HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rob Schremp claimed by Islanders

Old
09-28-2009, 01:18 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
I'd be surprised if someone didn't at least take a chance on him. He's got such immense talent that it's at least worth taking a chance. Maybe it works out maybe it doesn't but he'll definitely get picked up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
Very ignorant post.
Yes, Schremp needs to work on a lot of things with his game.

Old
09-28-2009, 01:25 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoyaho View Post
The Oilers ruined him
he dropped from being a top 7 pick to 28 for a reason

the problems started long before the oilers got him

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 01:41 AM
sivert

He needs to go to KHL for a year or two. Larger rinks and skill-oriented game style can benefit him.

sivert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 01:44 AM
dumpnchase

He won't be claimed, he was passed on by most teams in the entry draft and he had potential back then. Maybe he'll realize he needs to improve his game and not blame everyone else for his failure to stick in the NHL, after all 29 teams pass on him.

dumpnchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 01:45 AM
Geese_Howard*

Officially a bust? Some where McTavish is grinning with a "I told you" face

Geese_Howard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 02:06 AM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpnchase View Post
He won't be claimed, he was passed on by most teams in the entry draft and he had potential back then. Maybe he'll realize he needs to improve his game and not blame everyone else for his failure to stick in the NHL, after all 29 teams pass on him.
wtf are you talking about? Where or when did he blame his failure on anyone but himself? You have little clue as to what you're talking about.

Last edited by Vomiting Kermit*: 09-28-2009 at 02:30 AM.
Vomiting Kermit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 02:06 AM
Copperhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by hekic42 View Post
I should go dig up all those posts from Edmonton fans about how he would have a better career than Wolski and how he is more talented.
I'm sure everyone has made a claim about one player or another that turned out to be completely wrong so that would be a pretty silly thing to do.

As always I hope Robbie has success in his next opportunity, wherever it may be (only not against the Oilers in the SCF four years from now).

Copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 02:32 AM
EucaLEAFtys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post

That being said, I could see Burke claiming him because:

1) He's a former 1st round pick
2) Leafs could use more offense
3) He's American
4) He's an Oiler (and I suspect Burke still wants revenge for the Penner offer sheet)
Really?

1) The Leafs have Tlusty (who is also a former 1st rndr) who is probably a better player than Schremp and will not likely make the big club. They also have Bozak, Hanson, and others who are likely better than Schremp and will likely also not make the big club. This should tell you that there is no room on the Leafs for Schremp since they don't have the space for their own (better) prospects.

2) The Leafs have a good amount of offence as it is, and they'll have more when Kessel starts playing in mid-November. Both Wilson and Burke want players who can play in all sorts of situations, which is something that Schremp ismply cannot do. Therefore, he is useless to the Leafs.

3) The fact that Schremp is American has no basis for discussion here. Schremp is clearly NOT an NHL-caliber player which IS the point of this discussion. Until he is able to "put it all together", or retires from playing hockey altogether, Rob Schremp will remain a career AHL'er. Brian Burke doesn't give a damn what a player's mationality is; all he cares about is if the player in question has all of the necessary skills and character traits that he looks for when he's building his team. It is painfully clear that Rob Schremp is lacking when it comes to Burke's "player criteria".

4) I fail to see how having Burke claiming Schremp off waivers constitutes being an "act of revenge" against the Oilers (Kevin Lowe) for the Penner offer-sheet business as this is a totally different situation.

So, to sum up, there is absolutely no reason for the Leafs to claim Schremp off waivers.

EDIT: The Leafs also don't really have the cap-space for Schremp either. What little they have left needs to be saved for injury call-up purposes during the season, not wasting it on players they don't need nor want.

EucaLEAFtys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 02:40 AM
ChaoticOrange

Is your team offensively inept? Does it have a lousy powerplay? Not expecting much aside from opportunistic offence? Do we have a player for you!

I'm betting he gets picked up. Give him sheltered minutes with defensively responsible linemates and ample powerplay time, he'll get you 40-50 points.

ChaoticOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 02:43 AM
Wario Lemieux*

No, this doesn't surprise me. Yes, he will be picked up, probably not by Burke though.

Wario Lemieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 03:48 AM
Coach John McGuirk
ヽ(。_)ノ

I'd like to see the Pens grab him up, but only if he takes a two-way deal and for a very low price.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 03:55 AM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mighty Boosh View Post
I'd like to see the Pens grab him up, but only if he takes a two-way deal and for a very low price.
If you pick someone up on waivers, you get the contract that he is signed to.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 04:12 AM
deanosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post
4) He's an Oiler (and I suspect Burke still wants revenge for the Penner offer sheet)
Burke has a Stanley Cup.
Penner's done **** all since signing in Edmonton.... why would he seek revenge when he's still getting last laught in that?

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 04:16 AM
dumpnchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studly Wonderbomb View Post
wtf are you talking about? Where or when did he blame his failure on anyone but himself? You have little clue as to what you're talking about.
He just recently said he wasn't given a fair chance by Craig MacTavish.

"I don't know if it was personal or not. Who knows? It's up to Craig to say. Obviously there was something he didn't like in me, so that's why I spent the last three years in the minors. That's just how it goes. I didn't have that much time to get to know him, it's not like we're buddies or anything. I was there for four years for a month in training camp. You don't really build with a coach in a month, so I don't know him that well. I've had a few dinners with him after getting sent down last year. I don't know if it's personality-wise -- I just think it was more he didn't like what he saw in my game," Schremp said.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...with_edmonton/

Read that entire article and there is plenty of whining against Craig MacTavish.

That article clearly says to me he believed that he should have been on the team and put the blame on Craig MacTavish. That bit about he didn't like my game is b.s., every other thing there says he thinks he didn't make it because Craig MacTavish treated him unfairly.

Before telling someone else that he has no clue about what he is talking make sure you know what you are talking about.

dumpnchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 04:22 AM
bigdinc78

Send a message via MSN to bigdinc78
Quote:
Originally Posted by hekic42 View Post
I should go dig up all those posts from Edmonton fans about how he would have a better career than Wolski and how he is more talented.
We should go dig up quotes from Avs fans who thought Gilbert for Salo was a good trade...

Everything is clearer in hindsight.

bigdinc78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 04:26 AM
bigdinc78

Send a message via MSN to bigdinc78
Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
Burke has a Stanley Cup.
Penner's done **** all since signing in Edmonton.... why would he seek revenge when he's still getting last laught in that?
He was one of our best forwards last year, no one ever claimed Penner was an allstar?

bigdinc78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 04:29 AM
Coach John McGuirk
ヽ(。_)ノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
If you pick someone up on waivers, you get the contract that he is signed to.
Doh. Thanks.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 04:54 AM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpnchase View Post
He just recently said he wasn't given a fair chance by Craig MacTavish.

"I don't know if it was personal or not. Who knows? It's up to Craig to say. Obviously there was something he didn't like in me, so that's why I spent the last three years in the minors. That's just how it goes. I didn't have that much time to get to know him, it's not like we're buddies or anything. I was there for four years for a month in training camp. You don't really build with a coach in a month, so I don't know him that well. I've had a few dinners with him after getting sent down last year. I don't know if it's personality-wise -- I just think it was more he didn't like what he saw in my game," Schremp said.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...with_edmonton/

Read that entire article and there is plenty of whining against Craig MacTavish.

That article clearly says to me he believed that he should have been on the team and put the blame on Craig MacTavish. That bit about he didn't like my game is b.s., every other thing there says he thinks he didn't make it because Craig MacTavish treated him unfairly.

Before telling someone else that he has no clue about what he is talking make sure you know what you are talking about.
I have read it, maybe you haven't? The only mention from him of MacTavish is the quote you posted and possibly a few sentences at the top regarding a clean slate, though that appears to be him hoping Quinn doesn't/didn't base his initial opinion on what went on with MacTavish. Where is the rest of this "whining"? Schremp is also answering the reporter's question about MacTavish's rant. Why you are surprised or appalled that he talked about the MacT situation is beyond me.

MacTavish didn't like him and/or his game, everyone knows that. But at no point does Schremp say or imply he should have been in the NHL.

Also, I like how you deleted the part of that quote where Schremp says his play in the AHL sucked last season and that was the reason he was never recalled after his intial callup. Anything to help your argument, I guess.

Vomiting Kermit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 05:18 AM
Isles72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckle View Post
7 goals in 69 games for the Springfield Falcons... I won't be shocked if he goes unclaimed.
honestly have only seen the youtube clips and the assorted scouting reports

I'd be a little shocked if the isles claimed him , but very intrigued by the possibilities.

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 05:19 AM
4rde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy-4-50 View Post
One could say they ruined his confidence but in the end he's just not good enough at the NHL level, he's weak along the boards, gets bumped off the puck way too easily and doesn't even know there's four corners you can go into to get a puck. Couple that with weak skating and you have a career minor leaguer.
Sometimes it takes time to learn, that being said i think team like Colorado should pick him up. They are going to tank the upcoming season anyways so might aswell give Schremp a roster spot for full season and see what he can do.

4rde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 05:39 AM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
Very ignorant post.
How is it an ignorant post? Without his offense and trick shots he is a AHL'er, I think Punch's comment was dead on myself

Poignant Discussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 05:43 AM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlusty41 View Post
I know he's a bad fit but, i just really like him still, and i'm sure burke and wilson could make him to become a lot more of an all round player and make him useable on the leafs teams.
Dude Bozak is going down because we have to many NHL forwards, there is no place for a player like Schremp on the team

Poignant Discussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 06:13 AM
GoSensGo765
BELIEVE!

Weird how a guy with so much talent and skill has never been able to crack the NHL even as a third or fourth liner. But maybe that's just the problem, maybe Edmonton had wanted him to be a top 6 guy all these years and he is just not cut out to fit that role. Something is definitely missing from his game, whether it be work ethic, heart or just all around grit to go with the skill.

It's too bad that his time is finally up in Edmonton but after five tough years battling there, maybe it's time for a fresh start for him and see if he can revive things and prove himself. Wouldn't be opposed to seeing Ottawa giving him a shot but likely won't happen.

He'd prob thrive on a team like Atlanta, much like one Ron Peverly.

GoSensGo765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 06:18 AM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandinho View Post
Did you leave your reading comprehension in the same place as your sense of humor? The key point was that he didn't do enough to mitigate his flaws but you seem to have glossed over that. His skating, his horrid release from the point...those are two critical areas that could have been improved. He was never going to be a Selke winner nor does he have to be, but his foot speed isn't good enough and he isn't even that much of an asset on the powerplay because pro goalies see his slapper coming from a mile away. But he sure could deek real purrrty like in them thurrr shootouts.
You're bringing up reading comprehension? Really?

Sigh... again, this is exactly what I mean. If you focus too hard on deeking "real purrrrty", you're going to miss what has actually happened. You're ignoring the fact that his skating has improved tremendously since he was drafted, for starters. You even mention it as a critical area that could have been improved, when it's improved about as much as could ever be expected. Obviously it's not enough, but just as obvious is the fact that it has nothing to do with "them thurrr shootouts".

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 06:22 AM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poignant Discussion View Post
How is it an ignorant post? Without his offense and trick shots he is a AHL'er, I think Punch's comment was dead on myself
Likely because his "trick shots" (of which I've seen I think 2 in exhibition games) have nothing to do with him as a player. It's a label that doesn't apply.

How exactly is he an NHLer with this offense and these "trick shots"?

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote