HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

14th Overall Who do the Oil Pick?

View Poll Results: Who do you hope the Oilers take at 14?
Drew Stafford 2 2.15%
Mike Green 2 2.15%
Jakub Sindel 4 4.30%
Kyle Chipchura 9 9.68%
Alexandre Picard 27 29.03%
Ladislav Smid 2 2.15%
Alvaro Montoya 15 16.13%
Andrew Ladd 7 7.53%
Andrej Meszaros 1 1.08%
Evan McGrath 3 3.23%
Johannes Salmonsson 2 2.15%
Enver Lisin 8 8.60%
Adam Pineault 1 1.08%
AJ Thelen 10 10.75%
David Bolland 0 0%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-07-2004, 01:19 AM
kruezer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
true enough, just my opinion. I always like to have offensive talent if I can get it
Understandable, then I'm definetaly in agreement speeds

Old
04-07-2004, 01:32 AM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
I think speeds is right for the Oilers, but not necessarily for other teams. I think the forwards he is referring to are the guys who provide impact offence, and they are very hard to get in a trade - they're mostly available as very expensive free agents. On the other hand, the Oilers seem to be able to take other teams' cast-off defensemen and turn them into very serviceable players, such as Steve Staios, Cory Cross, Igor Ulanov, or even Bergeron and Ferguson, who were skipped over or forgotten by other teams, and have excelled in Edmonton.
yeah, I didn't really mention it much, but it's a good point that my thoughts apply more particularly to small market teams than in a general sense. If I'm the Rangers maybe I draft somewhat differently.

Maybe the Oilers scouts agree with me, maybe it's just coincidence, but it does raise my eyebrows that they have picked a forward with 10 of their 11 first rounders in the 94-03 drafts (1D with the other 1st, Descoteaux, which was their 2nd first rounder in that draft behind Devereaux), and with their picks numbered 31-60, they have picked 7 forwards, 8 defencemen, and 2 goalies of their 17 "2nd rounders".

Old
04-07-2004, 02:01 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

I'm into the BPA thing as well, especially with the Oilers. They should take the one with the highest potential cause the last two drafts left us pretty stacked in all positions except for goaltending. IMO goaltending is the biggest risk when it comes to drafting. If the BPA is a tossup between a F and a D, I'd take the F...just because like speeds said, we can always sign a veteran and get the most out of them (Ulanov, Cross, Staios, etc.)

Old
04-07-2004, 02:32 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Oh Jebus, please give Kevin Lowe the wisdom to trade up from our 14th pick in this NHL draft, and draft one Robert Schremp

Hemsky to Schremp in 3 years, that's all you need to know.

Old
04-07-2004, 03:25 AM
G-Double

Send a message via AIM to G-Double
I don't think the Oilers would take Thelen...Why? well for one thing, as speeds points out, 10 of 11 have been F. On top of that this draft is pretty deep in d for the 2nd-3rd rounds and i think the oilers are content to draft for defensive depth as opposed to getting the guy they thought brewer was going to turn into in Thelen.

For those of you that think Thelen is simply a tom poti redux, i'm sorry to say that he's probably as good or better than poti is now, wait, he's at least as good as Poti is defensively, and he is 17!!!!! he put up 29 pts in 41 games and barring injury should undoubtedly play for the US U-20 team as they defend their gold medal in Grand Forks.All this is written for not though as it is obvious that the oilers will not take a D, and i don't think they'd take a G that early either, not with others such as Brown, Schneider, Dubnyk all being available into the early-mid 2nd round.

one final note...the guy that finished after Thelen in scoring for michigan state had 22 pts and scored at .52 ppg as opposed to Thelen's .71. This guy was also a jr...some of you might be familiar with him...his name is Brock Radunske.

Old
04-07-2004, 03:34 AM
FacelessButcher

I picked Picard. As many people think Thelen and Ladd will be long gone by the time we pick at #14 I chose to omit them, so as not to skew the results with unrealistic expectations.

Old
04-07-2004, 04:10 AM
Hellström

Send a message via ICQ to Hellström
I´m going with Chipchura

Old
04-07-2004, 05:03 AM
Seachd

vCash: 50
If I had to rank them, it might be something like this:

1,2) Thelen, Picard (in one order or another)
3) Ladd
4,5) Stafford, Montoya

I think Ladd, Picard, and Thelen could all easily be gone by the time the Oilers pick. I would hope they would trade up and grab someone like Schremp or Tukonen. And don't be completely surprised if Marek Schwarz falls out of the top 10. I'd rather have him than Montoya, and they might not have to trade up very far to get him if they want.

I don't want to see Chipchura with the first pick. Guys like McGrath or Meszaros might be good choices for the second pick, depending on who they get with the first. You'd think they'd like to get a goalie with one of the first three picks, at least.

Old
04-07-2004, 12:26 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Um... out of that list. AJ Thelen? Young, young player in the draft... good size at 6'3 210lbs... and has all the potential to be a #1 stud at the defensive position.

But he's been rocketing up many lists recently and I'm not sure if we'd get him at #14 any longer by the time the draft comes around.
Agreed, he is whom I chose on the list.

Him and Green will likely be gone before the #14 pick.

Guys who I'd like to see the Oilers pick beyond those two:

Picard, O'Neill, Montoya, Schwartz, or Ladd.

Old
04-07-2004, 12:48 PM
OYLer

Pass the Gouda please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
I gather you like him too.
I didn't vote for anyone; I'm just not informed enough to add much to these prospect pick threads. I depend on you young turks, and the odd older dog, all with real knowledge gained from real interest to keep the Oilers' Scouting crew on their toes. And to trim their tootsy's nails to the quick, especially when they ride some nag hobby horses right into an also-ran claiming-stakes-race, because they put blinkers on themselves instead of picking a winner out of that same field.

Passover mourning has come and gone for missing the likes of Scott Gomez and Shane Doan. We forgive and remember. Personally, I'm more into the business of hockey and the motivational end of elite player performance. Occasionally, I descend into the realm of criticism (sometimes even whine in misery on the blame game), but usually with positve intent. Choosing to be a headcheese in the stinky, pressed curd department, I tend to focus on the holes that need filing and not on whom will ultimately fill those black voids.

So my fine fellow Oilers' enthusiasts who remarkably come from just about everwhere and anywhere, please continue to inform and educate us. Better still, keep those scouts scratching their heads, wondering how you collectively are so on top of things. Yes make them scouts worry, a tad, that you guys will turn what they're scatching into a posterior end. We could sure use, maybe some Finnish cheese like Jari Kurri or a Miikka Kiprusoff whose fromage has but tiny holes in it, and no noticeably unpleasant ordor.

OYLer has left for the outhouse.

Old
04-07-2004, 01:52 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Double
I don't think the Oilers would take Thelen...Why? well for one thing, as speeds points out, 10 of 11 have been F. On top of that this draft is pretty deep in d for the 2nd-3rd rounds and i think the oilers are content to draft for defensive depth as opposed to getting the guy they thought brewer was going to turn into in Thelen.
That's not necessarily true. It has been documented that Kevin Lowe was indeed after Joni Pitkanen when Tampa was offerring up their 4th overall pick. So.. if that deal happened, the Oilers would have taken a defender in the first round. So it's not out of the realm of possibility. Lowe also mentioned that he really wanted Suter in last year's draft... another dman.

I think it's more along the lines that when the Oilers' turn to pick came up.. there really wasn't a huge incentive to draft a defender - ie/ huge upside. Who was available last year for the Oilers? Belle? Ramholt? Even Seabrooke had gone... and I'm not particularly high on him as well. Slim pickings to be sure..

It could very well be as speeds said that the Oilers favor a forward over a dman all things considered.. but the Oilers have sought out to acquire a high-end dman before. It wouldn't surprise, if the chance arose, that the Oilers would go for one again if they were sold.

Old
04-07-2004, 02:31 PM
Cerebral

I'm a bit uneasy about all this hype on guys like Ladd and Chipchura. Everything I've read on Chipchura says he is a great banger with decent skating ability, just needs to work on his scoring touch.. sound a little like anyone on the Oilers? Does it sound like almost everyone on the Oilers? I've heard Ladd has pretty decent hands but I'd feel more comfortable if the Oilers went with a pure skill guy like Picard in the first round..

Old
04-07-2004, 08:54 PM
hunter orange

In order of preference:

1. Picard
2. Montoya
3. Sindel
4. McGrath
5. Lisin
6. Radulov

** I'd be extremely pleased if the Oil got a DUO of these guys with both their first rounders...No Chipchura!!!

Old
04-07-2004, 08:58 PM
outKast*

Schremph, Picard, Montoya

Old
04-07-2004, 09:09 PM
TheBrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter orange
In order of preference:

1. Picard
2. Montoya
3. Sindel
4. McGrath
5. Lisin
6. Radulov

** I'd be extremely pleased if the Oil got a DUO of these guys with both their first rounders...No Chipchura!!!
I dont know why Chipchura is hated aroud here but i can see reason why.First off i too would be angry if Lowe picked Chipchura before Picard or a Ladd but chances are that those guys will be gone by our pick we could always grab a boom or bust Sniper like Sindel or Kasper with our second first rounder.

I also think the Oilers sould not pick a Goaltender in the first round i have faith in JDD there's always next year to pick one because there's no rush.

Old
04-07-2004, 09:16 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrew
I dont know why Chipchura is hated aroud here but i can see reason why.First off i too would be angry if Lowe picked Chipchura before Picard or a Ladd but chances are that those guys will be gone by our pick we could always grab a boom or bust Sniper like Sindel or Kasper with our second first rounder.

I also think the Oilers sould not pick a Goaltender in the first round i have faith in JDD there's always next year to pick one because there's no rush.
It's not that people are against Chipchura, it's just that he's not what the Oilers need at all. Our team is full of players like him, including Stoll who's essentially the same thing except allready a sure thing as he's proven himself at the NHL level, and has better offensive upside.

Old
04-07-2004, 09:23 PM
TheBrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
It's not that people are against Chipchura, it's just that he's not what the Oilers need at all. Our team is full of players like him, including Stoll who's essentially the same thing except allready a sure thing as he's proven himself at the NHL level, and has better offensive upside.
Fair enough but i wonder how in the hell did he get the 1st north american csb ranking? is it that this year's north american prospects are just a buch of Third liners?

Old
04-07-2004, 09:35 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Fair enough but i wonder how in the hell did he get the 1st north american csb ranking? is it that this year's north american prospects are just a buch of Third liners?
Probably has to do that he's near sure bet to reach expectations unlike some boom/bust type players. And as a hitter/grinder, he's very good at it. For a team like Ottawa, I think they would prefer a player like that rather than someone with high offensive upside so he can play on the 4th line for a long time. At least that's how I look at it. There may be more to Chipchura's game than I think, but I certainly don't think he's what the Oilers need with what I know about him.

Old
04-07-2004, 10:08 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
If Montoya was Canadian, he would be recieving as much hype as Fleury right now. He had a very good tournament much like Fleury did last year, the only difference being he won the big one.

I don't see how he can't be picked in the top 10, and I'm willing to bet 2 file folders and some paper clips (sorry, that's all I got on me right now...) that he doesn't go past #12.

Old
04-07-2004, 10:19 PM
Asiaoil

I would be happy enough with Picard at #14 and certainly you take the best available goalie with the Philly pick.

But do we really need MORE prospects right now - man we are loaded. I'm also not that thrilled with who we could get at #14 - Pichard is a LW and like we need more of those. I think we need to pull a quantity for quality deal that addresses our need at center unless Nedved comes back for reasonable dollars. I would deal our #14 pick if the right package came along - but keep the Philly first rounder to get a goalie.

Old
04-07-2004, 10:26 PM
outKast*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
I would be happy enough with Picard at #14 and certainly you take the best available goalie with the Philly pick.

But do we really need MORE prospects right now - man we are loaded. I'm also not that thrilled with who we could get at #14 - Pichard is a LW and like we need more of those. I think we need to pull a quantity for quality deal that addresses our need at center unless Nedved comes back for reasonable dollars. I would deal our #14 pick if the right package came along - but keep the Philly first rounder to get a goalie.
trade one of our first rounders for Mark Bell. Get him while he's young. This may be one of our last chances.

Old
04-07-2004, 10:29 PM
zamboni

Haha, it would take more than one of our 1st rounders to get Mark Bell.

Old
04-07-2004, 10:34 PM
outKast*

1st Jani Rita/Chad Invisiblister for Mark Bell. there, would that be ok for the Hawks GM?

Old
04-07-2004, 10:35 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
I also think the Oilers should not pick a Goaltender in the first round I have faith in JDD there's always next year to pick one because there's no rush.
This draft is supposed to be particularly strong in goaltenders and not only that but many teams are fairly well stocked in that department so many will far much farther than the normally should, it would be a very questionable decision not to take one of these 6 (Schwartz, Montoya, Dubnyk, Ellis, Brown, or Schneider) with one of our top 3 picks. It's nice you have so much faith in JDD but I would never want to leave so much uncertainty/weakness in such a critically important area of as goaltending, by not having atleast a semi-adequate safety net should worst come to worst.

P.S. I realize you said 1st round not 2nd round so you didn't open handidly exclude any of Ellis, Brown, or Schneider but I really don't think we should put drafting a quality goalie on the backburner this year.

Last edited by FacelessButcher: 04-07-2004 at 11:16 PM.
Old
04-07-2004, 10:45 PM
GorillazXL

I picked Chipchura because I don't think Picard or Green will be around at 14, nor Thelen if he were to opt in. Chipchura isn't offensively gifted as say Picard, Sindel or Lisin but he's a worker who can score and isn't afraid of the rough stuff, I have a feeling he could be another Doan, and geesh that hurt the first time we past up on a player like him for a speedster who "had scoring touch".

My list of the names listed:
1. Thelen
2. Picard
3. Green
4. Chipchura
5. Alvaro Montoya
6. Andrew Ladd
7. Drew Stafford
8. Johannes Salmonsson
9. Jakub Sindel
10. Enver Lisin
11. Ladislav Smid
12. Adam Pineault
13. David Bolland
14. Andrej Meszaros
15. Evan McGrath

I would go for a high scoring forward, then a puck moving dman or a goalie.

GXL

Closed Thread