Closed Thread

Old
04-09-2004, 07:53 PM
Professor John Frink

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Professor John Frink
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter
Exactly mi thoughts. Olesz could be ours only with a trade, and I don't think that BM would trade someone for him cause we all know he prefer NA guys.

Why do you think Thelen is a risk pick? It seems he is a solid d-man, maybe because he plays in the NCAA and not in the CHL?
He is a risky pick in that he has really come out of nowhere this season to shoot up the rankings. Which should always bring up a bit of a red flag. In that he could just be having a great year at the perfect time. Don't get me wrong I like him alot and wouldn;t be upset at all if we drafted him at 9. I also wouldn;t be surprised if he never reached the potential they hoped for him by drafting him at 9.

I actually prefer a lot of college players to junior guys. They are more mature IMO and are willing to work harder. They pan out less, but to me they are better team guys.

Old
04-09-2004, 07:57 PM
Jerky Leclerc

Bryan Murray's draft record. Lupul and Brent in 2003. Getzlaf and Perry in 2003. Does anyone have the feeling Murray is staying away from the Euros? Size and character seems to be the premium with Murray so I fully expect the same in 2004. I would be very surprise if we drafted a Euro forward at #9.

Old
04-09-2004, 09:51 PM
Professor John Frink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky Leclerc
Bryan Murray's draft record. Lupul and Brent in 2003. Getzlaf and Perry in 2003. Does anyone have the feeling Murray is staying away from the Euros? Size and character seems to be the premium with Murray so I fully expect the same in 2004. I would be very surprise if we drafted a Euro forward at #9.
Agreed, he is looking for size, heart and charachter mostly for the future of this team. However I think in the past two drafts with both our first two picks, the consensus was Lupul and Getzlaf all around the league. This year at number 9 there is not just one guy who can or should go there are a few that could go.

Perry was different in that the scouts obviously really wanted him to trade up to get him.

I still want best available in this spot. No matter who it is

Old
04-09-2004, 11:46 PM
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor John Frink
Agreed, he is looking for size, heart and charachter mostly for the future of this team. However I think in the past two drafts with both our first two picks, the consensus was Lupul and Getzlaf all around the league.
Also factor in the weak Euro talent in both of those drafts... there wasn't a single one taken last year from 16 to 32 and only 4 total in the 1st round. It wasn't as lopsided 2 years ago but close.

Bottom line is Murray won't pass up a European if he thinks it is the right pick to make.

Old
04-10-2004, 06:55 AM
Fighter
Soviet Duck

vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank
Also factor in the weak Euro talent in both of those drafts... there wasn't a single one taken last year from 16 to 32 and only 4 total in the 1st round. It wasn't as lopsided 2 years ago but close.

Bottom line is Murray won't pass up a European if he thinks it is the right pick to make.
Amen! What I think is that, even if it would be wonderful, I don't see Murray trading to move up in the draft to pick a Olesz or a Barker. At this point if Tukonen is available at #9 BM could draft him since he has top 5 talent, but more probably we'll end up picking one between Ladd, Thelen or Stafford.

I'm also curious about what we'll pick with the second rounder. I'm not sold on Schultz, I would rather prefer Meszaros if he's available (difficult).
Or, if he's available, what about drafting Dubnyk? I think we need a goalie once Gerber will go and Bryz will join Anaheim.

Last edited by Fighter: 04-10-2004 at 06:59 AM.
Old
04-10-2004, 09:17 AM
Professor John Frink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter

I'm also curious about what we'll pick with the second rounder. I'm not sold on Schultz, I would rather prefer Meszaros if he's available (difficult).
Or, if he's available, what about drafting Dubnyk? I think we need a goalie once Gerber will go and Bryz will join Anaheim.
I would go against drafting a goalie in the 2nd round. With the youth of Giguere and Bryzgalov whats the point in wasting such an early pick on a guy who may never honestly get a chance to shine in Anaheim but will be an injury call-up or depth guy mostly. I would look for the Ducks to draft a goalie in round 5 or 6.

Old
04-10-2004, 12:16 PM
Jerky Leclerc

Quote:
I would go against drafting a goalie in the 2nd round. With the youth of Giguere and Bryzgalov whats the point in wasting such an early pick on a guy who may never honestly get a chance to shine in Anaheim but will be an injury call-up or depth guy mostly. I would look for the Ducks to draft a goalie in round 5 or 6.
I respectfully disagree. It usually takes 5 years to develop a goaltender. Well with the new CBA coming out, the age for UFA might be as low as 28 years of age. In 5 years, the Ducks may not have either Giguere or Bryzgalov on the team anymore. It would be wise to develop a top talent who can take over. Anyone remember the old days when our top goaltender prospect was Tom Askey. Well I do and I don't want to relive those days.

Old
04-10-2004, 12:34 PM
Fighter
Soviet Duck

vCash: 692
Quote:
Anyone remember the old days when our top goaltender prospect was Tom Askey.
THOSE were days! :lol

I would use our second rounder only if Dubnyk is still available, if not I would like to pick a d-man.

Old
04-10-2004, 02:01 PM
Professor John Frink

Quote:
I respectfully disagree. It usually takes 5 years to develop a goaltender. Well with the new CBA coming out, the age for UFA might be as low as 28 years of age. In 5 years, the Ducks may not have either Giguere or Bryzgalov on the team anymore. It would be wise to develop a top talent who can take over. Anyone remember the old days when our top goaltender prospect was Tom Askey. Well I do and I don't want to relive those days.
I respectfully disagree with your disagreement. The league is overwhelmed with goaltending and goaltending prospects. And I won't base my opinion on specualtion that the CBA will drop the UFA age. If we didn't draft a goaltender in any round this draft, we would still be fine without a goaltending prospect. Because a deal can still be made to acquire one down the road.

You could also make the argument that BM might let one of Giguere or Bryz walk at the new UFA age, but not both. I just don't think it is worth wasting a top pick on at this point. I'd much rather have a d-man in the 2nd round than a goaltender.

Old
04-10-2004, 06:32 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
I'd much rather have a d-man in the 2nd round than a goaltender.
I agree!!!

Old
04-11-2004, 12:16 AM
Hockey Duckie

Gerber was drafted in the 8th round in 2001. ::: raising shoulders ::: No real need to draft a netminder in the 2nd round, but it's nice to have scouts who know what they're doing. Great find with Gerber! And hopefully we can say the same with Corey Perry.

Old
04-11-2004, 04:19 PM
Jerky Leclerc

Quote:
The league is overwhelmed with goaltending and goaltending prospects. And I won't base my opinion on specualtion that the CBA will drop the UFA age. If we didn't draft a goaltender in any round this draft, we would still be fine without a goaltending prospect. Because a deal can still be made to acquire one down the road.
1) We don't know the market next year on goaltender, let alone three years from now. There's going to be alot of retirements and changes resulting from the CBA.

2) Even today, who's on the market who the Ducks can develop into a #1? Just because there are alot of journeyman on the market doesn't necessarily mean I want any of them. I would much rather use a top pick and secure the future rather than wait and trade a top young asset on the team to get someone later on. The Ducks were fortunate with Giguere because of the expansion draft. I don't see the same thing happen post-CBA 04.

Old
04-11-2004, 04:32 PM
Professor John Frink

Quote:
1) We don't know the market next year on goaltender, let alone three years from now. There's going to be alot of retirements and changes resulting from the CBA.

2) Even today, who's on the market who the Ducks can develop into a #1? Just because there are alot of journeyman on the market doesn't necessarily mean I want any of them. I would much rather use a top pick and secure the future rather than wait and trade a top young asset on the team to get someone later on. The Ducks were fortunate with Giguere because of the expansion draft. I don't see the same thing happen post-CBA 04.
Well we will just again agree to disagree. Drafting a goalie in the 2nd round is not needed at this point. If Bm and crew feels a goalie is the best available then they will draft one, but as far as need I think goaltending is at the bottom of the list for this team as far as need goes.

Old
04-11-2004, 07:57 PM
Jerky Leclerc

Quote:
Well we will just again agree to disagree.
Agreed....but I'm right of course.

Old
04-11-2004, 11:06 PM
Gibsons Finest
R-E-L-A-X

Save the goalies for the later rounds. Look at Euro goalies drafted late: Nabokov, Checkmanek, Gerber, Nurminen, the list goes on. Add in the fact that WE DON'T NEED A GOALIE, and that's why we don't take Dubnyk.

Old
04-12-2004, 07:11 PM
Kick Save

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksflytogether
Save the goalies for the later rounds. Look at Euro goalies drafted late: Nabokov, Checkmanek, Gerber, Nurminen, the list goes on. Add in the fact that WE DON'T NEED A GOALIE, and that's why we don't take Dubnyk.
I agree with your basic point that we don't have to draft a goalie in the early rounds. However, I'm not as sure that "WE DON'T NEED A GOALIE". Gerber is as good as gone. If the reports I've read about Bryzgalov "imploding" in a recent game against Houston are true---supposedly, he stormed out of the net, skated over to the bench and, in essence tried to take himself out of the game after giving up a few "soft" goals---he may not have the mental makeup to cut it in the NHL.

Old
04-12-2004, 11:07 PM
Gibsons Finest
R-E-L-A-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kick Save
I agree with your basic point that we don't have to draft a goalie in the early rounds. However, I'm not as sure that "WE DON'T NEED A GOALIE". Gerber is as good as gone. If the reports I've read about Bryzgalov "imploding" in a recent game against Houston are true---supposedly, he stormed out of the net, skated over to the bench and, in essence tried to take himself out of the game after giving up a few "soft" goals---he may not have the mental makeup to cut it in the NHL.
One blow-up doesn't make a career. He did awesome against the Yotes this year, and should be a good back-up. The "we don't need a goalie" remark was incorrect, though. I should've said we don't need a franchise goalie, or even a starting goalie at the moment.

Old
04-13-2004, 01:15 AM
Randall Graves*

And if he does that in a game in the NHL he will lose the team. He has the physical tools but apparantly not the mental ones needed to succeed.

Sounds like Roman Cechmanek does it not?

Old
04-13-2004, 02:39 AM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Yeah. It's identical. Let's dump him right now.

Closed Thread