HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Welcome to the Islanders Schremp! *Link in post #6*

Closed Thread

Old
09-29-2009, 01:52 PM
Lek

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Lek
no lose situation for us with Nielson out for now....good pick up.

Old
09-29-2009, 01:53 PM
Isles Junkie

since this seems to be where all the action is happening, I just wanna ask if tonights game is being televised?

Old
09-29-2009, 01:56 PM
LAPPY13

The kid has real talent and with alot of icetime and very little pressure he should live-up to his hype! I like this move!

Old
09-29-2009, 01:57 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I have been on record that we don't need Schremp...I WILL embrace the decision and hope for the best.
Some perspective though, this is a waiver pick-up, let's not get too excited.

I expect he will play hard and EARN a job, not be given one.

Although many felt Moulson had earned a spot on the team, based on camp/pre-season, he may be the odd man out.

Tavares - Weight - Okposo
???? - Bailey - Comeau
Bergy - Nielsen - Hunter
Reich/Sim - Park/Thompson/Moore - Jackman/Rechlicz

Tambellini, Schremp, Moulson, Smith have ONE spot available. If that. May the best man win.
Which would be fine if Schremp was actually here long enough to have been part of the competition. He's going to start the season on the Isles due to circumstance and not due actually winning the position. Of course, that's not to say that if he doesn't succeed he couldn't be dropped down and one of the others mentioned could be brought up but it would've been nice to see early on how bad he wants to be in the NHL.

Old
09-29-2009, 02:06 PM
doublechili

This is an interesting acquisition. It might only be for a few weeks, anyway. But worst case, in the meanwhile it's a Neilsen replacement and some "incentive" for Tambellini and others. And maybe Schremp is a fit with Gordon's system. Schremp's junior numbers are impressive, and he did put up a PPG in the AHL two years back. Worth a shot, I suppose.

Old
09-29-2009, 02:06 PM
OlTimeHockey

I guess I am alone in finding it refreshing that someone new, talented and more skilled than Thompson or Jackman will suffer a groin injury this week.

Old
09-29-2009, 02:11 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
I guess I am alone in finding it refreshing that someone new, talented and more skilled than Thompson or Jackman will suffer a groin injury this week.
That's the first time the groin joke has actually been funny!

Old
09-29-2009, 02:13 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I'm a Schremp fan and I think he's going to become a solid NHL player yet.

The guy has the ability to put up points, but not much else. He also seemed like more of an "East" player than a "West" player, where they play a slightly more physical/gritty game.

Nonetheless, I think he'll put up 40+ points this season if given the ice time. Plus he's a New York guy, so I'm happy to see him go home.

Old
09-29-2009, 02:23 PM
Oil_in_my_veins

can you take Nilsson back too? we've had enough of his antics.

I hate to say it but you'll see Schrempie is Nilsson without the wheels.

I really like your young core players but don't think Schremp will mesh well with this team. but you never know it could be like when no-talent Rob Brown was on Mario's line in Pittsburgh and lit it up.

guess time will tell.

Old
09-29-2009, 02:25 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

This thread needs more people saying "low risk, high reward".

Old
09-29-2009, 02:26 PM
KH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin3 View Post
Worst case scenario is he is the second coming of Tomas Pock and we cut his ass. The ceiling however is unlimited. Does it suck for Greg Moore? Yes. Does it suck for the Islanders? No. This is a no brainer and I'm glad that Snow used his brain.
First of all, the second coming of Tomas Pock is a very bad scenario. He was causing goals weeks after he should've been cut (I don't think anyone really believes that there wasn't a more competent dman in the AHL.)

Second, that's the first time I think I've ever read that "the ceiling is unlimited" for a guy who scored 7 goals in the AHL last season.

I have no problem with this pickup because the Isles have an open spot up the middle anyway with Nielsen hurt. But I would be very surprised if Schremp sticks around and has any sort of significant NHL career.

Old
09-29-2009, 02:26 PM
OlTimeHockey

Gorton and Shremp.....?

Old
09-29-2009, 02:27 PM
nyscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
minimal risk, maximum reward

Old
09-29-2009, 02:35 PM
NYIschremp44

Posted via Mobile Device

Old
09-29-2009, 02:36 PM
redbull
game on

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henry I View Post
Second, that's the first time I think I've ever read that "the ceiling is unlimited" for a guy who scored 7 goals in the AHL last season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil_in_my_veins View Post
can you take Nilsson back too? we've had enough of his antics.

I hate to say it but you'll see Schrempie is Nilsson without the wheels.

I really like your young core players but don't think Schremp will mesh well with this team. but you never know it could be like when no-talent Rob Brown was on Mario's line in Pittsburgh and lit it up.

guess time will tell.
sad that you mentioned MARIO, Schremp and Nilsson in the same post

I assume you're an oilers fan, your input is appreciated. We're hoping the fresh start and the new environment will help both the Isles and Schremp. I suppose it does work both ways. Sometimes you deal a young player and he disappoints (like Nilsson and O'Marra) and sometimes, much less often, they blossom (Jason Blake?)

Old
09-29-2009, 02:37 PM
NYIschremp44

Its about time been waiting since 2000 for this. Beautiful thing when ur favorite player goes to your favorite team
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
09-29-2009, 02:39 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
since this seems to be where all the action is happening, I just wanna ask if tonights game is being televised?
you sir are my hero, for i too desire the answer to this inquiry...

as per schremp, its a smart move. people piss and moan how the talent level on the farm or on the big club is lacking, then snow picks up an extremely talented player and its more pissing and moaning...based on pure skill alone, schremp immediately becomes one of our top 5 prospects. IF he gets it together, every naysayer here will be riding his jock and praising snow, which imo, should be done anyway for this pick up. theres next to zero risk.
people bring up the 7 goals, but he also had 35 assists. if you look at his stats, hes always been more of a playmaker. he had a bad season last yr with 42 points in 68 games, it happens. even the yr in junior that he put up 145 points, he had 88 assists with 57 goals. hes only 3 seasons removed from that. oh right, back to the zero risk...if this project doesnt work, then hes waived and were right back where we were.

Old
09-29-2009, 02:42 PM
Doshell Propivo

Edmonton Oilers Coach Pat Quinn about Schremp...

"With Rob, it's a matter of numbers in a lot of ways. We have a number of guys who have similar sorts of looks. They're skilled. They play a lot of the game on the outside. We wanted some bigger guys, some crustier guys, and that means others don't get that a chance to start here. But his attitude is terrific. He came here with the thought that he was going to win the job and he showed us everything he has on the skill level side. Maybe he gets a chance."

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...430/story.html

That's not exactly a ringing endorsement. A reject perimeter player... Great.

Old
09-29-2009, 02:42 PM
Spartan117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
As a Habs fan, I just want to congratulate you guys. I wanted Schremp to come to Montreal, and get straightened out, I think he has incredible talent and I think he will be excellent for the Islanders. Btw Tavares is the ****.

Why don't you lick the crack of the Islanders fan's a bit more, Habs fan?

Schrempf doesn't play defence, doesn't pass when someone's open and has a better angle than him, won't go into the corner's and watchs too much lacrosse. Overall, he's lazy and isn't gritty. I wanted him to succeed in Edmonton cause he's loaded with talent but it never panned out. Hopefully he'll get his act together soon but I doubt it. Look at his numbers in the minors last season...

Old
09-29-2009, 02:44 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Because then people might start believing that it's true?

It's low risk until you're on the road, Schremp is out on the ice, and the other team counters with Geno the Great, Sid the Kid, Ovie the Omniscient, any of the Flyer lines, Gaborik, Parise, etc., etc., etc. If low risk = matchup hell, then Mike Sillinger got traded because seven times (or whatever) because he's a useless scrub.

This move indicates how much we suck up the middle. Josh Bailey: be prepared to see a *lot* of ice.

Cheers,

Dan-o

PS Maybe the Isles are a talent funnel for Wolfsburg Grizzly Adams (???!!!) of the DEL. Justin Papineau redux.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=25887

Old
09-29-2009, 02:46 PM
ferrisUML

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIschremp44 View Post
Its about time been waiting since 2000 for this. Beautiful thing when ur favorite player goes to your favorite team
Posted via Mobile Device
Favorite player? Really? How exactly did Rob Schremp become your favorite player? Is he your brother or something? I mean, no offense, but we're not talking Ovechkin here.

Old
09-29-2009, 02:49 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
you know what...i agree
Attached Images
File Type: gif reward.gif‎ (44.2 KB, 35 views)

Old
09-29-2009, 02:56 PM
NYIschremp44

Posted via Mobile Device

Old
09-29-2009, 03:21 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIschremp44 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Congrats man, I hope that he turns out well for you guys. You were the first HF poster that I thought of when he was claimed by the Islanders! Here's to hoping that he's give a chance for long enough to shake off the nerves and gets to show what he's capable of. I guess I might be watching a few NYI games this year if he sticks with the club

Old
09-29-2009, 03:22 PM
RWWallpaper

Anyone who is that skilled, and is not producing at the AHL level, is a scary proposition. Now of course, he could be our version of Marty St. Louis who had a TON of raw skill but did little to impress the Flames who released him. He then signed with Tampa and the rest is history. Is that what's going to happen with Schremp...I seriously doubt it.

That said, he's on the good side of 25, has as much pure offensive ability as anyone, including Tavares, on our roster right now, did not cost us a player or pick and is only 750K in salary...I guess the potential reward far outweighs the risk which is really zero. Let's hope a change of scenery helps him find his game.

Closed Thread