HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

GDT: Flames @ Canucks l Gm.1 l 5-3 Nucks Win

Closed Thread

Old
04-08-2004, 12:17 AM
PhillyNucksFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeeye
Kiprusoff was run several times as well. But the game is over. Take your W, skate to the bench. Personally, I'm disapointed that Nilson didnt send him to the dentist after that. Very low class from Cloutier, but what I expect out of the Canucks.

And yes, Vancouver only won because of the powerplay. Can't take any credit from the Canucks, but fact is, Calgary controlled the game when the teams were at even strength. If the game is called in typical playoff fashion, the Flames have a much better shot at winning. The number of powerplays does not change that.

I guess Flames are a better skilled club than the Canucks then, since they controled most of the 5 on 5 player. :lol

I wonder why they are still in the bottom half of the NHL scoring with so much skill.

PS. I hope you do have the brain to realize that flames had 40% more PP chances than the Canucks, whiling having 2 2 men advantages with total minutes of more than 2.00 minutes.

I dont get how can flames fan gets so cocky for making the playoff for the first time in 8 years.

Old
04-08-2004, 12:18 AM
Rotting Corpse*

Send a message via AIM to Rotting Corpse* Send a message via MSN to Rotting Corpse*
Quote:
Kiprusoff was run several times as well. But the game is over. Take your W, skate to the bench. Personally, I'm disapointed that Nilson didnt send him to the dentist after that. Very low class from Cloutier,
Like I said, when are all hockey players supposed to be classy? This is *** hockey man.

Quote:
And yes, Vancouver only won because of the powerplay. Can't take any credit from the Canucks, but fact is, Calgary controlled the game when the teams were at even strength. If the game is called in typical playoff fashion, the Flames have a much better shot at winning. The number of powerplays does not change that.
If the refs call a normal game, you guys don't have 10 PPs. Why are you whining when you had nearly double the amount of PP minutes than the Canucks?

Old
thestonedkoala

vCash:
WOOT! Go Canucks go!

(I am definitely going to be killed by every other team in the NW conference after announcing that)

Old
incawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNucksFan
I guess Flames are a better skilled club than the Canucks then, since they controled most of the 5 on 5 player. :lol

I wonder why they are still in the bottom half of the NHL scoring with so much skill.

Don't you read the calgary papers? Obviously calgary is the superior team.

Old
04-08-2004, 12:19 AM
VO #23

Vancouver's special teams were the difference (not to sound like Greg Millen). They were deadly on the PP and excellent on the PK, especially the two-man advantage late in the third.

Calgary was fine at even-strength I thought, they now just have to keep out of the box. Hopefully the Flames can pull off the split on Friday, I have faith that Sutter can make the necessary adjustments to pull out a squeaker.

Old
04-08-2004, 12:21 AM
PhillyNucksFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by incawg
Don't you read the calgary papers? Obviously calgary is the superior team.

I did, read a couple, and both of them claiming the Flamers superior defense will shut down the Canucks, while canucks D corp running around like kids.

Oh ya, did I say some of them even predicted Flames in 5 or 6!? Well, I guess The Next Roy will have to win 4 straight shutouts!

:lol

OH ya, I think they also mentioned about Iginla being the next Gretzky. I mean, sure Iggy is great, no question, the next Gretzky!?

:lol

Old
04-08-2004, 12:21 AM
PecaFan

Reffing wasn't great, but have never seen the need for everyone to dwell on it. Sometimes you get great reffing, sometimes you get crappy reffing. Sometimes you benefit from the calls, sometimes the other team does. C'est la vie, just move on, and talk about the performances of the players.

Old
04-08-2004, 12:22 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
PS. I hope you do have the brain to realize that flames had 40% more PP chances than the Canucks, whiling having 2 2 men advantages with total minutes of more than 2.00 minutes.

They actually had 66.6% more PP chances.

Old
04-08-2004, 12:23 AM
OMA

Quote:

I dont get how can flames fan gets so cocky for making the playoff for the first time in 8 years.
What does skill have to do with controlling the game? Calgary cycled the puck in Vancouver's zone for the majority of 5-on-5 play. That had nothing to do with skill, that was hard work.

Calgary scored 1 more goal than Vancouver did after the All-Star Break and Vancouver's is EASILY the superior team in terms of skill.

Vancouver did win this game because of their special teams. Calgary lost because of theirs.

Nobody's discounting what Vancouver did. It's just frustrating to see a game decided by the zebras.

Remember that we Calgary fans have been waiting 8 years for this. A loss is ok, but we didn't wait 8 years for a game like that!

Old
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Christ... Canuck fans must be the most idiotic clowns on earth.

We aren't the one's calling the other teams fans...'idiotic clowns'...classy stuff.

Old
ZombieMatt

Quote:
Kiprusoff was run several times as well. But the game is over. Take your W, skate to the bench. Personally, I'm disapointed that Nilson didnt send him to the dentist after that. Very low class from Cloutier, but what I expect out of the Canucks.

In fairness, the likelihood of Nilson sending Cloutier to the dentist is, well, minute.

I'm not trying to start a flame war, just think of the practicality of what you just said. Nilson is not a fighter, at all, while Cloutier has a reputation for being a very competant fighter. Chances are most people would take Cloutier in that fight.

As for the class comment, I think that was unnecessary. The witch hunt is over.

Old
Rotting Corpse*

Send a message via AIM to Rotting Corpse* Send a message via MSN to Rotting Corpse*
Quote:
Originally Posted by VO #23
Vancouver's special teams were the difference (not to sound like Greg Millen). They were deadly on the PP and excellent on the PK, especially the two-man advantage late in the third.

Calgary was fine at even-strength I thought, they now just have to keep out of the box. Hopefully the Flames can pull off the split on Friday, I have faith that Sutter can make the necessary adjustments to pull out a squeaker.
I'm (obviously) a Canuck fan, but if I was Sutter I would certainly consider benching Ville Niemenen. Some dumb, dumb penalties by him.

Old
PhillyNucksFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2
They actually had 66.6% more PP chances.
Err, I should retake my grade 10 math...

Old
Snakeeye

Mizral Edit: Last warning, Snakeeye.

Old
04-08-2004, 12:26 AM
PhillyNucksFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMA
What does skill have to do with controlling the game? Calgary cycled the puck in Vancouver's zone for the majority of 5-on-5 play. That had nothing to do with skill, that was hard work.

Calgary scored 1 more goal than Vancouver did after the All-Star Break and Vancouver's is EASILY the superior team in terms of skill.

Vancouver did win this game because of their special teams. Calgary lost because of theirs.

Nobody's discounting what Vancouver did. It's just frustrating to see a game decided by the zebras.

Remember that we Calgary fans have been waiting 8 years for this. A loss is ok, but we didn't wait 8 years for a game like that!

The problem here is you flames fan think too high of your team.

12 players making playoff debut tonight!?
Your special team sucked tonight?

Then you fans still trying to find an excuse to write down Canucks win, making it sound like, without special teams, Canucks wouldnt have won?

5 on 5 wise, I will take Canucks over Flames any day, on paper anyway.

Flames scored 1 more G than the Canucks in the 2nd half?

Wow, what an accomplishment to score "one" more goal than the Canucks.

Old
04-08-2004, 12:27 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Err, I should retake my grade 10 math...

Put it down to being euphoricly drunk!

Old
Rotting Corpse*

Well, my post appears to be deleted. That's cool.

Snakeeye, you said this:

Quote:
If the game is called in typical playoff fashion, the Flames have a much better shot at winning.
Read: "We lost because the refs sucked"

Old
Edler Von Gud

Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
The Canucks won this game, despite not playing great. Think of it this way, what happens when the Canucks play better next game if they win 5-3 even though they didn't play that well?

Old
ArtG

Quote:
Mizral Edit: Last warning, Snakeeye.
Try looking at 5 on 5 stats during the regular season, the goal differential is about +30 for Vancouver. On the other hand, the regular season means jack -- look at Kipprusoff..

EDIT: doh u ruined my post Mizral..

what he said was that the flames were better 5on5..

Old
04-08-2004, 12:29 AM
Heaton
||||||||||||||||||||

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
We'll just have to see if you can finally manage to get past the 2nd round with Cloutier in net

Old
04-08-2004, 12:29 AM
PhillyNucksFan

Ryan, its ok. Give the kid a break and let him go home with some positives, because their Patrick Roy just allowed 5 goals tonight, especially when their "superior" defensive corp is on their games.

Old
04-08-2004, 12:31 AM
Rotting Corpse*

Darryl Sutter is criticizing Jarome Iginla in the post game thing.

I don't think that's fair at all, I thought he was Calgary's best player.

Old
04-08-2004, 12:32 AM
PhillyNucksFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Ryan
Darryl Sutter is criticizing Jarome Iginla in the post game thing.

I don't think that's fair at all, I thought he was Calgary's best player.

I think he is trying to his star even more fired up.

After all, he IS a flame.

ok, bad joke.

Anyway, did Sutter mention about "inexperience"?
Didnt someone in here just said "inexperience has nothing to do with it?"

Old
04-08-2004, 12:33 AM
RandV
It's a wolf

Well, so much for Kiprusoff being this years Giguere
(he can still pick it up, but Giguere was consistantly unbeatable)

And about Calgary controlling the 5 on 5... I don't know, I'm not gonna comment on it either way, but one thing I do know, is that in games like this when it's penalty after penalty, it can really disrupt the Canucks 5 on 5 play. Just saying that Calgary may not have dominated the game if there were less penalties... although really 6 PP's is a fairly standard number for a game, unlike the 10 against the Canucks, take away the phantom calls and add the non-calls, and you'll still end up with about 6 penalties against.

Old
04-08-2004, 12:33 AM
Rotting Corpse*

Quote:
Ryan, its ok. Give the kid a break and let him go home with some positives, because their Patrick Roy just allowed 5 goals tonight, especially when their "superior" defensive corp is on their games.

Ok, I'll let it go I guess.

I just can't stand teams blaming losses on "zebras" when they had the benefit of the calls.

I mean, if they go 5-10 on the PP and the Canucks go 1-6, their attitudes would certainly different, wouldn't you say?

Closed Thread