HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2009 Philadelphia Phillies: Brad Lidge Will Kill Our Season Edition

Closed Thread

Old
08-25-2009, 10:39 PM
FlyHigh

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
2009 Philadelphia Phillies: Brad Lidge Will Kill Our Season Edition

I'll change the title when he gets put on the DL.

Old
08-25-2009, 10:54 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine
I think Charlie believes he will hurt his confidence worse if he removes him, but I don't see what leaving him out there to constantly blow games is going to do for it. He needs a break and needs a sports psychologist. If that Pujols homer got into his head what is it going to be like if he blows our postseason especially in a town like Philly?
At this point if I'm the Phils, I consider hiring a quack doctor to tell Lidge he needs to shut it down and then put him on the DL. Your 2nd point is right on, I mean, as frustrated as I am with him, there are Philly fans posting in the last thread who apparently think he deserves to go to prison and get butt****ed.

If he has a rough postseason, the whole town is going to turn on him and then it's a 36 million dollar down the train which is going to look terrible especially when we're trying to resign Lee after 2010 and we have Lidge's 12 mill on the books.

Old
08-25-2009, 10:55 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
At this point if I'm the Phils, I consider hiring a quack doctor to tell Lidge he needs to shut it down and then put him on the DL. Your 2nd point is right on, I mean, as frustrated as I am with him, there are Philly fans posting in the last thread who apparently think he deserves to go to prison and get butt****ed.

If he has a rough postseason, the whole town is going to turn on him and then it's a 36 million dollar down the train which is going to look terrible especially when we're trying to resign Lee after 2010 and we have Lidge's 12 mill on the books.
He needs a shrink. And the entire offseason. He just needs to get right, and doing that on the mound ain't gonna fix it, that's been made quite clear over the last 3 months or so.

Old
08-25-2009, 11:08 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post

They really need to do something and quick. It's almost September and you don't want to be scrambling for a closer heading into the postseason.

You're right, they have a ton invested in him and they really need to get him right for next season. Sticking with him certainly hasn't helped him regain his confidence. In fact, it's likely going to get worse as we get closer to the postseason and the city is souring on him. It's like Mitch Williams in 93 all over again, except Mitch wasn't anywhere near as bad. I can't imagine how ugly it will be for him if they somehow make it to the WS and he blows it like Mitch did. I don't think he will be able to come back from that.

Old
08-25-2009, 11:27 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
lol, your not 'fixing' Lidge at this point.

he has been like this ALL year. getting doctors, putting him on the DL, sitting him etc and him getting well are all fantasies at this point. he is what he is and the Phils are either going to have to live with what he gives them or get lucky and someone else steps up.

Old
08-25-2009, 11:28 PM
Garbage Goal

Or we could put him on the DL.

Old
08-25-2009, 11:33 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 87
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
That is all.

Old
08-25-2009, 11:42 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I want to murder Lidge. He needs to be taken out of the closer's role. Give it to Eyre, or give Madson another shot. I don't care, we can't allow him to continue to blow important games for us. As long as Brad Lidge is not our closer, we're in better shape whether it's one guy or by committee.

Old
08-25-2009, 11:47 PM
Haute Couturier

Surprise surprise, Charlie says Lidge is still his guy. How many more does he have to blow before Charlie removes him or does he stick with him regardless? *sigh*

Old
08-25-2009, 11:50 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

Yea do it by committee, all of those guys would do a better job than Lidge. I can't wait til Myers gets back.

Old
08-25-2009, 11:58 PM
hgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Well if you're Fred Wilpon you don't want him accepting arbitration and having to pay out 8+ million to a reliever when you are looking to decrease payroll and already have an expensive closer.
Yeah, but the Mets are going to pretend to be contenders next year. It certainly wouldn't hurt to put Billy Wagner in the 8th inning role...whatever, I guess.

Old
08-26-2009, 12:01 AM
flyersguy33*

Am I late?

Old
08-26-2009, 12:03 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

The Phils better win the next 2 or it will be disgraceful.

Old
08-26-2009, 12:13 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzo View Post
Yeah, but the Mets are going to pretend to be contenders next year. It certainly wouldn't hurt to put Billy Wagner in the 8th inning role...whatever, I guess.
It wouldn't hurt, but I don't think they ever intended to offer him arbitration. They'll pretend to be contenders, but all reports are that they won't open up the wallet to do like they normally do. They'll just sell the fact that they are healthy next year.

Old
08-26-2009, 12:16 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

Wagner is just an *******. His teammates dont even like him. Ask Pat Burrell. For the Mets, the sooner they could dump him the better. Wagner won't last with the Sox and will be begging a crappy team to sign him next year.

Old
08-26-2009, 12:17 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Surprise surprise, Charlie says Lidge is still his guy. How many more does he have to blow before Charlie removes him or does he stick with him regardless? *sigh*
How many more times does Charlie have to stick with him before Amaro steps in and says enough is enough?

You know what I find funny, even if it might be mere coincidence? Lee goes to the minors, wins a Cy within 2 years. Myers goes to the minors, wins the world series a few months later. Hamels and Lidge suck? Yeah, they just need to go back out there and they'll figure it out. Lidge needs to either be shut down or sent somewhere else to figure out how to locate his fastball, throw his slider for strikes, and use his fastball more (yes, he needs to learn all three of those things before I have any confidence in the guy). Park can keep his job nice and warm in the mean time.

Old
08-26-2009, 12:19 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
How many more times does Charlie have to stick with him before Amaro steps in and says enough is enough?

You know what I find funny, even if it might be mere coincidence? Lee goes to the minors, wins a Cy within 2 years. Myers goes to the minors, wins the world series a few months later. Hamels and Lidge suck? Yeah, they just need to go back out there and they'll figure it out. Lidge needs to either be shut down or sent somewhere else to figure out how to locate his fastball, throw his slider for strikes, and use his fastball more (yes, he needs to learn all three of those things before I have any confidence in the guy). Park can keep his job nice and warm in the mean time.
I like this. Best part is it couldnt be any worse than now.

Old
08-26-2009, 12:24 AM
bakunin

Hey, Tom Gordon is available.

Old
08-26-2009, 12:25 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
I like this. Best part is it couldnt be any worse than now.
Exactly. Park is dealing right now and clearly a much better reliever than starter. He has a decent chance to succeed, which keeps Madson in his comfort zone and doesn't pin all our hopes on Myers coming back from injury, but still leaves room for Brett to come in and lock down the 7th if he does manage to recover and pitch well. Plus, Park is on a 1 year deal, so if they think Lidge can get it done after taking the rest of the season off and regrouping, his replacement probably won't even be here to compete with him. Seems like wins all the way around to me.

Old
08-26-2009, 12:25 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakunin View Post
Hey, Tom Gordon is available.
So is Jose Mesa!

Old
08-26-2009, 12:30 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
Wagner is just an *******. His teammates dont even like him. Ask Pat Burrell. For the Mets, the sooner they could dump him the better. Wagner won't last with the Sox and will be begging a crappy team to sign him next year.
I heard he is interested in signing with the Nats because they are closer to his home in Virginia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post

Yeah, it's really getting ridiculous at this point. I wonder what is the breaking point for either Amaro or Manuel.

Yeah, it's delusional to think they will suddenly get it this year especially Lidge who has been known to have a fragile confidence. Running him out there to fail surely isn't helping any.

Old
08-26-2009, 12:37 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

Lidge is not as bad as he's pitched this year but he's no where near as good as he pitched last year.

Old
08-26-2009, 02:10 AM
coda

...Im hoping Myers comes back within the next week, and usurps the closing role...he didnt do a bad job on 07...

Old
08-26-2009, 02:14 AM
Cinerary
The Inexorable

Maybe 10 is the magic number before something happens? I could deal with one more blown save if it means Lidge is done after that.

Old
08-26-2009, 03:23 AM
Yoshimitsu

I hate to say it, but Charlie Manuel is quickly going from "lovable, old school manager" to "incompetent idiot." He absolutely can not allow this to continue; his job is to recognize situations like this and do his best to rectify them. Trotting Lidge out to pitch the 9th is simply irresponsible. No other manager in the majors - not a single one - would have allowed this situation to snowball to the point that it has.

It's almost September and Lidge is as bad, if not worse, than he has been at any point during the season. He isn't going to walk out to the mound one 9th inning and magically be fixed. He's finished. He's a shell of his former self. The Brad Lidge we saw last year is gone. If Charlie is unable to recognize this and continues to allow Lidge to pitch, and it becomes the Phillies downfall (which it will,) then Charlie needs to be fired.

Closed Thread