HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who Will Be This Year's Unmerited/Undeserved Whipping Boy?

View Poll Results: This Year's Umerited Whipping Boy Will Be...?
Stralman (PP quarterback) 7 9.33%
Modin (Injuries) 19 25.33%
Chimera (Past offsides) 8 10.67%
Huselius (Goalposts) 8 10.67%
Klesla (Returning Champion) 14 18.67%
Other (explain below) 19 25.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-29-2009, 11:32 AM
  #26
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby
 
Samkow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Detroit
Country: United States
Posts: 13,621
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post
Filatov will never be a whipping boy. There are far too many people who are mesmorized by his skill, speed and flash and will only look to the pretty goals he scores and not how many times he gets pushed off the puck, closed off, or just swings by his check instead of stopping and competing on it. We have already seen a sampling of this in pre-season and most of the defenders didn't even see him play but for the Boston game (if even that).

To state reality on his play is to be a hater...or even a racist. He is loved by many early on and because he does interviews and smiles nicely he is pretty much the golden boy.
So Filatov won't be the undeserved whipping boy...

but he's already a soft floater who's all style and no substance based on an average training camp and 2-3 sub-par preseason games?

Oh the ironing.

__________________
Truth should never get in the way of a good persecution complex.

Last edited by Samkow: 09-29-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Samkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 11:36 AM
  #27
hashmarks
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
I agree. My problem is not with your opinion, with which I am in general agreement, but with your attitude toward those who don't share it. You must, I'm sure, concede that not all of those who are high on Nikki are solely in love with his looks,
I thought we already clarified that!

The limited exposure that some of the most vocal Filatov supporters is what I have a problem with. That typically goes hand in hand with an inability to see where the issues in his game are. The lack of understanding and blindness to anything but the flash is where I have a problem. It isn't even with Filatov himself. He is a kid who has played in Russia his whole life. He has a lot to learn and I am with him every step of the way because the sooner he gets up to speed, the better it is going to be for the jackets. I am of the 'like the player, love the team' mentality.

Quote:
No doubt he'll have ups and downs, but, as long as Hitch is putting him on the ice, I'll have to believe he's helping this team progress. You're absolutely right, though, the rest of the league will be watching us closely to see if Hitchcock can bring out the best in one of the top prospects in the league. I happen to believe he will.
I agree, his skills are needed, but his skills (up until the last two pre-season games) were being overshadowed excessively by his ineffectiveness in other areas of the game, therefore, his skills weren't even being able to come to the surface.

If he can get up to a reasonable competitive level, bring it on Niki! but it doesn't mean that he doesn't have holes and they should be overlooked because he is a kid with mad skills and a nice smile

Contrary to what some may believe, I have no problem seeing the good in a player after I have pointed out the holes. Some, however, only see the flash and that is all they want to see....

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 11:38 AM
  #28
double shift filatov*
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 260
vCash: 500
Chimera. And I plan to do my part.


Nice guy, don't think he deserves to be playing in this league.

I won't get annoying about it though, I promise!

double shift filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 11:45 AM
  #29
IBleedUnionBlue
Registered User
 
IBleedUnionBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,123
vCash: 543
My pick is Klesla. I wasn't impressed with his play on Sunday.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 11:52 AM
  #30
plong123
Litebrite Stinger
 
plong123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Stretchrunston
Country: United States
Posts: 1,756
vCash: 500
OK, the thread title is "unmerited/undeserving" whipping boy, so I'm going to go off the radar and pick Methot. I think with the new acquisition he's going to be battling hard but won't get as many chances, might maybe get frustrated and make some dumb plays. Mind you, I don't think he will have a bad season, but he might be the target of some misguided web-slung hatred.

plong123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 11:54 AM
  #31
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,385
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
My vote goes to other, because I never saw the need for a whipping boy. I'm not saying I believe in blind fandom, where you have to like everybody, but I don't believe in singling out a player to get flamed on.

Root for guys when they are struggling, hope they can turn things around. That's how I operate anyway.
I'm not soliciting who you think should be picked on; I'm soliciting who you think will be picked on.

__________________
Remember - when you're a hockey fan, it's not "reckless driving", it's "good forechecking".
"Viqsi, you are our sweet humanist..." --mt-svk on the CBJ boards

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 12:03 PM
  #32
Inquiring Minds
Registered User
 
Inquiring Minds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Grandview, Ohio
Posts: 1,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
My vote goes to other, because I never saw the need for a whipping boy. I'm not saying I believe in blind fandom, where you have to like everybody, but I don't believe in singling out a player to get flamed on.

Root for guys when they are struggling, hope they can turn things around. That's how I operate anyway.
This.


Inquiring Minds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 12:08 PM
  #33
3 goals = chili
Registered User
 
3 goals = chili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,041
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to 3 goals = chili
Chimera...but because he will lead the team in two dubious categories

offsides AND shots on glass....therefore he is the whipping boy

3 goals = chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 12:08 PM
  #34
hashmarks
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
So Filatov won't be the undeserved whipping boy...

but he's already a soft floater who's all style and no substance based on an average training camp and 2-3 sub-par preseason games?
Um...yeah...that is what he was throughout camp up until a few days ago. Is there a problem with pointing that out after watching every game he has played? Show me where I stated that he will always be that.

Your post misses the point almost as bad as Hejda's shot...

Quote:
Oh the ironing.
What? You got it piling up or something?

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 12:14 PM
  #35
CapnCornelius
Registered User
 
CapnCornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
We've figured out many of the critical roster positions so far this year, but one thing that hasn't been determined is the team scapegoat - the one fans always blame whenever something goes wrong, in stark defiance of rational thought and common sense.

So, who's it going to be? Will it be...
  • New Power Play QB Anton Stralman, who now holds a position of unrealistically lofty expectations that have doomed the likes of Backman and Hainsey before him?
  • Occasional third-line winger Fredrik Modin, whose good performances between injuries will be completely ignored in favor of "he's constantly injured"?
  • Regular favorite Jason Chimera, who may have some trouble keeping up this year due to top-6 depth but nonetheless is still remembered for early days filled with regular offsides calls?
  • First line winger Kristian Huselius, who is remembered more for his goalposts than for his points scored?
  • Perennial whipping boy favorite Rostislav Klesla, still inexplicably seen as the team's worst defenseman for reasons that can only ever be understood by his legions of largely undereducated haters?
  • Or could it be someone else entirely? The vagaries of irrational hate are wild and unpredictable sometimes, and occasionally unexpected players can rise up and claim positions of scapegoatdom unexpectedly. Be sure to explain who you think it will be below!
Go out and vote!
You can throw out Modin straight off since his injury-prone nature makes the criticism more than merited at his salary. This was exGMDM's final mistake to hobble the team and thankfully this is the last year we are stuck with his contract...instead of the three picks we could have had from Brian Burke. Ugh.

You can throw out Chimera because to be a truly good whipping boy you have to be viewed as an important piece of the puzzle. That's why Zherdev was a perfect whipping boy. That's why Gilbert Brule was a good whipping boy. And even former Habs prospect extraordinaire Ron Hainsey was good for this reason. Chimera is nothing more than a footsoldier. For the same reason Raffi Torres doesn't make a good whipping boy even if he is oft injured. For that matter, its why Klesla isn't a good whipping boy--think back to when he was out, did you hear people crying "we would be so much better if Klesla would get his butt back"? No.

Anton Stralman is an interesting case. But I don't think there is much hype to him coming in and he's not making Backman money, so he'll probably be largely immune.

Which leaves the finalists...(3) Kristian Huselius (2) Kris Russell and (1)...Nikita Filatov.

Juice is a streaky player and with other players still on the upswing (i.e. Brassard, Voracek, and Filatov and arguably Umberger and Vermette) a slow start by Juice will lead to hand-wringing about his contract and the spot on the top 6 he's taking from arguably more-talented forwards. He's seen his points go down by 10 points two seasons straight...continuing this trend would be bad, particularly with his contract (2 more years after this one at $4.75 million). Juice wasn't the one who gave him his contract and he was second on the team in points last season. But that won't stop the hate train if Juice continues to clang posts more than he finds the back of the net.

Kris Russell is a perfect example of unjustified expectations doing in a player. Many around here have thought he'd be a power play Messiah since he was putting up ridiculous numbers in the WHL. With Anton Stralman as the shiny new toy and John Moore in their dreams, the children of Jacketsland may soon be putting Kris Russell in the pile of toys that can go to the Goodwill, even if he's in perfectly useable condition.

Which leads us to Nikita Filatov. Every word this kid says is read (and read into) three times over to determine if/when he'll be leaving for the KHL. No matter what he does, he can never earn a spot in the top 6 because he doesn't play the "right way." And should he end up in Hitch's dog house, the Hitch Tabernacle Choir will be quick to sing a song about the fallen angel and praise their Lord for smiting him for his sins. I sometimes wonder if its possible that he can put up 30 goals and still have certain segments of this board talk about what a horrible player he is and I'd say that the jury is still out on that. He's in pretty close to a no-win situation.

Honorable mentions--Jakub Voracek and Derek Brassard. Face it, anything akin to a sophomore slump (or another injury in the case of Brassard) would lead to threads questioning whether they are what people thought they would be (which again is sometimes unrealistic).

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 12:18 PM
  #36
Gulvorn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ohio St/Cincy/Dayton
Country: United States
Posts: 4,578
vCash: 500
I would have to go with Mason or Nash. The reason being they are probably the 2 most important players to our teams success. Nash is going to have to score a lot of goals, and Mason is going to have to make a lot of saves. It's going to be impossible for Mason to not have bad games where he gives up 4 or 5 plus goals, just like Nash is going to likely go weeks without scoring a goal. It's how the game works, and especially if no one else is stepping up to get us the wins, they'll be the ones most blamed because they are the most vital to the teams success.

The rest of the people on this list we have either come to expect to not deliver or are still too young to fully blame for the teams problems. The blame list always starts at the top of the paycheck and the goalie

Gulvorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 12:39 PM
  #37
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,168
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
You can throw out Modin straight off since his injury-prone nature makes the criticism more than merited at his salary. This was exGMDM's final mistake to hobble the team and thankfully this is the last year we are stuck with his contract...instead of the three picks we could have had from Brian Burke. Ugh.

You can throw out Chimera because to be a truly good whipping boy you have to be viewed as an important piece of the puzzle. That's why Zherdev was a perfect whipping boy. That's why Gilbert Brule was a good whipping boy. And even former Habs prospect extraordinaire Ron Hainsey was good for this reason. Chimera is nothing more than a footsoldier. For the same reason Raffi Torres doesn't make a good whipping boy even if he is oft injured. For that matter, its why Klesla isn't a good whipping boy--think back to when he was out, did you hear people crying "we would be so much better if Klesla would get his butt back"? No.

Anton Stralman is an interesting case. But I don't think there is much hype to him coming in and he's not making Backman money, so he'll probably be largely immune.

Which leaves the finalists...(3) Kristian Huselius (2) Kris Russell and (1)...Nikita Filatov.

Juice is a streaky player and with other players still on the upswing (i.e. Brassard, Voracek, and Filatov and arguably Umberger and Vermette) a slow start by Juice will lead to hand-wringing about his contract and the spot on the top 6 he's taking from arguably more-talented forwards. He's seen his points go down by 10 points two seasons straight...continuing this trend would be bad, particularly with his contract (2 more years after this one at $4.75 million). Juice wasn't the one who gave him his contract and he was second on the team in points last season. But that won't stop the hate train if Juice continues to clang posts more than he finds the back of the net.

Kris Russell is a perfect example of unjustified expectations doing in a player. Many around here have thought he'd be a power play Messiah since he was putting up ridiculous numbers in the WHL. With Anton Stralman as the shiny new toy and John Moore in their dreams, the children of Jacketsland may soon be putting Kris Russell in the pile of toys that can go to the Goodwill, even if he's in perfectly useable condition.

Which leads us to Nikita Filatov. Every word this kid says is read (and read into) three times over to determine if/when he'll be leaving for the KHL. No matter what he does, he can never earn a spot in the top 6 because he doesn't play the "right way." And should he end up in Hitch's dog house, the Hitch Tabernacle Choir will be quick to sing a song about the fallen angel and praise their Lord for smiting him for his sins. I sometimes wonder if its possible that he can put up 30 goals and still have certain segments of this board talk about what a horrible player he is and I'd say that the jury is still out on that. He's in pretty close to a no-win situation.

Honorable mentions--Jakub Voracek and Derek Brassard. Face it, anything akin to a sophomore slump (or another injury in the case of Brassard) would lead to threads questioning whether they are what people thought they would be (which again is sometimes unrealistic).
Nice job, Mason may even get a whip or two if he falters in his second year.. As for Nikki, the jury is still out on him but I think some who are skeptical are attempting to lay the ground work in case he doesn't meet expectation in the "non flash" part of his game. But as you say, he might be in a no win situation even if he does.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 12:50 PM
  #38
hashmarks
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Nice job, Mason may even get a whip or two if he falters in his second year.. As for Nikki, the jury is still out on him but I think some who are skeptical are attempting to lay the ground work in case he doesn't meet expectation in the "non flash" part of his game. But as you say, he might be in a no win situation even if he does.
People with any kind of reasonable thinking are very prepared to see mistakes and holes in his game, if he is a net help overall, then he will be widely appreciated. Same goes for every player.

It is easy to get on your soap box about people making what you view are seemingly negative comments when you haven't seen the kid but one game this pre-season. The kid was bad but for the last two games. Hitch said as much (in as nice as possible way) himself.

This b.s. about laying groundwork...really? Your conspiracy theory and talk about people with agendas is really juvenile.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 12:58 PM
  #39
CapnCornelius
Registered User
 
CapnCornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post
This b.s. about laying groundwork...really? Your conspiracy theory and talk about people with agendas is really juvenile.
I really wish more people understood what a "conspiracy" was. A conspiracy requires concerted action by more than one person. It is not the same as an agenda, which some people clearly have. Unless you are going to deny that you are a long-standing fan of Ken Hitchcock and that your agenda is to portray him in a good light which you view as "accurate" and others might view as "biased."

I don't see how pointing out the biases of individual posters is juvenile. It is the necessary context to understanding why people say what they say.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 01:16 PM
  #40
Lodewijk
 
Lodewijk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: O,H..........I,O
Country: United States
Posts: 269
vCash: 500
I think any slump in Nash's game this year will bring some heat, not from me, but from some.

I saw quite a bit of talk last year about trading him, but now that he's got his extension, people will say he's getting fat and happy because he doesn't have to play for the deal anymore.

As the Captain, the expectations on him are pretty high. And if this team goes on a ten game losing streak at some point, I would expect him to take some blame.


I'd love to think that there will be no whipping boys this year, but we all have an opinion on who the weaker links to team success are, so I'd guess it's pretty natural.

Lodewijk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 01:37 PM
  #41
plong123
Litebrite Stinger
 
plong123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Stretchrunston
Country: United States
Posts: 1,756
vCash: 500
counter-point: I think Nash is going to break through this year to the "next level". What with the security of being the man, and now with a center who can both dish and finish, I don't think 95-100 points is out of the question.

Of course if he doesn't, we'll ride him mercilessly... wait, what's that? That's what this thread is about? OK. Carry on.

plong123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 01:54 PM
  #42
Gulvorn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ohio St/Cincy/Dayton
Country: United States
Posts: 4,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by plong123 View Post
counter-point: I think Nash is going to break through this year to the "next level". What with the security of being the man, and now with a center who can both dish and finish, I don't think 95-100 points is out of the question.

Of course if he doesn't, we'll ride him mercilessly... wait, what's that? That's what this thread is about? OK. Carry on.
Nevermind the fact that even if he gets 100 points at the end of the season, he's going to have a week or two where he gets no goals and everyone will be criticizing him for not doing what he's getting paid to do, especially if we start losing games back to back

Gulvorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 02:23 PM
  #43
TaketheCannoli
RIP
 
TaketheCannoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 8,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulvorn View Post
Nevermind the fact that even if he gets 100 points at the end of the season, he's going to have a week or two where he gets no goals and everyone will be criticizing him for not doing what he's getting paid to do, especially if we start losing games back to back
Absolutely.

TaketheCannoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 02:23 PM
  #44
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,385
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Folks, this was meant to be a way to poke fun at our own groupthink habits, not encourage them. Let's not continue down that road, 'kay? There's enough places for that mishegaas.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 02:40 PM
  #45
Aging Goalie
 
Aging Goalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lima, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 1,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
So Filatov won't be the undeserved whipping boy...

but he's already a soft floater who's all style and no substance based on an average training camp and 2-3 sub-par preseason games?

Oh the ironing.
Glad you got the wrinkles out of that post.

Aging Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 02:42 PM
  #46
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,385
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Stralman just got a boost to his case for this position - he'll be wearing #5, according to the Jackets website (http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/roster.htm). I thought for sure he'd take #36, but apparently Roy already has it.

I think he may be indirectly doomed, even if only by the underinformed.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 02:44 PM
  #47
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,168
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Stralman just got a boost to his case for this position - he'll be wearing #5, according to the Jackets website (http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/roster.htm). I thought for sure he'd take #36, but apparently Roy already has it.

I think he may be indirectly doomed, even if only by the underinformed.
Was that Hainsey?

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 02:45 PM
  #48
LaCosta Nostra
Registered User
 
LaCosta Nostra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,026
vCash: 500
No, much worse... Pushor.

LaCosta Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 02:47 PM
  #49
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,168
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCosta Nostra View Post
No, much worse... Pushor.
Thanks.... ya old Pusher. That was a long time ago.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 02:52 PM
  #50
Wolfy
The Hobbit Rules!
 
Wolfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,311
vCash: 500
Boll...no question

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.