HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rob Schremp claimed by Islanders

Old
09-28-2009, 06:39 AM
missinthejets

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza19 View Post
Weird how a guy with so much talent and skill has never been able to crack the NHL even as a third or fourth liner. But maybe that's just the problem, maybe Edmonton had wanted him to be a top 6 guy all these years and he is just not cut out to fit that role. Something is definitely missing from his game, whether it be work ethic, heart or just all around grit to go with the skill.

It's too bad that his time is finally up in Edmonton but after five tough years battling there, maybe it's time for a fresh start for him and see if he can revive things and prove himself. Wouldn't be opposed to seeing Ottawa giving him a shot but likely won't happen.

He'd prob thrive on a team like Atlanta, much like one Ron Peverly.
Schremps problem in Edmonton was that there were too many prospects in a similar situation to him. Good enough to maybe eke out a role somewhere but some of those guys offered things schremp didn't, whether it was size, more defensive play or whatever. Then Gagner Cogliano and Nilsson all passed him as prospects and he really had no chance, too many young small players already for the oilers to break in no room to get schremp in there. Now it appears there are even more prospects ahead of him in Edmonton with Eberle having a good showing in camp. He's basically just been passed by others. I don't think he's a total write off yet, not like he's THAT old and he does have some skills that can translate, he just needs to work on some things and maybe some team can get him to do that better than Edmonton did. Hell maybe a change of scenery gets him motivated.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 06:59 AM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

so much skill

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 07:41 AM
Habitant le colon

Mtl should Claim him and then try to trade for Kane in chicago ... then Shremp Sergei and Kane could play together!!! ( just kiding )

Habitant le colon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 08:11 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Someone should pick him up.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 08:36 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
I remember the days when he got recalled, had a great 3-assist game, and we had posts upon posts, threads upon threads of "there is no way they can send him back now."

I'd still take a shot on him though.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 08:36 AM
Phaedrus

Rob Schremp turned a lot of people off with a recent comment about needing to get back to playing "Rob Schremp Hockey". I think the comment is telling of the player. If a team can use a dose of "Rob Schremp Hockey" they can claim him and add this enigmatic skill set to their roster. Perhaps a southern U.S. team can add him, and have him dangle during intermissions... it would probably appeal to crowds already familiar with Basketball .

I do not doubt that someone will claim him... its worth the risk. What I do doubt is that he will stick in the NHL.

Phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 08:41 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoyaho View Post
The Oilers ruined him
Really? What exactly did he do to earn a spot on the team? Schremp has nobody to blame but himself

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 08:43 AM
Flyersguru

I would keep an eye on the Flyers with this one....Homer has had a lot of interest in him in the past....

Flyersguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 08:44 AM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex28 View Post
Kessel also cost 2 1sts and a 2nd, Schremp would be free.

At worst, he gets waived.

At best, he finds his niche as a setup man the Leafs aren't exactly teeming with.
youve been playing too much video hockey....

seriously, what have you seen from Schremp to think he is not only an NHL player but one who will produce points?

also....so you bring in some kid, who cant seem to prove himself as a legit NHL player...and you give him quality ice time over players that have proven they can play in the NHL

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 08:48 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Really? What exactly did he do to earn a spot on the team? Schremp has nobody to blame but himself
He didn't exactly have a lot to play with in the AHL, but he was given tons of minutes over a few years and it's amounted to nothing. So I agree.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 08:57 AM
Antidote

Schremp's strengths are hand/eye coordination, quick stickhandling and puck distribution and ridiculous passing skills - which make him effective on the PP. Off ice, his training/diet regimen is finally where it needs to be and he's somehow remained confident in himself despite the series of camp cuts. He's also unafraid to give thoughtful and candid press interviews - you won't hear him saying "110%".

On the downside, his skating still needs work. It's evolved from a very awkward, ineffective wide stance style to something more conventional but can still look laboured. His speed has improved from off-season leg work but he probably needs to go through a Tiger Woods swing change process to be a more fluid skater.

His other challenge is that he hasn't played enough at the NHL level for the game to mentally slow down for him. This is his real Catch-22 - he probably needs the 20-30 games that most players need for that to happen but hasn't been able yet to force an opportunity to do that. IMO this translates into an inability to create space on his own through positioning, stickhandling skills, options when he crosses the blueline etc. - and he needs the space to be effective.

I'd like to see him get an NHL chance somewhere just because I take no joy from seeing any prospect with great promise remain unfulfilled. As others have suggested, though, he may have to go to international ice to do that.

Antidote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 08:58 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersguru View Post
I would keep an eye on the Flyers with this one....Homer has had a lot of interest in him in the past....
He did? When?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 09:00 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch Imlach View Post
Is there a hockey version of the Harlem Globetrotters out there?
Yes.

http://www.nyblades.com/index.htm

Why do I know this?!?!?

As for Schremp, what's the harm in a team picking him up to play in the AHL? He's on the last year of his ELC, if it doesn't work out there, send him to the ECHL and let him walk at season's end.

Felonious Python is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 09:02 AM
Pascal

So this hopefully makes some people realize that skill = NHL player. It takes a lot more than that and it gives you a bigger respect for those skilled guys who do produce constantly in the league.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 09:03 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
He didn't exactly have a lot to play with in the AHL, but he was given tons of minutes over a few years and it's amounted to nothing. So I agree.
In all fairness to Schremp, his minutes in the AHL amounted to nothing last year. His first two years in the league he scored 53 points in 69 games and 76 points in 78 games. Solid numbers for his first two years as a pro.

The problem is the major regression last season.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 09:27 AM
deanmoriarty

Did anyone really think that this guy, with tats like this and his talk of playing "Rob Schremp hockey", has the mental maturity and strength to play in the NHL?

He'll be an American league HOF'er

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 09:29 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
He'll be an Islander, IMO.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 09:29 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by hekic42 View Post
I should go dig up all those posts from Edmonton fans about how he would have a better career than Wolski and how he is more talented.
Please do...Having said that the Avs should pick him up...theres really no risk in doing so.

The Kingslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 09:37 AM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Yes.

http://www.nyblades.com/index.htm

Why do I know this?!?!?

As for Schremp, what's the harm in a team picking him up to play in the AHL? He's on the last year of his ELC, if it doesn't work out there, send him to the ECHL and let him walk at season's end.
If a team claims him he has to stay up in the NHL or the Oilers get first crack at him when they ntry to send him back down. His ELC is over, as he just resigned a one year deal

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 09:39 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpnchase View Post
He just recently said he wasn't given a fair chance by Craig MacTavish.

"I don't know if it was personal or not. Who knows? It's up to Craig to say. Obviously there was something he didn't like in me, so that's why I spent the last three years in the minors. That's just how it goes. I didn't have that much time to get to know him, it's not like we're buddies or anything. I was there for four years for a month in training camp. You don't really build with a coach in a month, so I don't know him that well. I've had a few dinners with him after getting sent down last year. I don't know if it's personality-wise -- I just think it was more he didn't like what he saw in my game," Schremp said.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...with_edmonton/

Read that entire article and there is plenty of whining against Craig MacTavish.

That article clearly says to me he believed that he should have been on the team and put the blame on Craig MacTavish. That bit about he didn't like my game is b.s., every other thing there says he thinks he didn't make it because Craig MacTavish treated him unfairly.

Before telling someone else that he has no clue about what he is talking make sure you know what you are talking about.
I had the EXACT same response to that article. RS never figured it out, and I honestly don't think he will. In his mind, it wasn't about him, it was about how the big mean coach didn't like him, and held him back. I don't think it ever crossed his mind that the Oilers had a better chance to win games with Liam Reddox in the line-up than Robbie Shremp.

I think this just shows how insanely huge the hype machine is now. The growth of the internet puts more information in fans hands earlier, and you got this huge groundswell of hype about a 16 YO kid. By the time he's 18, the luster has worn off to the point where Shremp fell 20 some spots in the draft. Seems like the same thing happened with Espisito, so it'll be interesting to see if that turns out the same way.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 09:46 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
Likely because his "trick shots" (of which I've seen I think 2 in exhibition games) have nothing to do with him as a player. It's a label that doesn't apply.

How exactly is he an NHLer with this offense and these "trick shots"?
is this rob schremps mom? i dont get the rude comebacks for anyone who doesnt agree with your viewpoint. Mod or not, thats certainly not the way to treat fellow posters. if people feel robbie schremp is a one dimensional forward who doesnt have the speed or grit to stick in the nhl, then they can voice their opinion. clearly he doesnt bc people dont just waive 23 yr olds who have obvious offensive skill. hence the globetrotter comparison. they dont play defense, neither does rob schremp. if he did, hed have a spot on a team somewhere, not be on the waiver wire

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 09:53 AM
middletoe
Why am I me?

My guess is that Robbie is pumped at being put on waivers.

middletoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 10:12 AM
Brandinho

Send a message via AIM to Brandinho Send a message via Skype™ to Brandinho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
You're bringing up reading comprehension? Really?

Sigh... again, this is exactly what I mean. If you focus too hard on deeking "real purrrrty", you're going to miss what has actually happened. You're ignoring the fact that his skating has improved tremendously since he was drafted, for starters. You even mention it as a critical area that could have been improved, when it's improved about as much as could ever be expected. Obviously it's not enough, but just as obvious is the fact that it has nothing to do with "them thurrr shootouts".
Have you even seen him play? Because I have, multiple times, in both the AHL and during his brief NHL stint. His skating improved, although not nearly to the extent you seem to be implying, but it still isn't nearly up to NHL standards. I've seen players make far larger strides than Schremp in terms of turning skating from a deficiency into an asset. He didn't work on it enough. That's hardly the only thing preventing him from being a productive NHL'er, at any rate.

Brandinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 10:15 AM
Antidote

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
is this rob schremps mom? i dont get the rude comebacks for anyone who doesnt agree with your viewpoint. Mod or not, thats certainly not the way to treat fellow posters. if people feel robbie schremp is a one dimensional forward who doesnt have the speed or grit to stick in the nhl, then they can voice their opinion. clearly he doesnt bc people dont just waive 23 yr olds who have obvious offensive skill. hence the globetrotter comparison. they dont play defense, neither does rob schremp. if he did, hed have a spot on a team somewhere, not be on the waiver wire
You're obviously unfamiliar with the Oiler HF board, where there is a sub culture of fans called Microcephalic Schremp Haters. They were initially few in number but over time, through diligent practice, they learned to type his name correctly and then there was no stopping them.

They're seemingly decent, God-fearing folks who equally love their country, family and pick-up trucks and only beat their dog when they feel like it. They are united in their phobic desire to see Schremp fail as an Oiler prospect and their ability to post and repost their ready arsenal of stock phrases and photos rivals the N.R.A. in volume and efficiency and their ruthlessness lies somewhere between the Catholic Church and the U.S. Marine Corps.

With Schremp gone, they are now likely to transfer their disallegiance to some as yet undetermined Oiler prospect - some young man who is just doing the best he can to chase his lifelong dream. Speaking as a member of another fringe board group - the Macrocephalic Schremp Lovers - I'd warn future Oiler prospects that they should be very afraid.

Antidote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 10:19 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

I remember a poll thread of who will be better, Parise or Schremp. I guess it's not always about talent.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote