HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

A Trip Down Memory Lane At Maple Leaf Gardens

Old
09-30-2009, 08:41 AM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

vCash: 500
A Trip Down Memory Lane At Maple Leaf Gardens

Quote:
Tie Domi walked the empty, eerie halls by himself on Monday, a fighter alone with his memories.

He ambled through the second-level concourse, where yellow caution tape now surrounds the single-file-only escalators. He passed the nooks behind the boards where he occasionally hid from waiting fans and reporters, the close-to-the-exit-ramp spot where he would park his car, the little room behind the net where Harold Ballard once sat and watched and stewed.

He looked up at the corner blues, where he sat when he attended his first game as a 10-year-old. He looked up at the west-side greens and reds and golds, or where the west-side greens and reds and golds used to be before they were ripped out and carted away and sold off.
http://thestar.ca/news/gta/article/703053

A great read. I'm currently reading "Leafs Abomination", and it goes into detail regarding Ballard's bunker, and the things Ballard did. Leaf history is incredibly interesting, and this incredibly well written article gives anyone a sense of nostalgia, even if they've never been in the building.

Newfie John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 09:10 AM
dissociater

I would love to walk around Maple Leaf Gardens for a day and just explore.

dissociater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 09:16 AM
Leaf Army

I was in Maple Leaf Gardens last October and I couldn't believe how intact everything still was. Still signs and pictures on the walls, concession stands still up, the score clock... everything. Aside from a few missing seats it looked like they just shut the doors and never came back.

It was like walking back in time.

Leaf Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 09:19 AM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army View Post
I was in Maple Leaf Gardens last October and I couldn't believe how intact everything still was. Still signs and pictures on the walls, concession stands still up, the score clock... everything. Aside from a few missing seats it looked like they just shut the doors and never came back.

I'd love to be able to do it.

Newfie John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 10:03 AM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army View Post

How did you manage to get in? For the last year or so, I have really really wanted to go back inside the Gardens. Not sure how many of you follow Down Goes Brown's blog, but he had a piece on the Gardens that makes me think back so fondly each time I read it. I remember how good the Gardens looked when Wendel had his number honoured, and they were walking with him through the building in an interview. It looked as exactly as how you described it, like a time capsule. I tend to get very nostalgic over places, and in that regard, I think the Gardens is one of the places I would like to go most. Just the feeling, that at one time, this was the place to be, when the seats were filled, the building filled with noise, the great players and coaches, the plays that were made there, and everything that went on. It is a historic spot, and one day, I hope to go inside again.

blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 10:07 AM
go_leafs_go02

vCash: 695
Fascinating.

I would watch Battle of the Blades strictly to see what MLG looks like. I found it fascinating that they could use it.

Glad to see the MLG is still in good shape, unlike the Memorial Auditorium in Buffalo, which sat empty for years, but was accessible and vandalized in many places.

I never got to see a game there, but to see it now, would be neat. I wonder how many people to observe the reality show will be there mainly to see MLG again?

go_leafs_go02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 10:33 AM
The Saurus

My brother knows a way into the MLG. Although he doesn't go anymore, he spent a good day inside with a friend exploring the arena a couple of years ago.

The Saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 10:41 AM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmarketmob View Post
How did you manage to get in?
Anyone could get in. An artist had an installation there for Nuit Blanche last year. Naturally I paid absolutely no attention to the art but it was a cool experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavsson View Post
My brother knows a way into the MLG. Although he doesn't go anymore, he spent a good day inside with a friend exploring the arena a couple of years ago.
Haha I actually wouldn't doubt it. Often the back door is left wide open with somewhat spotty supervision. I've always thought how easy it would be to sneak in.

Also there are small openings at the back of the building you can peer into from the street and actually see the seating and score clock.

Leaf Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 11:18 AM
the squared circle

Thanks for posting that.
I miss the Gardens so much. The ACC will never evoke the same emotion for me.
I only work a couple blocks from the Gardens and I used to walk by it once in a while, just to get 'that feeling'.
I think I will walk by in the next week or so...

the squared circle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 12:37 PM
Bigleaf

A couple of my relatives went through every inch of the Gardens a few years ago while doing a job. They picked up tons of stuff that was hidden or left over and not sold. I have one of the goal lights. It works like a charm. You just plug it in the wall like a lamp and it has a regular light switch. When my cousin gave it to me he joked that I should hang it on the wall above my bed and hit the switch and yell "He Scores" when I score with my wife. I replied that my back would have burn marks on it from switching the light on so much. Why do I lie to family like that? LOL! Anyhow, they even scored 2 specific Red seats for a friend whose family had those same season seats for over 40 years. They said that there was a steep staircase that went from the ticket booth up to a vault with a massive door where Ballard must have stored lots of his cash and they even went through his apartment. I also will never have the same feeling towards the ACC that I have for MLG. That place gave me goosebumps whenever I was there for a game, concert, or the one time I played there as a kid on our school team. This is where the HHOF should have been relocated to in my opinion.

Bigleaf is offline   Reply With Quote