HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Martin whipping them into shape today

Old
09-29-2009, 01:11 PM
felixd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saints96 View Post
lets start a rumor
done see post above.

felixd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 01:13 PM
Pascal

It was hilarious to hear Gui say yesterday on RDS that "the problem is that I play well with Max so I won't get to play on the top 2 lines".... Great way to see things. And btw Gui, it's because you blew on the ice...

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 01:18 PM
kostitsyn1489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
It was hilarious to hear Gui say yesterday on RDS that "the problem is that I play well with Max so I won't get to play on the top 2 lines".... Great way to see things. And btw Gui, it's because you blew on the ice...
Gui didnt do anything on the top 2 lines in pre season. Pac clearly outplayed him.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 01:18 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
The problem isn't that he plays well with Max, it's that he ONLY plays well with Max.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 01:19 PM
kostitsyn1489

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLHabsAK46 View Post
The problem isn't that he plays well with Max, it's that he ONLY plays well with Max.
And Koivu.

Old
09-29-2009, 01:22 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostitsyn1489 View Post
And Koivu.
Kovu isn't here anymore.

Old
09-29-2009, 01:26 PM
Stradale

Quote:
And Koivu.
Everybody plays great with Saku. Ryder, Higgins, Zednik, Latendresse, Tanguay, Kovalev, S. Kostitsyn but at the end of the day, he doesnt speak french so no love for the captain.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 01:30 PM
kostitsyn1489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Everybody plays great with Saku. Ryder, Higgins, Zednik, Latendresse, Tanguay, Kovalev, S. Kostitsyn but at the end of the day, he doesnt speak french so no love for the captain.
Latendresse to Anaheim E4 so he can play with Koivu and be a part time actor.

Old
09-29-2009, 01:41 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixd View Post
Gagnon specifically mentions Latendresse and Kostitsyn as players getting an earful from Martin today. Both players also didn't have great camps/pre-season by all accounts. Let's hope they get their stuff together for Thursday night. We need both of them to have big years to succeed.
Funny that they made this huge thing when S.Kost got an earful.

Now he says, A.Kost, Lats and others.

Did the media blow out of proportion the ''Martin screamed at S.Kost'' thing??..

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 01:50 PM
kostitsyn1489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post

Did the media blow out of proportion the ''Martin screamed at S.Kost'' thing??..
Media blows things out of proportion? NEVER!!

Old
09-29-2009, 01:56 PM
saints96

Quote:

well yaa!! coaches scream at their players all the time! i played junior elite baseball and our coach was a nutcase. great coach but veryyyyyy vocal. Thats the way some coaches are. I wonder if he woulda screamed at lats or lappy what rds's reaction woulda been. I bet you a pretty penny it wouldnt have been the same reaction that sergie got.

saints96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 02:09 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
well yaa!! coaches scream at their players all the time! i played junior elite baseball and our coach was a nutcase. great coach but veryyyyyy vocal. Thats the way some coaches are. I wonder if he woulda screamed at lats or lappy what rds's reaction woulda been. I bet you a pretty penny it wouldnt have been the same reaction that sergie got.
I know, I was being sarcastic.

I played hockey till junior and every single one of my coaches since Bantam were very tough and vocal.

We'll see by the end of the day if the media will make something out of Martin being pissed today.

Old
09-29-2009, 02:21 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Gui didnt do anything on the top 2 lines in pre season. Pac clearly outplayed him.
I dunno about that. Lats didn't do much but MaxPac didn't either. I get why Lats isn't up there, but I don't get why MaxPac is, except by default -- and then I have to question why the untested rookie of questionable NHL readiness is the default option. In a way, what that says about the team is frankly not encouraging.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 02:30 PM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I dunno about that. Lats didn't do much but MaxPac didn't either. I get why Lats isn't up there, but I don't get why MaxPac is, except by default -- and then I have to question why the untested rookie of questionable NHL readiness is the default option. In a way, what that says about the team is frankly not encouraging.
Gomez + gionta = 2(speedy),
Pac = speedy + forecheck
Lats = slow + forecheck
Gomez + Gionta + Lats = 2(Speedy) + Slow + forecheck
Gomez + Gionta + Maxpac = 3(speedy)+ Forecheck

2(speedy) + slow + forecheck < 3(speedy) + forecheck
Slow < Speedy

makes sense to me, the top lines quick max is quicker then lats, and frankly I trust martin at making lines more then anyone else right now

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 02:31 PM
Capitano

Good point Mathman - I keep mentioning that there was a top 6 forward spot up for grabs and none of SKost, MaxPac, OR Lats grabbed it with both hands.

SKost needs work, Lats didn't show well on a top line in pre-season from what I saw, and MaxPac was no better than average.

So it looks like MaxPac by process of elimination, but it's only one game, and we all know how many times lines can change.

To your point though, I'm not encouraged at how MaxPac got the job either. I would have been happy with any of the 3 I mentioned if they showed up to camp on a mission to win that spot.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 02:37 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

maxpac is a bit raw but shows more potential then lats for sure. lats needs to stick to 3d line... i dont know why all of a sudden hes top 6 material. lapirerre has more goal scoring in him then lats IMO.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 02:46 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
No he didn't.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 02:48 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACCIDENT View Post
Slow < Speedy
Scoring = ?

'Cause that's one thing MaxPac hasn't really proven he can do at the pro level, let alone enough to be a top-sixer. Nevermind Lats, d'Agostini would seem to be better at it than Pac (but his right hand shot hurts him there, unusually).

Heck, if you want speed and forecheck, might as well slot Lapierre there.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 02:53 PM
saints96

Quote:
Scoring = ?

'Cause that's one thing MaxPac hasn't really proven he can do at the pro level, let alone enough to be a top-sixer. Nevermind Lats, d'Agostini would seem to be better at it than Pac (but his right hand shot hurts him there, unusually).

Heck, if you want speed and forecheck, might as well slot Lapierre there.
lats his lucky hes even on the 3rd line. even on the forecheck he isnt great.. again. TOO SLOW!

saints96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 02:57 PM
kostitsyn1489

Quote:
To me someone that's been inconsistent, but showed flash of doing something good is clearly better then someone who have consistenly been useless.

That said our O hasnt been impressive in pre-season. We have 1 player there by default on both the top 6 and bottom 6.

That said, to me D'Ago is more deserving then both Pac and Lats to play on the first line.

I can't beleive some people are talking about Lats not being on the 1st line when D'ago has generated offense in every game he played, unlike the other 2, esp Lats that really didnt much.

D'Ago >> Pac > Lats

OMG LATS ISNT ON THE FIRST LINE. Welcome to Montreal.

Old
09-29-2009, 04:12 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
lats his lucky hes even on the 3rd line. even on the forecheck he isnt great.. again. TOO SLOW!
So funny... you have no argument so you go back to your classical Lats bashing...

Pacioretty is lucky to get a spot on the first line. He didn't do anything more than Lats to deserve such a promotion.

Luckily, Cammy, Gomez and Gio are reunited on the 1st PP wave... and Pacioretty isn't playing on the PP.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 04:25 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACCIDENT View Post
Gomez + gionta = 2(speedy),
Pac = speedy + forecheck
Lats = slow + forecheck
Gomez + Gionta + Lats = 2(Speedy) + Slow + forecheck
Gomez + Gionta + Maxpac = 3(speedy)+ Forecheck

Slow < Speedy

makes sense to me, the top lines quick max is quicker then lats, and frankly I trust martin at making lines more then anyone else right now
You do realize you're talking about the 1st line here??..
The line will need to produce. How's MaxPac's production so far???..

Out of all the players battling for top6, S.Kost-Lats-D'Ago-himself, he's the least productive. I would love nothing more than for him to produce well there, but I just don't think he's ready enough.

Lats is slow, sure but when you have two fast players entering the zone trying to set up a play, Lats can rush straight to the net and cause problems/distraction. That's what Martin asked of him but for some reason he didn't do it much. Too bad because we know he can produce with offensive linemates as he's done with Koivu/Ryder and Koivu/Tanguay.

S.Kost played 2Games, the rest of the time he wasn't cleared. He had one bad and one good game. He responded after being yelled at by Martin. Once Cammalleri left the game, he stepped up and had some decent NHL offensive linemates for the first time. He scored.
Then was sent down, I found the judgment harsh. I don't think he was given a fair chance to show what he was made off. He's without a doubt the player that should have had the last top6 spot (talent wise).

D'Ago showed some decent things offensively, but defensively was simply horrible. Guessing Martin hopes that D'Ago will make our 3rd line that more offensive, but I don't think any pure sniper should be centered by Lappy. Lats has decent playmaking skills, but if his role is to rush the net, I don't understand what D'Ago is really doing on that line. I have big doubts as to this trio working.

MaxPac was a good player. He battled hard and was intense, but his offensive output was nonexistent. Seeing as he's on the 1st line, it's kind of troubling. Like I said, I hope he'll be able produce as I love MaxPac but I don't think he's ready.

All in all, I think S.Kost should have given a try as he's the best fit imo. Unfortunately, I think he sealed his faith when he missed the bus. Hopefully, he'll have a short stint there and quickly called back up.

All in all, I'm not a big fan of MaxPac on 1st.

Old
09-29-2009, 04:25 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
So funny... you have no argument so you go back to your classical Lats bashing...

Pacioretty is lucky to get a spot on the first line. He didn't do anything more than Lats to deserve such a promotion.

Luckily, Cammy, Gomez and Gio are reunited on the 1st PP wave... and Pacioretty isn't playing on the PP.
You have to admit though, Patches can fly, and has a bigger upside than Gui......this is the right decision in my eyes, and if Patches can't handle it, I would think Dagostini would be there before Gui...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 05:38 PM
HCH

Playing on the first line isn't all about who scores the most goals... it is finding three players whose skills complement one another.

When Gretzky and Kurri played together, the linemate was often Dave Semenko. He didn't score much but he complemented their skill set. Messier played on the second line, so did Glenn Anderson. Both were more skilled than Semenko but everyone played where they had the best chance to succeed.

I haven't seen much of the pre-season action but Martin must be of the opinion that the style of game Lats plays won't fit in well with Gomez and Cammalleri or Gionta. If it is Max Pac on the first line and that line dominates, who cares.

Let's forget about personal stats and begin thinking about what will make the team better. Sure Lats might score a few more goals if he played on the first line but I'm not worried if he scores 16 or 25. In fact, scoring 16 goals on the third line might be more important to the team than scoring 25 on the first line.

I would like to see the team succeed and could really care less who plays on which line. For now I will put my faith in Martin to make the best choices.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 05:44 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
MaxPac was a good player. He battled hard and was intense, but his offensive output was nonexistent. Seeing as he's on the 1st line, it's kind of troubling. Like I said, I hope he'll be able produce as I love MaxPac but I don't think he's ready.
He doesn't need to.

He just has to pressure the puck carrier, dig the puck out of the corners and find ways to get it to Gomez or Gio.

If he was on the 1st PP wave, then he'd have to no doubt. But just getting a good forechecker on a line that lacks size and that ability should make up for the offensive shortcomings from his part.