HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Standing in skates w/ soakers on

Old
10-04-2009, 11:41 PM
Lososaurus

vCash: 500
Standing in skates w/ soakers on

Got a shot pad and I'd like to practice with it in skates. Don't know if it's OK to stand in skates w/ soakers or skate guards on, came here for advice.

Lososaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 11:46 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

its fine

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 08:52 AM
EmptyNetter

Do you mean you'll be standing on a concrete floor in your basement with your skate blades unprotected? If that's the case it sounds kind of foolish to me -- you'll need to get them sharpened before every skate. A much better (more accurate and less abuse to your skates) simulation is to wear roller blades when you practice shooting. You'll be at a similar height, require similar balance and will have just as unstable a footing -- I assume that's what you had in mind.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyNetter View Post
Do you mean you'll be standing on a concrete floor in your basement with your skate blades unprotected? If that's the case it sounds kind of foolish to me -- you'll need to get them sharpened before every skate. A much better (more accurate and less abuse to your skates) simulation is to wear roller blades when you practice shooting. You'll be at a similar height, require similar balance and will have just as unstable a footing -- I assume that's what you had in mind.
i think he means standing with skate gurads of some kind

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 11:46 AM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lososaurus View Post
Got a shot pad and I'd like to practice with it in skates. Don't know if it's OK to stand in skates w/ soakers or skate guards on, came here for advice.
I would say no to soakers. You can still damage the blades, never mind the soakers themselves. Carpet or skate guards may be OK, or better yet inlines as Empty netter pointed out.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 02:55 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
i think he means standing with skate gurads of some kind
Oops -- saw the w/ and read it as w/o (without).
BTW, I've never thought of soakers as something you can walk on. I use them because they absorb excess moisture after a skate and to protect my hands from accidental cuts. I figure if I really have to walk around with my skates I'd use the rubber skate guards but have never had occasion to.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 02:59 PM
CanadaBacon

i would just cut a stick and not take the chance, good luck

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 03:17 PM
CptKirk
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
You're not supposed to walk with most soakers. There are some you can, they have heavy duty nylon on the bottom instead of being just made of fabric. If you're asking, I'm betting you don't have those. You'll destroy the soaker and screw up your edge.

Carpet or cut a stick. Or inline skates. Or plastic guards. or rubber mats like rinks have. But don't stand in soakers.

CptKirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 05:23 PM
Lososaurus

I'll definitely be on carpet, some pretty deep stuff too. Though I'd like to not damage that carpet as well if you guys are suggesting standing on the carpet w/o soakers or guards. I have a pair of inlines, I may just go with those instead, though I would like to spend more time in my ice skates; My feet feel like they're going to explode after a game, I think it's a breaking-in problem or I just need a way way way wider forefoot skate.

Thanks for the input!

Lososaurus is offline   Reply With Quote