HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rob Schremp claimed by Islanders

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-29-2009, 04:27 PM
  #326
Moskau
Registered User
 
Moskau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Western New York
Posts: 9,877
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
The fact that the Isles feel a need to make room for guys like this is a sure sign of how low we've suken. The real frustration aspect of the Schremp acquistion is that he might even make our team better, and that is a sad statement on the frachise.
I think the scariest part is that they've reportedly been interested in Schremp for damn near a year now.

I wouldn't want him anywhere near Tavares in his rookie season because every bad part of Schremp's game right now is exactly what you don't want Tavares to be surrounded by. It feels like ultimately they will see time together at some point because that's what happens but I hope for John's if younger players are going to rub off on him their names are Bailey and Okposo.

Any word what units Tavares will see this year? I'm assuming PP1 and some PK2 time (for growth).

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 04:45 PM
  #327
Randall Graves*
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 18,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnut View Post
I can't stand some of the Ducks' fans here.
Most of them can't stand you

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 04:47 PM
  #328
jlockhart89
Registered User
 
jlockhart89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Humboldt, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,756
vCash: 500
Meh, I loved Schremp as a prospect but it seemed pretty obvious this year in training camp that his skating is really lacking.

I wish him all the best on the Island though.

jlockhart89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 05:57 PM
  #329
Roof Daddy
Registered User
 
Roof Daddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
What if the Oilers had given up on him earlier, and then Schremp went on and developed? How would you feel then?

My way of looking at it: Lowe took a smart gamble in the draft, put some energy into developing his asset, and it didn't work out. Sometimes that happens. Can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs, and sometimes sensible moves just don't work out.

I still say Oiler fans have absolutely nothing to feel bad about and I only wish Isles had consistently put this kind of effort into developing prospects in the past.
I can't say I agree with you DM, nor would many Oil fans considering we had very little control over his AHL playing time in his first pro season because we shared an AHL franchise with the Pens (Wilkes-Barre). And that team was primarily Penguins prospects and operated with them as the centerpiece. I wouldn't call that quality development.

Either way, I hope he succeeds as an Islander, but I wasn't too impressed with his play in the ex game vs TBay. He tries too much one on one stuff without the separation speed that the guys who succeed one on one have. Either way, at worst he cracks your team's top ten in terms of skill. That's gotta be worth 2nd unit PP and 3-5mins of ES on the 4th line.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 07:02 PM
  #330
Senor Catface
Registered User
 
Senor Catface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Nepal
Posts: 6,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandlak View Post
Jesus.

At least one of the following is true:

A) Schremp was a bad pick
B) The Oilers didn't do a good job of developing him.
C) He had value at one time, but the Oilers held on to him until he no longer had any value.


Any of the above constitutes poor asset management. Any way you look at it, Edmonton is guilty of at least one, if not all, of the above.
A) Schremp was not a bad pick. You take the uber-talented player at 25 no matter what...glaring holes or not. If the situation came up, they would do it again. If you want some perspective of what people thought Schremp would go in the draft, check out this board's history.

B)How? He didn't have any defensive game and it really showed and he was a poor skater so they wanted to be patient and let him do that in the minors. He had a very average year his first year, a great second year, and a putrid year the third. What exactly cries out developing him poorly? Some players take time to develop, and the Oilers tried it with Schremp but Schremp didn't have any interest in becoming a better hockey player.

C)He HAD value...but just because he HAD value, doesn't mean the Oilers would want to trade him. This is directed linked to part B. The Oilers let him develop in the minors. After the first season, why would they trade him? Just...because? Answer me that. Ok, so after the second season, he had a great AHL season...but again, why trade him? Just because he has value? The Oilers needed offensive talent and Schremp was looking like he was going to grow into that role. Lastly, his third season came and his skills were being duplicated by more able bodied players. Who in their right mind would blame 7 goals in AAA hockey to be the fault of the Oilers?

In the span of one season he went to a player that the Oilers have no reason to trade to a player that they could not trade.

Again, not that simple.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 07:05 PM
  #331
Senor Catface
Registered User
 
Senor Catface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Nepal
Posts: 6,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
So can we quote you on that the next time Oilers fans go on rampage about how Burke got nothing for Bryzgalov?
Please don't reply to me with something as asinine at this.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 07:05 PM
  #332
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 37,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew SR Cowie View Post
A) Schremp was not a bad pick. You take the uber-talented player at 25 no matter. what...glaring holes or not. If the situation came up, they would do it again. If you want some perspective of what people thought Schremp would go in the draft, check out this board's history.

B)How? He didn't have any defensive game and it really showed and he was a poor skater so they wanted to be patient and let him do that in the minors. He had a very average year his first year, a great second year, and a putrid year the third. What exactly cries out developing him poorly? Some players take time to develop, and the Oilers tried it with Schremp but Schremp didn't have any interest in becoming a better hockey player.

C)He HAD value...but just because he HAD value, doesn't mean the Oilers would want to trade him. This is directed linked to part B. The Oilers let him develop in the minors. After the first season, why would they trade him? Just...because? Answer me that. Ok, so after the second season, he had a great AHL season...but again, why trade him? Just because he has value? The Oilers needed offensive talent and Schremp was looking like he was going to grow into that role. Lastly, his third season came and his skills were being duplicated by more able bodied players. Who in their right mind would blame 7 goals in AAA hockey to be the fault of the Oilers?

In the span of one season he went to a player that the Oilers have no reason to trade to a player that they could not trade.

Again, not that simple.

Spot on in your analysis.

Good post.

__________________
Man, do I ever miss Oleg Kvasha. If Oleg was here, everything would be OK.
Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 08:10 PM
  #333
kasper11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 6,751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post
I'm a Schremp fan and it sucks to see him go, but the worst thing about it is that:

1) Tambellini KNEW the Isles were interested and couldn't make a deal to move him there
2) Tambellini placed Schremp on waivers KNOWING the Isles wanted him and would have the first shot

I can't believe he couldn't have gotten anything for him from NYI.
How interested were the Isles? Interested enough to give something up, or just interested enough to take a flier on waivers? There is a big difference, and I would guess it is the latter. I am pretty sure that if Tambellini could have gotten something for Schremp he would have. It isn't like this move was at the last minute and he was backed into a corner. I would bet he worked the phones pretty hard before the move.

kasper11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 08:46 PM
  #334
boredmale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 23,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post
I can't believe he couldn't have gotten anything for him from NYI.
Maybe not from the Islanders, but you think he would have offered him around the league to see what he could get. Team X might say hey we will give you a 5th, Team Y might say we'll up that to a 4th and Team Z trades there marginal on the bubble prospect

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 10:12 PM
  #335
nabob
Hall for captain
 
nabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HF boards
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
So can we quote you on that the next time Oilers fans go on rampage about how Burke got nothing for Bryzgalov?
When was the last time anyone talked about that. Schremp does not = Bryzgalov

Schremp could not make the Oilers out of training camp in 4 tries, so he had to be put on waivers to be sent down to the AHL agin where he scored 7 goals last season. His time was done in Edmonton

Bryzgalov, a NHL calibre starting goalie was given top Pheonix because ... Burke is a nice guy?

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 10:15 PM
  #336
nabob
Hall for captain
 
nabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HF boards
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Maybe not from the Islanders, but you think he would have offered him around the league to see what he could get. Team X might say hey we will give you a 5th, Team Y might say we'll up that to a 4th and Team Z trades there marginal on the bubble prospect
I am sure that was done. There are not too many teams lining u pfor players who score 7 goals in the AHL and cant play in their own end of the ice.

That said I wish him nothing but good luck in NY

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 10:19 PM
  #337
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Maybe not from the Islanders, but you think he would have offered him around the league to see what he could get. Team X might say hey we will give you a 5th, Team Y might say we'll up that to a 4th and Team Z trades there marginal on the bubble prospect
At the end of the day, no one is sweating over a 4th or a 5th and I don't think anyone could care less. Could have got a 5th yeah well, could have picked up that penny off the ground too.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 10:19 PM
  #338
Sharks Fan
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1
vCash: 500
First let me say, that I am a Rob Schremp fan. As someone who watched him play here in London for 3 years, met him and have continued to watch him bounce around the AHL, I am really happy that the Islanders have picked him up.
Where do I start? In looking back at Robbie's career here in London, it's hard to believe that he hasn't prospered thus far in the league. Do I blame Edmonton?
The first year in pro hockey he played for the Pittsburgh minor league team. For the past two seasons he has played for one of the worst teams in the AHL. What would you all be saying if Rob had been playing in Bridgeport, Hershey, or Manitoba last year? How do you all dump on a guy, that statistically, topped other recent London Knights like Corey Perry, Patrick Kane, David Bolland and John Tavares. Another recent London Knight graduate Steve Mason has done pretty well for himself lately as well in the NHL. Perry has already won a cup, Kane and Bolland came close and Tavares should do very well. Why is it that Schremp and now Sam Gagnier have gone downhill in there progress since leaving the Knights with Edmonton? I guess I do blame Edmonton!
This week, the Leafs sent Nazem Kadri this years 7th overall draft pick back to the Knights saying that building on the 70 points he got last year will make him a superstar down the road. In reality, Kadri made the team. The Leafs are worried that he'll get hurt. The last year Schremp was with the Knights he got 145 points and set a team record by adding another 47 points in the playoffs.
I don't see Kadri coming remotely close to Schremps numbers this year.
It is my hope, that somebody in the Islanders organization will actually coach Robbie this year and give him a chance to prove himself in the league along the lines of what happened with Corey Perry. He's improved his skating, as well as his defensive play and he doesn't need to be looking over his shoulder every shift thinking that if he makes a mistake he'll be sent down. Had Rob Schremp been drafted by Anaheim and been able to play on a line with Perry like he did here in London, none of you would be speaking negatively towards him and we wouldn't be having this discussion. Good luck in Long Island Robbie, London is behind you!!

Sharks Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 10:28 PM
  #339
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks Fan View Post
First let me say, that I am a Rob Schremp fan. As someone who watched him play here in London for 3 years, met him and have continued to watch him bounce around the AHL, I am really happy that the Islanders have picked him up.
Where do I start? In looking back at Robbie's career here in London, it's hard to believe that he hasn't prospered thus far in the league. Do I blame Edmonton?
The first year in pro hockey he played for the Pittsburgh minor league team. For the past two seasons he has played for one of the worst teams in the AHL. What would you all be saying if Rob had been playing in Bridgeport, Hershey, or Manitoba last year? How do you all dump on a guy, that statistically, topped other recent London Knights like Corey Perry, Patrick Kane, David Bolland and John Tavares. Another recent London Knight graduate Steve Mason has done pretty well for himself lately as well in the NHL. Perry has already won a cup, Kane and Bolland came close and Tavares should do very well. Why is it that Schremp and now Sam Gagnier have gone downhill in there progress since leaving the Knights with Edmonton? I guess I do blame Edmonton!
This week, the Leafs sent Nazem Kadri this years 7th overall draft pick back to the Knights saying that building on the 70 points he got last year will make him a superstar down the road. In reality, Kadri made the team. The Leafs are worried that he'll get hurt. The last year Schremp was with the Knights he got 145 points and set a team record by adding another 47 points in the playoffs.
I don't see Kadri coming remotely close to Schremps numbers this year.
It is my hope, that somebody in the Islanders organization will actually coach Robbie this year and give him a chance to prove himself in the league along the lines of what happened with Corey Perry. He's improved his skating, as well as his defensive play and he doesn't need to be looking over his shoulder every shift thinking that if he makes a mistake he'll be sent down. Had Rob Schremp been drafted by Anaheim and been able to play on a line with Perry like he did here in London, none of you would be speaking negatively towards him and we wouldn't be having this discussion. Good luck in Long Island Robbie, London is behind you!!
BBO is that you?

I digress. We've all heard this before. You can be a Schremp apologist all you want but the fact remains he was the one that screwed up his career. Oh poor Robbie, playing on a crappy AHL team. Is it too much to ask for the man to be given a championship now and then? What's wrong with taking a page from the Hossa Book once and a while? Who cares if he was a non-factor for his team! Real superstars don't make the magic happen all by themselves (Someone get a memo over to Ovechkin; He's doing it wrong aka not playing "Rob Schremp Hockey").

The guy wants his career handed to him on a silver platter. He thinks he's a superstar who can glide around the neutral zone waiting for a breakaway pass so he can do some more lacrosse moves.

But yeah, blame Edmonton. Then blame the Islanders. And whoever else ends up with this primadonna.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 10:38 PM
  #340
Antidote
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Scotland
Posts: 2,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
BBO is that you?

I digress. We've all heard this before. You can be a Schremp apologist all you want but the fact remains he was the one that screwed up his career. Oh poor Robbie, playing on a crappy AHL team. Is it too much to ask for the man to be given a championship now and then? What's wrong with taking a page from the Hossa Book once and a while? Who cares if he was a non-factor for his team! Real superstars don't make the magic happen all by themselves (Someone get a memo over to Ovechkin; He's doing it wrong aka not playing "Rob Schremp Hockey").

The guy wants his career handed to him on a silver platter. He thinks he's a superstar who can glide around the neutral zone waiting for a breakaway pass so he can do some more lacrosse moves.

But yeah, blame Edmonton. Then blame the Islanders. And whoever else ends up with this primadonna.
He's gone - you don't have to do this anymore!

Antidote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 11:21 PM
  #341
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club
 
I Hate Chris Butler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,312
vCash: 50
Rob ****in' Schremp is now an Islander and ****.

(I'm not sure if I have his language down yet)

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 12:09 AM
  #342
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 27,978
vCash: 500
Soooo many people (myself included) called this Schremp being waived and picked up by the Islanders long ago.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 04:58 AM
  #343
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is
 
Poignant Discussion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Gatineau, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,757
vCash: 1400
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
People are gloating over calling a waiver claim? SERIOUSLY? Just when I thought HF couldn't get any more petty some people keep finding new ways to surprise me.

Decent gamble for the Isles. Low risk-high reward type move since, considering he's on a two-way, if he doesn't work they can just send him to the AHL and be done with him after the season if someone else doesn't take a gamble on Schremp.



Defense? What's that? I don't see it as a stat category for my fantasy leagues so it must not be all that relevant to the sport.
Just perfect

Poignant Discussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 08:13 AM
  #344
Chardo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 1,753
vCash: 500
I just have to wonder about this kid. He allegedly has lots of talent, but despite a cheap contract, he was cut by a mediocre team. Why? The fact that no other team was even willing to trade a low draft pick or a swap of one of their own disappointing prospects is very telling. There are some very shrewd GM's and scouts in the NHL. Gotta believe someone would be willing to trade some spare parts if this kid was any good. Despite the opportunity, I will be surprised if he has any impact with the Islanders. I hope I'm wrong.

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 09:45 AM
  #345
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 37,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
I just have to wonder about this kid. He allegedly has lots of talent, but despite a cheap contract, he was cut by a mediocre team. Why? The fact that no other team was even willing to trade a low draft pick or a swap of one of their own disappointing prospects is very telling. There are some very shrewd GM's and scouts in the NHL. Gotta believe someone would be willing to trade some spare parts if this kid was any good. Despite the opportunity, I will be surprised if he has any impact with the Islanders. I hope I'm wrong.
Sadly, Chardo, I don't think you are wrong.

However, keep in mind that the Isles are already starting the season banged up. Their center ice corps of four likely starters (Weight, Tavares, Bailey, and Nielsen) is now down to two. Bergenheim is day-to-day and Okposo is coming off a minor concusion. So, like it or not, the Isles had roster room in the last few days that they didn't anticipate. And, a guy on a two-way, even a guy as limited as Schremp, is an OK solution.

Personally, I am way tired of junk fill-ins like this and would rather give the icetime to some digger insteat. But, it is what it is....

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 10:09 AM
  #346
JustinCider
Registered User
 
JustinCider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Earth
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
I can't say I agree with you DM, nor would many Oil fans considering we had very little control over his AHL playing time in his first pro season because we shared an AHL franchise with the Pens (Wilkes-Barre). And that team was primarily Penguins prospects and operated with them as the centerpiece. I wouldn't call that quality development.

Either way, I hope he succeeds as an Islander, but I wasn't too impressed with his play in the ex game vs TBay. He tries too much one on one stuff without the separation speed that the guys who succeed one on one have. Either way, at worst he cracks your team's top ten in terms of skill. That's gotta be worth 2nd unit PP and 3-5mins of ES on the 4th line.
are you my dad?

JustinCider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 11:41 AM
  #347
Vic Rattlehead*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: St-Hubert, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,790
vCash: 500
Jeez, reading this thread you would think that Schremp is a disease-ridden psychopath.

The truth (something hard to decipher aroud here) is that Schremp will be playing for Gordon, the same coach that knows how to get the best out of prospects. I don't know how well it's working with the Isles, but Gordon was the perfect coach for developing prospects when he worked for the B's minor league franchise. I wouldn't be surprised to see Godron get the best he can out of Schremp this season.

Then again, he can bust-out for another franchise and toil in the AHL for the rest of his career.

Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 12:01 PM
  #348
Chardo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 1,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Rattlehead View Post
Jeez, reading this thread you would think that Schremp is a disease-ridden psychopath.

The truth (something hard to decipher aroud here) is that Schremp will be playing for Gordon, the same coach that knows how to get the best out of prospects. I don't know how well it's working with the Isles, but Gordon was the perfect coach for developing prospects when he worked for the B's minor league franchise. I wouldn't be surprised to see Godron get the best he can out of Schremp this season.

Then again, he can bust-out for another franchise and toil in the AHL for the rest of his career.
I'm still waiting to see this, btw.

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 12:17 PM
  #349
Biggsy
Registered User
 
Biggsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Rutland/Kelowna
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,469
vCash: 500
Well this should be a nice change of scenery for him. Maybe he will actually stick with the Isl's full time?

Biggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.