HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Matt Lashoff is on waivers! Isles?

Old
09-29-2009, 08:25 PM
Seph

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seph
Lashoff I would actually be happy about acquiring. Kid still has a ways to go before he's truly ready, but I think he has far better odds of being able to turn it around than Schremp.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 08:36 PM
supeez
HFBoards Sponsor

After being waived, does 24 hrs have to pass before any announcement is made on that waived player?

supeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 08:45 PM
SLAPSHOT723
QU 2014 - Isles Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by supeez View Post
After being waived, does 24 hrs have to pass before any announcement is made on that waived player?
We'll find out at noon tomorrow where he's been claimed.

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 08:47 PM
OpAck

That is correct...I believe we found out about Schremp just before noon.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 08:52 PM
supeez
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot723 View Post
We'll find out at noon tomorrow where he's been claimed.
So I really shouldn't bother hoping to find out anything tonight. This makes to much sense so I shouldn't hold my breath. Lashoff probably better than half of our top six D and a former Gordon guy all for nothing but his contract.

supeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 09:00 PM
SLAPSHOT723
QU 2014 - Isles Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by supeez View Post
So I really shouldn't bother hoping to find out anything tonight. This makes to much sense so I shouldn't hold my breath. Lashoff probably better than half of our top six D and a former Gordon guy all for nothing but his contract.
Well nothing's set in stone, but check at 12:01 to see where he ends up.

Is this even a confirmed rumor, actually?

Last edited by SLAPSHOT723: 09-29-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Old
09-29-2009, 09:07 PM
VHC

Send a message via AIM to VHC
Crossing my fingers.

VHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 10:12 PM
bones21212

i dont see anything on tsn.ca or nhl.com about this.
anybody have a link?
if true, id really like for garth to snatch up on him.

bones21212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 10:25 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

It certainly makes sense. This is another "no-brainer" type of pickup for a Rebuilding team. He's got talent and SIZE, would you look at that. He's also a Boston product, so I'm sure Gordon knows a thing or two.

I say the Isles claim him. If the Isles walk away from the waiver process with Shremp and Lashoff, than crap. Snow made out.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 10:33 PM
Renbarg

I think the only problem here, in the immediate future, is playing time. Hillen is in the same boat Lashoff is in, if we get 8 it just gets crowded. And yes I do know that by November we will be digging in cemeteries looking for warm bodies.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 11:04 PM
VHC

Send a message via AIM to VHC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps527 View Post
I think the only problem here, in the immediate future, is playing time. Hillen is in the same boat Lashoff is in, if we get 8 it just gets crowded. And yes I do know that by November we will be digging in cemeteries looking for warm bodies.
Not only will we need more bodies, but being crowded is good. The cream rises to the top.

VHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 03:45 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Question: we had the first jabbing rights on the waiver wire. We took Schremp. Doesn't that mean that the rest of the league now has an opportunity to take guys before we get another opportunity, like with the draft?

Or can we take as many players as we want as long as we place bodies from our roster on the waiver wire?

Just curious how exactly this works...

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 05:10 AM
mitchy22

Hillen/Meyer/Lashoff (who wins? or do $$$?)

Hillen as far as I can figure isn't waiver eligible until 70 games (he's played 42) or April 1, 2011 as he signed his first contract at the age of 22 which was announced April 1, 2008 (and 3 years from that date he would be waiver eligible if I'm correct, or 70 games played whichever comes first.)

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=465592
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=73773

So the question is a matter of dollars and how impressed the team is with Hillen and Meyer as compared to what they have seen of Lashoff or whether or not anyone is starting the season on the IR.

If they view Lashoff as better then after that it's just a matter of dollars and the Islanders budget (waive Freddy and pay him as I doubt he would be picked up, or waive Hillen and pay him as he's on a one-way as well and I believe does not have to pass through waivers.)

Guess we'll find out soon enough. We DO have first pick on the waiver wire (that's been said in this thread just throwing it out there again) at this stage of the season (not having started yet) and that the order doesn't change until November 1st where it's based on current league standings at that time (info according to http://nhlscap.com/waivers.htm which I believe mimics the CBA well the one time I double checked.)

Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 06:19 AM
Toujin

I really hope GMG snags him! As others of said, Hillen and The Warrior FMIV are pretty expandable, and this guy sounds like he could develop into someone halfway decent. The guys over on the Tampa Bay board don't seem to thrilled about seeing him put on waivers, so maybe that's a good sign!

I miiiight stay up til 1am to see if GMG pulls the trigger. This 13 hour time difference is gonna suck, especially when the season starts

Toujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 06:59 AM
John TavArt Ross

Might be a silly question, but since the Isles made a waiver pick up are they now 30th overall for waivers? Or do they retain the #1?

John TavArt Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 07:38 AM
ettlinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasm37 View Post
Might be a silly question, but since the Isles made a waiver pick up are they now 30th overall for waivers? Or do they retain the #1?
The Islanders, by virtue of their last-place finish last season, got first crack at ANY player on waivers.

(http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=293056)

ettlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 07:58 AM
doublechili

vCash: 350
Do the Isles still get first shot at waived players?

I hope so, because getting Lashoff would be a low risk, high reward move.

BTW, any word on DP?

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 08:21 AM
Chardo

No such thing as having too many D-men. Everyone except Streit got injured last year. Witt, Martinek, and Sutton get hurt every year. Nothing wrong with having 8 or 9 NHL-caliber D-men, especially when you have ample cap space for them. Worst case is you're blessed with 2 or 3 healthy scratches every night.

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 08:23 AM
Poulin60

Isles Future

If the Isles don't claim him they there is something wrong with the choices they are making. I know the isles get the 1st claim again so lets look at this healthy lineup.

Tavares - Weight - Schremp
Tambelini - Bailey - Okposo
Hunter - Neilsen - Comeau
Thompson - Park - Sim

Witt - Martinek
Streit - Sutton
Lashoff - Gervais

Roloson
Biron

I think it would be a no brainer for the Isles... Hillen and Meyer are crap... servicable but still not worth it in the rebuild. How quickly we forget that we waived Meyer already last year before he came back. Giving a chance to Lashoff and sending Hillen to the Bridge and waiving Meyer would give a kid like DeHaan a chance to develop and maybe bring him along next season where he will be bigger and have a better chance to help the team. Face it we all questioned the DeHaan choice but he looks real good. Only needs to gain some weight to be able to accept the NHL grind.

I would be much more happy to watch the team above then see hillen and Meyer back there.

Poulin60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 08:30 AM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

The Isles need to continue to pick up players that make sense. Lashoff would be an EXCELLENT pick up. Scremp was a solid pick-up with upside. If it does not work—it takes nothing away from the rebuild.

The same for Lashoff.

The guy played 28 games last season on the 2nd worst team in the NHL and was only a -6. He is a former first rounder, is young and could prove to be an asset. He also has size which our blueline needs.

I know we have Witt, Martinek, Sutton, Gervais, Striet, Hillen Meyer—and we also have de Haan, and a few other poking around for an NHL job. Adding Lashoff may seem like overkill—but you know Martinek and Sutton will be down with injury for a stretch, and it is not out of the rhelm of possibility that Gervais gets hurt.

I love what I have seen of de Haan thus far—but I think after his 9 games here—he should go to his Junior team where he can mature his game. Putting an 18 year old defenseman on an NHL team is risky to say the least. His skills will ave to be at a high caliber to warrant such a promotion, and I am not sold on his ability to play this level quite yet.

Adding Lashoff give us two things. Better depth and more time for the young defenseman. This is a NO BRAINER to me. You have to take him. He would become (if considered a prospect still) our best defensive prospect—I would even put him in front of de Haan simply because he is more mature and has more NHL experience at this point in time.

Take him Garth!!

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 08:33 AM
SLAPSHOT723
QU 2014 - Isles Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by islesfan39 View Post
If the Isles don't claim him they there is something wrong with the choices they are making. I know the isles get the 1st claim again so lets look at this healthy lineup.

Thompson - Park - Sim

Witt - Martinek
Streit - Sutton
Lashoff - Gervais

Roloson
Biron

I think it would be a no brainer for the Isles... Hillen and Meyer are crap... servicable but still not worth it in the rebuild. How quickly we forget that we waived Meyer already last year before he came back. Giving a chance to Lashoff and sending Hillen to the Bridge and waiving Meyer would give a kid like DeHaan a chance to develop and maybe bring him along next season where he will be bigger and have a better chance to help the team. Face it we all questioned the DeHaan choice but he looks real good. Only needs to gain some weight to be able to accept the NHL grind.

I would be much more happy to watch the team above then see hillen and Meyer back there.
You forgot Bergenheim, but our team suddenly looks better with Lashoff and Schremp. PLEASE GARTH! PLEASE!

Old
09-30-2009, 08:35 AM
hgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
Snow made out.

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 08:36 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatarush1234 View Post
Are you serious about sending Meyer down?!?! If you dont remember from the Vancouver Hockeyville Game that Meyer is one of our top 4 defensemen...Why would we want to do that!!??!
actually, youre wrong...meyer and sutton are 2-3. how dare you insult him by calling him a 4?

matt lashoff to the isles is a no-brainer. schremp might not work out but lashoff is a real good pickup. just hope snow sees it

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 08:38 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by islesfan39 View Post

Thompson - Park - Sim

Witt - Martinek
Streit - Sutton
Lashoff - Gervais

Roloson
Biron

sorry my friend but i think KO is on the first line and schremp is on the second. jt, weight and schremp would be a real bad combo IMO.

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 08:42 AM
John TavArt Ross

So if they do decide, isn't that like picking up 4 first rounders this offseason?

John TavArt Ross is offline   Reply With Quote