HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

I'd Like to try Goaltending

Old
10-10-2009, 07:24 PM
jcole2

vCash: 500
I'd Like to try Goaltending

I live south of Boston and I am a very new hockey player (about 1 year) and I would like to try being a goalie, but I don't want to throw down the cash for my own goalie equipment until I know that it is something that I want to do. Does anybody know of any beginner goalie clinics in the area that provides equipment, or is there some sort of program somewhere that I could rent some? Thanks for all of your help.

jcole2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 10:21 PM
Hockeyfan68

You may be hard pressed in finding equipment for rental to play goal. I'm not saying there isn't but I would find it odd considering all the sweat and the wear and tear on the stuff not to mention the fit of the equipment which takes break-in time for one specific person.

Maybe you could find someone you know with a more universal fit gear type like street hockey goal gear by Franklin or something. Try that out playing street hockey with people .... while not the same as ice hockey obviously it may give you an idea if playing goal is something you would even like to begin with.

Just a thought.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 11:36 AM
hockeystud938

you could try getting a cheap set on ebay or craigslist

hockeystud938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 01:59 PM
Ashe

I was able to get my equipment 450 when i started 2.5 years ago.
i found some older pads (20002) and a glove that had flex, and a blocker that wasnt destroyed. all on ebay or a local used sports store.

You are looking at roughly.

80pads
40glove
40blocker
80stick
80-100skates
50-80can
80chest protector
If you have your helmet, buy a cage and domic hasek style it for the first bit as its cheaper then buying a helmet.

I suggest giving it a shot if you find a team who needs one. It doesnt hurt, and its only money, plus you can flip it on ebay if you'd like

Do you have any previous experience playing baseball? If so you can cheat a lot starting as a goalie. im still new at goaltending, and actually went out and spent a pretty penny after my first year and enjoyed it.

Note : I had no prior hockey experiance up until i started playing goal. I couldnt skate, nor could i shoot a puck. The thing that helped me was backcatching experience (ie cheating to give a giant glove side open). You need to be flexible, and understand angles, and not be scared to suck terribley at the start. I went from allowing 14 goals in my debut, to holding a 1-1 tie in triple overtime in the last game of the season for playoffs.

Its a journey becoming a goalie, but the effort is definitely worth it..if your body can hold up.

Ashe is offline   Reply With Quote