HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anton Stralman to Columbus for a 3rd Round Pick

Old
09-28-2009, 06:31 PM
RDriesenUD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post
1. A boomer.
2. He ran the point on the pp in the World Champs two years ago...he was good at it.
3. He could be better, but good thing we have a 'defensive-minded' coach who cares only about defense to help him. Gord Murphy will enjoy working with him.

Why thank you very much...
I was thinking about this the other day. I was thinking how I like that we draft skilled players because Hitch can teach them the parts they need to learn. That is what he is good at. Some teams draft to their coaches strength. We don't really. We draft talent and let our coach teach them what he is good at teaching.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 06:33 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

I like this move. Very inexpensive way to get that (possible) pmd or in the future a ppqb. I too think Russell may sit in the press box once in a while. Mehot, Russ and Stralman, may be used according to the opponet.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 06:34 PM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
I'd have to think our two defensive power play tandems would include some combination of: Tyutin, Russell, Straiman and Hejda.

The CBJ now have four Swedes on the roster.
Commodore and Klesla are used on the PP before Hejda.

I'd imagine Stralman will get about the same minutes overall as Backman and Russell did last season: 15-16, with 2-3 of those being on the PP.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 06:34 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
I'd have to think our two defensive power play tandems would include some combination of: Tyutin, Russell, Straiman and Hejda.

Isn't Brassard on the point now?

Old
09-28-2009, 06:35 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:

I really don't think Hejda will get PP time .

Not with Brassard looking the way he did on the point. And if another defenseman is used it would be Klesla, not Hejda IMO.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 06:35 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
Commodore and Klesla are used on the PP before Hejda.

I'd imagine Stralman will get about the same minutes overall as Backman and Russell did last season: 15-16, with 2-3 of those being on the PP.
Fair enough. I was thinking Klesla and typed Hedja!
UPGRADE = Straiman > Backman

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 06:36 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
I like this move. Very inexpensive way to get that (possible) pmd or in the future a ppqb. I too think Russell may sit in the press box once in a while. Mehot, Russ and Stralman, may be used according to the opponet.
I agree.

Old
09-28-2009, 06:38 PM
lilgeek

Quote:
Fair enough. I was thinking Klesla and typed Hedja!
UPGRADE = Straiman > Backman
My 7 month old neice > Backman

lilgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 06:39 PM
CBJNut

Send a message via ICQ to CBJNut Send a message via AIM to CBJNut Send a message via MSN to CBJNut Send a message via Yahoo to CBJNut
There are some youtube clips of him doing some wicked hip checks.

CBJNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 06:41 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJNut View Post
There are some youtube clips of him doing some wicked hip checks.
I've seen enough of him to endorse this trade, but others should never judge a player based on a couple YT montages (which he has).

Just sayin. His YT clips make him look like a beast, and he could pan out to be one, but I don't want people to go crazy and think we have the next Lidstrom on our hands.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 06:43 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipeshow View Post
Sooo, he'll be in your top 4 with PP time I assume?
Regular 5-on-5 top 4 is debatable - I'm not thinking so unless Hitch works instant miracles with him, as he'd have to displace one of Klesla (unlikely despite what some haters here would claim), Commie (not gonna happen), Tyutin (ha!) or Hejda (zomgwtflol). PP time, on the other hand, is probably a given.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 06:43 PM
aRussian

Quote:

I wonder if Stralman has any relations with some people like Juice does...?
I can only imagine the arena with a super swede section

aRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 06:46 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
I doubt that'll last. I'm still convinced Modin will be hitting retroactive LTIR shortly.

Or does that count as still being on the roster?

Old
09-28-2009, 06:50 PM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
Isn't Brassard on the point now?
Maybe not now, Maybe its Stralman and Russel on the first D PP pair, Maybe they round out the skill and put Russel on the 2nd Pair. Who knows

We will find out saturday

CBJWennberg41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 06:53 PM
LaCosta Nostra

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
You've probably all seen this, but here it is anyways:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WK0aAR0Ppg
Oh... Dear... Lord! Christmas in September!!!!!!!!!!!

LaCosta Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 06:57 PM
HillbillyJacketsFan

the cup is ours

HillbillyJacketsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 07:08 PM
erratum

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
You've probably all seen this, but here it is anyways:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WK0aAR0Ppg
I like how they got Howson to rap at the end of this video.

erratum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 07:12 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

These would be the YT videos that sold me for good:

I admit it. I'm a sucker for a player with a good hip check.

Old
09-28-2009, 07:19 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Regular 5-on-5 top 4 is debatable - I'm not thinking so unless Hitch works instant miracles with him, as he'd have to displace one of Klesla (unlikely despite what some haters here would claim), Commie (not gonna happen), Tyutin (ha!) or Hejda (zomgwtflol). PP time, on the other hand, is probably a given.
Don't be so sure. Hitch REALLY liked the Commodore/Russell pairing in camp. Of course it all depends how Stralman looks and how he is compared to Russell, but I think the aim is to get a guy good enough to get Commie and Russell on the third pairing.

Is Stralman that guy? This is yet to be determined.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 07:22 PM
Raymones

Strålman is one of my favorite players, so I was really happy when he was traded to the Flames. This move for sure came as a surprise, but when thinking about it, it makes very much sense. And it might turn out to be a steal for Columbus.

I've followed Strålman closely since he entered the SEL. He has great potential and hearing (more like reading) rumours about Howson wanting him at the deadline (and Hitch being very good with younger players) really makes me think that Strålman finally will have his breakthrough in Columbus. IMO all he ever needed was a coach that believes in him and lets him fly. He always thrived when given the opportunity. Having a GM persuing him is a good start.

And don't believe the "he threatened to bolt to Europe if he wasn't gonna play" rumours. Those where just an example of bad Swedish journalism IMO. Of course Strålman wasnt happy with being in the minors. He shouldnt be. He has more talent than Finger, Frögren and Oreskovic together. I remember Strålman talking about it in the offseason saying he thought that the SEL was a better place for him to develop and that it was hard to support a family (BTW, he had his second kid just about ten days ago) on an AHL-salary, living in Toronto. I can imagine it is.

With Strålman being on your team, you might have to put up with me lirking here a lot and posting once in a while. Hope you don't mind.

Last edited by Raymones: 09-28-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Raymones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 07:22 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Don't be so sure. Hitch REALLY liked the Commodore/Russell pairing in camp. Of course it all depends how Stralman looks and how he is compared to Russell, but I think the aim is to get a guy good enough to get Commie and Russell on the third pairing.

I would think Methot would move up to the second pairing first... but yeah, that's fair.

Old
09-28-2009, 07:28 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
It's likely the bottom three defenseman will be switched in and out of games until the first injury comes along. Methot may have groined with this signing but Russell may have wailed.

Although I have not seen Stralman play enough to make any comments on his game I'll being watching what his 6-1 height and 200 plus pounds can do along the boards when Russell is out.

I'm confident Methot is going to make any benching of him by Hitchcock a difficult decision.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 07:38 PM
orthosrgn2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stralldog View Post
Strålman is one of my favorite players, so I was really happy when he was traded to the Flames. This move for sure came as a surprise, but when thinking about it, it makes very much sense. And it might turn out to be a steal for Columbus.

I've followed Strålman closely since he entered the SEL. He has great potential and hearing (more like reading) rumours about Howson wanting him at the deadline (and Hitch being very good with younger players) really makes me think that Strålman finally will have his breakthrough in Columbus. IMO all he ever needed was a coach that believes in him and lets him fly. He always thrived when given the opportunity. Having a GM persuing him is a good start.

And don't believe the "he threatened to bolt to Europe if he wasn't gonna play" rumours. Those where just an example of bad Swedish journalism IMO. Of course Strålman wasnt happy with being in the minors. He shouldnt be. He has more talent than Finger, Frögren and Oreskovic together. I remember Strålman talking about it in the offseason saying he thought that the SEL was a better place for him to develop and that it was hard to support a family (BTW, he had his second kid just about ten days ago) on an AHL-salary, living in Toronto. I can imagine it is.

With Strålman being on your team, you might have to put up with me lirking here a lot and posting once in a while. Hope you don't mind.
Nice post. How could we complain about your presence. Very helpful for me as I know nothing about him, but I love what I am hearing (reading). Howson doing what he does best (Hdwhdb!)

orthosrgn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 07:39 PM
plong123
Litebrite Stinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stralldog View Post
On the contrary, my friend. Welcome! Would you like the first Columbus Blue Jackets Stralman avatar? I know some people here who can make that happen!

Also: How do you get that cool accent above the a? Is there like a shift/control/option command that gets me to those letters?

edit: I guess I have to go to my special characters palette: Strålman

Last edited by plong123: 09-28-2009 at 07:44 PM.
plong123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 07:50 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:

Anything that gets Commodore on the ice less is a good thing. I still have doubts about his conditioning, but I haven't seen any pictures of him in bed with money this year to compare the before and after.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote