HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Raycroft: Total Playoff Bust

Closed Thread

Old
04-06-2004, 08:11 PM
FerrisRox

vCash: 500
Raycroft: Total Playoff Bust

I've been hearing a lot of talk about Andrew Raycroft and what a duel he and Theodore are likely to have.

Well, if you look at his career up to now, the evidence of him not being a pressure goaltender is overwhelming.

In Junior and in the minors Raycroft has assembled a woeful 2-12 record in 16 career post season games.

That is not a typo. He has won just 2 of 16. That is simply awful.

Old
04-06-2004, 08:14 PM
prabak11

Send a message via MSN to prabak11 Send a message via Yahoo to prabak11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox
I've been hearing a lot of talk about Andrew Raycroft and what a duel he and Theodore are likely to have.

Well, if you look at his career up to now, the evidence of him not being a pressure goaltender is overwhelming.

In Junior and in the minors Raycroft has assembled a woeful 2-12 record in 16 career post season games.

so? and thats supposed to prove that raycroft will do bad in the playoffs?? :lol

Last edited by Mathieu Lavergne: 04-06-2004 at 09:47 PM.
Old
04-06-2004, 08:18 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:

Oh please. Gime a break!

Old
04-06-2004, 09:09 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:

have you ever heard of the word progression?

Old
04-06-2004, 09:12 PM
Howie Morenz

He was a terrible goalie for the Sudbury Wolves. You could count on him letting in a few softies each game when the game was on the line. He was soooo frustrating. :mad: That's awhile ago though.

Old
04-06-2004, 09:14 PM
electric

Oh man... Bruins fans are going to be all over us because of this thread

I better run away for now and come back after the storm...

Old
04-06-2004, 09:23 PM
Gazou

I don't know but if I remember Patrick Roy was not too good in the AHL and he was the MVP as a rookie goalie. Raycroft has 4 year of NHL experience but no playoffs yet but he has a better defense in front of him. I don't see him giving softies like Dafoe gave us 2 years ago. Theo will have to regain his 2002 playoff form.

Old
04-06-2004, 09:28 PM
DBL

Quote:

I am pretty sure he got little support infront of him in those games, it's not like he was the sole reason he lost thoughs games. But he's a different better goaltender today and has a great team infront of him this year who can support him, so I would say those stats mean jack. Also if confidence means anything to you, he's definitely a confident goaltender right now and for good reason, look at this seasons statistics. And he's got a great temperment for playoff success, I wouldn't bet on Raycroft blowing it for the B's.

Old
04-06-2004, 09:28 PM
BlacknGold Barbarino

Bruins' fan here. The W-L regarding the playoffs for Raycroft throughout his career isn't so hot. It is important (really, really important) to remember, however, that he's pretty much played on lousy teams. So, in reality, he's an unknown quantity.

Let's see what happens over the course of this playoffs before passing judgement.

This should be an entertaining series. May the best team win.

Old
04-06-2004, 09:41 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Bah, considering how Theodore managed to received bad comments on the Bruins Board i guess this thread is in the same range

The fact is both Goalies are very good and i dont see either been bad in this serie.

Should be a lot of fun to watch

Old
04-06-2004, 09:58 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
If I were a Habs fan, I would be panicking, trying to find the most insignifcant stats I can dig up to feel better about my teams chances.....

Old
04-06-2004, 09:59 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

The thing is, Theodore wasn't exactly sharp in the playoffs two years ago. He did great for one game (with the puck hitting the posts 7 times). He cost the team the series against Carolina, all in all he really sucked. Theo scares me more than I would be scared of Raycroft if I were a bruins fan.

Old
04-06-2004, 10:09 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax˛+bx+c
The thing is, Theodore wasn't exactly sharp in the playoffs two years ago. He did great for one game (with the puck hitting the posts 7 times). He cost the team the series against Carolina, all in all he really sucked. Theo scares me more than I would be scared of Raycroft if I were a bruins fan.
I looked at the stats and Theo had a 3.07 GAA, which is very bad for the playoffs. Also his .915 SV is nothing amazing, considering .920 + is now the norm for the playoffs. Last year, the goalies that went to the conferrence finals were all above .924 sv% and their GAA under 1.96.

Old
04-06-2004, 10:10 PM
Waltah*

Quote:
The fact is both Goalies are very good and i dont see either been bad in this serie.

Should be a lot of fun to watch
hehe.....exactly what i wanted to say. well said

may the best team win <----(best smiley evar!!)

Old
04-06-2004, 10:10 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Bringing up past stats like those doesn't prove anything. He's a very good goalie, and sometimes being a rookie goalie can be a blessing....you aren't suppose to outduel the experienced goalie...so you don't put a lot of pressure on yourself, and you play well. Raycroft will play well...but hopefully not as well as Theodore.

Old
04-06-2004, 10:11 PM
Swervedriver

Send a message via MSN to Swervedriver
Quote:

blah...blah...blah

We'll see starting tomorrow!

Old
04-06-2004, 10:12 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8
If I were a Habs fan, I would be panicking, trying to find the most insignifcant stats I can dig up to feel better about my teams chances.....
well, i agree. This is pointless. Bringing in his junior stats to say he is a bad playoff goalie is just pathetic. The fact is, he is unproven. So you dont know if he is going to stink it up, or stand on his head. Its more likely to be the latter than the former imo. The only way I could see his junior stats being applicable was if he had put together one or 2 bad nhl playoffs, and you used his junior stats to show a trend, but as of right now, its just pointless and stupid and I apologize on behalf of habs fans for this idiodic thread.

Old
04-06-2004, 10:14 PM
Waltah*

Quote:
but as of right now, its just pointless and stupid and I apologize on behalf of habs fans for this idiodic thread.
hehe

Old
04-06-2004, 10:46 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:

Keep grasping at your straws. Raycroft was very much on his game last year for the Providence Bruins...only problem is he didnt score any goals......and neither did the PBruins. His Junior team was awful. But if it makes you feel better to start threads like this, then by all means have fun.

Old
04-06-2004, 11:26 PM
HabsoluteFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8
you do realise Boston & Montrael finished the regular season with the same number of wins right?
Personally i dont care what happens in this series...Montreal's already exceeded my expectations. Actually im kinda lying...of course i do care...i'd like to see them win the cup every year....but that isnt going to happen unfortunately....

Anyways, its a whole new season and anything can happen...as long as the leafs dont win the cup im going to be ok! i couldnt stand their fan's bragging for years after having won if they won...some are already irritating enough and they havent won the cup since 67

Old
04-07-2004, 12:00 AM
TJF

Send a message via MSN to TJF
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsoluteFate
Anyways, its a whole new season and anything can happen...as long as the leafs dont win the cup im going to be ok! i couldnt stand their fan's bragging for years after having won if they won...some are already irritating enough and they havent won the cup since 67
I think both Bruins and Habs fans can completly agree with this, thier fans already brag about the Leafs non stop, can you imagine what it would be like if they actually had something to brag about.

As for the the Raycroft stats honestly who cares, he played on brutal team in junior and actually played very well in the minors it's just his team couldn't score him a goal. Trevor Kidd won the memorial cup in junior, John Grahame won a championship in the AHL, what's that done for them?

Old
04-07-2004, 12:17 AM
FerrisRox

I don't think it's pointless at all. He has played 16 playoff games in his junior and minor league career, and in these 'big' games he's come up small.

16 pressure games, and in those games he's managed to win just twice.

To dismiss it by saying the team in front of him was lousy is a little odd because, by definition, it was a playoff team he was playing for and those stats come from 2 different junior teams plus his minor pro team in Providence. So all 3 teams were lousy even though they made playoffs?

Several people here have dismissed the stat as insignifcant, but I was made aware of it by Pierre McGuire on the radio, and heard it brought up again on Sportsnet, so clearly there are hockey observers that think Raycroft's total lack of success in 'pressure' games could be a factor.

As for the person who felt the need to 'apologize' for this 'idiotic thread' give your head a shake.

Since when is stating a fact idiotic?

Old
04-07-2004, 01:00 AM
Quagmier

Quote:

As for the person who felt the need to 'apologize' for this 'idiotic thread' give your head a shake.

Since when is stating a fact idiotic?
Stating a fact is never idiotic...

stating that Raycroft is a total playoff bust AS a fact... well that's a horse of a different colour

Old
04-07-2004, 01:01 AM
Mike8

I don't think this thread is idiotic or irrelevant.

With that said, past statistics for a goaltender aren't necessarily an indication of how they will play in the future. These stats do however indicate that Raycroft is unproven and an unknown commodity in the playoffs. Something for Bruins fans and Hab fans to be concerned about.

Old
04-07-2004, 01:04 AM
chicpea*

Look, Raycroft has had a great season...in the NHL. Let's leave it at that and wish him luck. He's gotta contend with Saku after all .

Closed Thread