HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who Will Be This Year's Unmerited/Undeserved Whipping Boy?

View Poll Results: This Year's Umerited Whipping Boy Will Be...?
Stralman (PP quarterback) 7 9.33%
Modin (Injuries) 19 25.33%
Chimera (Past offsides) 8 10.67%
Huselius (Goalposts) 8 10.67%
Klesla (Returning Champion) 14 18.67%
Other (explain below) 19 25.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-29-2009, 07:57 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Who Will Be This Year's Unmerited/Undeserved Whipping Boy?

We've figured out many of the critical roster positions so far this year, but one thing that hasn't been determined is the team scapegoat - the one fans always blame whenever something goes wrong, in stark defiance of rational thought and common sense.

So, who's it going to be? Will it be...
  • New Power Play QB Anton Stralman, who now holds a position of unrealistically lofty expectations that have doomed the likes of Backman and Hainsey before him?
  • Occasional third-line winger Fredrik Modin, whose good performances between injuries will be completely ignored in favor of "he's constantly injured"?
  • Regular favorite Jason Chimera, who may have some trouble keeping up this year due to top-6 depth but nonetheless is still remembered for early days filled with regular offsides calls?
  • First line winger Kristian Huselius, who is remembered more for his goalposts than for his points scored?
  • Perennial whipping boy favorite Rostislav Klesla, still inexplicably seen as the team's worst defenseman for reasons that can only ever be understood by his legions of largely undereducated haters?
  • Or could it be someone else entirely? The vagaries of irrational hate are wild and unpredictable sometimes, and occasionally unexpected players can rise up and claim positions of scapegoatdom unexpectedly. Be sure to explain who you think it will be below!
Go out and vote!

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 08:08 AM
5StringBuzz

I'm going with Klesla, largely based on history. This board would have traded him every day over the last few years.

I would have picked "Other," for Filatov, who seemed to be running strong in this category throughout camp, but got stuck on the word "unmerited." I predict the "merit" of his criticism will be the subject of hot debate all season.

5StringBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 08:27 AM
Casework

I think it'll be Chimera. I feel like people have kind of moved on. We have players that are younger, cheaper, and maybe better (Calvert, Picard) but we're stuck.

I don't see any way he comes close to the success he had at the start of the last year because he will be expected to fulfill a checking role.

This could be a frustrating year for everyone in that regard.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 08:30 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA28Flyer View Post
I'm going with Klesla, largely based on history. This board would have traded him every day over the last few years.

I would have picked "Other," for Filatov, who seemed to be running strong in this category throughout camp, but got stuck on the word "unmerited." I predict the "merit" of his criticism will be the subject of hot debate all season.
That's pretty much exactly my perspective on the situation. GET OUT OF MY BRAIN

Old
09-29-2009, 08:33 AM
LaCosta Nostra

I voted Modin, but feel it may tip to Chimera. Whichever one of the guys seems the most oft injured will get the brunt of it. And if history is any clue, it will be Modin for sure.

LaCosta Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 08:36 AM
Skraut

JacketFAN

His production has been down lately, and if he keeps this up he'll end up getting edged out by Matthew

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 09:05 AM
Aging Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
JacketFAN

His production has been down lately, and if he keeps this up he'll end up getting edged out by Matthew

Aging Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 09:11 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Many of us are of the "oh, look, shiny, new" persuasion, so the older guys whose faults we know will be the focus of displeasure over the new kids who we're willing to give a break. Thus, Modin (my vote, by the way), Chimmer, and Klesla will have to have big years to get out from under the blanket of woe being tossed on them. Juice and Niki have their detractors, but haven't descended to the realm of Whipping Boys, as of now. The potential is there, though, they'll just have to be a bit more disappointing for a bit longer to qualify!

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 09:21 AM
eljefe72

I say Boll. I've noticed a large upswing in criticism of his play and his relevancy to this team.

eljefe72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 09:32 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Just bought a new

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Filatov.

Because...
-expectations are far too high.
-He's Russian. And all Russians are Zherdevs in disguise.
-He gave an interview to Sovsports (Russian Press=Lindsay Kramer with a bit of nationalistic flair) in which people completely ignored the second half of an answer to a question.
Quote:
Speaking the language of finance, your stock should go up before you sell it. When you start playing like Ovechkin you will make $9-$10 million per season.
I am not even thinking about the money. I am just 19! Everything will depend on my game. If I end up in the farm team or on the bench, it would be one thing. Then you can start thinking about the KHL. Simply because I [would not be] playing hockey. But right now my aspiration is that I must break into the NHL and play the entire season there. Also the moral side of the question is important. I don't want to lie to Columbus who I have a valid contract with. Everyone treats me really well. I hope I will play for that team
(Seriously folks, what's wrong with a guy who doesn't want to sit in the Press Box?)

09-29-2009, 09:41 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Filatov.

Because...
-expectations are far too high.
-He's Russian. And all Russians are Zherdevs in disguise.
-He gave an interview to Sovsports (Russian Press=Lindsay Kramer with a bit of nationalistic flair) in which people completely ignored the second half of an answer to a question.

(Seriously folks, what's wrong with a guy who doesn't want to sit in the Press Box?)
Worse. All Russians are secretly Zherdevs (lazy) and Svitovs (homesick).

I probably should've put him up as a poll option, but decided against it because he's got too many positive fanboys and fangirls, so I didn't think he'd realistically qualify. Oops.

Old
09-29-2009, 10:02 AM
cbjpointman
It begins here

Afraid I've got to go with Russell. Since he's not 6'4, 240 lbs, he cant play defense in the NHL or on a Hitchcock team. In the post lockout NHL, skating skills and vision just won't hold a roster spot.

Not to mention we just signed Stralman, so Russ is now a smaller duplicate.

cbjpointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 10:03 AM
LetsGOJackets!!

Voted Modin..

wanted the guy that won the cup.. great hard driving sniper... bangs in front of the net..

not the broken down, often hurt guy we got.. haven't seen him offer any of his money back when he only plays a 1/4 of each year.

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 10:15 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGOJackets!! View Post
wanted the guy that won the cup.. great hard driving sniper... bangs in front of the net..

not the broken down, often hurt guy we got.. haven't seen him offer any of his money back when he only plays a 1/4 of each year.
Keep in mind that he's not on vacation the other 3/4 of the season, he's rehabbing an injury he received on the ice while playing for the CBJ! I agree that we haven't gotten what we hoped from him, but I think some of the criticism is a tad harsh. I'd love to see him recapture the form he had even three years ago; but, like you, I'm not hopeful that will happen.

Old
hashmarks

Boll or Russell.

People don't see the value of Boll and Russell needs to start being a point producing player otherwise what is he?

The thing is, neither (or is it either??) of these arguments will be without merit. Both guys need to be better. In fact, Russell even moreso than Boll because Boll still has that element of physicality that has other teams HATING to play vs. him. That at least might get the other team to lose some focus and play while looking over their shoulder which helps us. When Russell is timid and makes soft plays with the puck, he does very little to help us.

Filatov will never be a whipping boy. There are far too many people who are mesmorized by his skill, speed and flash and will only look to the pretty goals he scores and not how many times he gets pushed off the puck, closed off, or just swings by his check instead of stopping and competing on it. We have already seen a sampling of this in pre-season and most of the defenders didn't even see him play but for the Boston game (if even that).

To state reality on his play is to be a hater...or even a racist. He is loved by many early on and because he does interviews and smiles nicely he is pretty much the golden boy.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Saad Panda

Gut feeling says Mason, even though I think he's gonna continue on from last year. If he struggles at all people will get on him though.

But since Samkow mentioned Filatov, I may have to hop on that.

Saad Panda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 10:24 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post
To state reality on his play is to be a hater...or even a racist. He is loved by many early on and because he does interviews and smiles nicely he is pretty much the golden boy.
And to state that he's "loved" only because he does interviews and smiles is, what, cogent commentary? Come on, hashmarks, opinions can differ without that kind of flawed reasoning. Of course he has some problems on the ice, he's 19! But, as you've acknowledged in other posts, he has an enormous upside and brings skills to the team that are unlike almost anyone else on the roster. Plus, as you've also said, he's much more popular in the locker room and much better acculturated than his, perhaps, equally talented Russian predecessor.

To state reality, Hitchcock and Howson seem to think he's ready to play in the NHL. They must like his smile, too!

Old
09-29-2009, 10:33 AM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
And to state that he's "loved" only because he does interviews and smiles is, what, cogent commentary? Come on, hashmarks, opinions can differ without that kind of flawed reasoning. Of course he has some problems on the ice, he's 19! But, as you've acknowledged in other posts, he has an enormous upside and brings skills to the team that are unlike almost anyone else on the roster. Plus, as you've also said, he's much more popular in the locker room and much better acculturated than his, perhaps, equally talented Russian predecessor.
His smile goes along with the very limited time most people have seen him play. Lots of youtube clips, a blocked shot at the world jr. and his hattrick is what a LOT of people go by. (By the way, youtube clips of players usually are all about the flashy move). Nor did I ever try to compare him to Zherdev. I know he is well liked in the locker room, that is a good thing, but that isn't a major reason to love the guy. I want them all to love each other, but if they hate each other but make sacrifices on the ice for each other, what does it matter if they all sing kumbaya afterwards? (I know it is hyperbolic on both sides of the 'hate' and 'kumbaya' but I think you will get my point).

I didn't say that he is 'only' loved because he smiles and does interviews did I? So, if you reread my post, I don't think the reasoning is as flawed as you are insinuating.

Quote:
To state reality, Hitchcock and Howson seem to think he's ready to play in the NHL. They must like his smile, too!
Let's not get carried away. Hitchcock admitted that it was sketchy until his last two pre-season games, but in reality what would sending him to Syracuse do to Filatov's overall value? I think he showed a lot of promise in the last two games, but still needs to do more to be a dependable player. No doubt he is only 19 and Hitch will bring him up right and his speed and skills are NHL calibre, they were last year too. If this kid wasn't our first round pick (ala Mayorov) and if all of the NHL weren't watching what happens to little Nikki Filatov, there is no doubt in my mind that he gets sent down.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 10:38 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

May I go with F, all of the above?

Stralman (PP quarterback) because the expectations are very high now for a 23 year old defenseman who has never played a full season in the NHL.

Modin (Injuries) What? He's already injured?

Chimera (Past offsides) Surely a guy that fast could somehow get his brain to catch up!
Huselius (Goalposts) We pay that guy how much? He's soft and all he can do is hit posts, he's afraid to shoot and overpasses.

Klesla Dougie promised us that by now Rusty would be better than Lidstrom, he's not better than Daryl Sidor!

Other explain below

Filatov- he's too soft, too small and he's not a center. Trade him for a bag of pucks!

Nash-(channeling Subjugator) lazy, lazy, lazy, he couldn't lead a Cub Scout pack. Freakin floater. I'm not giving this team any more money to watch this jerk.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 10:53 AM
Macster

My vote goes to other, because I never saw the need for a whipping boy. I'm not saying I believe in blind fandom, where you have to like everybody, but I don't believe in singling out a player to get flamed on.

Root for guys when they are struggling, hope they can turn things around. That's how I operate anyway.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 11:00 AM
Aging Goalie

Klesla will take the heat as usual. Reason will really be, despite what they claim, that some posters are still ticked that they drank from the kool aid and believed the claims made when he was drafted and then not allowed to develop properly.

Old
09-29-2009, 11:03 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Great thread, I agree with Samkow-Filatov (other).

I think the golden boy label will pop up whenever he makes a mistake or has a bad game. On the positive side I think some of the Russian issues are wearing off. It will be hard for Filatov to shine in a universal way regardless of what he does. For some, silence after having a good game will be the best he’ll get. One mistake and the whips will be cracking…

After him it will be Klesla again, and again. The new guy Stralman will be third, if he shows signs of Mr. Backman the whips will come out. Juice could be fourth in the running, by me at least if he keeps missing the net.

Modin-nope, he's almost ignored anyway because he never plays. Nash-nope, he's paid his dues. Chimera-nope, his contract was premature and most are willing to wait him out because of it.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 11:06 AM
Matt Foley
Meh

I predict that the whipping boy this season will be that no-good, back-spasming, knee-straining, groin-pulling, head-injuring, flu-ridden, payroll-hog Fredrick Modin. Why, it's no wonder that he does commercials for Ohio Health - he's always spending time at one of their hospitals!!!

Matt Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 11:10 AM
Aging Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFoley View Post
I predict that the whipping boy this season will be that no-good, back-spasming, knee-straining, groin-pulling, head-injuring, flu-ridden, payroll-hog Fredrick Modin. Why, it's no wonder that he does commercials for Ohio Health - he's always spending time at one of their hospitals!!!

Trying to compete with Chevy Chase in Christmas vacation?

Old
09-29-2009, 11:13 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post
His smile goes along with the very limited time most people have seen him play. Lots of youtube clips, a blocked shot at the world jr. and his hattrick is what a LOT of people go by. (By the way, youtube clips of players usually are all about the flashy move). Nor did I ever try to compare him to Zherdev. I know he is well liked in the locker room, that is a good thing, but that isn't a major reason to love the guy. I want them all to love each other, but if they hate each other but make sacrifices on the ice for each other, what does it matter if they all sing kumbaya afterwards? (I know it is hyperbolic on both sides of the 'hate' and 'kumbaya' but I think you will get my point).
I do.

Quote:
I didn't say that he is 'only' loved because he smiles and does interviews did I? So, if you reread my post, I don't think the reasoning is as flawed as you are insinuating.
True, you did not.

Quote:
Let's not get carried away. Hitchcock admitted that it was sketchy until his last two pre-season games, but in reality what would sending him to Syracuse do to Filatov's overall value? I think he showed a lot of promise in the last two games, but still needs to do more to be a dependable player. No doubt he is only 19 and Hitch will bring him up right and his speed and skills are NHL calibre, they were last year too. If this kid wasn't our first round pick (ala Mayorov) and if all of the NHL weren't watching what happens to little Nikki Filatov, there is no doubt in my mind that he gets sent down.
I agree. My problem is not with your opinion, with which I am in general agreement, but with your attitude toward those who don't share it. You must, I'm sure, concede that not all of those who are high on Nikki are solely in love with his looks, nor do they all look at critcism of him as racist or hatred. Filatov is on the team, for whatever reasons, and his play will tell the tale. No doubt he'll have ups and downs, but, as long as Hitch is putting him on the ice, I'll have to believe he's helping this team progress. You're absolutely right, though, the rest of the league will be watching us closely to see if Hitchcock can bring out the best in one of the top prospects in the league. I happen to believe he will.