HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Lucic rivalry is just getting going

Old
09-27-2009, 01:22 PM
sgupca

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post
i agree but are you kidding me?

if brian burke could throw ingredients into a pot and make a player... milan lucic would come out haha he would be interested
Kidding you about what?

We'd need picks to aquire Lucic's rights next summer, picks we don't have....Lucic won't be a target....we don't have the picks or prospects to afford his rights. Burke will be targetting UFA's, and IMO a top line play maker.

Hence why i said Savard.

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 01:25 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupca View Post
Kidding you about what?

We'd need picks to aquire Lucic's rights next summer, picks we don't have....Lucic won't be a target....we don't have the picks or prospects to afford his rights. Burke will be targetting UFA's, and IMO a top line play maker.

Hence why i said Savard.
I can't see Savard getting to free agency. However, there is a chance I suppose. Maybe he'd want to be paired back up with Kessel? That'd probably be our best chance to lure him.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 01:25 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneymcstone View Post
Beauchemin would probably rough up Lucic bad, but it's a waste of his time too.
Lucic would easily handle Beauchemin. I doubt Beauchemin would even fight him if he could possibly avoid it.

The only guy on the Leafs roster that could go toe-to-toe with him is Colton Orr. I assure you, you don't want Mike Komisarek tangling with him. It was like watching fighter from two very different weight classes going. After Lucic handed him his ass, Komisarek never played with the reckless abandon and physical element versus the Bruins again.

However, when Montreal sent Laraque out to go with Lucic, he wouldn't drop them with Big Georges. Lucic said the coach told him not to go with Laraque (for obvious reasons.) The best thing Wilson could do is tell Komisarek not to fight with Lucic. Nothing deflates a team more then seeing one of their guys get rag-dolled.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 01:26 PM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
I can't see Savard getting to free agency. However, there is a chance I suppose. Maybe he'd want to be paired back up with Kessel? That'd probably be our best chance to lure him.
Savard will make it.

Boston may not have to worry about Kessel anymore, but that doesn't mean they arnt out of cap trouble.

next summer they still have to sign Lucic and Wheeler.....those guys will get Savard's money IMO.

Old
09-27-2009, 01:28 PM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Lucic would easily handle Beauchemin. I doubt Beauchemin would even fight him if he could possibly avoid it.

The only guy on the Leafs roster that could go toe-to-toe with him is Colton Orr. I assure you, you don't want Mike Komisarek tangling with him. It was like watching fighter from two very different weight classes going. After Lucic handed him his ass, Komisarek never played with the reckless abandon and physical element versus the Bruins again.

However, when Montreal sent Laraque out to go with Lucic, he wouldn't drop them with Big Georges. Lucic said the coach told him not to go with Laraque (for obvious reasons.) The best thing Wilson could do is tell Komisarek not to fight with Lucic. Nothing deflates a team more then seeing one of their guys get rag-dolled.
I don't think Wilson would tell him that,,,that being said i think Wilson would rather Orr fight him than Komi.

Old
09-27-2009, 01:31 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:

We'll see I guess. But my gut tells me he's not afraid to go with anyone.

Old
09-27-2009, 01:31 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavares in 09 View Post
The love Lucic gets from Bruins fans gets a bit ridiculous at times. I like Lucic alot but they see him as the face of the franchise. He's a role player, a really good one but they hype he gets is ludacris at times.
I'd like to have 2 full lines of just Lucic. That's the kind of heart and sole player you want on your team. He could honestly score 25 goals and have 200 PIM's, he's just that good.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 01:32 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
No, he's not and that's why I love the guy. Beauchemin is awesome. Jealous of that signing.

Old
09-27-2009, 01:33 PM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Komisarek will not be alone handling Lucic this time around like he was in Montreal. Whole difference circumstance...

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 01:35 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsInSeven View Post
Komisarek will not be alone handling Lucic this time around like he was in Montreal. Whole difference circumstance...
It could actually be awesome:

Lucic, Bitz, Thornton v.s Komisarek, Orr, Exelby.

Oh man the fun to be had. Can't wait for Boston-Toronto games this season!

Old
09-27-2009, 01:37 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
It could actually be awesome:

Lucic, Bitz, Thornton v.s Komisarek, Orr, Exelby.

Oh man the fun to be had. Can't wait for Boston-Toronto games this season!
Didn't figure you for a Leaf fan at all. They hold a little place in your heart there dude?

Old
09-27-2009, 02:12 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Let Orr police Lucic. That's his job. Francois Beauchemin is a *much* better defenseman than he is a fighter. Let him do his job and Orr do his and it will be in the best interest of the Maple Leafs.

Old
09-27-2009, 02:31 PM
Dr.Funk

vCash: 1060
I think that it's a mental thing for Komi and he may need to get the upper hand on Lucic just for his own self worth.

Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 02:39 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Let Orr police Lucic. That's his job. Francois Beauchemin is a *much* better defenseman than he is a fighter. Let him do his job and Orr do his and it will be in the best interest of the Maple Leafs.
Ultimately, that's likely what will happen. But Beauchemin will not step down from a challenge, I can pretty much guarantee that.

Old
09-27-2009, 02:45 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Ultimately, that's likely what will happen. But Beauchemin will not step down from a challenge, I can pretty much guarantee that.
Beauchemin is an absolute tank. My cousin met him in person and he told me that it was like looking at a body builder.

To quote Burke, "He's a great fighter, he doesn't do it a lot, but he's good at it".

I'd like to see him against Lucic personally. Orr vs Lucic would be fun to watch since Orr would likely pummel him, but Orr is a heavyweight so it's to be expected. Beauchemin vs Lucic would be fun.

Newfie John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 02:45 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
You're probalby right, and it might come down to that as I would be surprised if Lucic won't go with Colton Orr. With Lucic on the first line (and playing an important role, opening up space for Savard to dipsy doodle, and last year, protecting Kessell) Julien won't allow him to get sucked into five minute majors where the other team loses their goon.

Last year, Laraque was all over him, challenging him all over the ice, face washing him, etc, and Lucic wouldn't go with him. On one hand, it helped the Canadiens cause Lucic was much less aggressive on the ice, but on the other hand, it started to become a sideshow and a distraction.

Old
09-27-2009, 02:46 PM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

What is happening in this thread? Posts keep disappearing...

Old
09-27-2009, 02:49 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
You're probalby right, and it might come down to that as I would be surprised if Lucic won't go with Colton Orr. With Lucic on the first line (and playing an important role, opening up space for Savard to dipsy doodle, and last year, protecting Kessell) Julien won't allow him to get sucked into five minute majors where the other team loses their goon.

Last year, Laraque was all over him, challenging him all over the ice, face washing him, etc, and Lucic wouldn't go with him. On one hand, it helped the Canadiens cause Lucic was much less aggressive on the ice, but on the other hand, it started to become a sideshow and a distraction.
That was playoffs though, correct? It didn't happen much in the regular season, where there is a little more room for error.

EazyB97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 02:50 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
I think this is the year we see a rivalry with Boston start, I really do. Kessel and Komisarek inspire alot of hate in Bruins fans.

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 02:51 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
That was playoffs though, correct? It didn't happen much in the regular season, where there is a little more room for error.
No, that was in the regular season, before Laraque left the lineup for a long stretch with back woes. This would have been around late November.

In the playoffs, he had Laraque didn't cross paths much, becuase, strangely, Laraque was playing in the Top Six trying to make room out there and wasn't matched up with Lucic much.

By the way, How ya been EazyB97, haven't chatted with you in ages!

Old
09-27-2009, 02:55 PM
bluumax

lucic's rep around the league reminds me of phaneufs after his first season, people thought he was some sort of iron man and completely overated him. where lucic is a tough guy, i really think theres more than a few guys on our team tht could give him a good run in a fight

bluumax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 02:57 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
No, that was in the regular season, before Laraque left the lineup for a long stretch with back woes. This would have been around late November.

In the playoffs, he had Laraque didn't cross paths much, becuase, strangely, Laraque was playing in the Top Six trying to make room out there and wasn't matched up with Lucic much.

By the way, How ya been EazyB97, haven't chatted with you in ages!
Same as usual, nice to see you around again.

Laraque played on your top line for game 1 of the playoffs, I definately remember that. I believe he was moved off it mid-way through the game though. I wasn't sure if Gainey tried the same thing (with Laraque trying to grab Lucic) during the regular season. I can't see Lucic fighting Orr, that's what Thornton is there for (and at worst Chara would step in). I invision Komisarek getting beaten handily by Lucic, then Beauch/Exelby/Schenn trying to step in either later that game or later in the season. Not sure any of them can beat Lucic, I think Beauch has the best shot of actually beating him in a fight, while Schenn might be able to wrestly him and contain him. I think this is one of the worst things Komisarek can do though, Lucic embarassed him last season. Let it go, play gritty and take your lumps.

Old
09-27-2009, 03:00 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluumax View Post
lucic's rep around the league reminds me of phaneufs after his first season, people thought he was some sort of iron man and completely overated him. where lucic is a tough guy, i really think theres more than a few guys on our team tht could give him a good run in a fight
I always wonder that, then I check out his fights on hockeyfights.com and realize this kid fights like a heavyweight. He wins the vast majority of his fights fairly easily. Take a look at his fight against Neil last night (even though Neil isn't the fighter he once was).

Old
09-27-2009, 03:04 PM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
I always wonder that, then I check out his fights on hockeyfights.com and realize this kid fights like a heavyweight. He wins the vast majority of his fights fairly easily. Take a look at his fight against Neil last night (even though Neil isn't the fighter he once was).
Pssst! Neil never was a very good fighter. He has been a very good agitator and aggressive forechecker. Remember when he was afraid to fight either Tie Domi or Wade Belak? I certainly do.

Old
09-27-2009, 03:13 PM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
I wanna see if Lucic is willing to drop the mits with Orr. I'd be willing to bet that he isn't.

Nazem Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote