HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

14th Overall Who do the Oil Pick?

View Poll Results: Who do you hope the Oilers take at 14?
Drew Stafford 2 2.15%
Mike Green 2 2.15%
Jakub Sindel 4 4.30%
Kyle Chipchura 9 9.68%
Alexandre Picard 27 29.03%
Ladislav Smid 2 2.15%
Alvaro Montoya 15 16.13%
Andrew Ladd 7 7.53%
Andrej Meszaros 1 1.08%
Evan McGrath 3 3.23%
Johannes Salmonsson 2 2.15%
Enver Lisin 8 8.60%
Adam Pineault 1 1.08%
AJ Thelen 10 10.75%
David Bolland 0 0%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-06-2004, 08:39 PM
Sabes

vCash: 500
14th Overall Who do the Oil Pick?

Who do you hope the Oilers pick at 14?

Old
04-06-2004, 08:46 PM
Oilers Hockey

Kyle Chipchura.

Old
04-06-2004, 08:47 PM
dem

Hard to know whos going to be left at 14...
Picard would be my first choice if available. I figure hes going to get picked just before the oilers get to though.

Picard, Green, Chipchura, Ladd, Shwarz, and Montoya would all be fine by me.... though Id prefer to use the Flyers pick on a goalie. I think one of Shwarz/Montoya/Dubnyk will still be around then.

Old
04-06-2004, 08:48 PM
TheBrew

vCash: 540
I'm a Chipchura fan

Old
04-06-2004, 08:49 PM
Lowetide

If the draft goes according to plan, these guys go top 4:

Ovechkin/Malkin/Olesz/Barker

And these guys probably will be gone by 14:

Ladd, Schwarz, Schremp, Wolski, Montoya

So I'd think they would choose between Picard, Tukonen, Stafford and Chipchura. I think they'll take Alexandre Picard, but Drew Stafford's bio reads like an Oiler in the Lowe/Prendergast era, so they might take Stafford.

Old
04-06-2004, 09:07 PM
USC Trojans
AD

I'd like to have someone like Lisin on the Oilers. We've been lacking a sniping winger since Guerin left. He's gotta be a little more consistent though.

Old
04-06-2004, 09:52 PM
momentai

Um... out of that list. AJ Thelen? Young, young player in the draft... good size at 6'3 210lbs... and has all the potential to be a #1 stud at the defensive position.

But he's been rocketing up many lists recently and I'm not sure if we'd get him at #14 any longer by the time the draft comes around.

Old
04-06-2004, 10:17 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Hey, let's not forget that the Flyers pick could be top 20 too if they lose to Jersey which is EXTREMELY possible

Old
04-06-2004, 10:29 PM
G-Double

Send a message via AIM to G-Double
whoever is not saying thelen either doesn't know about the kid or doesn't believe in BPA...beause at #14 in this draft that kid is without a doubt BPA. The only doubts about him at the moment are whether or not he'll opt in, because by doing so he loses his NCAA elligibility, as opposed to just waiting until after next season when he would be drafted without sacrifiing his elligibility.

As Momentai said, he's got all the tools to become a #1 and he's extremely young. 2nd yongest kid in the NCAAs, playing against guys up to 6 years older than him is nothing to soff at for those of you who don't think naa kids should be thr way to go.

Old
04-06-2004, 10:33 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Double
whoever is not saying thelen either doesn't know about the kid or doesn't believe in BPA...beause at #14 in this draft that kid is without a doubt BPA. The only doubts about him at the moment are whether or not he'll opt in, because by doing so he loses his NCAA elligibility, as opposed to just waiting until after next season when he would be drafted without sacrifiing his elligibility.

As Momentai said, he's got all the tools to become a #1 and he's extremely young. 2nd yongest kid in the NCAAs, playing against guys up to 6 years older than him is nothing to soff at for those of you who don't think naa kids should be thr way to go.
I think alot of it is that some of us (me) have read more on other guys. Seems like he's been moving up, though, and you could certainly be right.

imo, though, speeds logic that its best to get a forward who has offensive upside in the first round is pretty solid. The Oilers list of defenders may not have someone with Thelin's upside (I don't know), but they are as of now pretty deep in defensive prospects.

Old
04-06-2004, 10:36 PM
dem

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Hey, let's not forget that the Flyers pick could be top 20 too if they lose to Jersey which is EXTREMELY possible
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I dont think thats possible at all. Philly won their division... ensuring they have one of the last picks. Certainly not in the top20.

Infact... heres what it says on nhl.com
"Under a new format implemented prior to the 2001 NHL Draft, the Stanley Cup winner will pick last in the draft, followed by the six division winners (in order of fewest to most points). The remainder of the draft is placed in order of fewest points to most points. "

Old
04-06-2004, 10:39 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

yup, the Oilers need a guy who reeks of offensive ability on the backline more then an all-around type guy. I too believe that a shooting forward would be best (Tunik would have been a great pick up for us last year IMO).

Old
04-06-2004, 10:42 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I dont think thats possible at all. Philly won their division... ensuring they have one of the last picks. Certainly not in the top20.

Infact... heres what it says on nhl.com
"Under a new format implemented prior to the 2001 NHL Draft, the Stanley Cup winner will pick last in the draft, followed by the six division winners (in order of fewest to most points). The remainder of the draft is placed in order of fewest points to most points. "
OH, I thought that the rest of the order simply had to do with how/when the teams where eliminated from the playoffs - my bad if I'm wrong though.

Old
04-06-2004, 10:43 PM
G-Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
I think alot of it is that some of us (me) have read more on other guys. Seems like he's been moving up, though, and you could certainly be right.

imo, though, speeds logic that its best to get a forward who has offensive upside in the first round is pretty solid. The Oilers list of defenders may not have someone with Thelin's upside (I don't know), but they are as of now pretty deep in defensive prospects.
I definitely agree with the part about having good depth at the defensive position, but in the first round drafting based on information like that will lead to bad moves. You should pretty much always be drafting based on BPA otherwise you'll end up like....well the oilers, with great 3rd liners and good "depth" but no game breakers. What if Thelen tuns into a blake and we get a guy that turns into another dvorak. Personally i feel this team is in need of the D at that point. Y? because while brewer an log big minutes he isn't as productive as someone like blake. (the blake thing i just threw out there and in no way am i trying to say that theen is projected to be a blake or anything like him. First name that jumped to mind of a guy that size with those skills.)

Look at the Sens. They had Alfredsson and Hossa and yet still drafted Havlat who played the position. Why? BPA, and it doesn't look like its worked out too badly for them has it?

Old
04-06-2004, 10:45 PM
momentai

Quote:

I gather you like him too.

Old
04-06-2004, 11:36 PM
Cerebral

I'd be very happy with one of Thelen or Picard. I think Picard could be a good one and it sounds like there's a slight chance he'll be around when we pick..

Old
04-06-2004, 11:36 PM
G-Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
I gather you like him too.
just a tad bit and IMO, if he opts in, the oilers will need to trade up to get him, because like i said above, o think i said above, he won't last long, definitely not to the #14 pick.

Old
04-06-2004, 11:54 PM
Obsessed

I think the Oil would be smart to pick up Montoya. After Deslauriers we are pretty much bare.

Old
04-06-2004, 11:55 PM
TheChase

Since Kevin Lowe thinks goal scoring and a puck-moving dman are draft priority, but
probably will go for BPA. I would be very happy with Picard, however BPA would place Thelen ahead of Picard and meet KLowe criteria;
But there's NO WAY Thelen is going to be around by 14th.
And whose to say that KLowe won't trade up and pick Radulov or Tukonen or Thelen

Old
04-07-2004, 12:04 AM
momentai

Quote:
just a tad bit and IMO, if he opts in, the oilers will need to trade up to get him, because like i said above, o think i said above, he won't last long, definitely not to the #14 pick.
I know and realize that. I'm thinking at this point if he opts in... he'll be selected somewhere in the 6-9 range though depending on the teams' mindset and how sold their scouts are on him... who knows where in that range he'll go.

Old
04-07-2004, 12:13 AM
kruezer

I'd pick Picard for sure, I'm a big Chipchura fan, but I think he'll be a Jarret Stoll with less offense, I think the Oilers would be better served to get a more offensive player.

Old
04-07-2004, 12:26 AM
speeds

just want to add my thoughts here.

as are most of the posters here, I'm sure, I would definitely characterize myself as a big believer in BPA.

There aren't really any exceptions to that, per se, but I do have some quirks that others may disagree with:

(1) I would not draft a goalie in the top 10 unless he's such a no-brainer that I have him in my top 3. I would rather let another team draft a goalie in the mid first round, spend their 4-6 years of development time, and then trade for him at that point. There are exceptions of course, but this is more of an "in general" type thing, partially because goalies don't seem to carry what I would consider proper trade value. Then again, it's kind of hard to know, because true franchise goaltenders aren't traded all that often (guys like Roy, Brodeur, Belfour, Hasek, etc), but those guys are a crapshoot to draft anyways.

(2) All things considered equal, I would rather have a forward than a D if they are equivalent. Reason being, you can trade for / find decent D cheaper on the trade market than you can find forwards.

having said that, no, I wouldn't ever pass on a guy who I think is a flat out better prospect just because he was a D, and I would prefer a F.

For small market teams though it is just very difficult to find high end offensive talent anywhere besides the draft, and if I had to lean in any way against BPA it would be to pick a F ahead of a D, all else equal.

Old
04-07-2004, 12:39 AM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
(2) All things considered equal, I would rather have a forward than a D if they are equivalent. Reason being, you can trade for / find decent D cheaper on the trade market than you can find forwards.
Do you think so? I'm not sure, but I always hear different.

Old
04-07-2004, 01:06 AM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
Do you think so? I'm not sure, but I always hear different.
true enough, just my opinion. I always like to have offensive talent if I can get it

Old
04-07-2004, 01:08 AM
Allan

I think speeds is right for the Oilers, but not necessarily for other teams. I think the forwards he is referring to are the guys who provide impact offence, and they are very hard to get in a trade - they're mostly available as very expensive free agents. On the other hand, the Oilers seem to be able to take other teams' cast-off defensemen and turn them into very serviceable players, such as Steve Staios, Cory Cross, Igor Ulanov, or even Bergeron and Ferguson, who were skipped over or forgotten by other teams, and have excelled in Edmonton.

Closed Thread