the first time I have ever heard a complaint about the NHL playoffs.
I honestly think that this is one of the things that hurts the sport of hockey. I work with and have a lot of friends who are big sports fans but not hockey fans. Their main complaints against hockey are that too many teams make the playoffs and that the playoffs are two long. There is a reason that the hockey playoffs have been nicknamed "The Second Season." What is needed is a playoff and a championship, not another season.

You are correct in that they only reason they are so long is for the owners to make money.

Old
04-08-2004, 11:36 PM
King of Stankonia

Send a message via Yahoo to King of Stankonia
If every game is like tonight, I'd watch it until September.

Old
04-09-2004, 08:11 AM
SENSational

I think the playoffs are fine

Old
04-09-2004, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubina_Fan
If every game is like tonight, I'd watch it until September.
Agreed.

Old
04-09-2004, 09:29 AM
Zeta16

Their main complaints against hockey are that too many teams make the playoffs and that the playoffs are two long.

So do they complain when the same amount of teams make the NBA playoffs, and there playoffs take even longer with a round of best of five.

Old
04-09-2004, 01:29 PM
TimothyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta16
So do they complain when the same amount of teams make the NBA playoffs, and there playoffs take even longer with a round of best of five.
You got me there. I donít know anything at all about basketball. Honestly, those guys donít follow the NBA. They are very big into college, but not pro basketball. I also donít know anything about football. How do their playoffs work? The only sport I know is hockey.

But, since you brought up another league as an example, let me use your argument to bring up baseball. I admit that I donít know crap about baseball either. But, I counted the Cardinalís schedule. They play 162 games. In hockey, with four rounds of seven games each, that equals a possible 28 games. Out of an 82 game schedule, 28 games equals just over one third of the length of the regular season. ONE THIRD. I looked up last yearís baseball playoffs and it looks like they have three rounds of 5 Ė 7 Ė 7 games. Please correct me if Iím wrong. That is 19 games out of a 162 game schedule. Going by hockeyís ratio, they would be playing about 55 games instead of 19. Quite a difference there.

Old
04-10-2004, 07:58 PM
King of Stankonia

Send a message via Yahoo to King of Stankonia
Quote:
You got me there. I donít know anything at all about basketball. Honestly, those guys donít follow the NBA. They are very big into college, but not pro basketball. I also donít know anything about football. How do their playoffs work? The only sport I know is hockey.

But, since you brought up another league as an example, let me use your argument to bring up baseball. I admit that I donít know crap about baseball either. But, I counted the Cardinalís schedule. They play 162 games. In hockey, with four rounds of seven games each, that equals a possible 28 games. Out of an 82 game schedule, 28 games equals just over one third of the length of the regular season. ONE THIRD. I looked up last yearís baseball playoffs and it looks like they have three rounds of 5 Ė 7 Ė 7 games. Please correct me if Iím wrong. That is 19 games out of a 162 game schedule. Going by hockeyís ratio, they would be playing about 55 games instead of 19. Quite a difference there.
You can't really compare Baseball and Hockey. Baseball is a lot less labour intensive than Hockey is. It's basically like comparing Rugby and Golf.

Old
04-10-2004, 11:03 PM
CuSa_1

Actually it's quite simple...

To the true, pure hockey follower. The playoffs are perfect. True fans realize that every 1-0 game is a build up for later in the series. We watch as the first 2 games causes a chain reaction throughout the rest of the series. We can feel the intensity rising, even when no body checks or punches are being thrown. We see momentum shifting, whithout the nifty "momentum meter" of the EA sports franchise. We feel our team's frustration without the lamebrains of ESPN claiming it 10 minutes later. We know just how great it feels to kill a double minor, then dump the puck muscle it to the net and get rewarded with a lucky bounce. We also feel the pain when it happens in reverse.

We are hockey fans. To us, this is the greatest sport one could ever contemplate.

Unfortunately there aren't many true hockey fans, and to those who aren't it is a tedious way to end a boring sport's year. Fuk em!

Old
04-11-2004, 08:29 AM
TimothyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuSa_1
Unfortunately there aren't many true hockey fans, and to those who aren't it is a tedious way to end a boring sport's year. Fuk em!
Crack me up. There are just some pure hockey fans who can actually think for themselves and who are more concerned with the quality of the sport rather than the quantity.

As far as intensity. You must be right. There must be no intensity in football playoffs since they play only one game rounds instead of a series. All those painted faces I see paint them that way just to pass the boring time. Right. I guess we need to explain to them what a first down is since they obviously donít know. How can they? They donít play seven game series. There is no way that any of them can understand the finer points of that sport.

Also, I can see that you think there is so little intensity in pennant races and baseball playoffs since they play fewer games. Yep, all those poor little bored Cardinal fans that put on red because they are so bored. Poor little fans. If only they had three times the playoff games. Then they could actually understand they importance of a sacrifice fly or a suicide squeeze bunt. But alas. Without a playoffs that last until late November, none of them can ever hope to understand the finer points of baseball. Poor, poor fans. Never can they ever hope to understand the sport that they love.

Old
04-12-2004, 12:00 AM
c-carp

Quote:
I dont thionk the playoffs are too long, having to win 4 best of seven series' is one of the main things that make Lord Stanley's Cup the hardest trophy to win in sports. If you want to talk about the regular season being a bit too long, I think you have a point.

Old
04-12-2004, 12:03 AM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuSa_1
Actually it's quite simple...

To the true, pure hockey follower. The playoffs are perfect. True fans realize that every 1-0 game is a build up for later in the series. We watch as the first 2 games causes a chain reaction throughout the rest of the series. We can feel the intensity rising, even when no body checks or punches are being thrown. We see momentum shifting, whithout the nifty "momentum meter" of the EA sports franchise. We feel our team's frustration without the lamebrains of ESPN claiming it 10 minutes later. We know just how great it feels to kill a double minor, then dump the puck muscle it to the net and get rewarded with a lucky bounce. We also feel the pain when it happens in reverse.

We are hockey fans. To us, this is the greatest sport one could ever contemplate.

Amen Bro.

Old
04-14-2004, 04:10 PM
WrightOn

Quote:
Crack me up. There are just some pure hockey fans who can actually think for themselves and who are more concerned with the quality of the sport rather than the quantity.

As far as intensity. You must be right. There must be no intensity in football playoffs since they play only one game rounds instead of a series. All those painted faces I see paint them that way just to pass the boring time. Right. I guess we need to explain to them what a first down is since they obviously donít know. How can they? They donít play seven game series. There is no way that any of them can understand the finer points of that sport.

Also, I can see that you think there is so little intensity in pennant races and baseball playoffs since they play fewer games. Yep, all those poor little bored Cardinal fans that put on red because they are so bored. Poor little fans. If only they had three times the playoff games. Then they could actually understand they importance of a sacrifice fly or a suicide squeeze bunt. But alas. Without a playoffs that last until late November, none of them can ever hope to understand the finer points of baseball. Poor, poor fans. Never can they ever hope to understand the sport that they love.
Go to the baseball game then. That way we won't run into you. What's your point???
you don't have to watch the games....it doesn't even sound like like u are a fan anyway.
Follow a team to the cup and then realize your naivety.

Old
04-15-2004, 12:58 PM
TimothyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrightOn
....it doesn't even sound like like u are a fan anyway.
Follow a team to the cup and then realize your naivety.

Posts like this just freaking kill me. I have been a fan for over 28 years and have season tickets for a number of years. I am a big enough fan to see that there are some serious problems with this league and want to INTELLIGENTLY discuss/debate those problems. Instead there are posts like this. No discussion of the point that I brought up. Instead just some lame comment that if I donít like it the way it is, then I must not be a fan. Iím just not your kind of fan. Iím the kind of fan that loves the game, sees that the game has problems, would like to INTELLIGENTLY discuss those problems and would like to see the problems fixed. Iím just not the type of lame fan that runs around boards like this avoiding the topics to be discussed and writing, ďWow. You said something negative about the NHL. You must not be a real fan.Ē

As far as what is my point? Try reading the thread.

Old
04-15-2004, 03:16 PM
not quite yoda

More Playoff games = More Hockey.
More playoff games = More fun.
More Playoff games = more $ for the owners and players.
More Playoffs games = more entertainment for the fans.

What's a matter with you? If anything MORE teams should make it in the playoffs just so that more fans can enjoy the hunt.

If you are a season ticket holder as you say... I think your problem is that you don't like to have to pony up the money for all the games.

If anything should be shortened it's the regular season. 82 games is totally unecessary. Why 82? Why not 80? Why not 70? (aside from the drop in revenue of course). In Europe the seasons only last 40 games or so.The players are then much better rested of course.

Old
04-15-2004, 03:30 PM
Hockeycrazed07

Send a message via ICQ to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via AIM to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via Yahoo to Hockeycrazed07
More playoff hockey = More money out of my pocket.

Of course, if I didn't want to pay...

~Crazed.

Old
04-15-2004, 05:13 PM
TimothyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by espion
More Playoff games = More Hockey.
More playoff games = More fun.
More Playoff games = more $ for the owners and players.
More Playoffs games = more entertainment for the fans.

What's a matter with you? If anything MORE teams should make it in the playoffs just so that more fans can enjoy the hunt.

If you are a season ticket holder as you say... I think your problem is that you don't like to have to pony up the money for all the games.

If anything should be shortened it's the regular season. 82 games is totally unecessary. Why 82? Why not 80? Why not 70? (aside from the drop in revenue of course). In Europe the seasons only last 40 games or so.The players are then much better rested of course.
I respect your opinion, but mine is that more is not necessarily better. You keep saying that more, more, more is so much better for the fans. How come the NHL doesnít have a network television contract? Why is it that I get choked to death on baseball, football and basketball games but I canít watch other hockey teams play on a regular basis until the playoffs; even though I have 3 sports channels on my cable? Why is it that ESPN carries the freaking strong man competitions, womenís pool, poker leagues, etc. (not that there is anything wrong with any of them) but I canít see more hockey games? How is that better for the fans?

Why is it many sports fans think that the NHL is a stepchild to the other sports? This is the question that I am focusing on when I started this thread. That is why I stated earlier that I have many friends who are sports fans but not hockey fans. As I said, some of their main complaints against hockey are that too many teams make the playoffs and that the playoffs are too long. Those are legitimate points from potential fans. By decreasing the number of teams and the length of the playoffs, you MAY be able to do a couple of things. First, the playoff games may be more intense since the players know they have fewer games to move onto the next round. There would be less chance of fatigue playing a part with serious injuries to star players, thus making the game MORE exciting. Next you may be able to attract many MORE fans. With MORE fans then you might be able to get that network contract and everybody would be able to see MORE games.

If you want the true reason that the playoffs are so long with so many teams, read back in this thread to Irishís post. That is the exact reason. The only more money for the players is via bonuses. Not too long ago it was different and the first two rounds were the best of 5.

Quote:
What's a matter with you? If anything MORE teams should make it in the playoffs just so that more fans can enjoy the hunt..
Again, less may be more. If we can make the game more exciting and attractive to more people, then it is a win for everybody.

Quote:
If you are a season ticket holder as you say... I think your problem is that you don't like to have to pony up the money for all the games..
You think wrong. During the regular season, I set money aside each game for playoff tickets. I already have the money for my playoff tickets through the Stanley Cup round. Also, it is my choice to get the tickets. I choose so willingly since I love the game. Just because I think that the NHL has problems and I have opinions on them does not mean that I love the game any less or I am not a fan. My seats are in the 300ís section. I may not be the richest person or have the closest seats, but at least I am supporting the team and the game with my money and presence at the games. And, let me make it REAL FREAKING CLEAR. I am not implying that I am some kind of a bigger fan than you are if you donít have season tickets. I despise the a$$holes that come on these boards and say how they are bigger fans than some because they have more jerseys, know more stats, have close seats, etc. There are many different types of fans. We are in common because we are fans. True fans give what they can give. I am just one who has been fortunate enough to be able to get those season tickets.

Quote:
Again, if this is what you think, fine. I think itís wrong. I donít like the idea of having a playoff and championship that would last half of or longer what the regular season would run. If that is the case, then why even have the regular season? My definition of playoffs is having the best teams in the league (those teams proving that they are best via the regular season) battle it out to prove who was the overall best. Not every team except those who were utterly horrible making it. You can make the argument that with fewer teams making it that there is less of a chance for upsets. Look at Anaheim last year. True. But, no matter how many make it, there will always be a chance for the lower team to beat the upper team. Also, if fewer teams make it, then regular season games might be much better games since the teams know that every point is important for making the playoffs. Better games equals MORE fans. MORE fans equals more exposure and a chance for MORE fans to see MORE games.

Old
04-16-2004, 04:18 PM
BrokenStick

This is part of the things that set the NHL playoffs apart. The race for the Cup is not a sprint. It is a marathon. This way we know that the best team wins, not the team that gets one single lucky bounce. Momentum shifts, injuries, etc. Everything in the playoffs is a roller coaster ride, and I, for one, would never want it any other way.

Closed Thread