HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

leafs will make the playoffs

Old
09-27-2009, 12:24 PM
robdicks

vCash: 500
leafs will make the playoffs

saw this on tsn reporters. cox thought they would make it this year, steve simmons said that one of ottawa, montreal, or toronto would make it and he wasnt sure who.... and michael farber said montreal would make it and toronto wouldnt

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 12:29 PM
Casey Ryback

Oh My GOD!!! I just watched the video and thought my speakers were broken. I'm still flabbergasted and wonder if I should head over to Best Buy to pick up a new set.

Casey Ryback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 12:33 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Cox forget the article he wrote last week, where he pretty much wrote the team off?

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 12:35 PM
Caesium

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/article/699538

Does this mean Cox is bi? He's certainly swinging both ways here.

Caesium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 12:35 PM
Pierre Gotye

These Toronto writers can't figure out what they want to say. The team is good, the team sucks, the team is good, the team sucks.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 12:36 PM
Hurt

Tv! Too Much Pressure.

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 12:37 PM
robdicks

he probably just wants to be counter-point... he loves doing that

Old
09-27-2009, 12:38 PM
JL4L

Send a message via MSN to JL4L
This ensures that either way, Cox can say he's right. Nothing out of the ordinary here.

JL4L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 12:39 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

why does anyone care? what he thinks has no bearing on the outcome. and he has no more insight than a lot of other people

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 12:41 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
why does anyone care? what he thinks has no bearing on the outcome. and he has no more insight than a lot of other people
Cox is like a car accident. You know you shouldn't look, but you just can't help yourself.

Old
09-27-2009, 12:42 PM
Call of the loonie

Cox is on the Gus Train

choo-choo

Call of the loonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 12:42 PM
Caesium

Quote:
No more insight, but more influence. The media does have an impact on how some players play. Some sheeple will also gobble up anything the media feeds them, which impacts fan opinion, which can impact how some players play, or can end up having good players ran right out of town.

Caesium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 12:50 PM
robdicks

Quote:
all this leaf bashing articles are here so i figured i would show u hes not all THAT bad...... or hes scitzophrenic

Old
09-27-2009, 12:50 PM
stoney

After last night's game from Gustavsson, alot of pessimists might have become a little more optomistic. Even if it was only 2 periods.

stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 12:57 PM
Kagunoshi

my god toskala is in trouble

Kagunoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 12:58 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesium View Post
No more insight, but more influence. The media does have an impact on how some players play. Some sheeple will also gobble up anything the media feeds them, which impacts fan opinion, which can impact how some players play, or can end up having good players ran right out of town.
LOL. yeah, I'm sure players give a rat ass what he thinks.

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 01:49 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Cox is simply playing the odds in his favour but not really admitting to anything.

16 teams make the playoffs and 14 teams miss them which = > 50% odds for any team to be IN rather than OUT each season..

If Leafs manage to steal the #8th spot in the East this year that would put 14-15 teams better than them and 14-15 teams worse.

History has shown us that No team in the past decade and beyond has ever won the Cup finishing in the 6-8th positions in either Conference and the Winners are always located among the Top teams.

That will leave the Leafs season and results in the eye of the beholder to determine individually what it all means and if it was successful or not.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 01:52 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

He never says anything worth printing.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 02:33 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Cox is simply playing the odds in his favour but not really admitting to anything.

16 teams make the playoffs and 14 teams miss them which = > 50% odds for any team to be IN rather than OUT each season..

If Leafs manage to steal the #8th spot in the East this year that would put 14-15 teams better than them and 14-15 teams worse.

History has shown us that No team in the past decade and beyond has ever won the Cup finishing in the 6-8th positions in either Conference and the Winners are always located among the Top teams.

That will leave the Leafs season and results in the eye of the beholder to determine individually what it all means and if it was successful or not.
Play both sides of the fence, and you can never be wrong. Fortunately we're not stupid enough to fall into that trap.

Cox reminds me a lot of a certain member on the Leafs board, now that I think of it.

Old
09-27-2009, 02:44 PM
LeafsGuru93
me & Dave Ellett

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
Play both sides of the fence, and you can never be wrong. Fortunately we're not stupid enough to fall into that trap.

Cox reminds me a lot of a certain member on the Leafs board, now that I think of it.
& who would that be, LE??

I'm 100 % sure Cox posts here anyways.... he already stole one of our thread titles & posts within the thread & wrote it off as his own work that appeared in the Star the following day.

It's not how they died that made them heroes, it's how they lived, putting others safety 1st, each & every day. Thanks Toronto police for keeping us safe. -RIP Sgt. Ryan Russell, Const. Garrett Styles.
LeafsGuru93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 02:59 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post

So, 30th or 1st and nothing in between, huh? How is a team supposed to turn around and build a real contender? Your not going to go from lottery to the cup in 1 off-season, Mess.

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 03:12 PM
Skim

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
Cox forget the article he wrote last week, where he pretty much wrote the team off?
That was the first thing that I thought when I read the thread title.

Skim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 03:14 PM
MuchoMacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post
hes not all THAT bad...... or hes scitzophrenic

MuchoMacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 03:18 PM
darty

The leafs and habs are in a similar boat heading into this season as far as predicting how they'll do is concerned. Pretty much impossible, but they're paid to write something, right?

darty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 03:19 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

If you're going to accuse Cox of being a flip flopper, at least read more than the headline of the article that you're using to make the point.

Cox said the projected opening night lineup had weaknesses, which they do. He mentioned other things in the article as well that would help, like the return of Kessel and an AHL stint for Tlusty.

My take on Cox is that he goes out of his way to show he's not drinking the MLSE Koolaid, and he seems to enjoy taking a contrary position to his nemesis Simmons.

Cox seems to get it right about as much as any of them. But his default position, that the Leafs won't do anything special again this year, may not automatically work as well as it has in the past.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote