HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Unlike Kovalev, Koivu gave Habs fans his best every shift

Old
09-28-2009, 09:27 PM
Frankenheimer

vCash: 500
Agreed with both points made in that article. Koivu wasn't shown enough respect and Halak should be the starter.

Frankenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 09:32 PM
Shinsuke Nakamura
King of Strong Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenheimer View Post
Halak should be the starter.
No he shouldn't.

Shinsuke Nakamura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 09:33 PM
MTL-rules

It's great how everyone didn't mention de Carey Price part... which I also agree with.

Anyway, Koivu was a solid player for a team who hasn't had a great offensive player for ages.

MTL-rules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 09:38 PM
Blame Subban
Galchenyuk

This, again?!

Seriously people, get over it. First game of the season is on thursday and people are still talking about how great Koivu was. Face it, he never was and never will be a #1 centre. His jersey will not be retired. He is a great person, a good player and all but... He. Is. Gone. So, instead of talking about our new players and a almost all-new Canadiens team, let's keep talking about Kovalev vs. Koivu.

Blame Subban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 09:42 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
As a Koivu fan, this article is like a candy
As a Koivu fan, that article was like pointless whining.

A couple sleeps away from the new-look Canadiens hitting the ice for the first time, and we're getting re-runs about all the garbage of the past

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 09:52 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLapierre View Post
Jack Todd is a hack, and he's being so obnoxious.

Talk about false facts, I am not a Kovalev fan by any means but what does Kovalev have to do with Koivu's status with the Canadiens? Why did Todd have to (without merit, mind you) compare something as subjective as "effort and heart" when he obviously has a bias?

To me, even when he seems off his game, Kovalev gives an effort. He just doesn't have the hockey-sense to apply his effort properly and it ends up in turnovers, bad plays and bad shots. That's Kovalev's issue with his ability and mental game not his heart. I've seen Koivu dog it just as much as I've seen Kovalev dog it. Stop being children, Koivu was done in Montreal and it came a year or two too late IMO.

Jack Todd took a popular opinion and is pulling at heartstrings way after the fact, when nostalgia has kicked in and no one would think to say "... Wait a minute... Why are you writing this now? It's right before our new season with a new team and a fresh start?"

Memo to Jack Todd: No one cares.
Koivu's ability, heart, vision, strength or anything are not related to Le Club du Hockey Canadiens any longer. He won't be returning ever again as a player and we are turning a new leaf from over a decade of mediocrity, which isn't directly because of him but given the fact that we had 100% turnover ASIDE from Koivu, he has to shoulder some of the burden too.

**** Jack Todd and **** his populist grovelling, he's just a horrible writer and is among the Rejean Tremblays of Montreal columnists in my opinion.

Oh and **** Koivu fanatics who can't get a grip, I saw a post in the Ducks forum where a supposed Habs fan said "oh now I want Koivu to win and to beat the Habs". I hope you break your ankles jumping off the bandwagon.
You've been ripping koivu for a long time buddy, don't make it seem like this is about people who can't deal with him being gone. They could, but there's certain people who couldn't deal with a good man being around, that's the problem.

People compare the two because people suggested kovalev should be captain and people rallied for one, not the other. I'm not sure if there's supposed to be some unwritten rule not to compare two highly recognized players in mtl?

Jack todd is wayyyyy too late, doesn't mean he's wrong. Anyway, jack is just stirring **** for no reason, as you're right, the new team is here and we start the season very soon, he had 3 months to write this article.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 09:57 PM
number 11

wow, jack todd wrote this? great read and every bit true.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 10:02 PM
Ross MacLochness

There's a reason I still have a Koivu avatar. Not because I want him back or that I'm pissed at Gainey for letting him go, it's to honour a great guy who gave everything he had to this franchise for 15 years. And also because I can't believe how little fanfare he left town with this summer. Meanwhile you've got a bunch of retards singing and dancing out front of the bell center clamoring to bring back Kovalev, someone who had to be told to stay away from his teammates. **** Kovalev.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 10:02 PM
Turboflex*

Somebody must've told jack todd that koivu was a good hockey player cuz hack todd doesn't know anything about sports

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 10:16 PM
vinvin621

Koivu will be back next year as our 2nd line center after Gainey letting Plekanec go on UFA.

vinvin621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 11:13 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriscomikCammagiomez View Post
This, again?!

Seriously people, get over it. First game of the season is on thursday and people are still talking about how great Koivu was. Face it, he never was and never will be a #1 centre. His jersey will not be retired. He is a great person, a good player and all but... He. Is. Gone. So, instead of talking about our new players and a almost all-new Canadiens team, let's keep talking about Kovalev vs. Koivu.
Your avatar really is awesome, I hated that Leafs ad.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 12:34 AM
Jedrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat View Post
I don't post all that much, but I will take the time to say I agree with the main point of the article, I was stunned so many people were desperate to keep kovalev, and completely dismissed Koivu. I am excited for the season, but saddened that koivu won't be a part of it.
For the record I do actually agree that Koivu has been underappreciated in Montreal, but it is what it is, and he's gone now. But I guess I wasn't prepared to stomach a Jack Todd article in order to have my own opinion told to me, months and years after I've already formed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post

A couple sleeps away from the new-look Canadiens hitting the ice for the first time, and we're getting re-runs about all the garbage of the past
Agreed. It's game on time.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 01:17 AM
Habs 1909

I have yet to read another Jack Todd article ever since he predicted that the Als would win off a missed field goal attempt by the opposing team, and then the kicker made it in the final seconds.

This man writes pure nonsense.

Habs 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 04:16 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Sometimes, you dont know what you had until its gone.

Saku was a hab from 95-09. I think the long jevity played a part in the fans taking him a little bit for granted. Anyways, I think the fans will soon realize that he's actually gone, and the hole it leaves in the community, if not in the locker room or on the ice.

By the time he comes back to the bell centre, I think he will be welcomed like a king.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 09:57 AM
smon

I always liked Koivu. And he was far more valuable to this franchise than Kovalev ever was. That rally to re-sign Kovalev was ridiculous.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 10:21 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post

Saku was a hab from 95-09. I think the long jevity played a part in the fans taking him a little bit for granted. Anyways, I think the fans will soon realize that he's actually gone, and the hole it leaves in the community, if not in the locker room or on the ice.

By the time he comes back to the bell centre, I think he will be welcomed like a king.
I agree, he will be cheered long and hard when he does return. But long jevity? As opposed to short jevity?

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 10:31 AM
RaMMuT
Tank Nation 2012

To be honest it was very disrespectful of the fans to koivu im with him on that one, the last 2 years people just stopped appreciating koivu and wanted a new captain. And for the crazy montreal fans they wanted Kovalev to replace Koivu as captain this is why they rallied infront of the bell center because they want a new captain.

However, I think Koivu will always be remembered by the true hockey fans and I wish him all the best in the pursue of his career with the ducks I think they are an awesome team and he deserves to be around people that at least show him some appreciation and respect.

Koivu at the end of last season it was clear that he waas going to change teams I mean nobody gave a ******* about him nomore...

RaMMuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 11:05 AM
Turboflex*

Whatever issues last few years are debatable to some, NO ONE (not the biggest idiot Koivu basher) can deny that Saku CARRIED the team to 2 EPIC playoff series upset wins over Boston, where he personally outplayed Bruins superstar Joe Thorton and was leading the team in the series against the SC champ Hurricanes until he was high sticked and the wheels came off the team.

Koivu is going to be FANTASTIC with the Ducks this year and they're gonna be west conf. champions next June, book it. I would not want to be in playoff series and spending 40 mins per game matched against either Getzlaf line or Saku-Teemu duo.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 11:17 AM
Joe Cole

I always liked Saku, and still do, regardless of what temperature the water was on any given day.... but as for Jack Todd....

Is it just me or is it coincidence that Todd writes a piece praising a player just days after he was directly pointed out by Brisebois as being a troublemaker? Sounds like self PR, no?

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
I always liked Saku, and still do, regardless of what temperature the water was on any given day.... but as for Jack Todd....

Is it just me or is it coincidence that Todd writes a piece praising a player just days after he was directly pointed out by Brisebois as being a troublemaker? Sounds like self PR, no?
What is particularly distasteful is this :
Quote:
Let's call a spade a spade here: Koivu's treatment by a segment of the fans and media in this community was a disgrace.
... as if Todd's treatment of Brisebois wasn't just as disgraceful. What a hypocrite.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 11:36 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
I agree, he will be cheered long and hard when he does return. But long jevity? As opposed to short jevity?
Great. There goes my second cup!

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 02:01 PM
Jedrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post

I might be off base to a degree on this, but I think that a lot of the younger fans (now in their teens/early 20s) were too young to have had to sit through the really dark days when Koivu was, on many nights, the only good reason to watch during the 90s. I think that might have something to do -- like I said, to a certain extent, not universally -- with why he essentially left here unnoticed.

Quote:
... as if Todd's treatment of Brisebois wasn't just as disgraceful. What a hypocrite.
Yeah I think I remember him really running with the Breeze-by title in the early going of Brisebois' troubles here. Don't know the rest of the details. I honestly really don't know what audience there is for that kind of columnist. But clearly enough people think he's relevant if he's still got a job.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 03:45 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post

music to my hears.

I always wonder why kovalev fans are treated like morons because they like him ... especially when it has nothing to do with koivu. Somehow...its impossible to talk about one without talking about the other... somehow on this board... if you say you like kovalev means you hate koivu. What's even better is that both are gone ... koivu aint comming back ...get that in your head. You still have a couple of days before it starts...

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 04:07 PM
mcphee

Quote:
What is particularly distasteful is this :

The man's never written an article that wasn't self serving in some way. Sadly, purely on ability, the guy can write but chooses to serve up that crap.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 04:15 PM
icerocket

The draft dodger is just doing his best french media impersonation. Between this article and the "Begin and Bouillon weren't treated fairly" article, hack is just trying to stir the pot.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote