HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Anton Stralman to Columbus for a 3rd Round Pick

Old
09-28-2009, 06:50 PM
PubOFH

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to PubOFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I doubt that'll last. I'm still convinced Modin will be hitting retroactive LTIR shortly.

Or does that count as still being on the roster?
Who is this Modin you speak of?

PubOFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 06:50 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by plong123 View Post
On the contrary, my friend. Welcome! Would you like the first Columbus Blue Jackets Stralman avatar? I know some people here who can make that happen!

Also: How do you get that cool accent above the a? Is there like a shift/control/option command that gets me to those letters?

edit: I guess I have to go to my special characters palette: Strålman
International keyboards allow for that sort of thing. We have imperialistic AMERICAN keyboards that don't go for that kind of cheap euro war-losing wimpy garbage.

In all seriousness, try the windows character map.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 06:51 PM
dr-nix
Beware of the Bunny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stralldog View Post
Strålman is one of my favorite players, so I was really happy when he was traded to the Flames. This move for sure came as a surprise, but when thinking about it, it makes very much sense. And it might turn out to be a steal for Columbus.

I've followed Strålman closely since he entered the SEL. He has great potential and hearing (more like reading) rumours about Howson wanting him at the deadline (and Hitch being very good with younger players) really makes me think that Strålman finally will have his breakthrough in Columbus. IMO all he ever needed was a coach that believes in him and lets him fly. He always thrived when given the opportunity. Having a GM persuing him is a good start.

And don't believe the "he threatened to bolt to Europe if he wasn't gonna play" rumours. Those where just an example of bad Swedish journalism IMO. Of course Strålman wasnt happy with being in the minors. He shouldnt be. He has more talent than Finger, Frögren and Oreskovic together. I remember Strålman talking about it in the offseason saying he thought that the SEL was a better place for him to develop and that it was hard to support a family (BTW, he had his second kid just about ten days ago) on an AHL-salary, living in Toronto. I can imagine it is.

With Strålman being on your team, you might have to put up with me lirking here a lot and posting once in a while. Hope you don't mind.
I agree. I come from Timrå (where he played before signing for Toronto). The major reason for his breakthrough here in sweden is because his coach took a chance on him right away because he had impressed during the preseason. He was a talent obviously but he was an unknown player who sort of came from nowehere for most people.

In Toronto he never was given a chance and he's not North American. He's the kind of guy who needs to be given a real chance for him to thrive. He needs a coach who belives in him. I doubt he will ever be great defensively but he's an Offensive D-man not a Defensive D-man.

Anyways i haven't seen him personally since that World Championship in Canada but hopefully he will have a good season him Columbus. He really needs a good season.

Edit: btw not sure if they had any contact with each other but Modin does have his roots in Timrå (where Strålman played in Sweden) and i know Modin usually travels home for the summers (he has a house back here i think). Not sure he trains with Timrå though, i know Zetterberg (also has his roots in Timrå) does but i don't know about Modin.

Last edited by dr-nix: 09-28-2009 at 06:57 PM.
dr-nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 06:55 PM
blahblah

Quote:
I would think Methot would move up to the second pairing first... but yeah, that's fair.
Sure, if you think they brought in Stralman to hang out in the press box.

Got too many of the same style and better then Methot.

Time will tell if this is a good move, but it seems like this could work out. He does bring something we don't have. For the price of a third it is well worth it. Howson excels in low risk, high reward moves. This qualifies. I feel better then I did 24 hours ago.

Even if he's in town in time, I'd be surprised if he's in for opening night.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 07:02 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
I would think Methot would move up to the second pairing first... but yeah, that's fair.
If Stralman shows any semblance of competence with the puck, I think he will be the one to get moved up over Methot. Methot is SUCH a stiff player. He seems really nervous with the puck on his stick in traffic and in the offensive zone.

Best to see how Stralman looks before we jettison him to the 2nd paring though.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 07:04 PM
Raymones

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthosrgn2 View Post
Nice post. How could we complain about your presence. Very helpful for me as I know nothing about him, but I love what I am hearing (reading). Howson doing what he does best (Hdwhdb!)
Your welcome! I know quite a lot about him, so feel free to ask.

Quote:
On the contrary, my friend. Welcome! Would you like the first Columbus Blue Jackets Stralman avatar? I know some people here who can make that happen!

Also: How do you get that cool accent above the a? Is there like a shift/control/option command that gets me to those letters?

edit: I guess I have to go to my special characters palette: Strålman
Thanks alot, but I think I'll pass.. I'm pretty content with my AIC avatar for now. And I think you diehard CLB fans deserve one before me!

Seems every board has it's own avatar-maker! I don't know why, but somehow your post got me thinking about Morgan Freeman (Red) from Shawshank Redemption. "If you need anything, I'm the guy that can get you things".

As for the letters: The Swedish alphabet includes the letters å, ä and ö (other than that, it's the same as yours), so they have their own spots on our keyboards.

Thanks for the warm welcoming guys! I'll check back here often, for sure. But for tonight, I'm off to bed. Good night!

(It just struck me that if I want to see Strålman play now, most homegames will be on 1am instead of 3am. Nice!).

Raymones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 07:06 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Sure, if you think they brought in Stralman to hang out in the press box.

Got too many of the same style and better then Methot.
Methot will get plenty of playing time as soon as Rusty inevitably gets injured again.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 07:23 PM
Raymones

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr-nix View Post
I agree. I come from Timrå (where he played before signing for Toronto). The major reason for his breakthrough here in sweden is because his coach took a chance on him right away because he had impressed during the preseason. He was a talent obviously but he was an unknown player who sort of came from nowehere for most people.
Absolutely true. Well said. Sorry your Timrå got spanked by FBK tonight..

Quote:
Edit: btw not sure if they had any contact with each other but Modin does have his roots in Timrå (where Strålman played in Sweden) and i know Modin usually travels home for the summers (he has a house back here i think). Not sure he trains with Timrå though, i know Zetterberg (also has his roots in Timrå) does but i don't know about Modin.
If Modin practices with Timrå in the summers they must have met, for sure. And Huselius played for Team Sweden in the WCs, so they should know each other. At least a bit.

Raymones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 07:25 PM
tfong

I dunno why we traded Stralhman to you guys I don't want to keep Kronwall.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 07:41 PM
JF Omalycat
CBJ Express

luv it

JF Omalycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 07:43 PM
Codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codes View Post
No rumblings from the Calgary side, and we've sent down Kronwall.

That leaves us with:

Regehr
Bouwmeester
Phaneuf
Sarich
Giordano
Pardy
Stralman

7 defensemen. I believe you may be out of luck.
Turns out the radio had incorrectly reported that Kronwall was waived, which is why this trade initially didn't make sense. It's too bad; I liked what I saw from Stralman. Well, we got a pick for nothing.

Codes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 07:46 PM
Robert
BOB

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Turns out the radio had incorrectly reported that Kronwall was waived, which is why this trade initially didn't make sense. It's too bad; I liked what I saw from Stralman. Well, we got a pick for nothing.
A third round pick is pretty good imo... We will see about what we got.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 07:52 PM
Codes

I have a feeling it boiled down to playing time in Calgary. If we kept him, he would have been the #6/7 dman, and it has been said in the past that if he was unhappy with his NHL situation he would go back to Sweden. It is possible he wouldn't be satisfied with such a role.

With Calgary so deep on defense, he would likely be unhappy. Also, I don't think he would have cleared waivers, so the most viable option was to trade him and get something back. It was a good move; we found a suitable team that would give Stralman a good shot, and we got back a draft pick for a player we originally picked up on waivers.

Codes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 07:57 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
I have a feeling it boiled down to playing time in Calgary. If we kept him, he would have been the #6/7 dman, and it has been said in the past that if he was unhappy with his NHL situation he would go back to Sweden. It is possible he wouldn't be satisfied with such a role.

With Calgary so deep on defense, he would likely be unhappy. Also, I don't think he would have cleared waivers, so the most viable option was to trade him and get something back. It was a good move; we found a suitable team that would give Stralman a good shot, and we got back a draft pick for a player we originally picked up on waivers.
He was the only player on the flames with a two way contract. You are right, he wouldn't have cleared waivers so Sutter got something for him.

Read what was written earlier. The guy has 2 kids now and playing in the AHL doesn't really afford him a means to make a nice living for his family when he could have gone to Europe and make way more money. I don't blame him for that line of thinking when the guy has a family.

He will get a good chance here and likely be a full time player. He is young and has a load of upside potential..his right handed shot doesn't hurt either. He is a good add for the jackets and will not change the Flames in anyway.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 08:06 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Two kids and he's only 23? Needs to find something else to do during the downtime.

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 08:26 PM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
If your on a Windows computer, then you can configure your keyboard to do International Characters and use RightAlt-W or Alt 134 (on the numbers key pad). But it can be a pain to set up, and then you can be trying to type in English and accidentally start typing special characters.

So, copying and pasting from a Swedish site can be easier.

Also, the long å is pronounced sort of like "oo". In Swedish båt= boat. The short å is pronounced like the o in song (sång = song).

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 08:29 PM
Casework

I love this move. Yet again, Howson appears to have done very well here.

Stralman is still so young and has a chance to grow with our team, but at the same time can fill an immediate need. Perfect.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 08:41 PM
Socks
HeadFake

I have to admit I don't know a lot about this guy past the name recognition, but there seems to be a positive consensus, so I shall hop onto the bandwagon. Plus, like Viqsi, I love a good hip check and those YT vids showed him having the skill to pull that off nicely! Welcome to Columbus Anton!

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 08:41 PM
MephistoIV

Send a message via AIM to MephistoIV
Nash/Umberger/Huselius/Brassard/Stralman?
Filatov/Vermette/Voracek/Tyutin/Russell

MephistoIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 08:56 PM
Socks
HeadFake

Quote:
Originally Posted by MephistoIV View Post
Nash/Umberger/Huselius/Brassard/Stralman?
Filatov/Vermette/Voracek/Tyutin/Russell
Dare I say our pp actually looks dangerous? (at least on paper)

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 09:04 PM
MephistoIV

Send a message via AIM to MephistoIV
new eric smith blog on Stralman, with a Calvert update at the end..
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eric-...-Much/96/23274

MephistoIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 09:07 PM
Robert
BOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinNow View Post
Dare I say our pp actually looks dangerous? (at least on paper)
It does, but don't forget about our second year goaltender. I love Commie but I was not impressed with his playoff performance last season. Now I'm hearing a Commie/Russell pairing is the cats meow with coach Hitchcock. Toss in another young offensive defenseman into that mix and Mason is toast 5X5...

Just sayin, but people better think about our young Mr. Mason and shots against in these power play scenarios.

Old
09-28-2009, 09:14 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz View Post
Two kids and he's only 23? Needs to find something else to do during the downtime.
That's debatable.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 09:15 PM
Robert
BOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MephistoIV View Post
new eric smith blog on Stralman, with a Calvert update at the end..
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eric-...-Much/96/23274
I read it, Stralman has not played one game as Blue Jacket... if he starts Saturday benching Methot I will live with it but I will work the web hard the following day if the choice backfires.

Old
09-28-2009, 09:27 PM
Jimayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
That's debatable.
Debatable? It's ludicrous. No such thing as too much sex.

Jimayo is offline   Reply With Quote