HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lucic rivalry is just getting going

Old
09-28-2009, 12:21 AM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

vCash: 500
Komisarek isn't a fighter. I liked him, but I knew Komisarek didn't like dropping the gloves with Lucic. I don't blame him, he gets handled by him out there, both in hits and in fights. Komisarek does what he knows how to do, and he does it well. Asking him to fight isn't his game. The typical Komisarek fight begins by him hitting the opponent, then while the opponent is on the ice, he'll continue shoving them down, and at one point he'll allow the player up (whos obviously angry) and then he'll let his gloves fly and let haymakers go. Most of his fights look like that, or he shoves them a lot.

Him shoving Hartnell.

Not letting Dubinsky back up, and then shoving.

Shoving Witt.

Theres also a hugging match with Brashear, same thing with Neil, Gregory Campbell, and Scott Walker. The one fight he goes toe to toe with someone is pretty much Lucic, and everyone and their grandmother know how that one turned out.

My advice: Let Beauchemin, Exelby, Orr do the fighting Mike. Your paid too much to risk injuries. Stay away from Lucic.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 12:33 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Lucic would easily handle Beauchemin. I doubt Beauchemin would even fight him if he could possibly avoid it.
Didn't Beauchemin fight Phaneuf to a standstill? That ought to prepare him for Lucie.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 12:35 AM
Zardoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealistic View Post
My advice: Let Beauchemin, Exelby, Orr do the fighting Mike. Your paid too much to risk injuries. Stay away from Lucic.
unless Komisarek spent the summer amassing a fighting training montage like in Youngblood...

Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 12:37 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

It's all about the montage.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 12:47 AM
Zardoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Didn't Beauchemin fight Phaneuf to a standstill? That ought to prepare him for Lucie.
I don't remember the Phaneuf fight, but he really handled Iginla well... he is a very underrated fighter, and I think he'd match up well against Lucic for sure.

and yeah, the montage is key! haha

Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 02:04 AM
Pandemic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanLackey View Post
I'm glad to hear someone admit that. for some reason he keeps getting lumped into the Bruins list of intimidating guys. He's tough, no doubt, and he can hit for sure; not at all a fighter though.

but yeah, I've seen him listed multiple times now with Thornton and Lucic as a fighting presence, which doesn't make sense to me.
It doesn't make very much sense to me either. Don't get me wrong.. the guy is as tough as nails, but he just isn't really an intimidating factor when it comes to fighting. To be honest.. I'm one of the few Bruins fans who thinks we aren't AS tough as we make ourselves out to be.

Pandemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 02:54 AM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleets View Post
The love he gets is no different than what Clark got in Toronto.
...and if Lucic were a Leaf, he'd probably get the same from us.
Objectivity. How refreshing!

We Bruins love hard nosed hockey. Burke is from Boston and brought the same mentality to his teams. I don't understand why so many Leafs fans will want to pile on the guy just because they feel they have to defend KOme after he signed with the Leafs. Yzerman sees Lucic as a potential member of Team Canada --so ya, he's obviously just a "role" player as someone else on this thread said.

PS- Komisarek brought this upon himself by going after Lucic's knees in the first round of the 7 game series a few years ago. If you want to defend/condone that type of hockey that is your decision.

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 07:39 AM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

I'd take Milan Lucic on my team any day, I love these sort of big rugged wingers who can actually play hockey. They're rare NHL players. But it's funny reading the keeners who are comparing Lucic to Neely. Size, yes. Toughness, yes. Offensive skill, not even remotely close, did you ever see Neely play? Terrific young player but not Superman.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 07:48 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDR357 View Post
You fellas realize that Lucic is all of 21 years old right? He will not be known as a goon when all is said and done. The B's are looking at him as a possible Cam Neely type over the long term. Last year as a 20 year old, he had 42 points in 72 games. Why would he or Chara would waste their time with a Maple Leaf goon? That's what Thornton is for. This is like my saying "we'll have Thornton take out Lidstrom the next time we play the Red Wings". Comical. Yah, ever once in a while they'll both take on lesser players. He sure as hell has a lot more talent than Tie Domi ever had.

Ferris Rox seems to see the picture pretty clearly.
At 5'11" and 200 lbs, Wendel Clark took on all comers and was also able to play at a point per game pace at times. When Lucic produces like Clark, talk to me about "wasting time" because at the moment, that's a cop out.

By the by, in Clark's first 2 seasons he had 52 fights. That's amazing (Semenko only had 61 in his entire career).

As an aside, this is Lucic's fight card to date:

Brad Winchester
Raitis Ivanans
Nick Tarnasky
Ben Eager
Mark Bell
David Clarkson
Jared Boll
Barret Jackman
John Erskine
Wade Brookbank
Tim Gleason
Jarkko Ruutu
Matt Bradley
Michael Komisarek
Nick Boynton
Brendan Witt
Eric Boulton
B.J. Crombeen
Tim Wallace
Mike Brown
Chris Neil
Phil Oreskovic
Josef Melichar
Maxim Lapierre

If he wants to be held in the same breath as Clark or Neely, he'll need to step up into the big boys ranks of fighting as well as continue to grow offensively.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 08:04 AM
Courage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsInSeven View Post
I'd take Milan Lucic on my team any day, I love these sort of big rugged wingers who can actually play hockey. They're rare NHL players. But it's funny reading the keeners who are comparing Lucic to Neely. Size, yes. Toughness, yes. Offensive skill, not even remotely close, did you ever see Neely play? Terrific young player but not Superman.
I'm with you. I love Lucic's game. Let me say that again: I love Lucic's game. I wish the Leafs could boast him as their own. However, he doesn't even sniff Neely's offensive ability at this stage, and I don't think he ever will.

Courage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 09:08 AM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Well, Wayne Primeau of all people is being lumped in as one of the Leafs big tough fighters (as are Komsiarek and Schenn) so under that precedent, Byron Bitz seems like a good fit.
Are you referring to this post by myself?

Quote:
Doubt it. The Leafs are physically imposing. Not only through fighting, but through hitting. The Leafs can hurt teams with their fists or hits through various players. Schenn, Beauchemin, Komisarek, Exelby, Orr, Rosehill, Primeau, etc.
Read it again. Particularly the second sentence.

Newfie John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 09:15 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie John View Post
Are you referring to this post by myself?

Read it again. Particularly the second sentence.
Yeah, I'm sure plenty of teams are going to be intimidated to play Toronto because of the tough, punishing checking of Wayne Primeau.

Get serious. I mean really, it's one thing to have said this, but you've reposted it a second time!

FerrisRox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 10:08 AM
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuleHandNik View Post
I wanna see if Lucic is willing to drop the mits with Orr. I'd be willing to bet that he isn't.
I'd wager he would drop the mits in a second with Orr. Might very well drop Orr too. Lucic packs dynamite in his fists man.

Don't really think there is a person in the league that he would back down from

Last edited by KapG: 09-28-2009 at 10:14 AM.
KapG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 10:56 AM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, I'm sure plenty of teams are going to be intimidated to play Toronto because of the tough, punishing checking of Wayne Primeau.

Get serious. I mean really, it's one thing to have said this, but you've reposted it a second time!
You're taking it a little too seriously. Primeau is a decent hitter, obviously not as good as Schenn, Komisarek or Beauchemin, but he's made a few crunches in the preseason.

If it makes you happy, I'll reduce the list to Schenn, Beauchemin, Komisarek, Orr, Exelby and Rosehill.

Newfie John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 11:53 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post
I'd wager he would drop the mits in a second with Orr. Might very well drop Orr too. Lucic packs dynamite in his fists man.

His fight card is less than impressive.

Old
09-28-2009, 12:29 PM
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
His fight card is less than impressive.
And why should it? Lucic is not a goon. He is a 21 year old skilled player (future olympian?) who also fights. He'll get more points this year than your 23 year old rookie Stalberg. Once again, Lucic is not a goon. And the only reason he picks on the bigger Komisarek is because Komisarek is a dirty player who picks on smaller players all the time.

As to Beauchemin, I think Morris could handle him. But who on your team can handle Chara? I think a mad Chara would eat Orr alive.

Shoebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 12:41 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post

This is exactly what we talk about when we say Lucic is over-rated. Every decent fighter has the ability to knock people not named Domi out, but to get that lucky with a pro fighter is pretty slim. I doubt we will ever see that happen.

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 12:45 PM
Drakkor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebottom View Post
And why should it? Lucic is not a goon. He is a 21 year old skilled player (future olympian?) who also fights. He'll get more points this year than your 23 year old rookie Stalberg. Once again, Lucic is not a goon. And the only reason he picks on the bigger Komisarek is because Komisarek is a dirty player who picks on smaller players all the time.

As to Beauchemin, I think Morris could handle him. But who on your team can handle Chara? I think a mad Chara would eat Orr alive.
True enough, but I'll take that trade off any day of the week.

Drakkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 12:59 PM
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Irish Trash View Post
This is exactly what we talk about when we say Lucic is over-rated. Every decent fighter has the ability to knock people not named Domi out, but to get that lucky with a pro fighter is pretty slim. I doubt we will ever see that happen.
You notice how I said "might" right?

I said that he would very well drop the mitts with Orr and that he "Might very well" drop him. That right there is not me saying "he would knock orr out".

Howam I overrating him when I say that he would drop the gloves with Orr and that he "might" drop him?

I think you are just getting your panties in a twist.

EDIT----

I don't think there is ANYONE in the league who could beat up a mad Chara.

Old
09-28-2009, 01:05 PM
facey

boogard?

the HUGE boy out in edmonton?

Myers 2-3 years from now?

i still want to see him actually exchange punches with BGL, brash, or Belak....

facey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 01:13 PM
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by facey View Post
boogard?

the HUGE boy out in edmonton?

Myers 2-3 years from now?

i still want to see him actually exchange punches with BGL, brash, or Belak....
What is that kids name out in Edmonton? The kid is a freak lol.

iunno, I still think if they end up trading knuckles and not wrestling, that Chara hurts alot of them

Old
09-28-2009, 01:19 PM
Brozak
i scoreded a goal

I personally think that Lucic has more beef with the Canadiens than he has with Komisarek, and now that Komi is singing a completely different tune, the rivalry will probably be relinquished.

I just don't want to feel like the Leafs have to clean up a Hab's mess.

[edit] If Komi felt the need to drop gloves with Lucic again, he should call Brad Staubitz up and get some MMA tactics.

Brozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 01:20 PM
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undrafted View Post
I personally think that Lucic has more beef with the Canadiens than he has with Komisarek, and now that Komi is singing a completely different tune, the rivalry will probably be relinquished.

I just don't want to feel like the Leafs have to clean up a Hab's mess.
I heard that the beef actually was with Komi.

If I recall correctly it was because of a cheap hit Komi threw at Lucic...went after his knees I believe.

Old
09-28-2009, 02:36 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebottom View Post
And why should it? Lucic is not a goon. He is a 21 year old skilled player (future olympian?) who also fights. He'll get more points this year than your 23 year old rookie Stalberg. Once again, Lucic is not a goon.
Neither was Wendel Clark, in fact he was known at times to produce at the point per game level. Clark, of course fought all comers.

If you're going to act like Lucic has after fights and if your fanbase is going to hype him in the Neely or Clark mold, he better start stepping up to the big boy leagues.

Lucic (1st 2 years)

149 GP 25 G 44 A 69 Pts 23 Fights

Clark (1st 2 years)

146 GP 71 G 34 A 105 Pts 52 Fights

Old
09-28-2009, 03:39 PM
8spokesontheB
Cry Havoc!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
Burke is from Boston and brought the same mentality to his teams.
Burke is from Rhode Island, raised in Minnesota.

8spokesontheB is offline   Reply With Quote