HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Unlike Kovalev, Koivu gave Habs fans his best every shift

Old
09-28-2009, 05:05 PM
Originalsix

vCash: 500
Unlike Kovalev, Koivu gave Habs fans his best every shift

Jack Todd article in the Gazette...

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...637/story.html

Originalsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 05:06 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
I'm still baffled some morons rallied to keep Kovalev and nobody got together to show Saku support.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 05:10 PM
MonacoBlue

For once, Jack Todd writes something that isn't complete garbage.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 05:17 PM
ChickenHabsFan

it is especially true for the playoffs. I say we will miss him very much once we get into the playoffs

ChickenHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 05:22 PM
Gary320

Anyway, on this topic. It does strike me kinda odd that people supported a floater over a guy who gave ALOT for the city and never took a shift off.. at the same time.. Kovalev was the god of the Bell Center, media influence or not.

Last edited by Watsatheo: 09-28-2009 at 08:01 PM. Reason: quoted deleted post
Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 05:22 PM
dfk711*
The real #11

Quote:
And the guy who blamed Steve Bégin and Francis Bouillon for the fact the Habs were swept by Boston in the playoffs last spring, even though Bégin had already been traded to Dallas and Bouillon was out with an abdominal injury and only played a couple of shifts.

Great article, I hope Koivu and Montreal both play better this season for the sake of both parties.

dfk711* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 05:24 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I'm still baffled some morons rallied to keep Kovalev and nobody got together to show Saku support.
I guess that it makes Gainey a moron then. Seems to me he was closer to keep Kovalev than Koivu.

I think the rally to keep Kovalev has more to do with us being more than average for the past 15 years. If we would have had a winning team and a succesful one in the playoffs, we would be use to know what kind of players you need to be successful.

Since we don't win and don't go far, at least you have a show to attend to.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 05:24 PM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
I really liked that article.

gunnerdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 05:26 PM
Hades

The thing is, most "everyday normal Habs fan" didn't really care about Koivu because he didn't pull off crazy dekes like Kovalev did. Those are the fans that don't watch any hockey except the Habs games. Most TRUE habs that didn't get brain washed by the french media loved Koivu. Kovalev would get forgiven anything as soon as he pulled his crazy dekes. That's why some people rallied so he could stay.

Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 05:30 PM
HotPie

I usually find Todd to be pretty obnoxious, but I pretty much agree with everything he said in that article.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 05:56 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
They're habs fans. The answer lies in its self.

Seriously, I'm not Jack Todd even though I say

Quote:
Sometimes I wonder. Does anyone in this town actually watch hockey, or do y'all just blog, Twitter, listen to sports-blab radio and swap nasty rumours overheard in bars?
To a lot of people here.

Just... a lot of habs fans are that dumb. Being a hardcore fan in the bell centre is a lot like being a player. It's amazing when you're winning and it,s terrible when you're losing. You hear nothing but idiotic comments from these people. Stupid gestures and then the media goes on to go a long with the idiots.

Then again, stupid people breed more than smart people.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 05:58 PM
elsubz

The guy absolutely nailed it. It was a real pleasure reading that article.

elsubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 05:59 PM
Jedrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticEntity View Post
For once, Jack Todd writes something that isn't complete garbage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
I usually find Todd to be pretty obnoxious, but I pretty much agree with everything he said in that article.
I thought it started promising, and I actually began reading a Jack Todd article for the first time in years, but I got no further than the one-quarter mark when he went to his usual ho-hum trick bag of 'the average fan in this city is almost as ******** as every Leaf fan'.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 06:00 PM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenHabsFan View Post
it is especially true for the playoffs. I say we will miss him very much once we get into the playoffs
yeah .88 PPG in the playoffs...Koivu is warrior who fights harder when the stakes are raised. Hopefully Girlanec won't disappear down the stretch like last year or we'll really wonder why we let Koivu walk and kept plecks.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 06:03 PM
Jedrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyF3ind View Post
yeah .88 PPG in the playoffs...Koivu is warrior who fights harder when the stakes are raised. Hopefully Girlanec won't disappear down the stretch like last year or we'll really wonder why we let Koivu walk and kept plecks.
Girlanec.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 06:12 PM
Turboflex*

jack todd should go back to nebraska he doesn't know anything about hockey, what a moronic hack that draft dodging loser is.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 06:17 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onisac View Post
The thing is, most "everyday normal Habs fan" didn't really care about Koivu because he didn't pull off crazy dekes like Kovalev did. Those are the fans that don't watch any hockey except the Habs games. Most TRUE habs that didn't get brain washed by the french media loved Koivu. Kovalev would get forgiven anything as soon as he pulled his crazy dekes. That's why some people rallied so he could stay.
Habs fans like players that do hard work but more than anything else they're dreamers. And Kovy make them dream.

That's the bottom line over all the Koivu vs Kovalev situations.

Personaly I don't care either way since I wasn't fan of either. But this is what I noticed, looking at the behaviors of Habs fans.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 06:18 PM
schumway2

This article is about 3 months late.

schumway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 06:22 PM
Seb
Need more Therrien

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Seb
As a Koivu fan, this article is like a candy

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 06:34 PM
TheCH*

Why the hell are people taking about Koivu being so superior in the playoffs? They are both good in the post season.
Kovalev has a cup with the rangers in an outstanding post season performance, and scored 31 points in 33 games in the playoffs for the habs, nothing wrong with that. Kovalev also led the habs to their best season in decades!

I don't understand why people always take sides when it comes to them, there is enough love to go around for both these guys!

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 06:40 PM
nerdman60

I love Koivu and he's been my favourite player for many years now, but why does everything good Koivu do has to come at the expense of what Kovalev doesn't do?

Alex Kovalev is a ridiculously talented player and because of his great skill can change a game, granted he can dissapear at times and give the impression that he doesn't care, but that's what you get with Kovalev and people should have known that when he signed and not expect him to be different.

Bottom line: Koivu=less skilled,all heart. Kovalev=tons of skill, less heart. Pick your poison. That's the way they are live with it.

nerdman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 07:52 PM
WhiskeySeven
Bustchenyuk

Jack Todd is a hack, and he's being so obnoxious.

Talk about false facts, I am not a Kovalev fan by any means but what does Kovalev have to do with Koivu's status with the Canadiens? Why did Todd have to (without merit, mind you) compare something as subjective as "effort and heart" when he obviously has a bias?

To me, even when he seems off his game, Kovalev gives an effort. He just doesn't have the hockey-sense to apply his effort properly and it ends up in turnovers, bad plays and bad shots. That's Kovalev's issue with his ability and mental game not his heart. I've seen Koivu dog it just as much as I've seen Kovalev dog it. Stop being children, Koivu was done in Montreal and it came a year or two too late IMO.

Jack Todd took a popular opinion and is pulling at heartstrings way after the fact, when nostalgia has kicked in and no one would think to say "... Wait a minute... Why are you writing this now? It's right before our new season with a new team and a fresh start?"

Memo to Jack Todd: No one cares.
Koivu's ability, heart, vision, strength or anything are not related to Le Club du Hockey Canadiens any longer. He won't be returning ever again as a player and we are turning a new leaf from over a decade of mediocrity, which isn't directly because of him but given the fact that we had 100% turnover ASIDE from Koivu, he has to shoulder some of the burden too.

**** Jack Todd and **** his populist grovelling, he's just a horrible writer and is among the Rejean Tremblays of Montreal columnists in my opinion.

Oh and **** Koivu fanatics who can't get a grip, I saw a post in the Ducks forum where a supposed Habs fan said "oh now I want Koivu to win and to beat the Habs". I hope you break your ankles jumping off the bandwagon.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 08:00 PM
sweat

I don't post all that much, but I will take the time to say I agree with the main point of the article, I was stunned so many people were desperate to keep kovalev, and completely dismissed Koivu. I am excited for the season, but saddened that koivu won't be a part of it.

sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 08:23 PM
havok78

..I haven`t read a Todd article in like 5 years, this one was actually good!

havok78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 08:25 PM
Iwishihadacup

excellent article

but I am happy that Koivu found a plce in the NHL

Iwishihadacup is online now   Reply With Quote