Notices

2009-2010 Prospect Tracker

Old
04-02-2010, 02:11 PM
Jbcraig1883

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
Thoughts on Tyler Cuma from the Ottawa/Niagara series.

I'm really not sure what's going on with Cuma. This year has not been a strong one for him, his first after knee surgery. He looks lost on the ice...truthfully. Before the surgery, he was a budding two way defenseman who looked confident bringing the puck up and running the powerplay, but who was also poised to become one of the best defensive defenseman in the league. Now, he's neither. It's almost as if he doesn't know what he should be either. Offensively, he turned the puck over way too many times and had the most trouble with the Niagara forecheck of any 67's defenseman. He had some really sloppy passes in the series. And on the point on the powerplay, he just doesn't look as comfortable as guys like Julien Demers, Travis Gibbons or even the young Cody Ceci. Defensively, he was good in one on one situations and remains very difficult to beat to the net. But in the zone, he's running around too much. While it's good that he's upped his aggressiveness this season, it's bad that he seems to be reliant on it now to play in the defensive zone. Before, he was much more reliant on anticipation, reading the play, and using his stick. Now he's going around trying to be a bully and it's not working for him. Cuma just needs to simplify his game and get back to the basics that made him such a coveted player in 2008. Here's hoping that the AHL provides this wake up call because he used to be one of my favourite defenseman to watch in the league. Most telling stat. Julien Demers and Travis Gibbons finished the series +17. Cuma and Zanetti finished the series -4.

Thanks for the insight, Brock.

And good job on the update, mnwildgopher.

This might sound cheesy but I wonder if Cuma needs to see a sports psychologist. It sounds like he had everything going for him before the injury and sounds to have too much going on upstairs, based on the random quotes from TT and Co., as well as what I've read on these forums. Almost making your 1st pro camp, being injured and missing WJC, not making WJC the following year..etc. It sounds like he needs to clear his mind and just play...

Jbcraig1883 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 02:19 PM
mnwildgophers

Cuma might need to get his mojo back or something...hopefully we take it slowly with him and he'll turn it around eventually and just play hockey.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 10:56 AM
mnwildgophers

Last night, Kris Foucault scored 2 goals and was a +1 in a 5-2 for the Hitmen against Medicine Hat. Nice to see him score some.

On the other hand, Tyler Cuma had no points, and was even last night for Ottawa in a 7-2 win.

Old
04-03-2010, 09:37 PM
teddygmr

Is Almond hurt? He doesnt seem to be playing....

teddygmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 09:43 PM
Jbcraig1883

I ended up purchasing the Aeros game so I was able to see some of the youngsters. Keep in mind that this is only one viewing and I'm not expert.

Scandella-

Really good along the boards-physical and ties his man up well. He also is good 1 vs. 1 going backwards. He makes a very good first pass and his long reach allowed him to poke pucks up along the wall. He did pick up an assist, passing it across to Noreau for the 1 timer. I didn't like Scandella's coverage in front of the net or his decision-making in the offensive zone. He got caught flat footed a few times and that caused some problems. But, I like the raw skills there.

Kuemper-

He got his 2nd win in two nights. He was calm with the puck and made most of the saves. I will leave it to Aeros fans and Ms. Conduct to analyze Kuemper's abilities...see their blogs for great info.

Gillies- Bleh, he hustles and is physical but he didn't look any more noticeable in the game than he did in the Wild's last year. I like the kid and I don't expect him to score but I would think his physical tools would make him put up some numbers in the AHL.

Noreau- I thought he played a great game. He really controls the flow of the Aeros' offense. He makes smart plays, has a hell of a shot and played good defense. He didn't seem too small tonight. He looked like Brian Rafalski imo...again, AHL.

Kalus- He actually looked to be the fastest guy for the Aeros. He also had some really nice passes, showing great hands. He was physical and noticeable. Once again, I think it's a guy who has hands, speed, shot, size but no consistency or work ethic.

McMillan- He played with Irmen and Gillies. He had good n-s speed and appeared OK on the wall. He fumbled a few passes, one that would have been a two on one with Gillies. He also was involved in a fight, ended it quickly. I'm not sure if he connected but he threw em well and appeared to be the victor.

Falk- Same as he was up here but he logged more minutes.

The lack of offensive talent in the organization became even more evident tonight. I'm not trying to be a downer either, just honest. Kalus looked to have some skills but most of the others made me think I was watching our forwards minus Koivu, Bruno, Havlat and Latendresse (puck skills/passing/shooting). But, I guess that is what we drafted in Gillies and the rest of our draftees either flunked outright or are still with the Wild.

Old
04-04-2010, 12:18 AM
mnwildgophers

I'm hoping that Gillies can gain some more goals, I think they will probably make him play next year in the AHL again because if he's only putting up 19 points, he needs some more work. I think he will be okay if he can forecheck hard and create havoc.

I really want to see what Noreau can do up here next year, I'd think he'd be a better addition than Stoner, but what do we know? He did get named to the 2nd all star AHL team, which is pretty cool. It will be interesting for sure.

Scandella will be okay I'm sure, with the depth that we have at D right now, he can spend some time down in the AHL working on his game which is good luxury to have, hopefully him and Cuma can work on their game and become good D-men.

Old
04-04-2010, 12:24 AM
mnwildgophers

Hackett had another strong showing despite taking another loss, he made 51 saves on 55 shots and let 4 goals in.

Hackett's team is playing against Windsor which boasts quite a few players that were on the WJC teams such as Hall, Ellis, and Fowler, and are a very strong team.

I'm very excited to see what Hackett will be able to do next year in the AHL, let's hope it translates well.

Old
04-04-2010, 01:52 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocksta18 View Post
I ended up purchasing the Aeros game so I was able to see some of the youngsters. Keep in mind that this is only one viewing and I'm not expert.

Scandella-

Really good along the boards-physical and ties his man up well. He also is good 1 vs. 1 going backwards. He makes a very good first pass and his long reach allowed him to poke pucks up along the wall. He did pick up an assist, passing it across to Noreau for the 1 timer. I didn't like Scandella's coverage in front of the net or his decision-making in the offensive zone. He got caught flat footed a few times and that caused some problems. But, I like the raw skills there.

Kuemper-

He got his 2nd win in two nights. He was calm with the puck and made most of the saves. I will leave it to Aeros fans and Ms. Conduct to analyze Kuemper's abilities...see their blogs for great info.

Gillies- Bleh, he hustles and is physical but he didn't look any more noticeable in the game than he did in the Wild's last year. I like the kid and I don't expect him to score but I would think his physical tools would make him put up some numbers in the AHL.

Noreau- I thought he played a great game. He really controls the flow of the Aeros' offense. He makes smart plays, has a hell of a shot and played good defense. He didn't seem too small tonight. He looked like Brian Rafalski imo...again, AHL.

Kalus- He actually looked to be the fastest guy for the Aeros. He also had some really nice passes, showing great hands. He was physical and noticeable. Once again, I think it's a guy who has hands, speed, shot, size but no consistency or work ethic.

McMillan- He played with Irmen and Gillies. He had good n-s speed and appeared OK on the wall. He fumbled a few passes, one that would have been a two on one with Gillies. He also was involved in a fight, ended it quickly. I'm not sure if he connected but he threw em well and appeared to be the victor.

Falk- Same as he was up here but he logged more minutes.

The lack of offensive talent in the organization became even more evident tonight. I'm not trying to be a downer either, just honest. Kalus looked to have some skills but most of the others made me think I was watching our forwards minus Koivu, Bruno, Havlat and Latendresse (puck skills/passing/shooting). But, I guess that is what we drafted in Gillies and the rest of our draftees either flunked outright or are still with the Wild.
Great analysis Ben! One question though - how much does Kevin Constantine's philosophy (which is basically Lemaire-lite) hurt someone like Kalus or Gillies?

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 11:14 AM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Great analysis Ben! One question though - how much does Kevin Constantine's philosophy (which is basically Lemaire-lite) hurt someone like Kalus or Gillies?
I have worried about that all season. However, based on the game I watched last night, the systems were very similar to the Wild. They were playing a 2-1-2. Gillies and Kalus were both on the forecheck.

It wasn't evident to me that either one was switched around on various lines or taken off a line for missing a defensive assignment so I'm not sure if Constantine's philosophy hurt them this year. But, again, that's based on one game.

Old
04-06-2010, 09:21 AM
mnwildgophers

Matt Hackett faced 36 shots last night and allowed 5 goals against. He's just been peppered this series against Windsor and he isn't getting much goal support. His numbers are starting to take a hit, but I think he's been playing pretty good.

He also got a match penalty after going after a player on Windsor and must sit out the next game per Russo.

Russo's tweets:
Quote:
Wild recently signed G Matt Hackett got a match penalty and automatic 1-gm susp. for going after Derek Lanoue in yest's Plymouth-Windsor gm.
Quote:
Windsor has 3-0 strangle hold on series, so if Plymouth loses next game, Hackett's junior career has ended
Tyler Cuma has a strained glute I believe and I'm not sure if he'll be playing tonight.

Old
04-06-2010, 03:04 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Windsor's an amazing team, so you have to take that into account. While Plymouth has Tyler Seguin, the Spitfires have Taylor Hall, Zach Kassian, Greg Nemisz and three strong lines which opposing teams must shut down. Plus that doesn't even include their blue line with Ryan Ellis and Cam Fowler.

Old
04-06-2010, 03:26 PM
mnwildgophers

Hackett's been a real spot in last year's draft. Assuming that Khudobin is with us next year, Hackett could get the majority of the starts next year at the AHL level. His team probably won't be great in front of him, but they might be okay.

It'll be fun monitoring his progress over the next year or two.

Old
04-06-2010, 10:10 PM
Jbcraig1883

Depending on how many of the youngster will be in Houston, I may subscribe to watch every AHL game, haha.

I think someone else mentioned that...I like watching younger guys play and noticing changes over time...

Old
04-06-2010, 10:12 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocksta18 View Post
Depending on how many of the youngster will be in Houston, I may subscribe to watch every AHL game, haha.

I think someone else mentioned that...I like watching younger guys play and noticing changes over time...
Yeah, I'm seriously considering it too. I think next year we will have Scandella, Cuma, and Hackett all coming in. I assume that Gillies will still be down there too. I'm excited to see how Scandella and Cuma handle themselves at the AHL level.

Old
04-08-2010, 03:28 PM
mnwildgophers

Updated Prospect info, not much has changed, lots of minuses. Hopefully we can add a lot of prospects to this list. At what point should I call them prospects or not? I didn't consider Robbie Earl a prospect, but considered Noreau? I don't know what my cut-off point should be.

Old
04-08-2010, 03:40 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
Updated Prospect info, not much has changed, lots of minuses. Hopefully we can add a lot of prospects to this list. At what point should I call them prospects or not? I didn't consider Robbie Earl a prospect, but considered Noreau? I don't know what my cut-off point should be.
The HF definition is 65 NHL games played, although it is pretty arbitrary if a player doesn't look to be a part of the future.

Old
04-08-2010, 03:43 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
The HF definition is 65 NHL games played, although it is pretty arbitrary if a player doesn't look to be a part of the future.
Okay, well, I'm scratching Danny Irmen and Robbie Earl because Earl is a fringe player that will probably be between AHL and NHL for a while. I'm pretty much going with 24 and under at this point and if they look like they might turn into something, definitely everyone in the CHL will be accounted for.

I'm excited to be putting this together next year. I can't wait to put an elite prospect (Hopefully) here.

Old
04-10-2010, 11:04 AM
mnwildgophers

Kris Foucault had 2 assists in a 5-4 loss.

Erik Haula had 3 assists in a 5-4 OT win.

Old
04-11-2010, 10:49 PM
mnwildgophers

Big night for some Wild prospects, Kris Foucault scored the tying goal, then the GWG in OT for the Hitmen to lead them to the next round of the WHL playoffs. He was also a +2. It's nice to see him play well.

Erik Haula added 1 assists on the game in which Omaha completed a sweep of Tri-City. Hopefully he pots his first goal soon, but pretty good for a 7th rounder.

I finished the AHL stats, as we can see, not much better than before. Hopefully there can be some more impressive stats next year.

Old
04-13-2010, 12:33 PM
mnwildgophers

Ottawa 67's got eliminated yesterday, Cuma just had 2 PIM and didn't have any other stats of note in a 5-3 loss. It looks like all we have left is Foucault and Haula left for playoffs.

Also Foucault was named the Boston's Pizza WHL Player of the Week!

It's nice to see him doing well. Let's hope he can continue the run, and hopefully he turns into something for us.

Old
04-13-2010, 01:57 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Foucault seems to play his best hockey this time of year. Good sign.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 05:24 PM
Jbcraig1883

I asked about Foucault on the Calargy Hitmen sub-forum. Here is what was said.

Old
04-13-2010, 07:35 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

That's an interesting take and will be interesting to see what will happen with Foucault as he becomes more of a leader next season.

Old
04-13-2010, 08:29 PM
mnwildgophers

Hopefully he can continue to improve and continue to hone his skills. It's good to hear he plays well during the playoffs, but I'd love to see him pick it up offensively next year. That'd be a real nice thing since we have barely any offensive prospects.

Old
04-15-2010, 08:15 PM
mnwildgophers

I just noticed this, but there's now video up of Foucault's game-tying, then game-winning goal up on the WHL website

Both of the goals were from turnovers, but on the game-tying goal he just schooled the goalie. Check it out.