HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Lucic rivalry is just getting going

Old
09-27-2009, 04:12 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

vCash: 500
If Komi is afraid of or not willing to fight Lucic, he has no heart. I wouldn't think for a second that he would be afraid to try it again. Every player gets lucky with a take down, or lucky shot that dazes their opponent, if that discourages him, then fighting is not his thing, which clearly isn't the case based on how he plays, and what he has said in regards to his play against Lucic. He is not afraid, nor is going to bakc down or lose so bad that it would effect his game. Barring of course an injury from the fight.

This Lucic thing is way over-rated. Tough player? Absolulty, but any man with heart doesn't cower from anyone. Komisarek will show that.

Can't *** wait!!!!!

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 04:20 PM
Machinae

This is about pride. Komisarek won't let Beauchemin or Schenn or Exelby or Orr or ANYONE fight his battle.

Machinae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 04:22 PM
Mr Scarface*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupca View Post

I think Burke's target will be a playmaking Centre next summer.

Marc Savard maybe?
He might get them both. He's that talented, if we look at his brain.

Mr Scarface* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 04:23 PM
Mr Scarface*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinae View Post
This is about pride. Komisarek won't let Beauchemin or Schenn or Exelby or Orr or ANYONE fight his battle.
Yep, also about that. When Komisarek has fought against him, then it's Beauchemin's turn, Exelby's turn and Orr's turn to hit him hard and heavy, with haymakers.

Mr Scarface* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 04:23 PM
HellasLEAF
Bring back Killer

ugh, all this fawning over Lucic. I don't even care about this guy, his rivalry was with Montreal.

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 04:24 PM
Mr_Fun
phil kesel fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
Personally, I think Beauchemin could do well against Lucic.

He took on Iginla, and looked great. Beauchemin is a beast!
Bo can be quite the mental case when need be...I like it!

Mr_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 05:27 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post
ugh, all this fawning over Lucic. I don't even care about this guy, his rivalry was with Montreal.
You can be sure his rivalry now is with Toronto.

Lucic was all over Komisarek, but besides maybe Lapierre (well, name me one single player in the league who doesn't want to kill Lapierre), no player had anything going with Lucy.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 05:39 PM
Garbs
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm sure Komisarek will have a lot more confidence playing against Lucic knowing he's not being backed up by a bunch of pansies and an enforcer who doesn't fight.

The presence of Orr, Rosehill, Schenn and Exelby (among others) changes the dynamics a bit.

Boston/Lucic aren't in any kind of position to start a street fight with us. They'll lose. They know this.

09-27-2009, 05:49 PM
allyb

Send a message via ICQ to allyb Send a message via Yahoo to allyb
If you watch Lucic fights he certainly chucks them , once he starts getting tagged more often he will go more defensive in style, there is no way he will take on Orr , he's made for Colton re the Erskine fight, we got so many guys that will go Lucic he will be more wary of us than us of him

allyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 05:56 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinae View Post
He gladly sat back last year and let Georges Laraque try to fight his battle.

You guys need to stop trying to make Komisarek something he's not. The man is not a fighter. He never been a decent fighter in his whole NHL career. He came out of the NCAA where fighting isn't part of the game.

What he is is a solid, bruising NHL defenseman that can eat up some minutes, take the body, clear the front of the net and block shots with wreckless abandon. That's a pretty damn good package. So what if he doesn't fight guys? You have other guys in the lineup that can do that. Komisarek is *much* more valuable to Toronto playing defense then he is getting filled in by Milan Lucic. Let him pass and have Colton Orr police Lucic.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 05:59 PM
eyeball11

I'm a big Lucic fan but Lucic to date doesn't tangle with any top heavys. A lot of lesser lights on his resume. If he wants to become a Clark type player, he needs to step up and face the big boys. Until such time, expect him to avoid Orr.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 06:02 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbs View Post

The presence of Orr, Rosehill, Schenn and Exelby (among others) changes the dynamics a bit.

Boston/Lucic aren't in any kind of position to start a street fight with us. They'll lose. They know this.
First of all, you don't really think Jay Rosehill is going to make the team, do you?

Secondly, I know Brian Burke has got the fanbase all excited about how "tough" the team is, but I'm assuming you're being tongue and cheek here, right?

You think Boston "knows" they would lose if the game turned into a brawl? Really? They have Zdeno Chara, Milan Lucic, Byron Bitz and Scott Thornton in their lineup. Do you really think they're gonna be frightened of Orr and Exelby? You're listing Luke Schenn as a fighter that scares people? C'mon, get serious.

Either way, it's 2009, and lineups built to fight have long since been extinct in the NHL, so it's just as well that Burke has instead built a tough club that can acutally play hockey, not brawl. The Leafs should be interesting to watch this year, but don't expect the Bay Street Bullies out there intimidating people, I just don't think it's gonna happen.

Old
09-27-2009, 06:15 PM
Purple Hayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
First of all, you don't really think Jay Rosehill is going to make the team, do you?

Secondly, I know Brian Burke has got the fanbase all excited about how "tough" the team is, but I'm assuming you're being tongue and cheek here, right?

You think Boston "knows" they would lose if the game turned into a brawl? Really? They have Zdeno Chara, Milan Lucic, Byron Bitz and Scott Thornton in their lineup. Do you really think they're gonna be frightened of Orr and Exelby? You're listing Luke Schenn as a fighter that scares people? C'mon, get serious.

Either way, it's 2009, and lineups built to fight have long since been extinct in the NHL, so it's just as well that Burke has instead built a tough club that can acutally play hockey, not brawl. The Leafs should be interesting to watch this year, but don't expect the Bay Street Bullies out there intimidating people, I just don't think it's gonna happen.

Very, very good points.

Although I do think we match up pretty well with Boston if a brawl did break out. Rosehill may not make the team, but Orr, Exelby, Komisarek, Beachamin, Schenn and Primeau are all very tough players.

I think this does make a difference when playing a team like Boston because even though they have Chara, he won't be fighting unless he absolutely has to ... it's a stupid trade off for Boston.

I think the leafs toughness will be implemented into their game; it won't BE their game.

Purple Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 06:22 PM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:

Shawn Thornton.

MAybe you should delete this post...

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 06:50 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsInSeven View Post
Shawn Thornton.

MAybe you should delete this post...
Byron Bitz got beat to bits too this preseason by one of our players, can't remember which one. Chara? Sure, but I'd sacrifice getting one of our goons beaten up to get him off the ice for 5 minutes.

Newfie John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 07:57 PM
Garbs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Nothing I said is even the least bit worthy of a discussion, which is probably why your leading counterargument is about Jay ****ing Rosehill of all things, so as far as me responding to anything you just wrote, it's not happening.

But besides that I thought I'd let you know if you ever address me with "first of all" again, I'm not reading it.

Garbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 09:40 PM
Quik
Agent 0091

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavares in 09 View Post
The love Lucic gets from Bruins fans gets a bit ridiculous at times. I like Lucic alot but they see him as the face of the franchise. He's a role player, a really good one but they hype he gets is ludacris at times.
He's basically their Darcy Tucker or Tie Domi. Not a guy that's going to carry a team with his offensive production, but his heart has fans in love with him. Until he's getting over-paid and underproduces, Lucic will be a god in Boston.

Quik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 09:51 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Pretty good possibility actually. Especially with Mayers hurt.

Quote:
Doubt it. The Leafs are physically imposing. Not only through fighting, but through hitting. The Leafs can hurt teams with their fists or hits through various players. Schenn, Beauchemin, Komisarek, Exelby, Orr, Rosehill, Primeau, etc.

Quote:
Bitz got beaten to bits the other night vs T.O. Orr can beat any of those guys in a fight. Every team has their physical guys, the Leafs just have more of them.

Quote:
Either way, it's 2009, and lineups built to fight have long since been extinct in the NHL, so it's just as well that Burke has instead built a tough club that can acutally play hockey, not brawl.
Guess you weren't around when the Ducks won the cup. Where did they rank in PIM?

Quote:
The Leafs should be interesting to watch this year, but don't expect the Bay Street Bullies out there intimidating people, I just don't think it's gonna happen.
Well, you hope. It wouldn't be very good for the smurfs of Montreal.

Newfie John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 09:56 PM
Zardoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie John View Post
Byron Bitz got beat to bits too this preseason by one of our players, can't remember which one. Chara? Sure, but I'd sacrifice getting one of our goons beaten up to get him off the ice for 5 minutes.
it was Rosehill... he chewed him up...

and Rosehill may even make the team with Mayers out? I haven't seen the final cuts yet, but I would think he's in line to be there on the 4th line though.

Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 09:57 PM
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeZone View Post
We have Orr to take care of Lucic.

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 10:05 PM
Pandemic

Bruins fan here... just came to say that Byron Bitz isn't very much of a fighter.. he sucks when it comes to fighting. He's a good, big body for hitting and grinding though.

Pandemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 10:09 PM
Zardoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post
Bruins fan here... just came to say that Byron Bitz isn't very much of a fighter.. he sucks when it comes to fighting. He's a good, big body for hitting and grinding though.
I'm glad to hear someone admit that. for some reason he keeps getting lumped into the Bruins list of intimidating guys. He's tough, no doubt, and he can hit for sure; not at all a fighter though.

but yeah, I've seen him listed multiple times now with Thornton and Lucic as a fighting presence, which doesn't make sense to me.

Old
09-27-2009, 10:35 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanLackey View Post
I'm glad to hear someone admit that. for some reason he keeps getting lumped into the Bruins list of intimidating guys. He's tough, no doubt, and he can hit for sure; not at all a fighter though.
Well, Wayne Primeau of all people is being lumped in as one of the Leafs big tough fighters (as are Komsiarek and Schenn) so under that precedent, Byron Bitz seems like a good fit.

Old
09-27-2009, 10:46 PM
Zardoz

Quote:
Well, Wayne Primeau of all people is being lumped in as one of the Leafs big tough fighters (as are Komsiarek and Schenn) so under that precedent, Byron Bitz seems like a good fit.
That's true... Primeau is probably only slightly more apt at fighting than Bitz. and much of that is to do with age and experience more than anything.

Orr, Rosehill, Beauchemin and Mayers are probably the toughest fighters on the team, with Mayers the least of the bunch.

Old
09-27-2009, 10:48 PM
WDR357

You fellas realize that Lucic is all of 21 years old right? He will not be known as a goon when all is said and done. The B's are looking at him as a possible Cam Neely type over the long term. Last year as a 20 year old, he had 42 points in 72 games. Why would he or Chara would waste their time with a Maple Leaf goon? That's what Thornton is for. This is like my saying "we'll have Thornton take out Lidstrom the next time we play the Red Wings". Comical. Yah, ever once in a while they'll both take on lesser players. He sure as hell has a lot more talent than Tie Domi ever had.

Ferris Rox seems to see the picture pretty clearly.

WDR357 is offline   Reply With Quote