HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

Coyotes sign Robert Lang

Old
09-29-2009, 12:36 PM
zyllyx

vCash: 500
Coyotes sign Robert Lang

As noted on Twitter by @HKYFN - Lang apparently hit the ice for practice and is now on his way for medical clearances.

Confirmation pending but it is important to note that Ryan Hollweg is apparently on waivers right now, which would lend credence to the possibility.

Last edited by mouser: 10-01-2009 at 02:19 PM. Reason: removed "pending" from title
zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 12:37 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Great news if this is true. I was hoping that after last season, someone would take a chance on Lang.

09-29-2009, 12:39 PM
k1llua

Send a message via AIM to k1llua
Quote:
Originally Posted by zyllyx View Post
As noted on Twitter by @HKYFN - Lang apparently hit the ice for practice and is now on his way for medical clearances.

Confirmation pending but it is important to note that Ryan Hollweg is apparently on waivers right now, which would lend credence to the possibility.
Very interesting...

From what I gather he was pretty lights out for the Habs, but the injury worries me. If Maloney can get him cheap enough it could be good though. Add him to the Czech brigade!

k1llua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 12:41 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1llua View Post
Very interesting...

From what I gather he was pretty lights out for the Habs, but the injury worries me. If Maloney can get him cheap enough it could be good though. Add him to the Czech brigade!
I would go as far as to say he was our best player before the injury. If he can come close to the way he was playing before he was injured. This could potentially be a low risk/high reward situation for your team.

Habs10Habs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 12:42 PM
zyllyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I would go as far as to say he was our best player before the injury. If he can come close to the way he was playing before he was injured. This could potentially be a low risk/high reward situation for your team.
In other words, a typical Maloney signing (outside of Hollweg ).

I had Lang in my fantasy hockey pool last season and before the injury he was cranking out the points for me - so I have a soft spot in my heart for the guy...

zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 12:43 PM
PhoPhan

Some earlier discussion of a potential Lang signing from this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Robert Lang, going on 39 years old, has averaged .71 points per game the last three years, and has a combined face off percentage over 50% in that span. Not far off of his career average of .73. Wasn't healthy last year, missing 32 games due to an achilles tendon, but had a .78 points per game average. If you factor in how few games he's played in the last three year, though, 50, 76, and 81, his average season in that span looks like 69gp 19g 29a 48pts. If it weren't for the tendon, those numbers would likely look a bit better. Probably an average of fifty four, or so, points.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
Assuming he's healthy, Lang would be acceptable given the circumstances. He had a huge effect on Jiri Hudler, and if he could help Hanzal blossom into an offensive player, it would be worth the money right there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
I've thought the same thing about Lang for a long time, but signing him would mean Turris is playing the season in San Antonio, getting called up only in the case of injuries.

Lang-Lombardi-Hanzal-Fiddler-Mueller leaves absolutely no room for Turris. The fact GMDM hasn't jumped on Lang when there has been seemingly little interest him -- unless Lang told DM no interest in coming to Phx -- I'm starting to think DM not willing to shut the door on Turris making the team this year, and if adding anything it's a scoring winger.

At the right price Lang is worth the gamble for exactly for the reasons you mentioned.

Regardless, this franchise needs a signing NOW to get the fans back to talking about the season and not all the court ****. It could be the $500k goon for all I care. But we need a move to show we're still here and committed to the upcoming season, instead of looking dormant and waiting for a court resolution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazidoom View Post
I like Lang but I saw the game where he was injured and it was pretty bad. Achilles tendon sliced by a skate. I don't think he'd be ready for the beginning of the season.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 12:50 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyllyx View Post
In other words, a typical Maloney signing (outside of Hollweg ).

I had Lang in my fantasy hockey pool last season and before the injury he was cranking out the points for me - so I have a soft spot in my heart for the guy...
lol, my condolences on the Hollweg signing.

He was doing very well before the injury. He was also quite helpful when put on a line with some of our younger players. I've met him a few times and he's always positive, a real team first type of player.

Caution though, he will float from time to time. He's also not the fastest skater in the world. Even before this injury.

Habs10Habs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 12:53 PM
AnalogMan

I am all over this. As RT pointed out as well as a Habs fan, when healthy this guy can still produce. And it would mean Tippett prefers Mueller on the wing.

May suck for Porter and Winnik. And I really don't get the Hollweg signing now.

But, ancient history. Lang makes up for it.

AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 12:55 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

And no training camp for the guy, he'd better be cheap.

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 12:56 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
lol, my condolences on the Hollweg signing.

He was doing very well before the injury. He was also quite helpful when put on a line with some of our younger players. I've met him a few times and he's always positive, a real team first type of player.

Caution though, he will float from time to time. He's also not the fastest skater in the world. Even before this injury.
This is exactly the sort of player the Coyotes need(ed): a playmaker who can work well with young players.

Doan-Lombardi-Upshall
Mueller-Lang-Boedker
Prucha-Hanzal-Vrbata

Those are some damn solid lines if everything works out.

Old
09-29-2009, 12:58 PM
Don LXXIX

Eklund f/hockeybuzz says Lang is signed by Phoenix....sorry still a rumor I guess

Don LXXIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 12:59 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

I wouldn't mind this at all if it's a reasonable contract. Lang brings a lot of things the team could use.

mouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 01:01 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
This is exactly the sort of player the Coyotes need(ed): a playmaker who can work well with young players.

Doan-Lombardi-Upshall
Mueller-Lang-Boedker
Prucha-Hanzal-Vrbata

& gives us dept in the event a centre goes down. We have been blessed with the injures for the last couple seasons (minus Sauer )

Old
09-29-2009, 01:09 PM
AnalogMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
I wouldn't mind this at all if it's a reasonable contract. Lang brings a lot of things the team could use.
If it's a year <$2M total (at his age I believe he's eligible for incentives), I'd be ecstatic.

Old
09-29-2009, 01:11 PM

I really like Robert Lang, but that goes back to my days as a Kings fan when he was on that team. I don't recall, but he might have even played some games in Phoenix for the Roadrunners back then.

I'd love to see Lang with Hanzal & Vrbata, because that is a line that could really bring Hanzal out into a breakout season offensively. That would give the Coyotes a pretty good shot at 3 decent scoring lines with something like:

Upshall - Lombardi - Mueller
Hanzal - Lang - Vrbata
Pyatt - Fiddler - Doan

That still leaves Boedker, Korpedo, Prucha and others to fill in spot duty and round out that 4th line. I like it.

I guess I should see how much they are paying Lang first, but if they can pay him in the range of the league average, somewhere around $1.5-1.8M, I wouldn't complain. This must be our answer to losing out on Tanguay.

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 01:11 PM
Colt45Blast
Torres FTW

Plus no locker-room cancer! Less weight off of Shane Doan shoulders!
Posted via Mobile Device

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 01:16 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Did anyone else catch that he did play for the ol Roadrunners, comes full circle. See the Desert breads great hockey players.

Old
09-29-2009, 01:19 PM
yakko

Quote:
Doan-Lombardi-Upshall
Mueller-Lang-Boedker
Prucha-Hanzal-Vrbata

Yes they are. I really like those lines. All three centers can take face offs. Two of those lines are very dependable defensively and I assume the fourth line would be as well. I hope we get to see those lines on ice.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 01:22 PM
AnalogMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaPride View Post
Plus no locker-room cancer! Less weight off of Shane Doan shoulders!
Posted via Mobile Device
you get my PM?

Old
09-29-2009, 01:26 PM
XX
... Waiting

Can Lang still skate though? 39 is old for someone who has played as much hockey as he has.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 01:29 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
Yes they are. I really like those lines. All three centers can take face offs. Two of those lines are very dependable defensively and I assume the fourth line would be as well. I hope we get to see those lines on ice.
The more I look at them, the more stoked about them I get. I really, really hope Lang signs, and that everyone stays healthy and plays up to their ability. Those lines are so balanced, both as a top-nine and as individual lines. They all play to each other's strengths so well. The bottom line would be something like Pyatt-Fiddler-Korpikoski (assuming Tikhonov and Porter are sent down), which is about as much as you could ask for from a fourth line.

Old
09-29-2009, 01:31 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX View Post
Can Lang still skate though? 39 is old for someone who has played as much hockey as he has.
Doesn't matter. I see him as strictly someone to get Mueller the puck. Mueller can't skate either. In fact, I like him with a slower center, I think. Mueller would never keep up with Lombardi. Lang, on the other hand...

I like Doan for that line, leaving Boedker for the super speedy combo or Lombardi and Upshall.

Doan-Lang-Mueller
Upshall-Lombardi-Boedker
Prucha-Hanzal-Vrbata
Korpikoski-Fiddler-Pyatt
Winnik

...Porter can get a ton of time with some really talented teammates down in San Antonio. A stacked team that should really build a winning tradition down there.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 01:35 PM
Art.Vandelay
@kash2112

AZCentral is reporting it's a done deal pending a physical. No terms.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...yoteslang.html

Art.Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 01:36 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX View Post
While he's getting well up there in age, his game hasn't relied on speed so you'd think he wouldn't suffer so much from losing a step. He also was very effective with nearly 17min ATOI last season in Montreal.

mouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 01:40 PM
HockeyHillbilly

Good signing... Obviously given his experience he could help with our young Czechs.

Thinking about heading out to La la land for the game on Sat. would anyone be interested in possibly driving out with me?... I may have a line on a few free lower bowl tix. Hit me up in a PM. I know RR is going too.

HockeyHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote