HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Wings have it all wrong

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-28-2009, 01:18 AM
  #1
GT500x
Im OK where we're at
 
GT500x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: My comfort zone
Country: United States
Posts: 2,663
vCash: 500
The Wings have it all wrong

Someone needs to let the Wing's management know NOW

This is the blueprint for success...

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_645205.html

Quote:
Their ascendancy from finishing dead last to hoisting the Stanley Cup spanned only five years, a meteoric rise that typically would serve the rest of the NHL as a formula to follow.

If only it were that simple.

The Penguins are an amalgam of failure and fortune, turning four losing seasons and a lockout lottery into five consecutive top-five draft picks. They hit jackpot in back-to-back years, with perhaps the greatest consolation prize in hockey history in 2004 second overall pick Evgeni Malkin and a prospect with such stature that thousands of season tickets were sold within hours of his selection as the top overall pick in 2005, Sidney Crosby.

Sometimes, it takes failure to find fortune

... Although there does seem to be a mixed message in this article, this has to be the blueprint to success!


edit:
Quote:
said agent Paul Krepelka, who represents former Penguins defenseman Ryan Whitney and current Penguins center Jordan Staal. "It's a successful blueprint. Having said that, it's a little easier to follow that blueprint when your core players are some of the best on the planet."
I'm sorry, I know its petty, but I find this article annoying.

GT500x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 01:22 AM
  #2
nibbles
Registered User
 
nibbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: WAL MART
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,399
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to nibbles
Why be good every year? When you can suck for a few years and get good then?

That's kinda what I'm getting from this..

nibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 01:32 AM
  #3
Frozen Fiend
DOUBLE D
 
Frozen Fiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kalamazoo
Country: United States
Posts: 4,679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nibbles View Post
Why be good every year? When you can suck for a few years and get good then?

That's kinda what I'm getting from this..
Well, the Red Wings are the only team that have managed to be good every year... other teams simply fall back into mediocrity because there core players get old/worse, and the team is unable to replace them.

Pittsburghs formula works, just not as well as ours. (oh, and ours is unique)

Frozen Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 01:38 AM
  #4
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please
 
ArGarBarGar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 26,829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nibbles View Post
Why be good every year? When you can suck for a few years and get good then?

That's kinda what I'm getting from this..
Not really.

Quote:
Former Tampa Bay general manager Jay Feaster, now an NHL analyst for The Hockey News and TSN, calls it a "sour grapes" approach for other organizations to suggest the Penguins are only so good because they were first so bad. "How many top-five picks have Atlanta, Columbus, Florida and Ottawa had?" Feaster said. "You can have those picks, (but) you better make sure you do the right thing with them."

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 01:52 AM
  #5
nibbles
Registered User
 
nibbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: WAL MART
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,399
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to nibbles
^^ That's true.. Atlanta etc just suck at drafting.. Simple as that

nibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 02:10 AM
  #6
nik jr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Congo-Kinshasa
Posts: 10,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nibbles View Post
^^ That's true.. Atlanta etc just suck at drafting.. Simple as that
atlanta does not suck at drafting, at least not with their very high picks.

they suck at attracting and keeping players.


malkin, crosby and ovechkin are also a much better than normal 1st or 2nd overall picks.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 02:14 AM
  #7
nibbles
Registered User
 
nibbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: WAL MART
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,399
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to nibbles
Atlanta doesn't suck at drafting?

Explain

nibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 02:17 AM
  #8
FabricDetails
Registered User
 
FabricDetails's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post
malkin, crosby and ovechkin are also a much better than normal 1st or 2nd overall picks.
Yeah seriously. Hmm... Malkin or Ovechkin? Gee, I don't want to pick the wrong player.

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 02:18 AM
  #9
FabricDetails
Registered User
 
FabricDetails's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nibbles View Post
Atlanta doesn't suck at drafting?

Explain
He'll probably cite this:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/nhl_org...kings/?start=6

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 02:26 AM
  #10
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 34,644
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Hey guys. I'm not here to start trouble or defend the Pens left/right but I really hope you do look at the whole picture before saying the Penguins tanked and that's the reason for our success or that this was anywhere near an "easy blueprint." This article was terrible and doesn't even begin to touch on how much trouble we went through just to get a bit lucky.

From 1988 - 2002 we only missed the playoffs one time. We actually have tried to emulate the success from teams like the Red Wings and tried to be consistent winners but unfortunately fell on awful times. We had a four year stretch that would take weeks to talk about and extends from poor management, bankruptcy, losing our players because we simply could not even come close to paying them ...to having to battle for a new arena just to keep our team in Pittsburgh. I can assure you this wasn't some easy blueprint and I guarantee you no organization/fanbase wants to follow our path.

I won't say we didn't get very lucky along the way, because we have. We even got lucky that Mario was such a great guy and saved our team twice. The hockey gods have been more than giving to our organization but I can tell you those 4 years were absolute hell. We almost lost our hockey team. That's nothing any fan base wants to go through and I don't know why the article didn't touch on some of those things. It was simply poor writing.

To sum it up, I love our rivalry and hope we meet in the finals for another 5 consecutive years. I have the utmost respect for the Red Wings organization and hope you take a closer look into the whole situation other than a terrible article written by someone who holds no worth to the hockey media. Gorman has always stirred the pot just to get someone to read his terrible articles. Hell, he was the one that brought up the handshake incident 2 full months after it happened. The guy is pathetic.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 02:57 AM
  #11
nik jr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Congo-Kinshasa
Posts: 10,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nibbles View Post
Atlanta doesn't suck at drafting?

Explain
they draft good players (kovalchuk, heatley, lehtonen, pavelec, slater, enstrom, little, bogosian, coburn, exelby).

but they may have the worst management in the NHL. they struggle to attract and keep good players and coaches. they have a culture of losing as much as DRW have a culture of winning.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 04:04 AM
  #12
Drunkspleen
Face of the company
 
Drunkspleen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bear Country
Country: Australia
Posts: 2,931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Hell, he was the one that brought up the handshake incident 2 full months after it happened. The guy is pathetic.
lol, I just read that article when you mentioned it.

I like the way he takes the most outrageous thing said by any of the wings, and comments made in the heat of the moment, and presents them as the red wings side of the argument.

somehow these quotes didn't make his article.

Quote:
“I think that’s one thing you should do,” Zetterberg said as the Red Wings cleaned out their lockers for the summer on Monday. “I don’t know why he didn’t do it, it’s disrespectful.”
Quote:
“You know you’re happy and celebrating with your teammates,” Lidstrom said. “But you know the losing team wants to get off the ice too. … Sidney was probably caught up in the emotions and everything.”
what a f***ing hack of a writer.

Drunkspleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 04:05 AM
  #13
Epsilon
#TeamHolland
 
Epsilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 36,763
vCash: 500
It's hilarious when people suggest that the Penguins are a "model" or "blueprint" of how to build a franchise, considering their current success hinges at least partly on their "ability" to a win a 30 team random weighted lottery.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 06:47 AM
  #14
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500x View Post
Someone needs to let the Wing's management know NOW

This is the blueprint for success...

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_645205.html




Sometimes, it takes failure to find fortune
I think the word "sometimes' should give the writer a bit of a break, no?

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 07:25 AM
  #15
VooX
Registered User
 
VooX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,290
vCash: 500
ColePens, although there is no denying that the Pens had some very difficult years off-ice, the fact remains that Pittsburgh now has a history of tanking for draft picks.

You mention other teams have top 5 picks and squander them, but let's put this in perspective. The Pens had 5 consecutive top 5 draft spots culminating in a 1st, 2nd, 1st, and 2nd overall picks in consecutive years. And in some of the deepest drafts for talent ever. Fleury, Staal, Malkin, and Rosby are no-brainer picks for any squad, even Atlanta.

And stepping back further to when I was a kid, the Pens intentionally tanked spectacularly to first get Lemieux, suck for five years (still top-7 draft position), and then tank again to get Jagr. The Penguins' only success comes through tanking.

And then I have to read Pens' fans post all over the net that their team is a model franchise and is a dynasty. It is enough to make me throw up a little in my mouth each time I read such trite.

VooX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 09:05 AM
  #16
Schroedingers Cat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,539
vCash: 500
You can't say the Penguins didn't intentionally tank when they pretty much ran any player who wanted more than 3 million out of town for about 8 years.

Schroedingers Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 10:36 AM
  #17
sarcastro
Registered User
 
sarcastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nibbles View Post
Atlanta doesn't suck at drafting?

Explain
Atlanta just didn't get the memo that you're supposed to suck bad enough to get the 1st pick 10 years in a row, because those guys are 90% guaranteed to be at least very good players. Atlanta has been picking 8th or so every year, where the bust rate is way, way higher.

One of the only times the Thrash had the 1st overall, they took Patrik Stefan. Ouch. Kovalchuk has worked out pretty well though.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 10:52 AM
  #18
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please
 
ArGarBarGar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 26,829
vCash: 500
The Penguins didn't tank.

Come on guys...

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 12:52 PM
  #19
VooX
Registered User
 
VooX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
The Penguins didn't tank.

Come on guys...
Are you too young to remember Lemieux's draft?

How about you provide some explanation for your stance, rather than just saying we are wrong?

VooX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 01:04 PM
  #20
Frozen Fiend
DOUBLE D
 
Frozen Fiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kalamazoo
Country: United States
Posts: 4,679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
It's hilarious when people suggest that the Penguins are a "model" or "blueprint" of how to build a franchise, considering their current success hinges at least partly on their "ability" to a win a 30 team random weighted lottery.
This is the only real problem I have when people call the Penguins a "model for success". I guess I could agree... luck is a model for success.

Pittsburgh just sucked at the right time, and when I say sucked they were down right awful. Imagine if Pittsburgh had Detroits scouting/developing staff/management. My God.

Frozen Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 01:05 PM
  #21
GT500x
Im OK where we're at
 
GT500x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: My comfort zone
Country: United States
Posts: 2,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Hey guys. I'm not here to start trouble or defend the Pens left/right but I really hope you do look at the whole picture before saying the Penguins tanked and that's the reason for our success or that this was anywhere near an "easy blueprint." This article was terrible and doesn't even begin to touch on how much trouble we went through just to get a bit lucky.

From 1988 - 2002 we only missed the playoffs one time. We actually have tried to emulate the success from teams like the Red Wings and tried to be consistent winners but unfortunately fell on awful times. We had a four year stretch that would take weeks to talk about and extends from poor management, bankruptcy, losing our players because we simply could not even come close to paying them ...to having to battle for a new arena just to keep our team in Pittsburgh. I can assure you this wasn't some easy blueprint and I guarantee you no organization/fanbase wants to follow our path.

I won't say we didn't get very lucky along the way, because we have. We even got lucky that Mario was such a great guy and saved our team twice. The hockey gods have been more than giving to our organization but I can tell you those 4 years were absolute hell. We almost lost our hockey team. That's nothing any fan base wants to go through and I don't know why the article didn't touch on some of those things. It was simply poor writing.

To sum it up, I love our rivalry and hope we meet in the finals for another 5 consecutive years. I have the utmost respect for the Red Wings organization and hope you take a closer look into the whole situation other than a terrible article written by someone who holds no worth to the hockey media. Gorman has always stirred the pot just to get someone to read his terrible articles. Hell, he was the one that brought up the handshake incident 2 full months after it happened. The guy is pathetic.
Well, the Penguins Org. shouldn't appologize for the path they took. But at the same time, its hard not to resent the Penguins when a journalist or fan talks about them like their the model organization. This guy probably had Bettman standing over his shoulder when he wrote the article.

This article is embarrassing and I'm not even a Penquins fan.
Perhaps it really is sour grapes. I probably am jealous of the hype teams get when they have the "young stars." It would be nice to have the same media hype and excitement surrounding the Wings.
Posted via Mobile Device

GT500x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 01:07 PM
  #22
DarkReign
Registered User
 
DarkReign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,584
vCash: 500
If the model for success revolves around having the top pick(s) every time a generational talent emerges, there are going to be a lot of unemployed GMs very soon.

I'd love to see how great and enviable Pittsburgh's "blueprint" would be if instead of having the 1st and 2nd pick in the Crosby and Malkin draft years, they instead where picking first in the Tavares and Stamkos draft years.

Yeah...not too great of a plan then, is it?

Whatever, Crosby has his Cup now, the circle is complete, we get it. Now back to being bounced in the second round like youre used to. I dont even like Washington or Philly, but either will beat the Pens this year (especially Washington if they just played some damn defense).

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 01:12 PM
  #23
WhiskeyYourTheDevils
Registered User
 
WhiskeyYourTheDevils's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 8,701
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Ice View Post
Well, the Red Wings are the only team that have managed to be good every year... other teams simply fall back into mediocrity because there core players get old/worse, and the team is unable to replace them.
Devils?

WhiskeyYourTheDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 03:21 PM
  #24
DarkReign
Registered User
 
DarkReign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
Devils?
Eastern Conference....wouldnt know anything about them.

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 03:41 PM
  #25
kuick
Tatar Sauce
 
kuick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Grand Rapids
Country: United States
Posts: 2,715
vCash: 500
Pittsburgh just sucked at the right times.

kuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.