HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Coyotes sign Robert Lang

Old
09-29-2009, 04:01 PM
pyregretzky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
I guess my point was why do we need a signing for "vet leadership?" I think we have adequate leadership, wasn't that the rationale for signing a Ricci, Hull, JR etc.
The team is still incredibly young and you need more players to lead by example than just Doan. Having additional leadership is never a bad thing but if you are really still baffled by the move just put a little bit of faith in Maloney. He has done a pretty spectacular job considering the circumstances and this move means that we have better center depth too

pyregretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 04:10 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
Nope. Mike Ricci in the sense that like Ricci, Lang is on the downside of his career and a lingering injury may keep him out of the lineup.
The real crime with Ricci was signing him to a three year deal. That the first year ended up being the lockout didn't help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
My Detroit fan friends all hate the guy. I kinda take that as a good sign for some reason.
His style of play wasn't a great mesh with Detroit's system, plus he was one of the scapegoats in the playoffs his final season there. Yet he was still an effective #2 center during his tenure in Detroit. I think we'd be very happy to get a comparable level of production out of him.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 04:11 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

What? What a waste Maloney....now what are you going to do with Hollweg?

Curse you Maloney!!!

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 04:14 PM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I guess my point was why do we need a signing for "vet leadership?" I think we have adequate leadership, wasn't that the rationale for signing a Ricci, Hull, JR etc.
I don't think we got him for his "veteran leadership". The guy was on pace for 25+ goals last season. Neither Ricci, Hull or JR were putting up those kinds of numbers when they got here.

If he's healthy, we just got oursleves yet another 20+ goal scorer. Neither Porter nor Winnik are going to get close to that this season.

Look at our roster. Apart from Doan's 25+ goals each of the past 5 seasons:

Upshall scored ~15 goals the past 2 seasons.
Lombardi 20, 14, 14 the past 3.
Vrbata 13, 14 and 27 before his personal troubles last season.
Then Prucha, Mueller have scored 20 goals no long ago.
And Hanzal, in an offensive role, could rack up some pretty good stats as well.

Lang? 20,19,21,18 goals each season since the lockout. Those are better & more consistent numbers than anyone on our roster not named Doan. And we didn't have to give anything away for him.

What's not to like?

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 04:16 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

The best part isn't even the goals Lang will score. It's the goals Mueller will score with Lang's help.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 04:21 PM
kingbrutis

Hollweg was put on waivers today. Go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyllyx View Post
In other words, a typical Maloney signing (outside of Hollweg ).

I had Lang in my fantasy hockey pool last season and before the injury he was cranking out the points for me - so I have a soft spot in my heart for the guy...

kingbrutis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 04:23 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

source for Hollweg ?

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 04:25 PM
WJF

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
Upside: Lang brings scoring depth and much needed veteran leadership/playoff experience.

Negatives: This has the potential to be Mike Ricci part 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
I think you mean Tony Amonte part 2.
Quote:
Jeremy Roenick part II

Bret Hull part II

Who else have we brought in prior to being put out to pasture?

Why do we need Veteran Leadership? Is Doan, JoVo not big enough of a Vet?
Petr Nedved 2.0

WJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 04:26 PM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

We still really need Mueller, Hanzal and Boedker to step up though.

Vrbata / Lang / Lombardi / Upshall more than compensate for the loss of Jokinen / Rhino / Lisin defensively, but not by much offensively (unlesss all 4 have a solid season of course).

Unless our 3 youngsters all get close to 20 goals next season, I don't see us faring much better than last year.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 04:27 PM
WJF

Quote:
source for Hollweg ?
Check arizona republic Lang article, they mention Hollweg placed on waivers

Old
09-29-2009, 04:30 PM
FuriousBob

I am really happy to see Lang get another shot. He was great with us, great on the face off, good defensive and offensive game, big body. If he healed completely from his injury he will help pheonix alot.

FuriousBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 04:34 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJF View Post
Petr Nedved 2.0
Money and expectations. Both are likely very different in Lang's case than they were in Nedved's. Plus, we traded Daymond Langkow for Denis Gauthier and Oleg Saprykin to make room for Nedved. I HATED that return at the time, and it's only gotten worse and worse since the trade. Also, remember that Nedved was only a Coyote for a little while before suffering that concussion at the hands of Todd Fedoruk, in retaliation for Gauthier's antics. Things might have been different otherwise. Probably not, but maybe. Either way, Nedved got a much richer contract than Lang will, and people were expecting that point per game version of Nedved that played in Edmonton and the Czech. league during the lock-out. Instead we got the broken down version that played for the Rangers in his final season there. I'm guessing Lang will get a one year deal worth about two million bucks, and I'm hoping he can get fourty or fifty points for us. I think that is a realistic range, and a totally fair price. It's hard to be let down when you're buying from the bargain bin and not expecting a whole lot.

Old
09-29-2009, 04:36 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

Just please be healthy. An older player, combined with a leg/foot injury, no less an achilles injury could be a disaster.

Naych_PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 04:40 PM
WJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Money and expectations. Both are likely very different in Lang's case than they were in Nedved's. Plus, we traded Daymond Langkow for Denis Gauthier and Oleg Saprykin to make room for Nedved. I HATED that return at the time, and it's only gotten worse and worse since the trade. Also, remember that Nedved was only a Coyote for a little while before suffering that concussion at the hands of Todd Fedoruk, in retaliation for Gauthier's antics. Things might have been different otherwise. Probably not, but maybe. Either way, Nedved got a much richer contract than Lang will, and people were expecting that point per game version of Nedved that played in Edmonton and the Czech. league during the lock-out. Instead we got the broken down version that played for the Rangers in his final season there. I'm guessing Lang will get a one year deal worth about two million bucks, and I'm hoping he can get fourty or fifty points for us. I think that is a realistic range, and a totally fair price. It's hard to be let down when you're buying from the bargain bin and not expecting a whole lot.
Maybe so. Though I remember the expectations were similar when Nedved was brought here (i.e. 20-30-50). The other similarity is that Lang is injury plagued. Has he ever even played a full season. So if he plays on the second line, puts up decent numbers and then gets injured, it creates a huge gap and disturbance for the team who then have to call up porter and get him to fill 2nd or 3rd line minutes with teamates with whom he hasnt developed chemistry yet. Also, Lang is coming off a serious injury and has no training camp. To give a guy like that 17-18 minutes and 2nd line duties off the get-go may be saddling him with too much. I'll be interested to see how Tippet fits him in.

At this point the only thing i'm truly excited is the boost that the PP will hopefully get with his faceoff prowess and PP experience.

Old
09-29-2009, 04:42 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naych_PHX View Post
Just please be healthy. An older player, combined with a leg/foot injury, no less an achilles injury could be a disaster.
Depends on the price. At the very least it got Hollweg put on waivers. That alone makes this worth it. Maybe if he has taken a step back he can still hold his own in a more decreased role. Maybe something like...

Upshall-Lombardi-Doan
Mueller-Hanzal-Vrbata
Prucha-Lang-Boedker

Old
09-29-2009, 04:45 PM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbrutis View Post
Hollweg was put on waivers today. Go figure.
With Lang, makes sense. Signed RH to 2-way deal, who's going to claim him going down?

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 04:49 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
With Lang, makes sense. Signed RH to 2-way deal, who's going to claim him going down?
MAYBE someone who wanted him on a 2 way deal before, but he refused and wanted a 1 way. I doubt there's anyone interested, though. He will be down in SA creating havoc with Lessard. Works for me. I think he was designated nacho boy up here anyways. Tippet likes abrasive players (Ott, Morrow) but they can actually play hockey.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 04:49 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJF View Post
Maybe so. Though I remember the expectations were similar when Nedved was brought here (i.e. 20-30-50).
No. We already had that in Daymond Langkow, who had scored at least fifty points in five straight NHL seasons. The younger, cheaper, more two-way Langkow was traded specificly to make room for Nedved, who was supposedly going to be the better offensive player.
Quote:
The other similarity is that Lang is injury plagued. Has he ever even played a full season. So if he plays on the second line, puts up decent numbers and then gets injured, it creates a huge gap and disturbance for the team who then have to call up porter and get him to fill 2nd or 3rd line minutes with teamates with whom he hasnt developed chemistry yet. Also, Lang is coming off a serious injury and has no training camp. To give a guy like that 17-18 minutes and 2nd line duties off the get-go may be saddling him with too much. I'll be interested to see how Tippet fits him in.
My guess is that he's basically taking Porter's spot. I would think Lang can produce a little more than Porter. I could be wrong, but I would guess he can. Also, maybe Lang getting injured so we can reward some of our better San Antonio players with some NHL experience isn't the worst thing in the world.
Quote:
At this point the only thing i'm truly excited is the boost that the PP will hopefully get with his faceoff prowess and PP experience.
Good enough for me.

Old
09-29-2009, 04:57 PM
hao chi

I was looking forward to having Porter on the team this year, but Lang still sounds like a good signing. And at least we'll have Porter to recall if Lang goes down with an injury.

hao chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 04:58 PM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hao chi View Post
I was looking forward to having Porter on the team this year, but Lang still sounds like a good signing. And at least we'll have Porter to recall if Lang goes down with an injury.
Screw that. Send Winnik down. Porter has more upside.

zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 05:00 PM
yakko

Quote:
That is actually a good reason to send Porter down. Winnik is looking like a 13th or 14th forward, which will mean a lot of time in the press box. The player getting sent down will get more ice time than the player that stays up.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 05:02 PM
hao chi

Quote:
Unless Tippett can make sure Porter will get good minutes, I'd rather see him in the AHL and have Winnik on our fourth line.

hao chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 05:02 PM
SH1VERmeT1MBERS

Who did Lang play with in Montreal?

SH1VERmeT1MBERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 05:32 PM
hao chi

Coyotes website confirms it.