HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Anyone else going to the opener in Pittsburgh?

Old
09-25-2009, 01:24 PM
dtrap

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Anyone else going to the opener in Pittsburgh?

I moved to South Carolina this summer (no more regular trips to MSG ) but I have to go to a wedding in Pittsburgh next weekend, so I grabbed tickets to the game on StubHub.

I was just wondering if anyone else was going and want to tailgate or something like that. Also it would be nice to have someone else there to share the abuse I normally take at the Mellon Arena

Mods - I guess they can just PM me right?

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 01:38 PM
Section311

The last place I want to be is watching them raise their banner

Section311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 01:53 PM
czechmate25

I'll be there! Hopefully Gabby and Lundy ruin their banner night.

czechmate25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 02:00 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
I went to Pittsburgh last year and lets just say I won't be there next week...or any week.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 02:01 PM
dtrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechmate25 View Post
I'll be there! Hopefully Gabby and Lundy ruin their banner night.
Well if you wanna grab a beer or something before the game lemme know. I'll be with my buddy...he's a Pens fan...but I guess I'll let it slide haha.

Actually as a side story...the last time I saw the Rangers play in Pittsburgh was the night Marty Straka scored with 2.2 seconds left in OT. I was in the 10th row right on the goal line where they scored. I have never been told to F-Off more times in my life than on the walk back to the car that night. I was so pumped!

Old
09-25-2009, 02:07 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section311 View Post
The last place I want to be is watching them raise their banner
They should really raise anther banner next to that one with the years '03 '04 '05 and '06 to remind fans just how good their team was and how good their team was at drafting (i.e. they sucked balls, and got gifted a top 2 pick four years in a row, and a top 5 pick five years in a row). When was the last time a team got rewarded so much for doing so little? I can't think of one, but if there is one Paris Hilton must play for it.

Yeah, I'm with Section on this one.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 02:26 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
They should really raise anther banner next to that one with the years '03 '04 '05 and '06 to remind fans just how good their team was and how good their team was at drafting (i.e. they sucked balls, and got gifted a top 2 pick four years in a row, and a top 5 pick five years in a row). When was the last time a team got rewarded so much for doing so little? I can't think of one, but if there is one Paris Hilton must play for it.

The draft is all about rewarding a ton for doing nothing so I'm missing your point.

It's better to stink for a few years and then wins some Cups than to compete every year and win nothing.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 02:40 PM
czechmate25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
Well if you wanna grab a beer or something before the game lemme know. I'll be with my buddy...he's a Pens fan...but I guess I'll let it slide haha.

Actually as a side story...the last time I saw the Rangers play in Pittsburgh was the night Marty Straka scored with 2.2 seconds left in OT. I was in the 10th row right on the goal line where they scored. I have never been told to F-Off more times in my life than on the walk back to the car that night. I was so pumped!

Yeah, definitely. I'll PM you. I'll be with a bunch of Pens fans as well. Actually, I'll be in my friends seats, who is a season ticket holder.

czechmate25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 03:11 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

I might try and grab some tickets, but I'm not sure if I can stand the sight of that banner raising to the rafters.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 03:29 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

NO..But yes on OCT 3rd. Sec 34 Row A. Stop on by...

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 03:31 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Quote:

Good ole uncle Garry...

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 03:52 PM
glees68
la di da di

Send a message via AIM to glees68
I'll be there since I am a Penguins season ticket holder. I am so excited, and I cannot wait.

glees68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 03:54 PM
Pugs35

I'll be there.

I go to Pitt and the bandwagon Pens fans at this school (and all around the city) are just about all I can take. The banner raising will probably make me sick, but hopefully their night is all downhill from there.

Pugs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 04:07 PM
NYR89

I go to school out by Pittsburgh and I'm known as that guy who always wears Rangers stuff. Needless to say I won't be there, but I'll be watching with a bunch of Pens fans so hopefully Gaborik and Hank spoil the night.

NYR89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 06:16 PM
nyrmetros

Go to Primantis and eat good food !

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 07:34 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Do alot of Ranger fans make there way down to Mellon arena?

We tend to invade alot of other stadiums. ie: Colisuem, Rock, Wachovia, TD Gardens, all south east arenas, and also LA and ANA.

One stadium I haven't been too though, is Mellon arena so I dont know what our showing of Ranger fans is. I can say from firsthand experience that there are alot of road Ranger fans at the arenas mentioned above.

BlueShirts88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 08:30 PM
nyrmetros

pitt is an 8 hour drive right ?

Go to Primantis !!

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 06:37 AM
Sour Shoes
lol u mad cam?

Quote:

i'm a penguin season ticket holder.. and i'm hoping every rag fan in attendance is as bitter as you... makes the whole ceremony that much more enjoyable. at least they didn't purchase a cup (1994) with a bunch of players who will be remembered as oilers.

Sour Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 07:15 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma Caprio View Post
i'm a penguin season ticket holder.. and i'm hoping every rag fan in attendance is as bitter as you... makes the whole ceremony that much more enjoyable. at least they didn't purchase a cup (1994) with a bunch of players who will be remembered as oilers.
Well we traded player for player to get our cup team while the peguins **** the bed for 5 years , i'll take edm thank you very much.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 07:18 AM
FromTheSide

Oh and brian leetch aka conn smyth winner aka most valuable player in the playoffs to win the cup , was Home grown

Old
09-26-2009, 07:31 AM
Sour Shoes
lol u mad cam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalRanger View Post
Well we traded player for player to get our cup team while the peguins **** the bed for 5 years , i'll take edm thank you very much.
honestly, a cup is a cup is a cup.

BUT... if we want to compare for arguement's sake.

penguins - extremely lucky to have sucked when they sucked. people overlook the fact that they made the playoffs 11 consecutive seasons before the 4 year stretch of suck. the players they were lucky enough to acquire will be remembered as penguins.

rangers - paid top dollar for many stars that will be remembered as edmonton oilers. outspending doesn't require any skill whatsoever. and they have the ability to outspend due to population.

so in my opinion, penguins luck > rangers ability to outspend.

Old
09-26-2009, 07:45 AM
FromTheSide

Quote:
honestly, a cup is a cup is a cup.

BUT... if we want to compare for arguement's sake.

penguins - extremely lucky to have sucked when they sucked. people overlook the fact that they made the playoffs 11 consecutive seasons before the 4 year stretch of suck. the players they were lucky enough to acquire will be remembered as penguins.

rangers - paid top dollar for many stars that will be remembered as edmonton oilers. outspending doesn't require any skill whatsoever. and they have the ability to outspend due to population.

so in my opinion, penguins luck > rangers ability to outspend.
Oh noes they signed free agent players with money and traded players for other players, THE AUDACITY OF THEM!

Old
09-26-2009, 07:51 AM
Sour Shoes
lol u mad cam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalRanger View Post
Oh noes they signed free agent players with money and traded players for other players, THE AUDACITY OF THEM!
exactly. nothing i can say will take the '94 cup away from rag fans. they should keep this school of thought in mind on october 2nd.

Old
09-26-2009, 09:30 AM
dtrap

Quote:
exactly. nothing i can say will take the '94 cup away from rag fans. they should keep this school of thought in mind on october 2nd.
I think his point is that the Rangers TRIED to win by making trades and signing players for a lot of money. The Penguins quite frankly tanked for 5 seasons to build their core. Which is a great strategy if you end up with Crosby, Fluery, Staal, and Malkin. With the Rangers luck if they had tried to do that all five of our picks would be out of the NHL by now.

But all conversation about tanking and overspending aside. I am not bitter because you won a cup. I went to school/lived in Erie for 6 years and what makes me bitter is all the bandwagon Penguins fans who suddenly cropped up when Crosby, Malkin and the Stanley Cup came along.

I've said it on here before and I'll say it again...the Pittsburgh Pirates are the perfect parallel to the Penguins. They suck oh so bad now...but when they actually figure it out again and win that entire city will be covered in black New Era 59/50 caps with a yellow "P" on them.

However if you are a true blood Penguins fan then more power too you...you had to deal with a lot of crappy hockey just like we did for seven years. You are a hockey fan just like me and the rest of the guys on the Rangers board here and you deserve to enjoy your cup the way we did in '94.

So let's all play nice and enjoy what should be a great game on 10/2 at the Igloo. Of course I know I'll be smiling after Gabby slides 3 past MAF.

Old
09-26-2009, 09:46 AM
Pugs35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
I think his point is that the Rangers TRIED to win by making trades and signing players for a lot of money. The Penguins quite frankly tanked for 5 seasons to build their core. Which is a great strategy if you end up with Crosby, Fluery, Staal, and Malkin. With the Rangers luck if they had tried to do that all five of our picks would be out of the NHL by now.

But all conversation about tanking and overspending aside. I am not bitter because you won a cup. I went to school/lived in Erie for 6 years and what makes me bitter is all the bandwagon Penguins fans who suddenly cropped up when Crosby, Malkin and the Stanley Cup came along.

I've said it on here before and I'll say it again...the Pittsburgh Pirates are the perfect parallel to the Penguins. They suck oh so bad now...but when they actually figure it out again and win that entire city will be covered in black New Era 59/50 caps with a yellow "P" on them.

However if you are a true blood Penguins fan then more power too you...you had to deal with a lot of crappy hockey just like we did for seven years. You are a hockey fan just like me and the rest of the guys on the Rangers board here and you deserve to enjoy your cup the way we did in '94.

So let's all play nice and enjoy what should be a great game on 10/2 at the Igloo. Of course I know I'll be smiling after Gabby slides 3 past MAF.
I think the Pirates analogy isn't fair. The Pirates have been a joke for 17 years. 17 years! There are kids 20 and 21 years old who can't remember them ever having a winning season. That's a whole generation of fans who grew up with nothing to root for.

I hate bandwagon Pens fans as much as the next guy (more since I live in Pittsburgh), but the Pirates fans I just feel bad for.

Pugs35 is offline   Reply With Quote